E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Motorsports & Track Forum by BimmerWorld

Motorsports & Track Forum by BimmerWorld
From Auto-X to Trackday to Racing and Professional Motorsports this is the place to discuss making BMWs fast
Sponsored by BimmerWorld

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-08-2013, 04:55 PM   #1
Stickystuff

My Ride: E46 M3
E46 M3 track conversion

Hey guys, getting a new daily driver and want to start the conversion. Basically I do DE events at this point. Already order seats/harness and dropping weight. But wanted to see what coilovers and brakes you guys recommend. I don't need the best but want some pretty good stuff that dosent take a ton of tuning.
Stickystuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 04-09-2013, 12:23 PM   #2
the_iceman

My Ride: 99 323i RIP,01 330ci
How much money do you want to spend? If youre not looking for top of the line competition decide on a budget and get whats best at that price. That being said you have a few options when it comes to suspension. A lot of E46 owners go with H&R coilovers which will set you back about $1300 but there are other options as well. KW I've heard are good but much more expensive and honestly I've never driven that setup before. I personally use megan racing "euro street series" which are a little cheaper in price...about a grand but IMO are an excellent track setup with 32 adjustible damper settings and I highly recommend them. As for brakes you can go for the big brake systems, Brembo, Stoptech, BMW Performance....but thats going to cost you a lot. If youre only doing track days/schools and so on you'll be fine with running stock calipers with upgraded pads. I swear by hawk pads. The Hawk HPS are a very aggressive pad but not too much for the street so if your car is going to see the street at all I'd suggest those (its what i use) or if this is strictly going to be a track car you can go with the HP Plus which are basically for track use only. One thing I will say though is that if you plan on running more aggressive pads and the car is going to see the track on a regular basis, then you should upgrade your rotors as well or they will warp. Contrary to popular belief drilled rotors are not your best option (unless buying the big brake setup). Yes they "breath" better due to the holes, but those holes create less surface area and heat up quicker and will warp on you if you aren't careful. They're also expensive cuz they look "cool" so I'd rather not have to replace them as often. On a big brake setup though the calipers are longer which speads out the heat over a larger area on the rotor which helps with cooling and they use better materials so you'd be fine. Again though it adds up quick. You're best option are slotted...downside is they too cost more and they'll go through pads quicker. Brembo makes a generic non fancy vented rotor (I'm not sure if they make them for an M3 but they do for other BMW models). Those will run you about 100 each and are excellent.

I'm sure there will be some that disagree and agree with me but this is what I've found and really you just have to find what you like and what works best for you. Hope that at least points you in the right direction and I'm sure I'll run into you at the track as some point since were both from the Northeast. (Figuratively speaking of course lol)
the_iceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 02:07 PM   #3
lejeunebimmer

My Ride: 02' M3 SMG, 02' 330i
For just de stuff stick to either your stock M3 rotors, or upgrade to the csl or zcp rotors. At least use ATE super blue brake fluid, flushed annually, Motul 600 I'd also a great option, stainless steel brake lines for sure, solid brake guide bushings, maybe titanium thermal backing plates (can probably skip these), eventually the cooling ducts and backing plates from either Bimmerworld or Turnermotorsport. Hawk HPS for the street, HP+ is okay on the track, but as you get better, or if you are running grippy tires, they will fade, so maybe go with PFC 01 or 08 compound in the front and Hawk HP+ in the rear. Other wise your stock calipers are just fine for the job.

Suspension, go either H&R or hotchkis adjustable sways, reinforce the rear subframe, upgrade the rear diff and subframe bushings to some AKG pieces, Bilstein PSS9 if you're looking to keep it somewhat cheap, otherwise AST 4100 or 4200 with Hyperco Springs or similar.
330i - AA Tuned, Headers, UUC Stage I LW FW, e36 M3 Clutch, UUC SS Clutch line, BMW Performance Intake, Evo Sport Pulleys, BMW Performance Cross-Drilled Rotors, Hawk HPS, BW SS Brake Lines, BW Solid Guide Bushings, BMW Performance CF Strut Brace, H&R Sways, H&R Sport Springs, Bilstein Sport Shocks, Powerflex Bushings, LED Tails, Clear Sides/Turns, Black Grill, Mtech 2, CF Splitters

M3 - Not enough room to list
lejeunebimmer is offline   Reply With Quote