E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-04-2013, 07:04 PM   #1
DBrown

My Ride: BMW 325 Ci
Angry MaxBimmer Forum is run by some classy individuals I must say

Edit:
So later in this thread I was notified by the moderator of MaxBimmer, and am sorry for falsely accusing him personally. Someone did hack my kijiji account from MaxBimmer and did sign the hacked ad as the MaxBimmer Moderator, but everyone is innocent until proven guilty, so please do not assume that it was specifically him who did the hacking. Anyway my story below is at the time of the incident and has since been pretty much cleared up if you read on through the thread.

Also to clarify Moderators don't have access to users passwords, which I was unsure about when I wrote this. And kijiji ads have a serious flaw, so be certain when posting links about them to anyone. For future warning to anyone who has never actually made a kijiji ad

Original post:

So I'm here to tell a story, I hope this thread doesn't get deleted because what happened to me, makes me very frustrated. I'd like to say first off, I can take a joke, and I don't get offended easily but this was a little too far.

So to start off the story, MaxBimmer is another forum dedicated to BMW's, fellow members here may be a part of it as well. When I first started looking at the forums i had a debate about which one to join, MaxBimmer is a more local forum to me because I am in Canada and MaxBimmer is a Canadian forum. I ended up joining this forum because of its multiple DIY's, useful info and overall very helpful members, and I try my best to be helpful to others as well. Anyway after this incident I'm certain I made the right choice when it comes to which forum/community to join.

So here's my story...

So i have my BMW up for sale. Yes i know . Anyway i made a kijiji ad and an autotrader ad. I posted my car on this site and I decided I would post it on MaxBimmer since they have a lot of Canadian members. When i posted the ads on MaxBimmer and e46Fanatics i posted the kijiji link because it was easier than compressing all my pictures and re uploading them to the respective websites. Additional info was posted on both of the forums compared to the kijiji ad and the benefit was the photos were easily accessed through kijiji. I didn't see a problem with that. I joined MaxBimmer solely to advertise my car for sale, because I figured the people of that forum would appreciate my car and all the work I've put into it. Joining the forum, I didn't read the conditions of use really, just as everyone pretty much who joins does. Apparently in the classifieds section of MaxBimmer requires that there is no cross linking allowed in that section. So my ad was quickly deleted from the forum because it had a kijiji link within it. That's fine, I didn't understand the terms of use, I get it. No problem. I figured end of story, but it didn't end there.

So not soon after this post on MaxBimmer was deleted, my kijiji ad was suddenly taken down due to it being offensive. This didn't make sense to me so i contacted kijiji and they reinstated my ad. When my ad was reinstated what was in the description was NOT what i originally typed. See my attached picture. I signed up for MaxBimmer using my universal password that I use for all of my online accounts that really have no significance, they don't contain financial or any specific information about myself that isn't easily available anywhere else. This password that i use on all these sites, including this one and kijiji at the time has since been changed. So I guess the moderator of MaxBimmer decided to look up my password and try it out on my kijiji account using my posted email from kijiji as my login name. I'm not exactly sure.

Anyway, like I said above I can take a joke, but my name is on that kijiji ad, my phone number, my email, where I live. This guy decided to publicly insult different groups of people using my name and then signed it at the bottom to let me know what kind of person he really is. All I did was post a kijiji link in their classifieds section, holy crap! From now on I will never ever post on that forum after I buy my new BMW, because I'm obviously going to buy another BMW one day . For anyone who is on MaxBimmer be careful next time you make a post, if you offend the moderator (with only a kijiji link) he may take your personal information and hack into other accounts of yours. I just hope the ad while active didn't seriously offend too many of the 73 people who viewed the ad before I was able to change it back.

Just like to end on that I'm glad I'm part of this forum, and that I made the right choice when it comes to forums that I wanted to join 3 years ago. And that for future potential members of this forum, who are on the fence about which forums to join (like I was years ago), to join this forum. E46Fanatics is run by some people with class, and would never say derogatory things on your behalf for posting a kijiji link in a thread or for violating any terms of use for that matter.

That's my rant for the day, just still in shock that there are people out there with this big of a ego, and how they got to be in charge or anything (even something as small as a website).
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Untitled.jpg
Views:	643
Size:	77.9 KB
ID:	498828  

Last edited by DBrown; 04-06-2013 at 12:58 AM.
DBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 04-04-2013, 07:18 PM   #2
GDubois

My Ride: 325Ci
Holy wall of words

Congratulations.
Quote:
Originally Posted by X-310-e46-X
I am homophobic... because I want grandchildren and I would like our species to carry on
GDubois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 07:21 PM   #3
DBrown

Yeah story for the long story, wanted people to get the full picture. Picture pretty much sums it all up
Old 04-04-2013, 07:23 PM   #4
GDubois

My Ride: 325Ci
Ok I read it, really the mod took it too far. Dick move.

