E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > General Off-Topic

General Off-Topic
Everything not about BMWs. Posts must be "primetime" safe and in good taste. You must be logged in to see sub-forums.
Click here to browse all new posts.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-07-2013, 09:34 PM   #1
trippinbillies4

My Ride: '02 Mini, '13 FR-S
Beat up my new FR-S this weekend

So 3 weeks into owning the car, decided it was time to stop being so nice and beat up on her a little. Went to Putnam Park on Friday with 10/10ths Motorsports. The car is bone stock except for some used Star Specs for tires. The car was great at the track except for brakes. Stock pads fade extremely bad when used hard. I seriously could only get about 3 hot laps in before I started to lose them. Fluid seemed to hold up ok as my pedal isn't soft now, but the pads are pretty glazed over. Will reluctantly be moving to Hawk HP+ and dealing with school bus squeal due to my disappointment in the stock brakes.

Managed a 1:24.9 at Putnam, which I think is pretty on par for where I should have been. Tony from TiC was there driving with Greg and his BRZ. The BRZ has koni yellows, RCE springs, camber plates, and 255 wide RS3s. Tony was able to do mid 1:22's. I think the koni's are the biggest thing I could have hoped for as a small expense, as the car was really unhappy over some of the bumps and off camber stuff at the limit, where the BRZ seemed to tackle them with ease. Corner 4 and coming out of 9 is where Tony really left me bad.

Anyways, here's video of my final session, brakes are pretty bad at this point and the star specs were pretty effing hot. My buddy Tom is in the blue miata, the kid is an alien when it comes to driving. It's close to a spec miata build in a street car, on R888's. Watch towards the end to see Greg turning the BRZ into a lawn mower

And here's video from the Cincy SCCA Test and Tune yesterday. Brought my car out for shits and giggles even though we were there to tune up my friend Holly's FR-S for RTR competition this year. Still stock, gross brakes... Her car has konis, a front bar (Strano I believe), camber bolts, an alignment, and new Rivals. My car was a BLAST to drive because it was so twitchy. I managed a 44.6 on the course in mine. After tweaking Holly's a bit, I got hers down to a 43.6. Strano had the car set up really really well without even driving it. We took some rebound out of the front and it went from pushy to neutral in an instance. Very happy with it, and might play with tire pressures a bit at the NJ Pro in a couple weeks to help free the back end up again. The Rivals have a ton of grip but punish the hell out of you if you go over the limit on them. Anyways, here's my 44.6 with my party arms in full swing, and I'll try to get the video from Holly's car up here too.

'02 Mini Cooper #40HS, '13 Scion FR-S #40CS, '12 Ducati SF848

Last edited by trippinbillies4; 04-07-2013 at 09:34 PM.
trippinbillies4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 09:48 PM   #2
Fergo

My Ride: still a gay 135i
Looked like a blast!

2 easy 2 make hp turbos
all cash
Fergo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 09:52 PM   #3
elite53

My Ride: Twin Screwed 325Ci
FYI- I don't think you'll be disappointed with the Hawk brakes. They actually do pretty well on the street. They didn't squeal at all on my car. I had a set on my BMW most of last summer instead of changing them out between track days. They wear pretty fast on the street though. When I was using them just for track days they lasted quite a while but for some reason street use was kinda hard on them.
elite53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 09:56 PM   #4
dreamdrivedrift

My Ride: 99 M3 & 95 325i
Send a message via AIM to dreamdrivedrift
Good stuff. I'm curious to hear more about the Rivals - I was between them and the Z2's but ended up getting the Z2's since at the time there wasn't much info out on the Rivals
Old 04-07-2013, 10:27 PM   #5
Andy2108

My Ride: E46 M3, '67 Cobra
Quote:
Originally Posted by elite53 View Post
FYI- I don't think you'll be disappointed with the Hawk brakes. They actually do pretty well on the street. They didn't squeal at all on my car. I had a set on my BMW most of last summer instead of changing them out between track days. They wear pretty fast on the street though. When I was using them just for track days they lasted quite a while but for some reason street use was kinda hard on them.
weird. what kind of rotors do you have? blanks?

De gustibus non est disputandum.
Andy2108 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 09:33 AM   #6
trippinbillies4

Quote:
Originally Posted by elite53 View Post
I've had HP+ on my last 3 cars haha, very familiar with them. Was just trying to avoid the squeal and dust this time and really not use the car much for track/autocross events. That lasted three weeks...

Old 04-08-2013, 09:53 AM   #7
joeski3d

My Ride: 2000 323i
Why were you not shouting "NEMESIS!" throughout the videos?

Ballbusters Inc.

