E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > Health & Fitness

Health & Fitness
Discuss any topics related to heath and fitness here.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-13-2013, 10:18 AM   #61
bostonsc4
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: MA
Posts: 517
My Ride: BMW 323i
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3Inline6 View Post
Form suggestion.....

...keep your shoulders back at all times. At 0:03, you drive your shoulders up and cause rounding. That's going to impair your bench, and it illustrates that you're benching "with your shoulders" rather than your chest. Good job on the 1RM though.


And yeah....your spotter sucks. Get a new one!
I really focused hard on using my chest to squeeze and press that bar up this morning. My 1RM of 185 has officially become a 2RM. I really felt that squeeze in my chest and pressed down with my feet flat on the floor and that bar shot up twice with strict form. Thanks for that advice m3
bostonsc4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 04:19 PM   #62
bostonsc4
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: MA
Posts: 517
My Ride: BMW 323i
I took M3 and some other guys advice today and tried some Barbell curling (arm day for me, dabears you can hate me all you want I like my arm day )

I see way too many people BB curling and using about 10% biceps and 90% back. So I figured I'd avoid this as best possible and felt like I was opposite that ratio if not perfect isolation. I managed 5x5 with weight ranging from the bar itself, up to 95 lbs then back down. My bis were ripping out of my arms when I finished this set of these. I would then go on to do preacher curls some crazy number of sets of 8 reps, I felt strong today. Did other little things then moved to tris and did close grip benching, skull crushers and 5 sets of 10 90* dips. I left the gym today feeling like the hulk.
bostonsc4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 04:32 PM   #63
dabears
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Edmonton/Vernon
Posts: 223
My Ride: 2003 BMW M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by bostonsc4 View Post
I took M3 and some other guys advice today and tried some Barbell curling (arm day for me, dabears you can hate me all you want I like my arm day )

I see way too many people BB curling and using about 10% biceps and 90% back. So I figured I'd avoid this as best possible and felt like I was opposite that ratio if not perfect isolation. I managed 5x5 with weight ranging from the bar itself, up to 95 lbs then back down. My bis were ripping out of my arms when I finished this set of these. I would then go on to do preacher curls some crazy number of sets of 8 reps, I felt strong today. Did other little things then moved to tris and did close grip benching, skull crushers and 5 sets of 10 90* dips. I left the gym today feeling like the hulk.
hey man if you like working your arms and are still making sure it isn't interfering / replacing the main exercises, have at it! I just don't have the time to be in the gym for more than 3 days a week / 60+ minutes so I focus elsewhere

I still need to test my arm strength compared to novembers curl/pulldown numbers to see if I gained strength without direct work
__________________
dabears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 05:01 PM   #64
bostonsc4
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: MA
Posts: 517
My Ride: BMW 323i
Quote:
Originally Posted by dabears View Post
hey man if you like working your arms and are still making sure it isn't interfering / replacing the main exercises, have at it! I just don't have the time to be in the gym for more than 3 days a week / 60+ minutes so I focus elsewhere

I still need to test my arm strength compared to novembers curl/pulldown numbers to see if I gained strength without direct work
That makes sense, I definitely would not include an arm day if I had a 3 day split. I just graduated and I'm home for the summer with nothing to do but train for basic. So... that being said I've gone ~1.75 hours a day every day so far and just hit everything I can think of for that particular day. It's amazing. Tomorrow is shoulders day, which is quickly becoming one of my favorite days thanks to Solly introducing me to BB standing press.
bostonsc4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 06:38 PM   #65
M3Inline6
Ain't buying any more cars!
 
Join Date: Dec 1969
Location: In a squat rack!
Posts: 1,835
My Ride: A sexy ass ///M4!
Quote:
Originally Posted by bostonsc4 View Post
I really focused hard on using my chest to squeeze and press that bar up this morning. My 1RM of 185 has officially become a 2RM. I really felt that squeeze in my chest and pressed down with my feet flat on the floor and that bar shot up twice with strict form. Thanks for that advice m3

Glad to see that it helped! Keep up the good work, and remain open to advice. Well done!
M3Inline6 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 08:35 PM   #66
DylloS
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: NY
Posts: 672
My Ride: nothing
Quote:
Originally Posted by bostonsc4 View Post
That makes sense, I definitely would not include an arm day if I had a 3 day split. I just graduated and I'm home for the summer with nothing to do but train for basic. So... that being said I've gone ~1.75 hours a day every day so far and just hit everything I can think of for that particular day. It's amazing. Tomorrow is shoulders day, which is quickly becoming one of my favorite days thanks to Solly introducing me to BB standing press.
Make sure you get your ears through the hole. I see too many people press and keep it way in front of them. When you press you want it behind your head at the top like this.
DylloS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 02:57 PM   #67
bostonsc4
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: MA
Posts: 517
My Ride: BMW 323i
Got a lot of updates here:

So I realized that I need to start incorporating more cardio and interval training into my routine, because lifting heavy weights isn't going to get me a 100% on the fitness test come basic, so I'm adding cardio to every workout in some way or another. So I'm planning on doing sprinting / punching bag splits / middle distance on the track workouts and a long run once or twice a week on top of my lifting. Which will not change.

