E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > General Off-Topic

General Off-Topic
Everything not about BMWs. Posts must be "primetime" safe and in good taste. You must be logged in to see sub-forums.
Click here to browse all new posts.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 04-08-2013, 12:56 PM   #21
2000_328CI
DK Jack Sparrow
 
2000_328CI's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Isla de Muerta | DC/VA
Posts: 29,024
My Ride: 328Ci | Range Rover
Send a message via AIM to 2000_328CI Send a message via MSN to 2000_328CI
Quote:
Originally Posted by VaderDave View Post
SRS: nothing. It's still an excellent school by all accounts.
Except there are WAY too many kids dressing like this these days :



When I was there, it was nothing but tshirts, jeans, and sandals.
__________________

Everything you need to know on muffler deletes : http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=745244
Wrapping an E46 in Vinyl : http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthr...ghlight=bronze
2000_328CI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 12:57 PM   #22
v8 5
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: New Jarzy, New Jarzy
Posts: 343
My Ride: 6 speed BMW
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2000_328CI View Post
and sandals.
lol wut
__________________
Gutted with a Getrag



We have 4 websites within the family.
v8 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 01:07 PM   #23
Mike Larry
Registered User
 
Mike Larry's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Miami, FL
Posts: 131
My Ride: 575 nello
the georgetown jokes
__________________
Mike Larry is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 01:14 PM   #24
NFRs2000nyc
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: NYC/NJ
Posts: 893
My Ride: 2003 FormulaRedS2000
Quote:
Originally Posted by KamPow3r View Post
There are several sites that offer to create "Official Looking" College Degrees and of course I needed to come here with it. Has anyone ACTUALLY tried this and was able to get away with it? Personally, I don't need to take advantage of this because I already got legit diploma but this was brought up to my attention the other day and was curious if any other fellow members tried it out or know somebody else that has.

I am just curious if people tried this with their employer and were able to get away with it and have a pretty successful profession from it.
Unless you are a professional (MD, JD, CPA, engineer, etc), the real one and the fake one have exactly the same value.
__________________
NFRs2000nyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 01:18 PM   #25
KamPow3r
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 827
My Ride: ....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grande D View Post
Someone's been watching too much TV.

No, it doesn't work. And don't even try the "my friend wants to know..." card.
No. I just find it funny that people actually are willing to spend the money for something like that. I just was wondering if others have tried this cause you never know on e46OT.
__________________
"Aerodynamics are for people who cannot build engines..."
- Enzo Ferrari
KamPow3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 01:19 PM   #26
Carskibum
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Hoboken, NJ
Posts: 3,116
My Ride: E90
Send a message via AIM to Carskibum
I heard that aids is out of control at Georgetown.

I work for a fortune 50 and they never verified diploma or transcript.
__________________
Carskibum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 01:23 PM   #27
evolved
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Saint Louis, MO
Posts: 815
My Ride: 2011 BMW 135i
Anyone else reminded of Frank Abagnale, Jr.?


Quote:
Originally Posted by NFRs2000nyc View Post
Unless you are a professional (MD, JD, CPA, engineer, etc), the real one and the fake one have exactly the same value.
lol

This old chestnut again.
__________________

Present
2011 BMW 135i - BSM
Past
2006 Mazdaspeed 6 GT, 2000 BMW 323ci, 2003 Evolution VIII, 1995 Nissan 240sx w/ SR20DET

E46Sig
evolved is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 01:26 PM   #28
NFRs2000nyc
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: NYC/NJ
Posts: 893
My Ride: 2003 FormulaRedS2000
Quote:
Originally Posted by evolved View Post
Anyone else reminded of Frank Abagnale, Jr.?




lol

This old chestnut again.
I still believe that 4 years of relevant work experience is far more marketable than 4 years of a major with a bachelor's degree. That or a trade school. I hire managers all the time, with salaries ranging from 55K-75K. I would faster take someone who has worked at McDonalds for 4 years (with promotions) than someone that has crawled out of the Cornell hospitality school without any work experience. As a matter of fact, I do. I always put the people that worked for the big name companies on the top of the pile. Now, granted, this doesn't work for many industries, but like I said above, if you are not going to be a professional, you may want to consider an alternative.
__________________

Last edited by NFRs2000nyc; 04-08-2013 at 01:29 PM.
NFRs2000nyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 01:27 PM   #29
evolved
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Saint Louis, MO
Posts: 815
My Ride: 2011 BMW 135i
Quote:
Originally Posted by NFRs2000nyc View Post
I still believe that 4 years of relevant work experience is far more marketable than 4 years of a major with a bachelor's degree. That or a trade school.
Average lifetime earnings for those with a college degree > average lifetime earnings for those with a highschool diploma.
__________________

Present
2011 BMW 135i - BSM
Past
2006 Mazdaspeed 6 GT, 2000 BMW 323ci, 2003 Evolution VIII, 1995 Nissan 240sx w/ SR20DET

E46Sig
evolved is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 01:35 PM   #30
NFRs2000nyc
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: NYC/NJ
Posts: 893
My Ride: 2003 FormulaRedS2000
Quote:
Originally Posted by evolved View Post
Average lifetime earnings for those with a college degree > average lifetime earnings for those with a highschool diploma.

