E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > Gun Talk

Gun Talk
Are you a gun fanatic as well? If so, you'll want to talk to other owners about what you own in this forum.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-06-2013, 10:38 PM   #1
sebbyk15

My Ride: 2003 BMW 330ci
newbie needs help with garand purchase

Hey guys,

Ive been lurking around the gun section of the forum for a few months. I am fairy new to the world of guns, only been in it for about a year and within that year I only bought a Springfield 1911 and a Remington 870 shotgun.

Today as I was browsing Armslist for fun I came across a Springfield M1 Garand that was listed for $1,200. I was a bit intrigues as I always wanted one and am a WWII buff so I emailed the guy asking about the gun. He replied back saying that he does not know much about the gun, but that it has all original parts and that he bought it from his uncle 10 years ago and that it is original vintage military condition.

I talked him down to $1000 and requested a serial number so I can possible look into finding out some history about the gun, but he does not want to provide one, I don't know if that is customary or not to as for a serial number.

I am wondering if this deal is to true to be true or what? I added some pictures so people can see how it looks.

Thank you for your input guys and sorry for the long post.

sebbyk15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 11:02 PM   #2
tailo

My Ride: 02 330I
Post war replacement stock... bad repark job with over blasted markings... At $1000 IMHO is about $200 to much and thats assuming its NOT a reweld and the barrel is in good shape. I can 100% gaurentee that it's a mix master. A 100% origional garand is BIG bucks...

If you MUST, get him to do the bullet test. Garands have to be cleaned from the muzzle, thus they often show up with shot out barrels. The more of a bullet showing the better the gun.

I've got probably a dozen or so left, I can put you in a good gun but its going to be just a bit more than $1200 depending on the gun.

should be some photo's in here, see any you like?
http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_6_2/364...on.html&page=1

Last edited by tailo; 04-06-2013 at 11:04 PM.
tailo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 11:33 PM   #3
sebbyk15

Thanks for the insight tailo, I was looking for something local as to avoid FFL fees and I am not in a hurry to buy one, was just wondering if it was a good deal or not. I guess I will pass on the purchase and see what come up in the future.
BTW that is one hell of a collection, some really nice guns in there that I wish to own at some point
Old 04-07-2013, 03:50 PM   #4
tailo

Look in to CMP, thats your best bet and they ship to your door.
Old 04-07-2013, 04:35 PM   #5
david05111

My Ride: drei hundert dreißig
Quote:
Originally Posted by tailo View Post
Look in to CMP, thats your best bet and they ship to your door.
Wait, how can they ship to your door?

"You'll Never Walk Alone"

"Psycho Murican" -- beeemerdude of Canada
david05111 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 06:22 PM   #6
Adam@Euro-Spec
Sponsor

My Ride: is slowww
Send a message via AIM to Adam@Euro-Spec
Quote:
Originally Posted by david05111 View Post
Wait, how can they ship to your door?
If you have c&r license

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Bimmer App
Adam@Euro-Spec is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 06:42 PM   #7
david05111

My Ride: drei hundert dreißig
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam@Euro-Spec View Post
If you have c&r license

Right, that make sense. But not many of us have them, like you Adam

"You'll Never Walk Alone"

"Psycho Murican" -- beeemerdude of Canada
david05111 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 06:50 PM   #8
Adam@Euro-Spec
Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by david05111 View Post
Right, that make sense. But not many of us have them, like you Adam
I don't know why not...best $30 gun investment i made lol

Old 04-07-2013, 07:56 PM   #9
ddaniel1
CWO4 (Ret)

My Ride: 328i, M3, 525iT
In most states they can ship directly to your door, there is a loop hole that lets them do it, I have two on order now that should be shipping any day now, they are inundated with orders and there are some hoops you have to jump through if you are not ex-military. Many of the grades have sold out but there are still some available:
http://www.odcmp.com/Sales/m1garand.htm

look into the requirements here, if you have been in the military you meet them all:
http://www.odcmp.com/Sales/eligibility.htm
ddaniel1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 08:38 PM   #10
Adam@Euro-Spec
Sponsor

