E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > General Off-Topic

General Off-Topic
Everything not about BMWs. Posts must be "primetime" safe and in good taste. You must be logged in to see sub-forums.
Click here to browse all new posts.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-08-2013, 07:18 PM   #1
awesomechinz

My Ride: 1999 BMW 323i sedan
Colleges

So interesting question. (Please do not hate and tell me college is a waste of time because I really want to become a doctor.) Any who, the question:

What is all of this stuff about changing majors? Isn't it bad and the reason why people are in college for more than 4 years trying to earn a bachelors degree? I always thought you should have a specific field in mind when you go and push to get there in college. Am I wrong?

The college visits I went on, each tour guide switched majors at least once. I was appalled. Is this common? It can't be good can it?

brown magic
awesomechinz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 07:20 PM   #2
Fergo

My Ride: still a gay 135i
Yes, you are incorrect

^c***s
2 easy 2 make hp turbos
Fergo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 07:21 PM   #3
MDydinanM

My Ride: is a ///M
I switched majors. No big deal. Some people think they know what they want to do, but then find out in college that they are interested in something else. Or they are better at doing something else.

Other times some people find their field too difficult and switch out of necessity.

Last edited by MDydinanM; 04-08-2013 at 07:21 PM.
MDydinanM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 07:23 PM   #4
mattcarle21

My Ride: is Breakin My Wallet
Switching majors usually cost you more money and time, but in the grand scheme if you are doing something you want, it's well worth it. Also, many freshmen and sophomore classes are transferable between degrees, so if done early it's not a big deal.

Autozone is for wannabee's, carefull cuz most of them want to be BMW owners - but can't.- Freeflow
mattcarle21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 07:32 PM   #5
MDydinanM

My Ride: is a ///M
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattcarle21 View Post
also, many freshmen and sophomore classes are transferable between degrees, so if done early it's not a big deal.
+1
MDydinanM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 07:33 PM   #6
zuckuss00

My Ride: K24Z7
Some people switch majors because they can't handle the work load.

A lot of med students will look into dentistry because its a fall back.
Law students sometimes fall back into business or something similar.
You'd be surprised how many Engineering majors change once they taste the curriculum.

Here in California it's very normal to see people transfer into a Uni and change majors once they are admitted. For instance, I am studying Engineering, however, I am a declared math major because I have to have a AS degree to be admitted into a CSU. Once I am admitted, I can change major.

UUC Motorwerks | Vörsteiner | JLeviSW | VMR | DTM-Spec | Euro Dyne | ModBargains | EAS
zuckuss00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 07:33 PM   #7
Grande D

My Ride: E90 M-Sport
You were appalled? What the hell is wrong with you?
dont listen to these fuQ faces... just go to a junk yard and get a used complete left rear end. i cracked my left rear control arm on the highway because i was driving w/o shocks... lol! ***Was too busy caking on these bitches instead of taking care my car!***
Grande D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 07:34 PM   #8
andrewrossnagel

My Ride: .
speak to your advisor
andrewrossnagel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 07:40 PM   #9
mattcarle21

Quote:
Originally Posted by zuckuss00 View Post
Some people switch majors because they can't handle the work load.

A lot of med students will look into dentistry because its a fall back.
Law students sometimes fall back into business or something similar.
You'd be surprised how many Engineering majors change once they taste the curriculum.

Here in California it's very normal to see people transfer into a Uni and change majors once they are admitted. For instance, I am studying Engineering, however, I am a declared math major because I have to have a AS degree to be admitted into a CSU. Once I am admitted, I can change major.
That's me. Went from a dual Aerospace/mechanical engineering to biology. Now in med school. Couldn't hack rocket science, so fell back to physician.

Autozone is for wannabee's, carefull cuz most of them want to be BMW owners - but can't.- Freeflow
Old 04-08-2013, 07:43 PM   #10
Fergo

My Ride: still a gay 135i
Get required courses from a smaller college, then transfer to a bigger school. There is NO sense to waste time and money at a big university

^c***s
2 easy 2 make hp turbos
Fergo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 07:59 PM   #11
zuckuss00

My Ride: K24Z7
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattcarle21 View Post
That's me. Went from a dual Aerospace/mechanical engineering to biology. Now in med school. Couldn't hack rocket science, so fell back to physician.
I'm hoping to finish with a degree in Mech Engineering. I do fine with all the Math and other stuff, Chem kicks my ass though.

