E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > General Off-Topic

General Off-Topic
Everything not about BMWs. Posts must be "primetime" safe and in good taste. You must be logged in to see sub-forums.
Click here to browse all new posts.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-07-2013, 05:43 PM   #41
AfghanScarface

My Ride: Debadged M3
Send a message via AIM to AfghanScarface
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redline View Post
It sounds just like a zhp...it's deep and doesn't rasp because its not a racecar engine that the s52 is. Or the euro version.

Compression has a lot to do with exhaust sound. The 11:5.1 s54 with ITB's will scream/rasp more than essentially a bored/stroked m52 with a bigger intake and single vanos.

That said the e36 is no slouch. Fun to drive.
They (E36M and ZHP) don't sound remotely similar. The note from the ZHP is completely unique from every other model. It definitely doesn't sound like the E36 M. The sound delivery is, I don't know how to put it, smoother and more measured.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmer4Lyfe View Post
Either pursue her and risk getting Mono, or don't pursue her,...stay home and use your Mano.

It's either Mono or Mano .... You decide
AfghanScarface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 05:44 PM   #42
Andy2108

My Ride: E46 M3, '67 Cobra
Quote:
Originally Posted by AfghanScarface View Post
They (E36M and ZHP) don't sound remotely similar. The note from the ZHP is completely unique from every other model. It definitely doesn't sound like the E36 M. The sound delivery is, I don't know how to put it, smoother and more measured.
Below about 4000 rpm they sound pretty similar. especially the intake noise.

De gustibus non est disputandum.
Andy2108 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 05:48 PM   #43
AfghanScarface

Ive driven both, and im afraid I cant report the same experience

I remember liking the difference in the sound of the ZHP but it just wasn't growly enough around the 2K mark. It felt much more subtle.

Quote:
Either pursue her and risk getting Mono, or don't pursue her,...stay home and use your Mano.

Old 04-07-2013, 05:52 PM   #44
Andy2108

My friend's E36 that I've driven has a completely stock exhaust but my 330 had headers... and they both had nice intakes. Its been a while since I've had my 330 and I only got to drive my friends M3 for a little while. He just got it a few weeks ago.

Old 04-07-2013, 05:58 PM   #45
Redline

My Ride: ///M3 Vert
Lol we own an e36 m3/4/5 arctic silver/dove 1/127 made

My brother drives it, it's a fun car but is it wrong if I say the only thing that keeps me from getting one is the lack of lack of flared fenders and no telescoping/tilting steering wheel? too easy to make a fake e36 m3 and it sort of unfortunately makes it less exclusive because of that lack of wider fenders...that's what makes it so hard to replicate the other m3's is the fenders...

///M

Last edited by Redline; 04-07-2013 at 06:00 PM.
Redline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 06:01 PM   #46
Andy2108

I would totally daily a M3/4/5 if I had room and time for it.

Old 04-07-2013, 06:12 PM   #47
AfghanScarface

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redline View Post
Lol we own an e36 m3/4/5 arctic silver/dove 1/127 made

My brother drives it, it's a fun car but is it wrong if I say the only thing that keeps me from getting one is the lack of lack of flared fenders and no telescoping/tilting steering wheel? too easy to make a fake e36 m3 and it sort of unfortunately makes it less exclusive because of that lack of wider fenders...that's what makes it so hard to replicate the other m3's is the fenders...
So you refuse to drive a car (which you admit to genuinely liking) because other people (whom you have no control over) can possibly make a "fake" version of it?

You do know that they come from the factory with the motorsport WBS vin#, confirming that it was built by BMW M GmBh right? That would probably clear any doubts about that.

Theres also the fact that a proper "replica" would cost nearly as much to build, if not more, than an actual E36 M. 90% of the people who attempt this route either do it wrong or don't go all the way, which to someone like me is extremely obvious within ~3 seconds of looking at their car.

Quote:

Old 04-07-2013, 06:27 PM   #48
bimmerfan08

My Ride: Phoenix Yellow M3
Quote:
So you refuse to drive a car (which you admit to genuinely liking) because other people (whom you have no control over) can possibly make a "fake" version of it?

