E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > General Off-Topic

General Off-Topic
Everything not about BMWs. Posts must be "primetime" safe and in good taste. You must be logged in to see sub-forums.
Click here to browse all new posts.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-07-2013, 01:21 PM   #21
Grande D

My Ride: E90 M-Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by tock172 View Post
On the exhaust? The average 335 driver doesn't even know the car is forced induction. Anyway, I actually removed that mod from my car. My vacuum tube was too dry to pull off the solenoid or whatever it is back there so I had to use this pinching device recommended by a VW R32 driver Didn't really work well and caused the exhaust valve to rattle so I removed it.
I was just trolling.
Grande D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 01:24 PM   #22
Russian172

My Ride: Flying brick,e39 b28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stiggles View Post
Tat Feel bro
Old 04-07-2013, 03:22 PM   #23
AfghanScarface

My Ride: Debadged M3
Send a message via AIM to AfghanScarface
If I can be honest the 135i I tested at the dealer was arguably the fastest car ive ever driven.

The one you drove was broken or something.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmer4Lyfe View Post
Either pursue her and risk getting Mono, or don't pursue her,...stay home and use your Mano.

It's either Mono or Mano .... You decide
AfghanScarface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 03:36 PM   #24
Grande D

Quote:
Originally Posted by AfghanScarface View Post
If I can be honest the 135i I tested at the dealer was arguably the fastest car ive ever driven.

Wat.
Old 04-07-2013, 03:42 PM   #25
Russian172

My Ride: Flying brick,e39 b28
Quote:

I'd rather an e36 M
Old 04-07-2013, 03:46 PM   #26
Double Vanos
Loves cookies

My Ride: 2013 VW GTi
Send a message via AIM to Double Vanos
The 335i is one nice ride but the 135i is where it's at, it's an E46 size package with the 335s engine. The best of both worlds!!

2011 135i 6 speed (Gone and missed)
Double Vanos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 03:46 PM   #27
Fergo

My Ride: still a gay 135i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Russian172 View Post
I'd rather an e36 M
there are many other cars better than the 135i, but an e36m just isn't one of them.

2 easy 2 make hp turbos
Fergo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 03:53 PM   #28
AfghanScarface

The E36M is the last one that is truly "raw" and "vicseral"(sp). I think a lot of people that love them do so because it gives them the rawness that is absent in later models, even though it is miles slower.

I def wouldnt trade my M for a 135 but I can freely admit that the 1er felt like a fvcking lightspeed spaceship in comparison.

Quote:
Either pursue her and risk getting Mono, or don't pursue her,...stay home and use your Mano.

Old 04-07-2013, 03:54 PM   #29
Fergo

Never driven an e36m I do absolutely love them though

2 easy 2 make hp turbos
Old 04-07-2013, 04:00 PM   #30
dfjaws

My Ride: '08 E90 M3 / '02 Z3
I <3 my 335. Also, I've never felt that it was 'slow', even when I first got it and it was bone stock.

And 1.5 years later, it still doesn't feel slow
Old 04-07-2013, 04:00 PM   #31
Double Vanos
Loves cookies

My Ride: 2013 VW GTi
Send a message via AIM to Double Vanos
Quote:
The E36M is the last one that is truly "raw" and "vicseral"(sp). I think a lot of people that love them do so because it gives them the rawness that is absent in later models, even though it is miles slower.
This ^^

The E36 M3 might not out perform it but it just delivers a more connected experienced between driver and machine. My brother had one a few years ago it was an awesome car. I really enjoyed driving it, pretty quick with great steering, great brake feel and an LSD. Not that the 1er doesn't have great steering and braking feel(which it does) but it also adds a bit of refinement as well to make it a great DD oppose to the E36 M3.

2011 135i 6 speed (Gone and missed)

Last edited by Double Vanos; 04-07-2013 at 04:01 PM.
Double Vanos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 04:02 PM   #32
AfghanScarface

Its.. Different.

A E46 M3 sort of smoothly whooshes you away with the power and then delivers the grunt at higher RPM's

The E36 M3 has this snarl that is evident from like 2K up. Virtually no rasp like the E46, the sound is very gutteral. The best way I can describe the exhaust note is a muscle car baby that was left crying and screaming in a cold field who was found and nurtured by the Germans into this refined, musical machine. Thats the biggest difference in my opinion; the muscular sound at low RPM's which is sadly absent in every model thereafter.