Congratulations.
Quote:
Originally Posted by X-310-e46-X
I am homophobic... because I want grandchildren and I would like our species to carry on
GDubois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 07:39 PM   #5
Poncho@home

My Ride: MY04 330Cic ZSP
Quote:
ok i read it, really the mod took it too far. Dick move.
100%
Poncho@home is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 08:02 PM   #6
dmax

My Ride: '99 328i 1.04646 mu
If you report the hacking to the ad site, maybe they'll confirm that it was from another ip address...from there, you could decide to do whatever. I don't know what the whatevers might be...maybe you have a hacker friend.

Right now, sounds like you're assuming it was the mod of that site.

But okay...welcome to Fanatics! You know about the April green celebration? Everyone paints their tires green the 2nd week of April. I have no idea why they do that, but it's pretty cool, I guess. I don't need to really join in though; I'm green all the time.

dmax on the radio--answering all your car questions as best I can!
watsonnwatson.com every Wednesday at 9 p.m. NYC time. Call in! (661) 449-9340 Click "Watch and Chat"
Please 'friend' me!
https://www.facebook.com/DMaxstandup
dmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 09:10 PM   #7
Marshmallow
Yacht Club Libertarian

My Ride: E46, E30, Quattro
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmax View Post
If you report the hacking to the ad site, maybe they'll confirm that it was from another ip address...from there, you could decide to do whatever. I don't know what the whatevers might be...maybe you have a hacker friend.

Right now, sounds like you're assuming it was the mod of that site.

But okay...welcome to Fanatics! You know about the April green celebration? Everyone paints their tires green the 2nd week of April. I have no idea why they do that, but it's pretty cool, I guess. I don't need to really join in though; I'm green all the time.
Are you sure it's green?! I must not've received the memo. That's too bad, I really have become fond of the purple.

The Slum Lord Millionaire
"Stay Puft My Friends."

2003 BMW 325xiT "Audrey"
1987 BMW 325i "Lydia"
1990 Audi 90 Quattro Sport 20v "Chloe"

Marshmallow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 09:19 PM   #8
Grande D

My Ride: Whiiiite BMW!
That seems quite illegal to me. I'd assume moderators have some form of agreed upon non-disclosure agreements with their hosting services.

i spend it while i can, if i run out i'll swallow all my meds
Grande D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 09:27 PM   #9
pawelgawel

My Ride: 330CI
Derek sorry to hear of this incident... hope a potential buyer didnt flake for this reason.
I just changed my password in Max.

As for Dmax... go Green go

Sent from my SGH-I727R using Bimmer App
pawelgawel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 09:36 PM   #10
HacksawMark
Modded ///Member

My Ride: 2014 Subaru XV
Holy $h*t! How embarrassing! Guess they told you....

Wow! Can't believe this happened. Glad you're here where you belong.
HacksawMark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 12:04 AM   #11
DBrown

Yeah I'm sure not that what was done was illegal. But I'm not really about getting back at the guy. I figured making this post would just show how he digs his own grave by doing things like that. Shows who has the better site anyway right ! I was just so shocked by the whole thing figured I'd share if anyone happens to know the mod of that site.

Last edited by DBrown; 04-05-2013 at 09:42 PM.
Old 04-05-2013, 12:06 AM   #12
DBrown

Quote:
Originally Posted by pawelgawel View Post
Derek sorry to hear of this incident... hope a potential buyer didnt flake for this reason.
I just changed my password in Max.
They'll get that one too haha ! Watch what you post in there from now on
Old 04-05-2013, 12:22 AM   #13
Megalocnus

My Ride: 05 330i ZHP/MT
A fair warning IMHO.
By the way, there is no reason a moderator should have access to user passwords, so chances are this was done by someone higher up the chain.
Megalocnus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 12:44 AM   #14
MJLavelle

My Ride: 2001 BMW 330ci
I can understand that you are not really wanting to get into a fight, but, it would not take a lot of effort to find out if that site is being hosted by an outside company. I am sure someone here could do that.
Once you have that info in hand, you can contact the company that hosts his site, and tell your story. It is fairly clear that the owner/moderator used your login info to hack your personal account on another site. If the company hosting his site is at all reputable, then they may very well shut him down. You could repeat this process as many times as you like, since any new hosts he finds will most likely kick him off as well, once they hear your story. I would continue doing that for years, but that is just me.
This would be a minimal effort sort of thing for you, yet it would be extremely disruptive to him. It is certainly not as involved as contacting authorities, and pressing a legal case.

