E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > E46 Convertible

E46 Convertible
The E46 vert forum. Talk about dropping your E46 top here.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-07-2013, 01:35 AM   #1
Paul88

My Ride: 09' WRX premium pkg
Need advice before buying E46 convertible, thx

Hi there,

My name is Paul. I'm new to BMW. I have my eye on E46 convertible, it's a 2004 with 88,000 miles on it. It dose have sport and cold package. I've never had soft top before but some of my friends said wind noise can be annoying.

I'd like to ask you all expertise for some advices before I pull the trigger. Any known mechanical problems for the engine, soft top etc? All advices are certainly appreciated.

Best,

Paul
Paul88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 04-07-2013, 02:23 AM   #2
dirty vert

My Ride: 2001 330ci
As with any E46 BMW, the cooling system is the most important on these vehicles. BMW liked to use a lot of plastic. Have a PPI done before you buy, get service records if you can- these cars can be a money pit it you buy one that hasn't had the needed maintenance done.
dirty vert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 03:24 AM   #3
sakumaxp

My Ride: 02 M3 convertible
i have a 2002 M3 Vert, and it has 110xxx miles on it, and so far no mechanical problems for the soft top. as for as the motor my vanos was on its way out around 90xxx. as long as you have the PPI done, and call BMW and tell them the VIN # and see if any recalls or inspections were performed. wind noise isnt too bad, nothing unbearable. the most annoying thing i would say about the verts would be the creeking noises you hear when youre going over speed bumps or dips, other than that i love it.

Carbon Black Metallic
SMG II
Verttttt
VCSL Front Bumper
VCSL 1 Piece Splitter
VIS GTR Hood
6K Angel Eyes
VMR VB3 19's
KW V2 coilovers
sakumaxp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 07:15 AM   #4
o///mroalansari

My Ride: 330ci e46
2006 330ci. No wind noise... Minimal mechanical problems and no rood issues

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Bimmer App
o///mroalansari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 08:57 AM   #5
sgoetz628

My Ride: 2002 330 CiC
I've had my vert since new. Agree with above, though I'm starting to do PM stuff (cooling system, fuel delivery). Wind noise is almost nonexistent until about 70, even then never a bother
Old 04-07-2013, 10:09 AM   #6
dknightd

My Ride: 2002 330 cic
As others have said wind noise is not really a problem - but you should drive the one you are looking at.
Creaking and ticking noises are common. Most disapear with the top lowered (which is how it should be most of the time

Some past threads you might find useful

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthr...429&highlight=
http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthr...748&highlight=
http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthr...748&highlight=

good luck. Nice cars

edit: since buying all I've done is
get second key $180
aligned at dealer $180
new tires michelin pilot super sport
drive and enjoy

I'll do cooling system and fuel pump/filter at some point (and before driving long distance away from home) as preventative maintenance. Maybe this summer - but I hate wasting nice weather, and will be doing work in my driveway. I should also replace the still original battery. I figure do them now and I should have 10 more reliable years. Can't wait to get it back on the road - it sleeps during salt season.

Last edited by dknightd; 04-07-2013 at 10:42 AM.
dknightd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 11:05 AM   #7
dknightd

My Ride: 2002 330 cic
You should post link to car. Assuming ad it is posted on the internet. Sometimes people here can tell a lot just from pictures.
dknightd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 12:53 PM   #8
deliroast

My Ride: '02 M3 vert
Send a message via Skype™ to deliroast
love my vert. no real issues and nothing like dropping the top on a nice day
deliroast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 02:10 PM   #9
Paul88

Thanks so much guys. I certainly appreciate your all inputs. I was reluctant to post the link of the selling cars due to I don't know much about the rules on the forum as well as asking for a fair market price. I did some research using edmunds and kbb for used car price and the seller asking price is well above the private party price. Here are the link

1st car http://winstonsalem.craigslist.org/cto/3649504458.html
2nd car http://winstonsalem.craigslist.org/cto/3711887996.html

The second car hasn't had any pics on it but the seller sent some of them to me already.

Again, guys, thanks a lot for your advice and to moderator, if I break any forum rules, I have to apologize and please feel free to delete my thread.

