E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > Political Talk

Political Talk
You may discuss anything regarding politics in this forum ONLY. If you cannot respect others opinions, your access to this forum will be removed.

Old 04-17-2013, 07:29 PM   #121
rdsesq
ouroboros autorotica

My Ride: 2002 330i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cabrio330 View Post
I never suggested that news agenices decide based on what they think will sell - please slow down and work on your comprehension skills! That is your idea and frankly I don't think that is completely correct for most news agencies (or the news shows on networks that also offer opinion shows). I said news agencies inherently go with stories they find newsworthy based on the personal beliefs of the persons who decide what to cover. And I don't suggest that is always or even often sinister, just inherent.

No disagreement from me that the media has always been biased, I even suggested that in my post. I will even acknowledge that Fox News is biased. But I am certain the bias has become stronger, more one-sided and even obvious over time. And sure, if you want to include Fox in the definition of mainstream (though I have no idea how their ratings compare to the big 3), fine with me. But 1 out of the many news networks hardly levels the field when you look at total ratings of left-leaning versus right-leaning networks.

And USA Today didn't run a news story - they ran an op-ed by Kirsten Powers, a fomer-Democrat Party consultant who, like Mark Lamont Hill, had the courage to admit and acknowledge what any thinking person already knows. I am happy to explain the difference between news and opinion if necessary!

If the media has always been biased then why do so many get their knickers in a twist about the media being biased?
"the media" being impartial is a joke, and always has been. If you really think bias today is bad, perhaps you might want to look at newspapers from the 19th century and earlier.

Given your post it is clear you obviously can't "explain the difference between news and opinion".
If all media is biased, and always has been, every story is an opinion piece. The inverse is also true, every opinion piece is a news story. Now it may be cynical to look at the harsh reality of that statement. However, a cynic is a what an idealist calls a realist.

"Reality" is subjective, there is always information put in and information excluded from every article (news or opinion). Those additions or omissions may be done consciously or subconsciously. In last analysis, it doesn't matter why they are done, the hard truth is they are. Every "news" report is an opinion. If it is cloaked in such a good "disguise" as to fool people that it is "fair, balanced, and completely objective", then a tip of the cap to the author. As to the "news" consumer....caveat emptor.

quis custodiet ipsos custodes
rdsesq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 08:22 PM   #122
Cabrio330

My Ride: 2005 330cic ZHP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Act of God View Post
Fox news can't even sniff the heels of the big three. It isn't even close...I'm talking 1.5 million people versus 6-8 million people difference (each big 3).
I knew the magnitude of the viewership differences is in the neighborhood of what you state, but I chose to concede this point to rdsesq so our debate would remain relevant to the question of did mainstream media ignore this story and if so, why. So you should point your reply to him, not me.

Regardless, given the absurdity of rdsesq's post above this one ("all news is opinion" - really??!), I would rather discuss this with someone like Mark Lamont Hill who can at least present and defend a cogent point.

Last edited by Cabrio330; 04-17-2013 at 09:01 PM.
Cabrio330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 08:38 PM   #123
Act of God

My Ride: Beach Cruiser
Send a message via AIM to Act of God
Quote:
I knew the magnitude of the viewership differences is in the neighborhood of what you state, but I chose to concede this point to rdsesq so our debate would remain relevant to the question of did mainstream media ignore this story and if so, why. So you should point your reply to him, not me.

Regardless, given the absurdity of rdsesq's post about this one ("all news is opinion" - really??!), I would rather discuss this with someone like Mark Lamont Hill who can at least present and defend a cogent point.
gotcha

“They have the guns and therefore we are for peace and for reformation through the ballot. When we have the guns then it will be through the bullet.” - Saul Alinsky, quoting Lenin
Act of God is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 09:27 PM   #124
rdsesq
ouroboros autorotica

Quote:
Fox news can't even sniff the heels of the big three. It isn't even close...I'm talking 1.5 million people versus 6-8 million people difference (each big 3).
AofG, you appear reasonably well informed on the news of the day, as do any fair number of conservatives. 60 million people voted for Romney. It is a fair assumption that the vast majority of those are conservatives or at least non-liberal leaning. How are these 60 million conservatives are getting news? Certainly not from the liberal media conspiracy to brainwash America because if they did, they wouldn't be conservatives, now would they.

Liberal or conservative is all relative. IMO, all news media is conservative. MSNBC is just as conservative as FOX, they are just conservative about different things.

The WSJ is "liberal" about the free-market, now aren't they.

Old 05-13-2013, 06:21 PM   #125
Act of God

Gosnell guilty of murdering three babies and the death of one patient. New York times refers to babies killed AFTER birth as fetuses, lol.

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/05/14/us...rder.html?_r=0
Quote:
The verdict came after a five-week trial in which the prosecution and the defense battled over whether the fetuses Dr. Gosnell was charged with killing were alive when they were removed from their mothers.
I'm sorry, but under no rational interpretation can you refer to a delivered baby as a fetus. Awful biased reporting.

“They have the guns and therefore we are for peace and for reformation through the ballot. When we have the guns then it will be through the bullet.” - Saul Alinsky, quoting Lenin
Old 05-13-2013, 07:10 PM   #126
rdsesq
ouroboros autorotica

Quote:
I'm sorry, but under no rational interpretation can you refer to a delivered baby as a fetus. Awful biased reporting.
If the umbilical cord is still attached it could still be considered a fetus.
Looking at the OED. Born is "existing as a result of birth". Birth is defined as "the start of life as a physically separate being". It further defines a fetus as "unborn offspring of a mammal".