You do know that they come from the factory with the motorsport WBS vin#, confirming that it was built by BMW M GmBh right? That would probably clear any doubts about that.

Theres also the fact that a proper "replica" would cost nearly as much to build, if not more, than an actual E36 M. 90% of the people who attempt this route either do it wrong or don't go all the way, which to someone like me is extremely obvious within ~3 seconds of looking at their car.
Not really sure what the point of the post is either but I'll take a stab. To the average person an E36 3 series can made to look like an E36 M3 quite easily and be difficult to tell the differences. I've been fooled a few times at first glance by E36 3 series cars posing as E36 M3s. Takes a second look to find the differences. Whereas with the E46 M3...very hard to mistake from an E46 3 series. Maybe that's what he was implying.

At any rate I drove a '95 M3 and it was a blast. The motor was not as fun as my S54 but the chassis and suspension made up for it.
"Economics cannot answer such normative or prescriptive questions about how much of our market incomes, if any, should be transferred to poor families. This is a political question that can only be answered at the ballot box, or in some countries, at the point of a gun."
bimmerfan08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 06:35 PM   #49
Fergo

My Ride: still a gay 135i
I'd love to pick up an e36 m for a project

2 easy 2 make hp turbos
Fergo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 06:46 PM   #50
04yfz

My Ride: A car
I never drove a tuned 335i but stock I found it uninspiring. It was quick and torquey, but it was boring. I really wanted to like it but my E46 with headers is just so much more fun to drive.
Old 04-07-2013, 06:50 PM   #51
Grande D

My Ride: Whiiiite BMW!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fergo_the_mule View Post
I'd love to pick up an e36 m for a project
tbh I would just buy an E30 and swap an S52 in it.

i spend it while i can, if i run out i'll swallow all my meds
Grande D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 07:02 PM   #52
Marshmallow
Yacht Club Libertarian

My Ride: E46, E30, Quattro
335i has no soul, just too easy to make hp turbos blah blah blah.

The Slum Lord Millionaire
"Stay Puft My Friends."

2003 BMW 325xiT "Audrey"
1987 BMW 325i "Lydia"
1990 Audi 90 Quattro Sport 20v "Chloe"

Marshmallow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 07:05 PM   #53
Fergo

My Ride: still a gay 135i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grande D View Post
tbh I would just buy an E30 and swap an S52 in it.
Already done it

2 easy 2 make hp turbos
Fergo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 09:01 PM   #54
nike001

My Ride: Fergo
Quote:
Originally Posted by 04yfz View Post
I never drove a tuned 335i but stock I found it uninspiring. It was quick and torquey, but it was boring. I really wanted to like it but my E46 with headers is just so much more fun to drive.
Hit the nail on the head.

I've driven dozens and dozens of 335's.. as well as 328's. Both are boring and uninspiring. The only 335 I've ever really liked are the M-pack ones with the beefier suspension and looks and all that. Otherwise, I feel great when getting back into my e46

F30's though... whole different ballgame. The new 328's are definitely a lot of fun to toss around

330i ZHP 6MT | H&R Sport Cup | BMW Performance | OEM Clears | Coby Wheel

Last edited by nike001; 04-07-2013 at 09:01 PM.
nike001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 09:29 PM   #55
Redline

My Ride: ///M3 Vert
Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmerfan08 View Post
Not really sure what the point of the post is either but I'll take a stab. To the average person an E36 3 series can made to look like an E36 M3 quite easily and be difficult to tell the differences. I've been fooled a few times at first glance by E36 3 series cars posing as E36 M3s. Takes a second look to find the differences. Whereas with the E46 M3...very hard to mistake from an E46 3 series. Maybe that's what he was implying.

At any rate I drove a '95 M3 and it was a blast. The motor was not as fun as my S54 but the chassis and suspension made up for it.
Yeah, to the average person it can look like an m3 easily. Wheras all the other generations are widebody and stand out. Making it hard to replicate. An m3 bumper on an e46 or e9x looks off even to the average person without the wide fenders.