Best,

Paul
Old 04-07-2013, 06:51 PM   #10
sgoetz628

That first one - 325 convert w automatic is gonna be a real dog. Probably the slowest car they make. And the guy is definitely asking way too much
Old 04-08-2013, 01:17 AM   #11
Paul88

Thanks sgoetz628.
Old 04-08-2013, 10:49 AM   #12
McGary911

My Ride: 2004 M3 Convertible
I have a 2004 M3 'vert. Of course it's a touch noisier than a hardtop, but I don't feel it's bad at all. It does tend to be a bit noisier if you have the top up and the windows down. There are some parts of the rear liner that get a touch flappy if you're driving fast. I lot of this is personal preference. My noisy and your noisy may be completely different sound levels. I've never had a passenger complain. I probably drop the top around 70% of the time I'm in the car. That's how much I like it (and the FL weather that allows me to do it).

If you feel the noise is too much after getting one, you can always keep your eye out for a hardtop on eBay\Craigslist, etc.
McGary911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 12:07 PM   #13
taylor192

My Ride: 2003.5 M3
With the top down, windows up and wind screen installed I can still talk clearly on my bluetooth headset - which is far more than I expected.
taylor192 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 12:52 PM   #14
taylor192

My Ride: 2003.5 M3
The unfortunate problem I'm learning about with the e46 vert is that all the hydraulic cylinders will eventually leak. 4 of them are easy to replace, 2 of them require much more work. They are not hard to DIY, yet I was disappointed that I ran into problems with my top so soon after purchase (mine is a 2003.5). The good news is that once the cylinders are rebuilt by Top Hydraulics the hydraulic system should be good for the lifetime of the car.
taylor192 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 10:09 AM   #15
universitydaddy

My Ride: 2004 325cic - 36k Mi
Looks Nice , but

PPI it - Surely there will repairs that are identified and use that as a basis for getting the price down.

An outstanding body from the looks of it -especially if it is totally free of dings and still sporting excellent paint condition (especially if original)

Make sure the person that owns it treated it like his first born - Premium fuel, regular oil changes, all maint records, low average miles per year driven (especially if not the original owner).

The 323 has enough power unless your more than a casual driver- that's my experience.
universitydaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 02:42 PM   #16
johnrando

My Ride: '06 330 CIC ZHP
What they said. Buy a windscreen and it's even quieter. Verts FTW!

ZHP, Cold Weather Pkg., Leather, Jet Black/Black/Black Cube, NAV
AA Tune, Sprint Booster, BMW Perf. Intake, Magnaflow Exhaust, Dinan STEP S/W & TB, TMS Pulleys, H&R Touring Cup Kit
DICE Ipod, Parrot/Connects2 Bluetooth, StealthOne Valentine Module, Hardwired V1
BMW Perf. Strut Brace, Orion V2 Angel Eyes, No-holes License Plate, SMG Paddle Shift Mod, Besian VANOS, Gold DISA, Fan delete
johnrando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 02:45 PM   #17
smares21

My Ride: M3
You should buy my M3 vert.
Old 04-12-2013, 03:52 PM   #18
Poncho@home

My Ride: MY04 330Cic ZSP
Quote:
You should buy my M3 vert.
I sometimes regret I didn't do that. I had the budget for it, but got scared away from the higher maintenance costs in the long run. Considering its a fair weather car only, I'd agree with buying an M3. I might sell mine to do just that.
Poncho@home is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 04:18 PM   #19
sgoetz628

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poncho@home View Post
I sometimes regret I didn't do that. I had the budget for it, but got scared away from the higher maintenance costs in the long run. Considering its a fair weather car only, I'd agree with buying an M3. I might sell mine to do just that.
I traded for an M3 a year after I bought my 330. Didn't like it, so bought my 330 back from the dealer. My son was totally bummed, but I get my speed kicks from my motorcycle.
Old 04-14-2013, 09:43 PM   #20
Vivaxious

My Ride: 2003 M3 6MT 'Vert
///M3 Vert owner here and I can say that the coupes are great for track and racing, but there's nothing like being topless and cruising - verts are absolutely amazing. Liberating and Freedom

find the right car and make sure the roof goes down and your spirits will soar
Vivaxious is offline   Reply With Quote