I decided to do the PT test myself to see where I'm at, and what I need to work towards. The results were:
Pushups: 72 in 1 minute
Sit-Ups: 40 in 1 minute
1.5 mi run: 10:45
Pull-ups: 10+

With these numbers I'll easily pass or be in the top of the class, but I want to be number one. So I'd like all of these numbers to go up exponentially by Sept when its time to leave.

Todays workout: Chest day
BB Flat: warm up, 135 x5, 155x5, 185 x 4 155 x5 x5, 135 2x10
BB Incline: 95x10, 115 x 10, 135 5x5, 115 x 5, 95 x 10
DB Flat: 5x8 w/ 45s
DB Incline: 5x8 w/ 45s
Pec Fly Machine: 5 x12 @ 65lb

Drove to my school's cross country course, ran 2 miles of hills in 13:57, walked to the track ran a 400m (68 sec) a 200m (29sec) and a 100m (15sec) while speed roping during rest periods. Today was awesome, and I am completely beat.
bostonsc4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 03:42 PM   #68
DylloS
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: NY
Posts: 672
My Ride: nothing
don't get discouraged if you start losing some strength and weight. You're burnin g a lot of cals now. Up the meat and potatoes lol.
DylloS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 01:24 PM   #69
bostonsc4
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: MA
Posts: 517
My Ride: BMW 323i
Training like this is either going to kill me, or make me ascend into heaven as a Greek God.

Back Day:
10 pull-ups wide grip strict form x 3
Lat Pulldowns wide grip slow and controlled 60 x 10, 70 x10, 80 x 10x2,
Deadlift: 135 x 10, 185 x5, 225 x 3 x 5 135 x 10
BB Landmine Rows: 1 plate x 10, 1 plate + 25lb x 10, 2 plates x 10, 2 plates + 25lb x 8, pyramid back down same reps
Wide grip pull-ups strict as possible form till failure (ended up being 3x5 good reps)

Walked downstairs and put the bathing suit on

5 x 100m sprints all at 1:45 pace

bostonsc4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 01:28 PM   #70
DylloS
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: NY
Posts: 672
My Ride: nothing
stop fuucking deadlifting after you're already 2 exercises into the back day. Do the biggest lift first.
DylloS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 01:31 PM   #71
bostonsc4
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: MA
Posts: 517
My Ride: BMW 323i
Quote:
Originally Posted by DylloS View Post
stop fuucking deadlifting after you're already 2 exercises into the back day. Do the biggest lift first.
I almost texted you about this today while I was there! My fvcking gym only has 1 BB -________________- and idiots were too busy curling it for me to use it for DL, I waited and waited and was going to do it first but I just couldn't wait anymore and did upper back things until they got off.
bostonsc4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 10:54 AM   #72
DylloS
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: NY
Posts: 672
My Ride: nothing
Quote:
Originally Posted by bostonsc4 View Post
I almost texted you about this today while I was there! My fvcking gym only has 1 BB -________________- and idiots were too busy curling it for me to use it for DL, I waited and waited and was going to do it first but I just couldn't wait anymore and did upper back things until they got off.
ohh ok np then.
DylloS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 01:32 PM   #73
bostonsc4
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: MA
Posts: 517
My Ride: BMW 323i
Shoulder Day: Warm up with 5's 10's etc lat raises fornt raises etc

Standing Military press (thanks solly): Bar x 10 (to chest), 95x10 (to eye level), 135 x 2 (eye level), 95 x 10 x 3 strict form came down to eye level.

What the chest / eye level means is that I was initially confused as to the difference between a standing military press and a standing overhead BB press. Solly said to come down to my chest with the bar, then shoulder press it up above my head and bring my head forward "Through the hole" and repeat. But, due to my recent rotator cuff injury coming down to my chest with the bar had put a lot of strain on that muscle area that I hurt, so I would keep the bar very linear and come down to the top of my head and back up. So today I tried but and it was a tiny bit uncomfortable coming all the way down to my chest so I met it half way and came down to eye / nose level with the bar and back up. That felt good. Maybe I need to drop the weight and start coming all the way down to my chest.

