E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > BMW Regional Forums > Regional Forums > Australia

Australia
Check out other E46Fanatics members rides in the Enthusist Directory!

If you don't have your garage setup, sign up today HERE

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-14-2015, 06:40 PM   #1
mangomagic

My Ride: BMW
Avin avant 2

Dose anyone have experience with this unit?

Can we get this in Australia? I wonder they have Australian Maps on their Nav system.
mangomagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 03-15-2015, 05:55 PM   #2
SKR7

My Ride: E46 MY04.5 SMG M3
I have the series 1. I bought mine from the distributor, Tommy, in the States. He's fast, reliable and usually responds to installation questions and any software challenges you face overnight, or faster. I've not had a problem for nearly two years now.

Make sure you buy the extension / replacement wiring loom too. The existing OEM cabling does not work with this unit.

You have to buy and load a GPS App from Google Play. I use Sygic and it works perfectly. Any of the GPS apps will work.

If you buy the unit post here again and I can give you a couple of install tips (i.e. you need a right angle aerial (fakra) plug).

Oh and I used FHRX studios in Caringbah to install mine as I'm no tech head.
Old 03-16-2015, 08:49 PM   #3
headlock

My Ride: E46 M3
I just installed mine a couple weeks ago. As SKR said, you will need a right angle Fakra antenna plug. I bought this one

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Fakra-mal...item234adab031

haven't received it yet, but that's what you need. The one provided doesn't allow the unit to sit flush in the dash.

if you have OEM TV / Nav you will need the 6m extension cable.

Installation is easy, Trim removal tools are supplied and work well. Extracting the oem double din head unit requires either DIN removal tools - or you can use a nail file (which is what i did). It's a pain in the ass with a nail file but doable. If you use the extension cable you need to tap a wire for illumination. The orange wire on the harness needs to be connected to an illumination source. There's a light in the ashtray you can use.

Here's a DIY that covers it pretty well.
http://www.ichibandrives.com/article...llation-guide/

note the rear seat cushion does not just pull out. There is a large clip, release the barbs from the boot first. I made this mistake and broke the clip. Need to replace it at some point. Only trim piece i broke

For GPS i've used mapfactor navigator as it's free and works offline once you download the map. The default is google maps, which requires an internet connection (and i dont want to smash my phones data plan downloading maps right).
https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...avigator&hl=en

The standard MP3 player on the unit is not great. It doesn't use ID3 track tags (plays in file name alphabetical order.. urgh) and doesn't do gapless. Poweramp or Rocket Player are good alternatives. I've found a slight bug in rocket player on the avin, you need to press pause before turning the car off / making a phone call or it forgets where it is playing. I'm in contact with them to try and work through it as i really like rocket player. Poweramp works perfectly but the volume is very quiet and you need to crank it. Meh, both better than the standard player.
The internal mic in the AVIN seems to work well, i didn't bother with an external one. I'm having problems with the phone book not syncing with my phone. Just comes up with "phone book null". I have a GS5. A few other people have reported similar issues. Otherwise Bluetooth works well, including audio streaming.

OS response is good. Takes maybe 20 seconds to boot from a cold start, if not less. Instant from a warm start. Once everything is loaded it's very snappy and responsive.

I'd recommend it, i'm very happy. Once i have the antenna hooked up it'll be pretty much perfect. Only thing i would like is to be able to change the default actions from the home screen, so when i press "USB" it opens another player instead of the crappy standard one. Also i have had basically no communication from Tommy. Given there was just a massive group buy and he's being hammered by 30+ M3 owners with questions, i'm not judging him for not getting back to me.

Last edited by headlock; 03-16-2015 at 10:30 PM.
headlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2015, 04:25 AM   #4
mangomagic

My Ride: BMW
Wow, thank you for your detailed review guys. Very helpful. I think I'm gonna consider buying this
mangomagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2015, 08:08 PM   #5
headlock

i'll just add i've switched from mapfactor to Here, it's better offline.
and i got the phone book working. You need to be very quick to 'allow' it to access the contacts on your phone when prompted. If you wait before pressing the 'allow' button on the phone, it doesn't load the contacts and doesn't try again until you re-pair the phone.
Old 03-27-2015, 10:32 AM   #6
JetBlackE46
Modded

My Ride: E36/E46 M3 E46 323
Quote:
Originally Posted by headlock View Post
i'll just add i've switched from mapfactor to Here, it's better offline.
and i got the phone book working. You need to be very quick to 'allow' it to access the contacts on your phone when prompted. If you wait before pressing the 'allow' button on the phone, it doesn't load the contacts and doesn't try again until you re-pair the phone.
Do you have to "allow" everytime you get in the car or is it automatic after the first time?
Old 03-29-2015, 03:44 AM   #7
headlock

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetBlackE46 View Post
Do you have to "allow" everytime you get in the car or is it automatic after the first time?
only when you re-pair it. So if you switch off bluetooth on your phone, and then switch it back on and reconnect the bluetooth - it will prompt you to allow the car to access the phonebook etc. There may be some way to disable that in the security of the phone but it doesn't bother me enough to look into.
Old 04-19-2016, 11:36 PM   #8
imola_shaun

My Ride: Imola Red E46 M3
Mine has just died after 16 months but only roughly 15 hours of use. for most of the time it existed in an incomplete stereo install so was never operated. Wont power up at all
imola_shaun is offline   Reply With Quote