I guess i was wrong about c&r needed...apparently cmp isn't an ffl and they can ship to anyones door not sure exactly how it works

Old 04-07-2013, 08:55 PM   #11
tailo

Because there the government, they make the rules.
Old 04-07-2013, 09:51 PM   #12
ddaniel1
CWO4 (Ret)

Currently NY and NJ require shipment to an FFL, the new CT laws are under review by their lawyers and the MD laws will be also as soon as they are official, so far the M1s are staying legal because they don't have removable magazines and hold under 10 rounds, I am hoping to get mine before California outlaws them.
Found this on one of the forums:

"The CMP is exempt from the requirement to ship interstate to an FFL holder; therefore, they can ship directly to you (or responsible adult at your address). I believe the exemption was written into their charter or the law that established the CMP (or more accurately, the Corporation for the Promotion of Rifle Marksmanship and Firearm Safety). The CMP satisfies the federal background check requirement by performing the NICS check before they release the rifle for shipping, just as they do when they sell direct to you at the North or South Stores."
Old 04-08-2013, 11:44 AM   #13
brew

My Ride: Sequoia X5 MR2 G20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam@Euro-Spec View Post
I guess i was wrong about c&r needed...apparently cmp isn't an ffl and they can ship to anyones door not sure exactly how it works

The whole point was that it's in the country's best interest to have responsible citizens who are proficient in marksmanship if war ever breaks out and they need to start drafting people. So if you're disciplined enough to participate in gun club activities, you can get garands and other random surplus guns (like .22 target rifles and target air guns) shipped to you directly.

There are a few ways to get around the gun club activity thing - like you can just be a member of certain garand owner clubs instead of actively shooting in matches.
brew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 04:00 PM   #14
sebbyk15

Thanks guys,
I actually found someone else who is local and selling one that the got from CMP. The only reason I am trying to stay local is I was not aware that CMP can ship to Illinois since it is not the most gun friendly state...... and any Springfield I see at a dealer is close to $2000
Old 04-08-2013, 04:10 PM   #15
tailo

Find out what grade it is. ATLEAST get a service grade. Theres a possibility that somebody may be trying to sell you a field or rack grade gun. Do the bullet test and request to see the cmp paperwork.
Old 04-08-2013, 04:44 PM   #16
sebbyk15

Already ahead of you tailo, I asked him to show me the CMP paperwork and do the bullet test, He is saying that it is the CMP special grade in a 30-06 caliber
Old 04-08-2013, 05:09 PM   #17
ddaniel1
CWO4 (Ret)

I paid $950 for my Springfiled Service grade special as a reference point.

CMP also has deals on ammo but it takes 60-90 days to get, their Greek 30-06 is 98.00 for 200 rounds:
https://estore.thecmp.org/store/cata...ogList&cat=AMC
You will need to provide proof of citizenship to order.
Old 04-08-2013, 07:56 PM   #18
tailo

Truthfully, I'd rather have a service grade.

Special grades are referbs. Service grades are in the same condition as it was when the last soldier turned it in. From a history stand point id much rather have the older weapon.
Old 04-08-2013, 08:55 PM   #19
sebbyk15

I am planning on using the gun for just shooting on the range, Which one do you think would last longer or be better to get? waiting is not a problem for me as long as a get a good reliable gun out of it. Does anyone know if CMP will be able to ship the gun to my door? or would it be better to contact them directly
Old 04-08-2013, 09:27 PM   #20
ddaniel1
CWO4 (Ret)

I weighed the historical issue but the main thing I want are shooters that look good, these guns will see a lot of use and I didn't want to start with one that was already shot out, not really concerned with the collector value.
I also ordered a 308 special to keep the M1A company, it will be a completely rebuilt rifle with a brand new barrel, the service grade specials are collector grade metal with a new stock, these are now sold out but you can still get the H&Rs, I will find out on the next few weeks if I made the cut for the springfield. I almost ordered both rebuilds, this article helped me make up my mind:
http://www.gunsamerica.com/blog/gara...e-guns-arrive/
When and if the rumored international harvester rifles come out I may go for a historical one.