Completely untrue, and a completely biased and skewed figure. What are the samples? Comparing a college grad to someone that "didn't go to college" is hardly a relevant statistic. Plenty of construction guys make an excellent living never having gone to college. If your argument is going to college will probably get your more money than sitting at home on your ass, sure. However, that's now what we are talking about here. We are talking about going to college (factor in the opportunity cost of lost income) added to the school debt, factor in that you are 4 years behind in job knowledge (against someone that spent those 4 years working in the field instead of sitting in a classroom) and the earning potential shrinks dramatically. The figure is greatly skewed simply by the fact that there are plenty of poor people in this country, and few of them have a college degree. I know you are not a fan of personal anecdotes, but all the well to do people I know, are college educated (net worth of may 1MM or that area.) All the RICH people I know (including the major owners of some of the restaurant groups I worked for) are self made and are NOT college educated.
__________________
NFRs2000nyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 01:37 PM   #31
evolved
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Saint Louis, MO
Posts: 815
My Ride: 2011 BMW 135i
Quote:
Originally Posted by NFRs2000nyc View Post
Completely untrue, and a completely biased and skewed figure. What are the samples? Comparing a college grad to someone that "didn't go to college" is hardly a relevant statistic. Plenty of construction guys make an excellent living never having gone to college. If your argument is going to college will probably get your more money than sitting at home on your ass, sure. However, that's now what we are talking about here. We are talking about going to college (factor in the opportunity cost of lost income) added to the school debt, factor in that you are 4 years behind in job knowledge (against someone that spent those 4 years working in the field instead of sitting in a classroom) and the earning potential shrinks dramatically. The figure is greatly skewed simply by the fact that there are plenty of poor people in this country, and few of them have a college degree. I know you are not a fan of personal anecdotes, but all the well to do people I know, are college educated (net worth of may 1MM or that area.) All the RICH people I know (including the major owners of some of the restaurant groups I worked for) are self made and are NOT college educated.
It's completely true. I'm talking about averages where you are cherry picking convenient stories and situations. The AVERAGE person with a 4 year college degree will have higher lifetime earnings compared to an AVERAGE person with just a highschool diploma.
__________________

Present
2011 BMW 135i - BSM
Past
2006 Mazdaspeed 6 GT, 2000 BMW 323ci, 2003 Evolution VIII, 1995 Nissan 240sx w/ SR20DET

E46Sig
evolved is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 01:39 PM   #32
NFRs2000nyc
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: NYC/NJ
Posts: 893
My Ride: 2003 FormulaRedS2000
Quote:
Originally Posted by evolved View Post
It's completely true. I'm talking about averages where you are cherry picking convenient stories and situations. The AVERAGE person with a 4 year college degree will have higher lifetime earnings compared to an AVERAGE person with just a highschool diploma.
Id like to think that the people on a BMW forum strive to be slightly above average, or at least pretend to be.
__________________
NFRs2000nyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 01:40 PM   #33
andrewrossnagel
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: nyc
Posts: 245
My Ride: .
Quote:
Originally Posted by evolved View Post
Average lifetime earnings for those with a college degree > average lifetime earnings for those with a highschool diploma.
i didnt need to graduate college for my profession and i will make much more than others, have better health benefits and a better retirement option. the only ones who will compete have masters and have spent 6+ years at an expensive school.
andrewrossnagel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 01:46 PM   #34
217Bimmer
E46Fanatic
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: not Illinois
Posts: 146
My Ride: 2001 BMW 330i
Quote:
Originally Posted by NFRs2000nyc View Post
Completely untrue, and a completely biased and skewed figure. What are the samples? Comparing a college grad to someone that "didn't go to college" is hardly a relevant statistic. Plenty of construction guys make an excellent living never having gone to college. If your argument is going to college will probably get your more money than sitting at home on your ass, sure. However, that's now what we are talking about here. We are talking about going to college (factor in the opportunity cost of lost income) added to the school debt, factor in that you are 4 years behind in job knowledge (against someone that spent those 4 years working in the field instead of sitting in a classroom) and the earning potential shrinks dramatically. The figure is greatly skewed simply by the fact that there are plenty of poor people in this country, and few of them have a college degree. I know you are not a fan of personal anecdotes, but all the well to do people I know, are college educated (net worth of may 1MM or that area.) All the RICH people I know (including the major owners of some of the restaurant groups I worked for) are self made and are NOT college educated.
if you don't think that is true.





