E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Forced Induction Forum Sponsored by Active Autowerke

Forced Induction Forum Sponsored by Active Autowerke
Discuss supercharging, turbocharging and even nitrous and water injection here.
Sponsored by Active Autowerke

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-07-2013, 01:55 PM   #1
paraklas
OEM ///Member

My Ride: ESS TS2 320ci
E39 M5 Oil Separator Install to ESS TS2 M54

After going through some oil vapor disposals from my oil catch can, I decided to follow a modification inspired by MrPaddleShift's site/posts. The objective of this mod, is to utilize a Purolator PCV (one way valve) and the E39 M5 oil separator, to drain oil back to the dipstick. The oil vapor return is blocked during ESS TS installs.

OEM E39 M5 Oil Separator, Part number: 11151406788

Purolator PCV Valve

OEM Dipstick showing the return tube that will be connected.

Does anyone see any issues proceeding with this mod?

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 04-07-2013, 10:35 PM   #2
lab rat

My Ride: '02 330iT
I would be interested in the difference between catching oil or just letting it burn. Why is catching/returning better?
Old 04-08-2013, 12:54 AM   #3
paraklas
OEM ///Member

The original setup, just routes all oil vapors to the intake. This creates some issues in my opinion; the laminova cores getting dirty and less efficient by the time, oil burnt so need to top-up, and whatever side effects has the burnt oil in the combustion chamber, catalysts and valve seats.

The first solution (that I currently use) is the traditional in-line catch tank which does a good job catching most of the oil vapors but this does not solve the oil consumption problem and also adds the task of having to check/empty the tank every once and while.

The proposed solution, is to put the oil separator before the oil catch tank to eliminate all problems mentioned above. I will not delete the catch can until I see that the oil separator works. In theory, the catch tank should be empty after the install.
Old 04-08-2013, 04:10 AM   #4
braymond141

My Ride: 96 M3, 98 M3, 01 M5
Are you installing the one way valve on the return line back to the oil pan? The pan needs to vent off crankcase pressure, which means oil has to drain back to it and gases need to come out. Not seeing where the check valve comes into place.
braymond141 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 05:03 AM   #5
paraklas
OEM ///Member

Yes, the valve is going to the return line back to the oil pan, to prevent oil being sucked back. Currently the return line is blocked, so I don't think there's an issue with the oil in the pan needing to vent off?
Old 04-10-2013, 04:21 AM   #6
braymond141

Quote:
Originally Posted by paraklas View Post
Yes, the valve is going to the return line back to the oil pan, to prevent oil being sucked back. Currently the return line is blocked, so I don't think there's an issue with the oil in the pan needing to vent off?
The crankcase builds pressure, you cannot just block it off. Oil isn't going to go back up the line.
Old 04-10-2013, 05:33 AM   #7
paraklas
OEM ///Member

It has been blocked for the past 6 years, with the ESS s/c installed..

Here's what's in my mind (the valve may not be mandatory in the end):

OEM M5 Configuration:
Old 04-10-2013, 06:18 AM   #8
mkodama

Paraklas, what is there to prevent your supercharger from pressurizing your crankcase? Is that what the "ESS intake valve" is there to do?

Personally, I would skip the Purolator valve addition. Using it simply as a check valve for the oil drain return probably won't work very well, since there won't be a sufficient pressure differential to open it, and the spring will just hold it closed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by braymond141 View Post
Are you installing the one way valve on the return line back to the oil pan? The pan needs to vent off crankcase pressure, which means oil has to drain back to it and gases need to come out. Not seeing where the check valve comes into place.
Quote:
The crankcase builds pressure, you cannot just block it off. Oil isn't going to go back up the line.
The head and the crankcase are connected by oil drain passageways, so no need to vent pressure from both, and paraklas's setup still vents crankcase gas from the head.

mkodama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 06:30 AM   #9
paraklas
OEM ///Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkodama View Post
Paraklas, what is there to prevent your supercharger from pressurizing your crankcase? Is that what the "ESS intake valve" is there to do?
This:

Quote:
Personally, I would skip the Purolator valve addition. Using it simply as a check valve for the oil drain return probably won't work very well, since there won't be a sufficient pressure differential to open it, and the spring will just hold it closed.

The head and the crankcase are connected by oil drain passageways, so no need to vent pressure from both, and paraklas's setup still vents crankcase gas from the head.
The valve is gravity operated, no spring inside. If not necessary, I will delete it, no chance of "sucking" up oil through the dipstick tube?

Last edited by paraklas; 04-10-2013 at 06:31 AM.
paraklas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 07:32 PM   #10
braymond141

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkodama View Post
I run into crankcase pressurization under boost unless the dipstick drain is vented (either by Oil Separator or to atmosphere). I'm not saying it won't work, but it's better to just let it drain, and also vent, without a check valve... it's not necessary.