DISCLAIMER: No balls were physically hurt during the reading of this post. Should redness and/or swelling occur consult your gynecologist immediately.
joeski3d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 09:58 AM   #8
evolved

My Ride: 2011 BMW 135i
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeski3d View Post

I love that video

Present
2011 BMW 135i - BSM
Past
2006 Mazdaspeed 6 GT, 2000 BMW 323ci, 2003 Evolution VIII, 1995 Nissan 240sx w/ SR20DET

E46Sig
evolved is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 10:14 AM   #9
Custom3

My Ride: HellRot 330CI
looks like a lot of fun....I would have been lost on that cone course....looks like a bunch of cones placed all over....I need guidance...lol
Custom3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 10:35 AM   #10
NFRs2000nyc

My Ride: 2003 FormulaRedS2000
If you are going to run hawk ceramics on your ride, I would highly recommend a set of brake dust shields. I ran ceramics for one dragon run, and the ceramic sparks absolutely tore through my wheels (destroyed the finish.) After installing a shield I haven't had any issues.
Old 04-08-2013, 10:47 AM   #11
oofie

My Ride: 07 Fit
Send a message via AIM to oofie
Great driving, especially on that autocross video.

I've been thinking of trading in my Civic for something I can use on HPDE days and I've been thinking Miata. However, after this, I might save up and go for an FR-S in a year or so. Is the FR-S worth it at MSRP?

EDIT: From the autocross video, it looks like it would understeer for a bit then oversteer? Or is it just in transitions?

Last edited by oofie; 04-08-2013 at 11:29 AM.
oofie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 10:53 AM   #12
328ci906

My Ride: 2003 M3
Wow, that auto-X video was awesome!!! Great driving, it's nice to see someone who can drive flogging one of these new FR-S's. They are such an awesome car for auto enthusiasts.
Old 04-08-2013, 11:29 AM   #13
DaN_the_MaN

My Ride: 2011 GTR
Have you thought about endless pads? They are a little more expensive, but last freaking forever. Took them on 3 track events and still looked brand new!
DaN_the_MaN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 11:37 AM   #14
rohde88

My Ride: S2000
Quote:
Originally Posted by oofie View Post

I've been thinking of trading in my Civic for something I can use on HPDE days and I've been thinking Miata. However, after this, I might save up and go for an FR-S in a year or so. Is the FR-S worth it at MSRP?

EDIT: From the autocross video, it looks like it would understeer for a bit then oversteer? Or is it just in transitions?
sell one watch, boom new FRS at MSRP.
Old 04-08-2013, 12:24 PM   #15
trippinbillies4

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeski3d View Post
I'll have to remember that for next time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by oofie View Post

If you want a track day beater, it's hard to beat a Miata for the $$$. The blue one being driven by Tom was running low 1:22's at this course compared to my low 1:25's. He paid $5500 for that car and it came with the extra wheels and R888's. Bone stock, the FRS is a hard car to drive really fast. It's pretty loose. As for the autocross, the understeer was partially because of very hot Star Specs not being happy after several back-to-back runs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 328ci906 View Post
Wow, that auto-X video was awesome!!! Great driving, it's nice to see someone who can drive flogging one of these new FR-S's. They are such an awesome car for auto enthusiasts.
Thanks for the compliments! That run was more showy than fast haha. The car we're developing for national competition was faster and way less dramatic. I was just out to have a little fun in my car since I've been campaigning the Mini for three years now. FWD frustration haha.

Old 04-08-2013, 12:31 PM   #16
LeMansteve

My Ride: '04 330i 6mt ZSP ZPP
Nice. Good call on replacing the tires. I test drove one with stock tires and it was incredibly easy to invoke ABS/TCS/stability control. Other than that, the handling was great.
Old 04-08-2013, 12:37 PM   #17
trippinbillies4

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeMansteve View Post
Nice. Good call on replacing the tires. I test drove one with stock tires and it was incredibly easy to invoke ABS/TCS/stability control. Other than that, the handling was great.

Old 04-08-2013, 01:19 PM   #18
elite53

My Ride: Twin Screwed 325Ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy2108 View Post
weird. what kind of rotors do you have? blanks?
Yep.
elite53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 02:02 PM   #19
zuckuss00

My Ride: K24Z7
My friends has a BRZ... I drove it a couple times, it was really underwhelming. The 2.0 boxer is just too weak for the car.

UUC Motorwerks | Vörsteiner | JLeviSW | VMR | DTM-Spec | Euro Dyne | ModBargains | EAS
zuckuss00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 02:06 PM   #20
NFRs2000nyc

My Ride: 2003 FormulaRedS2000
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeMansteve View Post
I have star specs on my s2000, and they probably the stickest tire I have ever had on there. Really hard for them to give up.