Quote:

Old 04-07-2013, 04:03 PM   #33
Fergo

S50 it's a fucking fantastic engine

2 easy 2 make hp turbos
Old 04-07-2013, 05:04 PM   #34
CJPatel

My Ride: E92 335, F430 Spider
Quote:
Originally Posted by cowmoo32 View Post
335 w/ JB4 All that torque... From 0-60 it's a hell of a lot more fun than an E92 M3

So fast, but really need the right conditions for the tires to grip. I'm running 255 Michelin Pilot Super Sports too.

DD -
2011 550i X - MSport
Weekend -
Ferrari F430 Spider - F1

Gone:
2008 Aston Martin V8 Vantage, Stratus White/Bitter Chocolate, coupe w/ Aston Martin Powerpack and Quicksilver exhaust
2003.5 Mystic Blue M3 6spd :(
2009 E92 335i, MSport, 6spd
CJPatel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 05:10 PM   #35
mistrzmiasta

My Ride: GLK350,ML63, Duc1098
loved my wife's 335 with sport package. stiff as fvck and loved the steering feel , it almost felt like it had no power steering.
mistrzmiasta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 05:13 PM   #36
bimmerfan08

My Ride: Phoenix Yellow M3
Quote:
Its.. Different.

A E46 M3 sort of smoothly whooshes you away with the power and then delivers the grunt at higher RPM's

The E36 M3 has this snarl that is evident from like 2K up. Virtually no rasp like the E46, the sound is very gutteral. The best way I can describe the exhaust note is a muscle car baby that was left crying and screaming in a cold field who was found and nurtured by the Germans into this refined, musical machine. Thats the biggest difference in my opinion; the muscular sound at low RPM's which is sadly absent in every model thereafter.
nicely put

Although the Euro E36 motor is no crying baby. American E36 M3 owners got gypped.

There's E46 owners on M3F who argue the exact opposite and they own both cars. Basically that the E46 M3 is more harsh and raw feeling. It's all subjective though.
Sick Days - Unlimited
Working Days in 2013 - 159
Accountability for poor performance - None
Healthcare - Top notch

Want to complain about entitlements.....start with Congress.
bimmerfan08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 05:29 PM   #37
Grande D

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double Vanos View Post
The 335i is one nice ride but the 135i is where it's at, it's an E46 size package with the 335s engine. The best of both worlds!!
Actually the 1 series is a lot shorter than the E46- closer to E30 sized IIRC. But it is slightly over E46 weight.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fergo_the_mule View Post
there are many other cars better than the 135i, but an e36m just isn't one of them.
It depends on what you're looking for. For 4/5 enthusiasts you're right, but not for everyone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmerfan08 View Post
There's E46 owners on M3F who argue the exact opposite and they own both cars. Basically that the E46 M3 is more harsh and raw feeling. It's all subjective though.
I think the motor and driveline in the E46 M3 is much rawer, but the suspension in the E36 M3 has a more connected feeling.

In my opinion, as far as handling prowess is concerned, from worst-best it goes: E30->E90->E46->E36.

That's not a fun scale to be sure, otherwise the E30 would be far higher on the list.

Last edited by Grande D; 04-07-2013 at 05:29 PM.
Old 04-07-2013, 05:35 PM   #38
Redline

My Ride: ///M3 Vert
Quote:
Its.. Different.

It sounds just like a zhp...it's deep and doesn't rasp because its not a racecar engine that the s52 is. Or the euro version.

Compression has a lot to do with exhaust sound. The 11:5.1 s54 with ITB's will scream/rasp more than essentially a bored/stroked m52 with a bigger intake and single vanos.

That said the e36 is no slouch. Fun to drive.

///M
Redline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 05:41 PM   #39
Grande D

Nuh uh, I've had both and the ZHP and E36 M3 do not sound the same.

The M3 has more engine/intake grunt/growl, while the ZHP actually has a deeper sounding exhaust; the deep sound does not come from the motor.

I know the exhaust sound is the motor but you guys know what I mean.
Old 04-07-2013, 05:42 PM   #40
Andy2108

My Ride: E46 M3, '67 Cobra
Quote:
Originally Posted by mistrzmiasta View Post
loved my wife's 335 with sport package. stiff as fvck and loved the steering feel , it almost felt like it had no power steering.
WHAT!?

Oh. You drive Mercedeses. That explains it.

Well, I'll let you in on a secret. BMW told us not to tell you this but it seems like I might as well. a 335 may be kinda stiff for you and have good steering feel, but think about what a properly set up M car would drive like.

De gustibus non est disputandum.
Andy2108 is offline   Reply With Quote