I run the E39 M5 separator too. Bottom drain on it is just directly connected to the dipstick tube drain, no check valves or issues.

Last edited by braymond141; 04-10-2013 at 07:35 PM.
Old 04-10-2013, 07:34 PM   #11
braymond141

Quote:
Originally Posted by paraklas View Post

The valve is gravity operated, no spring inside. If not necessary, I will delete it, no chance of "sucking" up oil through the dipstick tube?
If the crankcase gets pressurized you will start pushing oil out. This is exactly why I no longer cap mine and let it vent through the oil separator.

Last edited by braymond141; 04-15-2013 at 01:37 PM.
Old 04-14-2013, 03:45 AM   #12
paraklas
OEM ///Member

Great! Thanks! Now I just need to find some space to put the oil separator, there's literally no room left
Old 06-17-2013, 04:49 PM   #13
ATLZHP6M

My Ride: TS2+ ZHP, ESS E39 M5
Quote:
I run into crankcase pressurization under boost unless the dipstick drain is vented (either by Oil Separator or to atmosphere). I'm not saying it won't work, but it's better to just let it drain, and also vent, without a check valve... it's not necessary.

I run the E39 M5 separator too. Bottom drain on it is just directly connected to the dipstick tube drain, no check valves or issues.
When was the last time you removed your intake tubes from the supercharger going to your intake manifold? You are in for nasty surprise when you do...lots of oil!
How do I know? I have an E39 M5 running an ESS Supercharger and virtually the same setup you have but with dual oil separators and they do not keep the intake manifold and all connected piping from getting covered in oil.

What I and other in the M5 community are now doing is to delete the oil separators altogether and route all CCV gases/oil/gunk to a catch can and then to the exhaust using a vacuum pump and a Vibrant e-vac kit.

I'm going to be duplicating that setup on the ZHP soon and will post pictures for you guys... in the meantime, read this:

http://www.m5board.com/vbulletin/e39...?highlight=ccv

ESS TS2+ Street/Track Toy
ATLZHP6M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 04:21 AM   #14
braymond141

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLZHP6M View Post
When was the last time you removed your intake tubes from the supercharger going to your intake manifold? You are in for nasty surprise when you do...lots of oil!
How do I know? I have an E39 M5 running an ESS Supercharger and virtually the same setup you have but with dual oil separators and they do not keep the intake manifold and all connected piping from getting covered in oil.

What I and other in the M5 community are now doing is to delete the oil separators altogether and route all CCV gases/oil/gunk to a catch can and then to the exhaust using a vacuum pump and a Vibrant e-vac kit.

I'm going to be duplicating that setup on the ZHP soon and will post pictures for you guys... in the meantime, read this:

http://www.m5board.com/vbulletin/e39...?highlight=ccv
When was the last time? Every week sometimes (not kidding).

I never said the separators are 100% effective at keeping oil from the intake. The S62 separator on an I6 does happen to offer some relief compared to other methods. If I were to do it "right", I'd probably spend the money on a ProVent setup. I've been through a few catch can buys and wouldn't go to another unless I built it myself and it was recirculating (by means of intake or exhaust)
Old 06-21-2013, 05:42 AM   #15
paraklas
OEM ///Member

Quote:
When was the last time? Every week sometimes (not kidding).

I never said the separators are 100% effective at keeping oil from the intake. The S62 separator on an I6 does happen to offer some relief compared to other methods. If I were to do it "right", I'd probably spend the money on a ProVent setup. I've been through a few catch can buys and wouldn't go to another unless I built it myself and it was recirculating (by means of intake or exhaust)
Thinking of keeping my catch can, put the separator before that, make a drain hole on the catch can bottom, use a T joint and a single hose back to the dipstick. So in theory, whatever is missed from oil separator will go to catch can.
Old 06-21-2013, 02:45 PM   #16
STORMER

My Ride: AA SC 98 M3
E39 M5 Oil Separator Install to ESS TS2 M54

Completely eliminatin my ccv and capping off the intake and dipstick was best thing I ever did Simply vc->cc->pre charger. BEST thing I ever did. As mentioned it still vents the crankcase and seperates almost all neccesary oil and vapors with a vacuum draw.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app

360+rwhp

AA Stage 2, Arp2000, Underdrive Pulley, M50 Manifold, Cat Delete, Supersprint Exhaust, M5 Clutch w/ Lightweight Flywheel, Euro Fan, FK Coilovers, AEM Boost Gauge, Zhp Knob, Stoptech Brakes, R1 Rotors

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetness View Post
You sir, just thread jacked the sh!t out of OP.
STORMER is offline   Reply With Quote