E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-05-2013, 12:41 PM   #1
.DatBlackBM.

My Ride: 2003.5 M3 6spd
Keep or Sell???

81,500 miles carbon black m3, bi-xenon, hk sound, csl breaks, milltek exhaust, stainless steel brake lines.. im faced with the decision if i should sell or keep her since she was just diagnosed with VANOS failure... what do you guys think i could get for her if i sell AS IS... She's great inside and out, garaged, and babied like im sure all of us do. - Thanks

Last edited by .DatBlackBM.; 04-05-2013 at 02:31 PM.
.DatBlackBM. is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 04-05-2013, 01:00 PM   #2
scarede46er

My Ride: 2001 BMW 325i ZSP
A remanufactured VANOS from drvanos.com is $1350. See if the car is worth that much to you.
scarede46er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 01:02 PM   #3
ac_2007

My Ride: F32 M4, E46 M3/325i
IMHO the buyer would be getting the better end of the deal if you sold.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjpgolf1 View Post
The e46 M3 is by far the most boring and worst M3 that BMW has made to date.
It's amazing to me that a non M E46 is such a beautiful car but the E46 M has never done much for me.
ac_2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 01:07 PM   #4
Patton323I

My Ride: R1100GS E46 E53
At the very most just swap the S54. But really... just replace the VANOS unit.
Old 04-05-2013, 01:19 PM   #5
.DatBlackBM.

Yeah i was fine with the 1,350 but then i was faced with another 900 on top for the Exhaust Hub which can also give out around the same time(correct?) i don't want to make my mechanic do the same job twice so if im keeping her id rather just have the work done. So now its at 2,250 plus labor at my friends shop, best case scenario would be 2,700. And yeah buyer would definitely get the better end of the deal..
Old 04-05-2013, 01:28 PM   #6
SilverThreeTwoFive

My Ride: 2002 BMW 325i
Start looking around at other cars and see what's out there before you make any sudden decisions... And when looking at these other cars keep asking yourself if you would be happy with any of them over your M3. $2700 is a lot of money (for me at least) but once you spend it and get your car fixed you two will be reunited and you and your M3 can scream down the highway the way she was designed to. And then maybe that 2700 will become a distant, although slightly painful memory and you will still have a lovely M3
SilverThreeTwoFive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 02:26 PM   #7
WDE46

My Ride: 2004 330Ci OBM
Brakes god dammit. BRAKES! B-R-A-K-E-S.

Sorry huge pet peeve of mine.
WDE46 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 02:36 PM   #8
.DatBlackBM.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WDE46 View Post
Brakes god dammit. BRAKES! B-R-A-K-E-S.

Sorry huge pet peeve of mine.

** Edited!!
Old 04-05-2013, 02:43 PM   #9
SilverThreeTwoFive

My Ride: 2002 BMW 325i
Yeah...

Assertion: Got my brakes done today
Response: Oh, nice. Rotors and pads or what?

VS

Assertion: Got my breaks done today
Response: Intersting... What did you have broken? And...why..?
SilverThreeTwoFive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 06:54 PM   #10
mjpgolf1

My Ride: 00 328i ZSP,05 745LI
These cars have potential for expensive repairs all the time. This to me does not seem like an out of the ordinary amount of cash to spend on maintenance for any BMW. It's definitely on the higher side but you should always have a few thousand bucks laying around for these kind of times. You had to know when you bought the car that they are expensive and that things happen. If you have the money to fix the problem then I would do it. The value of the car broken will be a bigger hit then if you fix it and sell it when it's running great. Good luck and sorry to hear about all this.
mjpgolf1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 06:59 PM   #11
Blocked Out

My Ride: Imola 330i M-Sport
So you want to sell your car because you think you can get an equivalent or better car for less money??? Or whats your scenario. Or you will sell it and buy something of a lesser value or a lesser car, like some chinacar

Why are you crying? , you bought an M3 and now that it needs a bit of work you suddenly think thats it makes sense to dump the car and buy another one?

Do you really think that it will be cheaper for you to sell this car and buy another one, instead of fixing this car?

Wipe the tears and fix your car

====>>> E46 Coupe Airbags
IMG_1725
Blocked Out is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 07:36 PM   #12
glhx

My Ride: 2002 BMW 330ci
This car would be less expensive if you fix it yourself. What is besians solution for this problem. What part of the vanos went out? coil pack? sealing plate? sticking valves?

