E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Driveline, Engine & DME Tuning

Driveline, Engine & DME Tuning
Talk about driveline improvements, NA tuning and DME tuning your E46 BMW here. This includes diffs, intakes, exhausts, chips, software and OBD tuning.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-05-2013, 12:40 PM   #1
330CSL

My Ride: 03 330ci
Alternatives to ATI Damper

Hey Guys,

I was wondering is there any alternatives to the ATI damper. I have the AA tune but rarely take my car past 6500 Revs after hearing all the horror stories and frankly not being able to afford catastrophic failure on my daily driver and only car. I would like some piece of mind short of ordering the ATI damper as I still need to refresh my cooling system and have some other pressing preventive maintenance items first I need to take care of. Any advice would be great.

Best,
Justin
330CSL is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 04-05-2013, 01:40 PM   #2
SoloII///M

My Ride: Many
Keep the revs down. That's your alternative.
Old 04-05-2013, 01:44 PM   #3
mkodama

As far as already built, not many. ATI is the only as far as I know.

But you can have something custom made probably by many of the companies. There are rubber weighted dampers like ATI, but also fluid dampers, and rotating weight dampers, all with their supposed benefits.

Piece of mind would be doing something to better lock the oil pump nut onto the oil pump shaft, which is probably all that's needed on a street car.

mkodama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 05:00 PM   #4
330CSL

My Ride: 03 330ci
Yes, my shift points are at 6k when going WOT but it sometimes slips a bit further into red....I'll guess I'll just have to throw in on the list of things that need to get done on the car. Thanks for the quick replies.
330CSL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 10:21 AM   #5
Blocked Out

My Ride: Imola 330i M-Sport
Why would you want to rev pass 6500? Your can makes peak power at 5800 and your most usable rpm band is 4500-5800.
The only reason why youd ever want to rev over 6000 is if you are doing a flat out run on a closed airport runway

Sent from my X10a using Bimmer App

====>>> E46 Coupe Airbags
IMG_1725
Blocked Out is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 03:03 PM   #6
TerraPhantm

My Ride: 2005 M3 Coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blocked Out View Post
Why would you want to rev pass 6500? Your can makes peak power at 5800 and your most usable rpm band is 4500-5800.
The only reason why youd ever want to rev over 6000 is if you are doing a flat out run on a closed airport runway

Sent from my X10a using Bimmer App
Take gear multiplication into account. Your car is going to be making more torque at the wheels at 6500 in 2nd than it will at 5900 in 3rd. So it will still technically accelerate faster if you shift at red line. It also allows you to be closer to peak power in the next gear
TerraPhantm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 10:12 PM   #7
PEI330Ci
58mm of Bliss

My Ride: 330i, 330Ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by TerraPhantm View Post
Take gear multiplication into account. Your car is going to be making more torque at the wheels at 6500 in 2nd than it will at 5900 in 3rd. So it will still technically accelerate faster if you shift at red line. It also allows you to be closer to peak power in the next gear
What does this have to do with an alternative to an ATI damper?
PEI330Ci is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 11:42 PM   #8
TrippinBimmer

My Ride: ZHP Custom Stage 3.5
Send a message via AIM to TrippinBimmer Send a message via Yahoo to TrippinBimmer
I know of an alternative solution. OEM serious...
TrippinBimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 11:53 PM   #9
F1004fun

My Ride: '02 330Ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by 330CSL View Post
Hey Guys,

I was wondering is there any alternatives to the ATI damper. I have the AA tune but rarely take my car past 6500 Revs after hearing all the horror stories and frankly not being able to afford catastrophic failure on my daily driver and only car. I would like some piece of mind short of ordering the ATI damper as I still need to refresh my cooling system and have some other pressing preventive maintenance items first I need to take care of. Any advice would be great.

Best,
Justin
Hey Justin
I felt the same way as you, so I ordered up a ATI myself. In fact I was the guy that had to pay the extra $100 for them to build the first full street version. It made the harsh harmonic feel of the engine at 6k+ better but with our aluminum engine blocks and long strokes what really can you do. You can hold an stock iron block S52 at 6500 and it's smooth in comparison to our aluminum block motors.
I would honestly just wire, weld, VAC, or Vaio??? your oil pump and drive worry free. The motors left the factory with roughly the same balancing practices, so it will hold together.....just feels like it won't.
Of the other things I did to make the engine feel smoother are a hydraulic main belt tensioner assembly, an E46 M3 timing chain tensioner, and believe it our not an over-running clutch alternator pulley from a VW diesel engine.
F1004fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 12:44 AM   #10
Iceman00
I screwed up and can't post

My Ride: E90 6MT
Don't use a LTW flywheel.
Iceman00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 01:37 PM   #11
TerraPhantm

My Ride: 2005 M3 Coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by PEI330Ci View Post
What does this have to do with an alternative to an ATI damper?
The guy I quoted said there's no reason to drive past 6K RPM (and therefore no need for an improved vibration damper) due to the M54's power curve. I refuted that.

Last edited by TerraPhantm; 04-27-2013 at 01:43 PM.
TerraPhantm is offline   Reply With Quote