E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-07-2013, 06:13 PM   #1
clydesdale

My Ride: e30, 2004 zhp
2004 330i stalling when I put it in neutral, could this be from bad thermostat?

I can be going down the road at 3k rpm, push the clutch in and cost to a light and sometimes the rpm will fall right through the floor and bounce a little at 500 or 400 rpm and then stall. If I am slowly driving in a parking lot and then push the clutch it does not happen. It only happens when the rpms fall from a higher level.
Now, the stat is bad and I have the replacement, just haven't gotten to it yet. So, even today on a 55 degree day, when I drive down the road and get clean air, the gauge will drop to 1/4. On VERY cold days it would just get out of the blue zone.
When the car stalls, all I get is the red battery light and the oil pressure light. Just as if you regularly stall the car. There is no CEL. My understanding is that the stat plays with the fueling. Could this be my issue. It just started today and I have driven the car with the bad stat for the last month. I plan to finally put it in next weekend. Any ideas?
clydesdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 04-07-2013, 06:17 PM   #2
ImolaSix

My Ride: '02 330Ci M-sport
When was the last time you cleaned your ICV?
Old 04-07-2013, 06:22 PM   #3
clydesdale

I have never. The car has 76k on it and I bought it at 58k. Please advise.
Old 04-07-2013, 06:38 PM   #4
ImolaSix

My Ride: '02 330Ci M-sport
Change your thermostat and clean your ICV. Report back if the problem is still occuring. Also, do you have any codes?
Old 04-07-2013, 06:48 PM   #5
clydesdale

I have autoenginuity, but did not check for codes because the does not trip when this happens. Thanks.
Old 04-07-2013, 10:12 PM   #6
katu

My Ride: '04 330ci ZHP
Quote:
Originally Posted by ImolaSix View Post
Change your thermostat and clean your ICV. Report back if the problem is still occuring. Also, do you have any codes?
+1

76,000 miles on my car, cleaned my ICV and the stalling issues went away.
Old 04-08-2013, 05:53 AM   #7
clydesdale

What is the recommended procedure and where is it located? I am very familiar with it on my e30 and I believe brake cleaner is what is recommended on those. Thanks.
Old 04-14-2013, 09:57 AM   #8
clydesdale

I replaced the thermostat. The stalling issue is still around, as expected. The rpms just fall to the floor if I dump the car into neutral. The car idles perfect. It is just when coming off of a higher rpm. So, the next step is the icv, I guess. Can someone let me know the correct procedure to clean it? Thanks.
On edit: I found a couple of write ups and vidoes to clean the icv. But, there is confusion as whether I should us MAF cleaner or brake cleaner. What is the proper cleaner? Thanks.

Last edited by clydesdale; 04-14-2013 at 10:46 AM.
Old 04-14-2013, 10:54 AM   #9
WDE46

My Ride: 2004 330Ci OBM
Quote:
Originally Posted by clydesdale View Post
I replaced the thermostat. The stalling issue is still around, as expected. The rpms just fall to the floor if I dump the car into neutral. The car idles perfect. It is just when coming off of a higher rpm. So, the next step is the icv, I guess. Can someone let me know the correct procedure to clean it? Thanks.
On edit: I found a couple of write ups and vidoes to clean the icv. But, there is confusion as whether I should us MAF cleaner or brake cleaner. What is the proper cleaner? Thanks.
It definitely wasn't caused by the thermostat, though it sounds like you needed to replace that anyway. Think about it: the car should be able to idle at any temperature.

The ICV is a bit of a bitch to get to, but it's doable in a couple hours. It is located next to the throttle body. I cleaned the TB and ICV at the same time. Basically you remove the entire intake (boots and all) and the DISA for clearance. Remove a few bolts for some brackets holding the TB and ICV. Pull the ICV out (it's mounted in a rubber fitting). Undo 4 bolts for TB. Then you use Throttle Body cleaner on them. This procedure is a good opportunity to fully inspect your intake system (boots and vacuum hoses) for leaks. That could contribute to your poorly running car.

BTW, for extra space to work in, I removed the cabin air filter tray, and then pulled out that divider that separates the master cylinder from the rest of the engine bay.

Common Sense is officially dead.

Last edited by WDE46; 04-14-2013 at 10:55 AM.
WDE46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 11:51 AM   #10
Importjunkie

My Ride: 00 Prelude
I had this same issue when I first got the car. Search on this forum for "beisan vanos seals". When I changed out the old vanos seals for these it fixed all my random stalling issues.
Importjunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 02:26 AM   #11
iRide113

My Ride: 2004 325i
Vanos seals or possibly TPS?
iRide113 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 09:10 AM   #12
clydesdale

I have not gotten a check engine light and was told to start with the icv first by a few sources. I bought the car used and the vanos was replaced under warranty. I know that does not mean it is not causing problems now. But, will that or the tps throw a code? Are these codes ever silent, to where I won't get a CEL, but the code will be there? What other symtoms come with bad vanos seals? I thought the car can start sounding like a diesel.

Last edited by clydesdale; 04-15-2013 at 09:46 AM.
Old 04-15-2013, 12:56 PM   #13
NumbaOneNewb

My Ride: 2003 330CI Silver
I think i know your problem. If you recently or currently experiencing a valve cover gasket leak, you need to check your plugs. Your issue sounds worst than the problem I had. Mine was because 2-3 plugs fouled up from oil getting into it. if you've changed your plugs prior to changing gasket, check the plugs again.

For me, during cold starts, it'd seem fine. no issues. as soon as I warm up, that's when I have the bouncing idle. my car would guarantee stall if I was going faster than usual getting ready to make a turn. Halfway through the turn the car stalls and I have an auto tranny but like you, I noticed that as I was braking, being that I was going fast, the RPMs of course dropped from a higher height, plummeting straight through and causing me to stall. It'd start right back up like nothing ever happen and continues chugging right along. In an auto tranny, I noticed that if braking, especially from a higher rpm, the tranny would throw the car into neutral, causing that familiar free falling rpm needle manuals experience when pushing in their clutch. that always made my car either stall or my idle bounce around.

I chased this for 8 months. I failed to check all my plugs during valve cover gasket change. I only checked like 2 of them and since they looked decent to me, I didn't bother checking the rest.
Portland Metro: ECU updates, Euro tune, euro corner delete, air bag light, DSC light, cluster and any led color change, soldering work, transponders for keys, and all custom work related to computer or electronics.DIY AK90 A walk through on coding your mcu and transponders EWS3 How to make your own key (ak90 review)

Last edited by NumbaOneNewb; 04-15-2013 at 01:00 PM.
NumbaOneNewb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 03:36 PM   #14
clydesdale

I'll check, but the car has no leaks that I am aware of. Also, it idles perfectly. It is really just occassionaly when you run the rpms up and then put the clutch in as you are rolling into a parking lot or such.
Old 05-02-2013, 08:48 PM   #15
clydesdale

The problem ended up being a crack in the upper elbow of the piping to the throttle body.