Criteria Overall Less than 9th grade High school drop-out High school graduate Some college Associates degree Bachelor's degree Bachelor's degree or more Master's degree Professional degree Doctorate degree
Median individual income Male, age 25+ $33,517 $15,461 $18,990 $28,763 $35,073 $39,015 $50,916 $55,751 $61,698 $88,530 $73,853
Female, age 25+ $19,679 $9,296 $10,786 $15,962 $21,007 $24,808 $31,309 $35,125 $41,334 $48,536 $53,003
Median household income $45,016 $18,787 $22,718 $36,835 $45,854 $51,970 $68,728 $73,446 $78,541 $100,000 $96,830

Last edited by 217Bimmer; 04-08-2013 at 01:47 PM.
217Bimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 01:47 PM   #35
3coupe
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: CA
Posts: 300
My Ride: 330Ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by NFRs2000nyc View Post
Completely untrue, and a completely biased and skewed figure. What are the samples? Comparing a college grad to someone that "didn't go to college" is hardly a relevant statistic. Plenty of construction guys make an excellent living never having gone to college. If your argument is going to college will probably get your more money than sitting at home on your ass, sure. However, that's now what we are talking about here. We are talking about going to college (factor in the opportunity cost of lost income) added to the school debt, factor in that you are 4 years behind in job knowledge (against someone that spent those 4 years working in the field instead of sitting in a classroom) and the earning potential shrinks dramatically. The figure is greatly skewed simply by the fact that there are plenty of poor people in this country, and few of them have a college degree. I know you are not a fan of personal anecdotes, but all the well to do people I know, are college educated (net worth of may 1MM or that area.) All the RICH people I know (including the major owners of some of the restaurant groups I worked for) are self made and are NOT college educated.

You don't even have to go that far. People that have ambition and want to work usually get good enough grades to go to college. It's a matter of deciding you want to do something of your life, and since we are taught that you need college to be successful most people with ambition go to college even if you don't really need it for most jobs. People that are successful with out going to college, either decided they didn't need it ( your example, construction guys that don't need engineering degrees), or people that simply couldn't go to college because they couldn't afford it, or didn't have the chance not to work after high school.
3coupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 01:50 PM   #36
Carskibum
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Hoboken, NJ
Posts: 3,116
My Ride: E90
Send a message via AIM to Carskibum
Quote:
Originally Posted by NFRs2000nyc View Post
Completely untrue, and a completely biased and skewed figure. What are the samples? Comparing a college grad to someone that "didn't go to college" is hardly a relevant statistic. Plenty of construction guys make an excellent living never having gone to college. If your argument is going to college will probably get your more money than sitting at home on your ass, sure. However, that's now what we are talking about here. We are talking about going to college (factor in the opportunity cost of lost income) added to the school debt, factor in that you are 4 years behind in job knowledge (against someone that spent those 4 years working in the field instead of sitting in a classroom) and the earning potential shrinks dramatically. The figure is greatly skewed simply by the fact that there are plenty of poor people in this country, and few of them have a college degree. I know you are not a fan of personal anecdotes, but all the well to do people I know, are college educated (net worth of may 1MM or that area.) All the RICH people I know (including the major owners of some of the restaurant groups I worked for) are self made and are NOT college educated.
Is that not what you are arguing?
__________________
Carskibum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 01:50 PM   #37
VaderDave
Invictus
 
VaderDave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: El Dorado Hills, CA
Posts: 11,899
My Ride: 330CiC ZHP
Has there ever been a thread on this forum that mentioned college that didn't eventually wind up with this same pissing contest between college vs. no college?
VaderDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 01:56 PM   #38
andrewrossnagel
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: nyc
Posts: 245
My Ride: .
Quote:
Originally Posted by casino is no lie View Post
Immediately followed by...
all my co workers make 110-165k in mechanical construction with no college and no climbing of the company ladder. the ones that do start at over 180k. just stating is very possible.
andrewrossnagel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 02:00 PM   #39
casino is no lie
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: CDT
Posts: 76
My Ride: M54B30
Quote:
Originally Posted by NFRs2000nyc View Post
Completely untrue, and a completely biased and skewed figure. What are the samples? Comparing a college grad to someone that "didn't go to college" is hardly a relevant statistic.
Immediately followed by...

Quote:
Originally Posted by NFRs2000nyc View Post
Plenty of construction guys make an excellent living never having gone to college.

The rule of averages. Don't use an exception to prove a rule.
__________________
casino is no lie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 02:03 PM   #40
217Bimmer
E46Fanatic
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: not Illinois
Posts: 146
My Ride: 2001 BMW 330i
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewrossnagel View Post
all my co workers make 110-165k in mechanical construction with no college and no climbing of the company ladder. the ones that do start at over 180k. just stating is very possible.
you are the cream of the crop. yes, trades earn very good money, but it is not enough to balance out the many more people who make $12,000 a year or who are unemployed or on welfare.

the percentage of people making what you do without a BS is very small compared to the percentage of college grads making that kind of money.
217Bimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Censor is ON





All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:51 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
(c) 1999 - 2011 performanceIX Inc - privacy policy - terms of use