E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > General Off-Topic

General Off-Topic
Everything not about BMWs. Posts must be "primetime" safe and in good taste. You must be logged in to see sub-forums.
Click here to browse all new posts.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 10-02-2014, 06:19 AM   #1
bimmer88
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Sacramento, CA
Posts: 938
My Ride: 06 Lexus GS430
Send a message via AIM to bimmer88
Bora Bora... Anyone been here or know cheaper alternatives that are similar???

Getting married in about a month and considering Bora Bora as one of the the possible honeymoon destinations... I really like the over water bungalow idea and pics i've seen of the place look amazing... only thing is flights are about $3k/person round trip and hotel stay at the Four Seasons is $1k/night... so flight and hotel for two people with a four night stay is about $10k... that's not even including paying for food and excursions yet... i figure a trip here would probably cost about $15k for two people... Is it worth it??? I figure the cost of the hotel stay isn't too bad but $6k for a flight?!?!?!! Any other place that's comparable but cheaper???
__________________

Last edited by bimmer88; 10-02-2014 at 06:34 AM.
bimmer88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2014, 06:37 AM   #2
mistrzmiasta
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: NYC
Posts: 999
My Ride: GLK350,ML63, Duc1098
it's worth it. place is amazing. we spent an insane amount of money but i looked at it as a trip i won't be going on too often so we wanted something special. it was exactly what we needed after the whole wedding fiasco , laid back and relaxed. no too much to do on the island but after a wedding i don't think you want to do too much activities. over water bungalows are great and was the main reason we went there. i don't know about cheaper but my friend went to maldives for his honeymoon and said it was insane as well.
mistrzmiasta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2014, 07:02 AM   #3
oie77
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Distrito Federal
Posts: 86
My Ride: wamta
Never been but did a lot of research, was going to go for my honeymoon. You're on the west cost so getting there and logistics may be a bit easier for you.

We ended up going to the Maldives. It was my second time there and it is simply perfect. There are a number of options based on your budget but if you're looking for a similar experience with the over water bungalows consider the Maldives. I think its somewhat less commercial than Bora Bora so you'll really get a feeling of exclusivity. Some of the world's best diving/snorkeling, etc. It aint cheap, but the service and quality of the experience (we stayed at the Conrad) was really world class so I felt like I got good value, if that's possible...
oie77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2014, 07:38 AM   #4
Zell
Registered User
 
Zell's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: wow such city
Posts: 5,749
My Ride: Has no throttle
West Africa is a pretty good place to visit this time of year.
__________________
Zell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2014, 07:40 AM   #5
mistrzmiasta
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: NYC
Posts: 999
My Ride: GLK350,ML63, Duc1098
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zell View Post
West Africa is a pretty good place to visit this time of year.
yes..you'll find more info in this thread....


http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=1047199
mistrzmiasta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2014, 07:58 AM   #6
NOVAbimmer
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: VA
Posts: 12,544
My Ride: 14 Impala FXST M796
skip the wedding, save your money
__________________
NOVAbimmer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2014, 08:36 AM   #7
casino is no lie
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: CDT
Posts: 76
My Ride: M54B30
Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmer88 View Post
Getting married in about a month and considering Bora Bora as one of the the possible honeymoon destinations... I really like the over water bungalow idea and pics i've seen of the place look amazing... only thing is flights are about $3k/person round trip and hotel stay at the Four Seasons is $1k/night... so flight and hotel for two people with a four night stay is about $10k... that's not even including paying for food and excursions yet... i figure a trip here would probably cost about $15k for two people... Is it worth it??? I figure the cost of the hotel stay isn't too bad but $6k for a flight?!?!?!! Any other place that's comparable but cheaper???
Might be cheaper to go to Aruba. Ask yourself... what does Bora Bora offer than somewhere closer in the Carribbean or Virgin Islands doesn't.
__________________
casino is no lie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2014, 08:44 AM   #8
oie77
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Distrito Federal
Posts: 86
My Ride: wamta
Quote:
Originally Posted by casino is no lie View Post
Might be cheaper to go to Aruba. Ask yourself... what does Bora Bora offer than somewhere closer in the Carribbean or Virgin Islands doesn't.
Seriously? Bora Bora vs. Bahamas??

