E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-06-2013, 04:17 AM   #21
MJLavelle

My Ride: 2001 BMW 330ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdstrickland View Post
Clogged tube? Really? I've never heard of such a thing. The dipstick should pass all of the way through the tube and be submerged into the top of the oil, if the top of the oil is near the tip of the dipstick. Reading oil level does not depend on the oil going up into the dipstick tube. Is it possible that the dipstick tube can have debris on it that wipes the oil off as the stick is pulled out? I've never heard of this happening.

A cure for such a thing might be to push a piece of tissue paper and force it through the tube to clear any debris that might be inside. The downside of this is that tissue will be collected in the oil filter, which should not be a big deal. Changing the oil in a 1000 miles or so will correct this. I think the tissue will be beat to crap so badly that it won't be a problem, but there's the outside-chance however remote that it could become lodged somewhere. I don't think it will get out of the oil pan, to be honest, but if it does then it will be trapped by the filter.
Uuuumm, I do not think that is a good idea. Introducing anything into the oil pan with the hope that it will disintegrate is a dangerous idea. There is no polite way to say this, but this is a bad, dangerous idea. I really hope this was a joke. If it was, it was a bad one.
A far more simple idea would be to remove the dipstick, and clean it out.
I seem to remember someone on here using a paper towel in the oil filter housing, part of it broke off and stayed in the oil, and it ended up clogging the oil system to the point that his engine was starved of oil, and was ruined. I can't be the only one who remembers this, so someone please chime in.

Also, I do not think that it is a clogged dipstick tube, as DMax pointed out. That does not make sense. I think the OP is confusing the CCV system drain line into the dipstick tube with the main dipstick tube when it comes to clogging issues.
MJLavelle is offline   Reply With Quote