Back on topic, the 335i is a good car once you get past its boring interior and non driver oriented layout, it's fun to drive. Very comfortable. Only complaint is once you wind out the n54 tune or not. Power falls off badly at higher rpm's. it's why I'll only get an ///M if I go e9x.

The f30 is a step back in the right direction, modern driver oriented interior, great seats, good steering wheel, responsive and nimble. Fvck ton of power for the base model (there really is no need to waste more on the 335i, the 328i is fast enough IMO.

I'm holding out on the 4 series to use my employee pricing and pick one up.

///M

Last edited by Redline; 04-07-2013 at 09:31 PM.
Redline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 12:55 AM   #56
jose325i

My Ride: 08 BMW 135i
135i is where it's at! Feels a bit mushy stock compared to e46, but I heard stiffer upgraded bushings will make a world of difference.
Old 04-08-2013, 01:57 AM   #57
Imanewbie

My Ride: 328i zsp
E36's are the worst 3's made in my opinion, not to mention the look is the worst also. They look and drive like an overpriced Jetta.
Imanewbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 02:04 AM   #58
Imanewbie

My Ride: 328i zsp
Give me an e34 with the big six, that's "raw". I totally never once felt the "raw" part about any e36. Talking M then s38 for me, Or skip to an e46.
Imanewbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 12:38 PM   #59
Bapehead

My Ride: 2005 325Ci
Send a message via AIM to Bapehead
Quote:
Originally Posted by cowmoo32 View Post
335 w/ JB4 All that torque... From 0-60 it's a hell of a lot more fun than an E92 M3
i can vouch for this statement
my friend's 335i has an intake, exhaust, and JB4.
(stock) M3's can't even touch him. its ridiculousssss.

Last edited by Bapehead; 04-08-2013 at 12:38 PM.
Bapehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 04:31 PM   #60
Reedo302

My Ride: F30 328i M Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by Russian172 View Post
This was winter package and premium
I'm coming from a 325 e46 lol no where near the M mark he'll a zhp would be nice
A 335i with normal suspension will have straight line speed to some extent, but the suspension is terrible for what you're likely used to. If the car had sport suspension, the straight line speed would have been better due to less squat and better traction under acceleration. The car also would have been more planted while driving in curves and in normal driving.

The biggest thing that people are not used to is the 335i being "smoother" than what people are used to as opposed to the abrupt punch of the E46 (more applicable to the M3 than 330 or 325). This is because the engine is turbocharged, so the power does not "punch in" right away as soon as you stomp on the throttle. There is very little turbo lag in the N54 and N55 motors, but it does exist if you are comparing it to an NA motor like the M52 or M54.

Quote:
The E36M is the last one that is truly "raw" and "vicseral"(sp). I think a lot of people that love them do so because it gives them the rawness that is absent in later models, even though it is miles slower.

I def wouldnt trade my M for a 135 but I can freely admit that the 1er felt like a fvcking lightspeed spaceship in comparison.
I would argue that the E36/7 M Coupe was more "visceral", especially with the S54 motor. The E39 M5, E52 Z8 and E46 M3 are all extremely well connected to the road and give that raw power. Having been on the track in the E36, E36/7 and E46, and having some limited on-the-road experience with the E39 and E52, the S54 and S62 are both amazing motors that have a lot more "punch" than the S52 or S50. The outright violence is so much greater. I have nothing against the S50/52, and they were really great for modding, but when I went from an E46 M3 S54 to an E36/7 M Coupe S52, I really felt I missed something and I really regretted not forking over the money for the later S54 models.
The E36 that I drove was a good car, but the wider track and stiffer chassis on the E46 was far more adept at stomping around the track and remaining stable. The E36 benefited from lower weight, but the E46 was the better platform IMO. This is evident from how BMW did so well in DTM and other racing series with the E46 chassis.
JMHO. YMMV

Gunfighter Training Development and Evaluation
AR15/AR10 Armorer/Advanced Armorer
Glock Armorer

Gunfighter Training YouTube Channel

Last edited by Reedo302; 04-08-2013 at 04:31 PM.
Reedo302 is offline   Reply With Quote