So until the umbilical cord is cut, there is a rational interpretation based on the definitions of these words in the English language.

I take no issue with Gosnell being found guilty. However, one can create a reasoned and rational argument that these were fetuses.

Old 05-13-2013, 10:17 PM   #127
Act of God

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdsesq View Post
Looking at the OED. Born is "existing as a result of birth". Birth is defined as "the start of life as a physically separate being". It further defines a fetus as "unborn offspring of a mammal".

So until the umbilical cord is cut, there is a rational interpretation based on the definitions of these words in the English language.

I take no issue with Gosnell being found guilty. However, one can create a reasoned and rational argument that these were fetuses.
Well I'm sure that makes sense to you, because you're a crazy person.

Old 05-13-2013, 11:06 PM   #128
bimmerfan08

My Ride: Phoenix Yellow M3
AoG

Not even mentioning the efficiencies of larger countries.

As divided as this country is, at least we are one.
bimmerfan08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 12:37 AM   #129
Xcelratr

My Ride: 04 330Ci ZHP
Quote:
Gosnell guilty of murdering three babies and the death of one patient. New York times refers to babies killed AFTER birth as fetuses, lol.

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/05/14/us...rder.html?_r=0

What specific bio/physiologic conditions would you list that would apply to all humans labeled as "babies" that would not apply to any human labeled as a "fetus"?

Yes
----------------------------------------------
Xcelratr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 07:20 AM   #130
Act of God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xcelratr View Post
What specific bio/physiologic conditions would you list that would apply to all humans labeled as "babies" that would not apply to any human labeled as a "fetus"?
I would start with BREATHING oxygen outside the womb for one. This was murder, plain and simple, hence the conviction.

Old 05-14-2013, 08:37 AM   #131
Cabrio330

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdsesq View Post

The extent to which you attempt to establish a legal distinction between a fetus and baby (i.e., human being) is both amazing and frankly depressing. I expect your next trick will be to opine about when a baby first obtains a soul. Just kidding - you don't believe in souls, do you?

Perhaps you are merely engaging in mental gymnastics because you like to sound enlightened but I hope you will eventually realize how absurd you sound in an attempt to assure yourself that abortion is never wrong.
Old 05-14-2013, 08:41 AM   #132
evolved

My Ride: 2011 BMW 135i
Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmerfan08 View Post
AoG
Depending on the day I feel like this sums up the relationship of AoG and rdsesq

The rest of us in PoliTalk are Dennis and depending on the day AoG and rdsesq are interchangeable between Jack Kelly and attorney

Present
2011 BMW 135i - BSM
Past
2006 Mazdaspeed 6 GT, 2000 BMW 323ci, 2003 Evolution VIII, 1995 Nissan 240sx w/ SR20DET

E46Sig

Last edited by evolved; 05-14-2013 at 09:55 AM.
evolved is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 09:19 AM   #133
Xcelratr

My Ride: 04 330Ci ZHP
Quote:
I would start with BREATHING oxygen outside the womb for one. This was murder, plain and simple, hence the conviction.
Thats the only requirement?

One breath motion is enough? Or are you talking about sustained, unassisted breathing through lungs developed enough to deliver a survivable level of oxygen to all body tissues?

Yes
----------------------------------------------
Xcelratr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 12:30 PM   #134
Cabrio330

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xcelratr View Post
Thats the only requirement?

One breath motion is enough? Or are you talking about sustained, unassisted breathing through lungs developed enough to deliver a survivable level of oxygen to all body tissues?
Huh, how about a minimum of 15 respirations within a single 60-second period or 22 respirations within any two non-consecutive 60-second periods if also accompanied by at least one (1) recognizable movement of a single limb, but only if at least two (2) other witnesses are able to testify to observing said movement.

Or, how about you take a single look at a human being laying on a table, with or without the umbilical cord attached, and be willing to tell anyone who asks, "Nope, no babies here. Snip away!"
Old 05-14-2013, 12:35 PM   #135
Act of God

Babies were crying as well. Fetuses don't cry brah!

Old 05-14-2013, 06:24 PM   #136
rdsesq
ouroboros autorotica

Quote:
Well I'm sure that makes sense to you, because you're a crazy person.
Insanity is merely someone else's warped view of one's actions.

I didn't say I agreed with the argument. I just demonstrated that a reasoned argument could be made.
sheeeesh!

Old 05-14-2013, 06:32 PM   #137
rdsesq
ouroboros autorotica

Quote:
The extent to which you attempt to establish a legal distinction between a fetus and baby (i.e., human being) is both amazing and frankly depressing. I expect your next trick will be to opine about when a baby first obtains a soul. Just kidding - you don't believe in souls, do you?

Perhaps you are merely engaging in mental gymnastics because you like to sound enlightened but I hope you will eventually realize how absurd you sound in an attempt to assure yourself that abortion is never wrong.
"Believe" in souls. You have got to be joking.
There is no scientific evidence to point to the existence of souls. Homosapiens are just matter, like everything else.

I have no moral issues with abortion. I don't "believe" what this guy did was "morally" wrong. I don't have morals.

It was criminally wrong, he was found guilty based on the evidence. I am quite OK with that.

But "morals" and "souls"...puhleez.

Old 05-14-2013, 06:39 PM   #138
rdsesq
ouroboros autorotica

Quote:
Babies were crying as well. Fetuses don't cry brah!
Fetuses do cry under certain circumstances. Specifically before the umbilical cord has been removed, which is why they are still fetuses.

There is going to be great mileage out of this in pissing off some of the anti-abortion zealots. I am not implying that AofG is in any way an anti-abortion zealot.