Seated DB Military: 40x8, 50x8, 65x5, 35 x 10
Delt lateral raise machine: 65lb x 4 x 10
Reverse Pec Fly Machine: 65 x 5 x 10
Shrugs: 135lb x 10, 185 x 2 x8, 135 x 5 x 8
Lat Pulldowns behind the head: 60 x 12, 70x12, 80x12

DONE.

Can't think of any cardio training to do today
bostonsc4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 01:51 PM   #74
dabears
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Edmonton/Vernon
Posts: 223
My Ride: 2003 BMW M3
I think you should keep the weight low and work on the full ROM while your shoulder heals / gets stronger
__________________
dabears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 02:32 PM   #75
bostonsc4
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: MA
Posts: 517
My Ride: BMW 323i
Quote:
Originally Posted by dabears View Post
I think you should keep the weight low and work on the full ROM while your shoulder heals / gets stronger
You got it boss. I remember a while back m3 posted a video of himself seated military BB pressing the Titanic and he came down to the top of his head and back up, so that's just what I've always done.


Cardio for the day ive decided on 3 miles tempo run; (pace between comfort and race pace)

Last edited by bostonsc4; 05-23-2013 at 02:32 PM.
bostonsc4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 02:48 PM   #76
dabears
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Edmonton/Vernon
Posts: 223
My Ride: 2003 BMW M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by bostonsc4 View Post
You got it boss. I remember a while back m3 posted a video of himself seated military BB pressing the Titanic and he came down to the top of his head and back up, so that's just what I've always done.


Cardio for the day ive decided on 3 miles tempo run; (pace between comfort and race pace)
I remember that video, I'm sure he can comment but I think he was going for a massive 2-3RM and would face a possible shoulder injury going lower @ that weight. (or the titanic as you said )

from a shoulder development standpoint my personal opinion would be to do the full ROM, with a weight you feel comfortable with given your injury... it would help rehab it I think

edit: make sure your form is legit too, shoulders back etc.
__________________

Last edited by dabears; 05-23-2013 at 02:50 PM.
dabears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 03:37 PM   #77
DylloS
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: NY
Posts: 672
My Ride: nothing
Quote:
Originally Posted by bostonsc4 View Post
You got it boss. I remember a while back m3 posted a video of himself seated military BB pressing the Titanic and he came down to the top of his head and back up, so that's just what I've always done.


Cardio for the day ive decided on 3 miles tempo run; (pace between comfort and race pace)
I've seen plenty of people do it both ways and get great results. IMO the better way is full ROM. Some people can get away with things others can't and still see good results.
DylloS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 04:52 PM   #78
bostonsc4
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: MA
Posts: 517
My Ride: BMW 323i
Progress picture. This is about 10 months in. My diet is okay at best, really going to turn it up and start eating cleaner than ever. Also since I began my cardio too everyday I'm back down to 153.8 after a run today.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByBimmerApp1369342238.915781.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	71.5 KB
ID:	507193  
bostonsc4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 04:58 PM   #79
DylloS
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: NY
Posts: 672
My Ride: nothing
Quote:
Originally Posted by bostonsc4 View Post
Progress picture. This is about 10 months in. My diet is okay at best, really going to turn it up and start eating cleaner than ever. Also since I began my cardio too everyday I'm back down to 153.8 after a run today.
how tall are you. You have very little fat. Looking good.
DylloS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 01:50 PM   #80
bostonsc4
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: MA
Posts: 517
My Ride: BMW 323i
Leg Day: M3i6's challenge in mind

5min treadmill walk / stretch session

Front Squat: bar x 10, 95x5, 135x5, 185x3 for 2 sets, 205x1, 185x3, 135x6 for 5 sets.

I'm not sure what made others feel unstable at this weight but my trusty cross arm grip worked just fine and I never once felt unsteady or stable. I went ass to grass on every rep at every weight, it all felt fine to me.

DB Lunge: 25lb x 10, 35x6, 45x4
Leg extensions and curls: 3x12 of various weight I don't remember but it was for slow controlled contract and stretch reps.
Seated calf raises: 4x12 with a plate and a 25 while watching a hot girl deadlift in spandex in front of me.

Abs: 5x20 crunches

No cardio for me today cause tomorrow I have an 8-10 miler planned
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByBimmerApp1369417868.576019.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	75.9 KB
ID:	507343  
bostonsc4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Censor is ON





All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:29 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
(c) 1999 - 2011 performanceIX Inc - privacy policy - terms of use