Generally speaking, the harder some place is to get to, the more rewarding it is once you're there. That's my view at least.

I've been to some top resorts in the Caribbean and even the best spots cannot even touch the level of service you get in in Asia.

So yes, both are beaches, but there are beaches and there are beaches. If you want to be surrounded by dentists from Long Island, and mid westerners on their once-a-year cultural getaway, go to the Caribbean.

I viewed my honeymoon as an opportunity to go someplace we might not get a chance to go again for a long time. Caribbean is a long-weekend spot in my opinion.
oie77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2014, 08:46 AM   #9
SamDoe1
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Minnesnowta
Posts: 3,519
My Ride: Clubs baby seals
Quote:
Originally Posted by casino is no lie View Post
Might be cheaper to go to Aruba. Ask yourself... what does Bora Bora offer than somewhere closer in the Carribbean or Virgin Islands doesn't.
this. other than isolation (why flights are so expensive), there's no real benefit of going there. Tahiti is another good place, may have cheaper hotels but the cost of the flights would be the same. The Caribbean islands are wonderful and very cheap.
SamDoe1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2014, 09:01 AM   #10
mistrzmiasta
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: NYC
Posts: 999
My Ride: GLK350,ML63, Duc1098
Quote:
Originally Posted by casino is no lie View Post
Might be cheaper to go to Aruba. Ask yourself... what does Bora Bora offer than somewhere closer in the Carribbean or Virgin Islands doesn't.

what does it offer? some of the best scenery , gorgeous over water bungalows , no crowds , higher class people that behave accordingly , different level of care , etc etc.

aruba
mistrzmiasta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2014, 09:34 AM   #11
casino is no lie
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: CDT
Posts: 76
My Ride: M54B30
Quote:
Originally Posted by oie77 View Post
Seriously? Bora Bora vs. Bahamas??

Generally speaking, the harder some place is to get to, the more rewarding it is once you're there. That's my view at least.

I've been to some top resorts in the Caribbean and even the best spots cannot even touch the level of service you get in in Asia.

So yes, both are beaches, but there are beaches and there are beaches. If you want to be surrounded by dentists from Long Island, and mid westerners on their once-a-year cultural getaway, go to the Caribbean.

I viewed my honeymoon as an opportunity to go someplace we might not get a chance to go again for a long time. Caribbean is a long-weekend spot in my opinion.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mistrzmiasta View Post
what does it offer? some of the best scenery , gorgeous over water bungalows , no crowds , higher class people that behave accordingly , different level of care , etc etc.

aruba
The initial awe factor wears off quickly for most people. A couple days there and you won't even notice. As for higher class people... right. Because money buys class.

What money can buy you is privacy, service and views anywhere. It's a long flight for slightly better beaches.

But that's my opinion.
__________________
casino is no lie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2014, 09:55 AM   #12
mistrzmiasta
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: NYC
Posts: 999
My Ride: GLK350,ML63, Duc1098
Quote:
Originally Posted by casino is no lie View Post
The initial awe factor wears off quickly for most people. A couple days there and you won't even notice. As for higher class people... right. Because money buys class.

What money can buy you is privacy, service and views anywhere. It's a long flight for slightly better beaches.

But that's my opinion.
i'll agree that money doesn't buy class but in most cases the higher the cost of a vacation the better behaved the people will be. what's next...you're gonna tell him to book through groupon or go on a cruise.
mistrzmiasta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2014, 10:04 AM   #13
oie77
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Distrito Federal
Posts: 86
My Ride: wamta
Quote:
Originally Posted by mistrzmiasta View Post
i'll agree that money doesn't buy class but in most cases the higher the cost of a vacation the better behaved the people will be. what's next...you're gonna tell him to book through groupon or go on a cruise.
I agree. More expensive is not always better and for sure $$ does not buy you class, but in terms of vacations it does tend to mean more exclusive, and a higher caliber of guests and much better service.