Personally, I would post this story on Reddit. They are masters of cyber justice. They will post his home address, his cell and work phone numbers, and dig up that picture of his d!ck he sexted to his girlfriend 3 years ago. He will end up having to move to a Unibomber cabin in the woods, just to get some peace, if you can get them worked up enough about this. I may or may not have used this in the past. But, that is just me.
If you are not familiar with Reddit, then just Google for news stories about "Reddit Justice"

Meanwhile, I plan on signing up for his site, and creating a post that states that he uses login info improperly, and is hacking users personal sites, and posting a link to this story. I hope all of you will do the same. He can pull the posts, but a few people will be sure to read them. The more of us who do so, the more trouble it creates for him. I am joking of course.
MJLavelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 09:31 AM   #15
DBrown

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJLavelle View Post
I can understand that you are not really wanting to get into a fight, but, it would not take a lot of effort to find out if that site is being hosted by an outside company. I am sure someone here could do that.
Once you have that info in hand, you can contact the company that hosts his site, and tell your story. It is fairly clear that the owner/moderator used your login info to hack your personal account on another site. If the company hosting his site is at all reputable, then they may very well shut him down. You could repeat this process as many times as you like, since any new hosts he finds will most likely kick him off as well, once they hear your story. I would continue doing that for years, but that is just me.
This would be a minimal effort sort of thing for you, yet it would be extremely disruptive to him. It is certainly not as involved as contacting authorities, and pressing a legal case.

Personally, I would post this story on Reddit. They are masters of cyber justice. They will post his home address, his cell and work phone numbers, and dig up that picture of his d!ck he sexted to his girlfriend 3 years ago. He will end up having to move to a Unibomber cabin in the woods, just to get some peace, if you can get them worked up enough about this. I may or may not have used this in the past. But, that is just me.
If you are not familiar with Reddit, then just Google for news stories about "Reddit Justice"

Meanwhile, I plan on signing up for his site, and creating a post that states that he uses login info improperly, and is hacking users personal sites, and posting a link to this story. I hope all of you will do the same. He can pull the posts, but a few people will be sure to read them. The more of us who do so, the more trouble it creates for him. I am joking of course.
yeah I'm not in for fight, if this story happens to make its way back to him/her and get them in some sort of trouble then, that would be nice, but I'm not about getting justice in that sort of sense. I like the reddit idea though haha actually might use that. I'm over it now, glad that people enjoyed reading my story.

I don't know much about how these forums actually work though, isn't there multiple moderators? or just one ? Based on the comment left at the bottom of the ad, I wouldn't be able to tell who it would be right ?

Last edited by DBrown; 04-05-2013 at 09:34 AM.
Old 04-05-2013, 09:34 AM   #16
HacksawMark
Modded ///Member

My Ride: 2014 Subaru XV
Quote:
Originally Posted by DBrown View Post
yeah I'm not in for fight, if this story happens to make its way back to him/her and get them in some sort of trouble then, that would be nice, but I'm not about getting justice in that sort of sense. I like the reddit idea though haha might use that.

I don't know much about how these forums actually work though, isn't there multiple moderators? or just one ? Based on the comment left at the bottom of the ad, I wouldn't be able to tell who it would be right ?
You'd probably feel different if it was your bank account that was messed with. If this happened to me, I would feel violated and would pursue justice of some kind. Just sayin...
HacksawMark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 09:39 AM   #17
hizhinezz
Outlier

My Ride: 01 330i
What a dbag whoever did that is, if you can find out their address via the ISP or hosting provider or whatever, Id file a lawsuit or better yet get their address and then confront them in person and beat them senseless. Perhaps forum name should be MaxhomoBimmer. He's probably got an inferiority complex re Americans (and before any of our north of the border members take me to task on it, this is a phenomenon that exists in some people's minds without question, my friends and blood relatives in New Brunswick and Montreal recognize it themselves and we've talked about it, and laughed at it, kind of like the Quebeqois' inferiority complex re the rest of Canada, lol).

Proving once again that every country has its fair share of bitches...
Old 04-05-2013, 09:47 AM   #18
choxor

My Ride: JDM
I've never run a forum, but generally on an information system administrators do not have access to unencrypted passwords.
Old 04-05-2013, 09:49 AM   #19
Poncho@home

My Ride: MY04 330Cic ZSP
Quote:
got an inferiority complex re Americans (and before any of our north of the border members take me to task on it, this is a phenomenon that exists in some people's minds without question, my friends and blood relatives in New Brunswick and Montreal recognize it themselves and we've talked about it, and laughed at it, kind of like the Quebeqois' inferiority complex re the rest of Canada, lol)
Sorry, but I know of no Canadian who has an inferiority complex to Americans. I don't mean to offend any American, but that notion is quite laughable. About the only thing Canadians "envy" of the USA is your warmer climate. I won't dig deeper into this, because this debate would result in offending many people on both sides of the border.

OP, I would email the adminstrator of MaxBimmer forums. Normally there is more than 1 moderator and this one has absolutely crossed the line of appropriate behavior. One thing I don't understand, is how the moderator got your password, normally those are stored in encrypted form in the DB.
Poncho@home is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 10:28 AM   #20
lab rat

My Ride: '02 330iT
It's not worth fighting with dbags.
Three lessons learned:
1. don't reuse passwords
2. read user agreements
3. some people are dicks, even in Canada

Tags
hacked, kijiji