My vanos is m54 and i put in the bearings and seals for $120....the job was sort of in depth but videos and tutorials for everything to guide you...to replace3 it is like $500+

the e46 in general are prohibitively expensive if you dont work on it yourself for a lot of people.

this is not the last thing that will break on your car.

Last edited by glhx; 04-05-2013 at 07:41 PM.
glhx is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 07:48 PM   #13
glhx

My Ride: 2002 BMW 330ci
http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=966657

what is this guy doing to prevent exhaust hub failure?

send him your piece...and see what he can do with it. hes looking for people to test on
glhx is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 08:55 PM   #14
lab rat

My Ride: '02 330iT
fix it
Old 04-06-2013, 09:37 AM   #15
.DatBlackBM.

Thanks for all the responses guys. I went to the shop last night and dropped off the money for all the parts im, fixing her! Theres just no way i can part with her especially after i just got her looking and sounding exactly how i wanted. And in terms of what my plans were for a purchase if i did sell, i was just going to get myself a ducati 999 to hold myself over for the summer. But im happy i made the decision to keep her. The money really isnt a drastic issue, ive just had bad experiences with cars turning into money pits, but honestly the car has no other problems at all.. however they can be unpredictable. I initially wanted to sell the car between 85-87k miles on it so i could get my money back, thats why i was thinking if i should just sell it now before i dumped more cash into it. However, i love the car too much and if i fix her ill just sell her a little later and probably end up getting the same amount of $ back and still have more time to enjoy my M!

Last edited by .DatBlackBM.; 04-06-2013 at 09:40 AM.
.DatBlackBM. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 09:45 AM   #16
scarede46er

imo, a BMW if maintained properly and diagnosed properly will not turn into a money pit. Properly is the key word. A lot of people just throw parts at the problem, most at the urging of some unscrupulous or unskilled, or both, mechanic, and lose their faith in the car.
Old 04-06-2013, 09:51 AM   #17
.DatBlackBM.

I mean, i purchased the car with 73k about 6 months ago, im the 3rd owner and have just about all service records for the last 7 years. So shes been maintained quite well and i have no intention to do otherwise. As for throwing parts at it, my buddy spoke to drvanos on the phone and we both did quite a bit of research so id just rather be safe than sorry and mite as well take advantage to replace what needs to be once the motor is apart.
Old 04-06-2013, 09:51 AM   #18
wildirish317

My Ride: 2004 325Ci vert
I don't really understand people that expect to get their money back out of cars they buy to drive. The only way to do this is to get a steal on the purchase price, which is unlikely on an M3.

If you buy it to drive it, expect to pay to play. If you want to make money, you'll have to find a broken car and fix it to sell. Even then, the chances of making enough money to make it worth your time are slim.

“The test of the machine is the satisfaction it gives you. There isn't any other test. If the machine produces tranquility it's right. If it disturbs you it's wrong until either the machine or your mind is changed.”

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Miller
I just don't know what I'd do with 560 hp that doesn't involve getting arrested.
wildirish317 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 10:00 AM   #19
scarede46er

Quote:
Originally Posted by .DatBlackBM. View Post
I mean, i purchased the car with 73k about 6 months ago, im the 3rd owner and have just about all service records for the last 7 years. So shes been maintained quite well and i have no intention to do otherwise. As for throwing parts at it, my buddy spoke to drvanos on the phone and we both did quite a bit of research so id just rather be safe than sorry and mite as well take advantage to replace what needs to be once the motor is apart.
No, I am not doubting you have the right diagnosis. I am just saying a lot of people in your place would throw it a plethora of parts for this issue-- starting from the throttle body, ICV and MAF.
Old 04-06-2013, 01:08 PM   #20
.DatBlackBM.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildirish317 View Post
I don't really understand people that expect to get their money back out of cars they buy to drive. The only way to do this is to get a steal on the purchase price, which is unlikely on an M3.

If you buy it to drive it, expect to pay to play. If you want to make money, you'll have to find a broken car and fix it to sell. Even then, the chances of making enough money to make it worth your time are slim.
Well this is my 4th car, 2nd bmw, first M, and i have managed to make money on all of my previous vehicles. However this one is the highest milage so i guess i should expect to loose a little on it.