In general, you just cant compare Bora Bora to Caribbean. OP, if you have the budget, go all out for you honeymoon.
oie77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2014, 10:21 AM   #14
Lendo
E46Fanatic
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Kenilworth, IL
Posts: 4
My Ride: Chevy Volt
+1 for Uganda
Lendo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2014, 10:27 AM   #15
casino is no lie
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: CDT
Posts: 76
My Ride: M54B30
Quote:
Originally Posted by mistrzmiasta View Post
i'll agree that money doesn't buy class but in most cases the higher the cost of a vacation the better behaved the people will be.
A trip to Paris for the week might cost you a fortune. Using your logic, one should expect better behaved people. All things being equal, how much does that trip cost someone from Belgium?

Perhaps it's only me, but your rationale doesn't seem to really work.
__________________
casino is no lie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2014, 10:36 AM   #16
mookieo2
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 26
I went for my honeymoon and I would highly recommend it. It was our first vacation that was just a relaxing vacation. Usually we go somewhere to go snowboarding , surfing, etc. I was not bored at all. We stayed at the Meridian. They had the biggest glass floor . Most hotels only have a table that you can see through. This way you can tell your girl to go under the hut and give here the flying squirrel. I think it cost us about 13k. Dinner is at least $200 a night. We plan to go back for our ten year anniversary. You can go to Mexico, Aruba, all those places for a regular vacation. When you land in the airport the hotel picks you up in a private boat and brings you to the motu (island) that the hotel is on. You can do excursions to the main island they have a ferry to it. There you can rent a dune buggy or cab and go shopping, eat and drink at Bloody Mary's( recommended), etc. There's only one honeymoon.
mookieo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2014, 10:37 AM   #17
oie77
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Distrito Federal
Posts: 86
My Ride: wamta
Quote:
Originally Posted by casino is no lie View Post
A trip to Paris for the week might cost you a fortune. Using your logic, one should expect better behaved people. All things being equal, how much does that trip cost someone from Belgium?

Perhaps it's only me, but your rationale doesn't seem to really work.
But if you compare the guests at a 5 star lux Paris hotel vs. a 2 star joint, I'd be willing to bet the guests were a higher caliber in the 5 star place.
oie77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2014, 10:37 AM   #18
mistrzmiasta
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: NYC
Posts: 999
My Ride: GLK350,ML63, Duc1098
Quote:
Originally Posted by casino is no lie View Post
A trip to Paris for the week might cost you a fortune. Using your logic, one should expect better behaved people. All things being equal, how much does that trip cost someone from Belgium?

Perhaps it's only me, but your rationale doesn't seem to really work.
it does work but of course true to form a person online will take things to the next level. we are talking about going on vacation to a small island country vs a huge city. the worst part is that what i'm saying is obviously true and you know it but will use poor examples to debate like an idiot over something thats a known fact. yes there will be a few exceptions to the case but even using your paris example you will get a better crowd in an upscale , expensive hotel than a cheap hostel on the outskirts of paris. so even though aruba will give you what you're looking for , a beach vacation where you can relax , bora bora will take it to the next level.

hell using your logic there is no difference between eating at white castle and eleven madison park.

Last edited by mistrzmiasta; 10-02-2014 at 10:38 AM.
mistrzmiasta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2014, 10:40 AM   #19
NOVAbimmer
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: VA
Posts: 12,544
My Ride: 14 Impala FXST M796
Quote:
Originally Posted by mistrzmiasta View Post
cases the higher the cost of a vacation the better behaved the people will be.
Quote:
Originally Posted by oie77 View Post
a higher caliber of guests
I really see what you guys mean, now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mookieo2 View Post
They had the biggest glass floor . Most hotels only have a table that you can see through.This way you can tell your girl to go under the hut and give here the flying squirrel.
__________________
NOVAbimmer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2014, 10:44 AM   #20
mistrzmiasta
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: NYC
Posts: 999
My Ride: GLK350,ML63, Duc1098
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOVAbimmer View Post
I really see what you guys mean, now.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mistrzmiasta View Post
yes there will be a few exceptions to the case.

mistrzmiasta is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Censor is ON





All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:13 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
(c) 1999 - 2011 performanceIX Inc - privacy policy - terms of use