E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > BMW Regional Forums > Regional Forums > Australia

Australia
Check out other E46Fanatics members rides in the Enthusist Directory!

If you don't have your garage setup, sign up today HERE

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-20-2015, 03:09 AM   #1
mangomagic

My Ride: BMW
Buying E46 M3 - Problems found in Pre purchase inspection

Hi guys,

So, i was looking at a M3 and found one that was close to what I wanted.

I did a pre purchase inspection and found these problems:

1. Oil leak near the exhaust - Change of oil ring?

2. Rear Castor Arm Bushes needs replacement

3. Guibo cracked needs replacement

The mechanic was saying these are all road worthy certificate requirements (needs to be fixed for RWC)

The seller was not to happy to change rear castor arm / Guibo since it cost a lot for labour?

My questions is.

1. are those three problems actually be fixed for RWC?

2. What are the approximate prices on fixing these three things

3. Is this a major problem that I should not buy the car based on these problems?

As always, really would appreciate your feedback and thanks for your help in advance.
mangomagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 03-20-2015, 03:38 AM   #2
Jall

My Ride: 328Ci
All are RWC items. None are particularly major and to be expected at this age, the newest M3 is now 9 years old. (This won't be your biggest maintenance bill!)
Old 03-20-2015, 03:41 AM   #3
mangomagic

Thanks for the reply

Are they expensive to replace?

I think the owner is trying to get away without fixing these (somehow) and get RWC.
Old 03-20-2015, 03:59 AM   #4
bumpgums

My Ride: bmw
1) Oil leak near exhaust,would be constant oil press valve. Screws out with flat head peice
2) trailing arm bushes always wear on M3s. Arnt too hard to change about 2 hours with the right tools
3) guibo cracked another 1-2 hour job. Peice of cake but getting to it is the time consuming bit. Also check your centre bearing while your there

If thats absolutely 100% all thats wrong with it its a very good buy imo,Well dependingon price etc.

Remember though subframe bushes,diff bushes etc will always wear. M3 i bought had only 100k on it and the subframe bushes 3 out of 4 were severely worn,worn out bushes along with the trailing arm bushes etc = more force going through the floor. No floor cracks can be seen?
bumpgums is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2015, 04:25 AM   #5
mangomagic

Apparently no cracks on the subframe.
How do you guys do the deposits? Do you just pay through bank transaction? Do you guys get a receipt for the deposit etc?
Old 03-20-2015, 04:36 AM   #6
bumpgums

i always write one up. Take down their details including license #.
write what ever you agreed to,get him to sign and yourself,date it and make 2 copies one for you and one for them.
Never had a problem doing it this way,have heard plenty of people leaving deposits....days later they never here from seller again. At the end of the day better to have it in paper then nothing at all
Best of luck man,hopefully everything runs smooth
Old 03-27-2015, 04:05 AM   #7
mangomagic

Quote:
Originally Posted by bumpgums View Post
i always write one up. Take down their details including license #.
write what ever you agreed to,get him to sign and yourself,date it and make 2 copies one for you and one for them.
Never had a problem doing it this way,have heard plenty of people leaving deposits....days later they never here from seller again. At the end of the day better to have it in paper then nothing at all
Best of luck man,hopefully everything runs smooth
Hey thanks, I paid the deposit and now about to pay the rest. He won't give me the keys until the bank cheque is cleared. (takes upto three days apparently).

I don't want to pay someone and wait 3 days to get the keys.

How do you guys do it? Did the seller give you the key straight after handing over the bank cheque?
Old 03-27-2015, 04:16 AM   #8
Bafffyyy

My Ride: is Individual
Send a message via Skype™ to Bafffyyy
Yes. After bank deposit was given, the keys were handed over to me.

'03 Individual in Estoril Blue//Electric Fan Conversion//GAS Rebuilt DISA//
Mobil1/Redline fluids//ECS Tuning CF Strut Bar//Umnitza Orion V4's//Eagle Eye LED Tails
Bafffyyy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2015, 04:52 AM   #9
BMW E465

My Ride: 1dirty5
Offer to go with him to your bank so he can witness the bank cheque being produced on the spot. Exchange on the spot should be more likely... ?

Alternatively if he's adamant on waiting till the funds clear, get him to pay $16 for a special/express clearance of the cheque... usually 1 day turnaround (make sure it's all documented in an updated contract)

Last edited by BMW E465; 03-27-2015 at 04:52 AM.
BMW E465 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2015, 06:25 AM   #10
bumpgums

just wait till it processes. I would do the same as he has done
Old 03-27-2015, 06:48 AM   #11
Alexander13

My Ride: 328ci
A bank cheque is the most legit type of money - assuming it's actually a legit one. Take him to your bank, get a cheque, go to his bank, bank it. Take keys
Alexander13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2015, 06:55 AM   #12
mangomagic

Other thing that I can't get my head around is, the deposit was paid less than a week ago and this guys is pressuring me by saying there's another guy coming from interstate to view the car? WTF? Isn't deposit suppose to be paid so that you have first dip on the car?
Old 03-27-2015, 06:56 AM   #13
danga

My Ride: WRX
Agree meet him at the bank and do the transfer there and then or depends whether he banks with the same bank as you, you could do a bank transfer and if your with the same bank funds will appear in his account straight away.

Good luck
danga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2015, 06:25 PM   #14
M3_DU

My Ride: '02 M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by mangomagic View Post
Other thing that I can't get my head around is, the deposit was paid less than a week ago and this guys is pressuring me by saying there's another guy coming from interstate to view the car? WTF? Isn't deposit suppose to be paid so that you have first dip on the car?
Seller sounds like a dick. Also a bank cheque is guaranteed by the bank, so he should really give you the keys straight away. When someone buys a new car from a dealer and gives them a bank cheque, the dealer hands over the keys straight away and doesn't wait '3 days'.
M3_DU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 01:09 AM   #15
mangomagic

If the seller sells the car to the other guy, how do I get my deposit back?
Old Yesterday, 01:57 AM   #16
Davconelectric

My Ride: Mainly cars
Rock up with a few big mates and ask for it
Old Yesterday, 03:47 AM   #17
bumpgums

^ Hahaha
Old Yesterday, 06:42 AM   #18
M3 CS

My Ride: All sorts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mangomagic View Post
Hey thanks, I paid the deposit and now about to pay the rest. He won't give me the keys until the bank cheque is cleared. (takes upto three days apparently).

I don't want to pay someone and wait 3 days to get the keys.

How do you guys do it? Did the seller give you the key straight after handing over the bank cheque?
Depends....bought and sold a few cars recently...

Some sellers actually wanted the funds to clear 100% before handing over the keys. Technically, bank cheques can actually be cancelled (although the bank will start asking questions and investigate).....that's why sometimes it's just better to pay with cash, no matter the amount.

In one case, I told the seller I'd cancel on the deal if I couldn't get the car on the day...Needless to say, the car was delivered on the same day.

Other one wanted the funds to clear before the car was delivered (apparently he'd be caught out before)....

Really depends on how you discussed/wrote up your agreement...

M3 CS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 10:44 PM   #19
braaang

My Ride: E46 M3
Hes trying to hurry you along by saying someone else is coming to look at it. If hes untrustworthy, what else is being hidden? Eg about the car
braaang is offline   Reply With Quote