I had to take Biology a few semesters ago to fill my req for physical science. I hated every minute of that class. I got to the point where I stopped trying to understand stuff and just memorized what I needed to get a B in the course. I couldn't imagine actually majoring in the stuff.

UUC Motorwerks | Vörsteiner | JLeviSW | VMR | DTM-Spec | Euro Dyne | ModBargains | EAS
zuckuss00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 08:03 PM   #12
mattcarle21

Quote:
Originally Posted by zuckuss00 View Post
I'm hoping to finish with a degree in Mech Engineering. I do fine with all the Math and other stuff, Chem kicks my ass though. I had to take Biology a few semesters ago to fill my req for physical science. I hated every minute of that class. I got to the point where I stopped trying to understand stuff and just memorized what I needed to get a B in the course. I couldn't imagine actually majoring in the stuff.
It was the exact opposite for me. Memorizing is what I do best, plus I find it interesting.

Old 04-08-2013, 08:27 PM   #13
bimmerfan08

My Ride: Phoenix Yellow M3
Engineering -> Premed (wanted to do biomedical engineering) -> Packaging Engineering/Science degree

At least I stayed technical and finished in 4 years.
"Economics cannot answer such normative or prescriptive questions about how much of our market incomes, if any, should be transferred to poor families. This is a political question that can only be answered at the ballot box, or in some countries, at the point of a gun."
bimmerfan08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 08:45 PM   #14
awesomechinz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grande D View Post
You were appalled? What the hell is wrong with you?
I sorry maybe not appalled but extremely surprised that each of the college visits had guides who told us they changed majors. I did not expect it at all

brown magic
Old 04-08-2013, 08:53 PM   #15
BruceWonder

My Ride: 2011.5 E92 M3
put your mind to it and follow through with good grades in your core science classes. My little sis, GF and I all have bachelor degrees in non-sciences. We did a post bac program and i got accepted into pharmacy school and lil sis just got accepted into MD school. GL
Old 04-08-2013, 08:55 PM   #16
Andy2108

My Ride: E46 M3, '67 Cobra
ME with business as a fallback here

De gustibus non est disputandum.
Andy2108 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 09:22 PM   #17
cowmoo32
drunken science

My Ride: Trek 1.5
I switched majors after the first year, then graduated, then switched again. If you really know what you want to do for the rest of your life at 18, then more power to you. I was not one of those people.

flickher

What's this about a brownie in motion?

Last edited by cowmoo32; 04-08-2013 at 09:23 PM.
cowmoo32 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 09:38 PM   #18
saxual328ci

My Ride: 2004 325ci
I switched majors twice I think. Then graduated. Went back to college and received another degree in a totally different major. Then started a business unrelated to both majors. It didn't cost me more money, just time.

A high school student asked me what I majored in, and they were shocked to hear that it wasn't just one. My response was to them was "do you eat only one kind of food everyday? I mean, like you wake up and eat bread for breakfast, then bread for lunch and dinner?" No, right? So some people like doing more than one thing. Plus you get to learn more things.

You do realize most professions you will have more than one type of degree? A lawyer will have a BA in ??? and ....then a Doctor in Law
Old 04-08-2013, 09:42 PM   #19
awesomechinz

Quote:
Originally Posted by saxual328ci View Post
I switched majors twice I think. Then graduated. Went back to college and received another degree in a totally different major. Then started a business unrelated to both majors. It didn't cost me more money, just time.

A high school student asked me what I majored in, and they were shocked to hear that it wasn't just one. My response was to them was "do you eat only one kind of food everyday? I mean, like you wake up and eat bread for breakfast, then bread for lunch and dinner?" No, right? So some people like doing more than one thing. Plus you get to learn more things.

You do realize most professions you will have more than one type of degree? A lawyer will have a BA in ??? and ....then a Doctor in Law
Oh yes I understand this but my understanding until recently was that most people commit to a major and stick to it and only some switch

brown magic
Old 04-08-2013, 09:48 PM   #20
m1356guy

My Ride: is worth $5k
I knew what I wanted to do well before I even applied for college: Construction Management

As a result, I took an average of 18 units a semester and graduated in 4 years. Which is actually pretty rare for my major. But, if you don't know what you want to get into, take as many GE classes as you can the first year so transferring majors makes it a lot easier.