E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > General Off-Topic

General Off-Topic
Everything not about BMWs. Posts must be "primetime" safe and in good taste. You must be logged in to see sub-forums.
Click here to browse all new posts.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-08-2013, 07:21 PM   #1
adaseb
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Canada
Posts: 1,073
My Ride: 2002 BMW 320i
Who here has test driven a car before with no intention of buying it

When I was young and fell in love with cars at 16 I would constantly go to dealership and dealership and test drive as many cars as I could.

Even if the car was used, slow, or cheap I would test drive it.

I probably wasted many many hours of the salesmen time.

Now that I look back I feel bad for wasting those salesmen time when they could of been helping someone else and actually got a sale.
adaseb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 07:29 PM   #2
Fergo
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: GA
Posts: 532
My Ride: still a gay 135i
Test drove a 991 carerra a couple weeks ago. Was impressed, told them I was interested in a trade, just wanted to drive a p car though
__________________

2 easy 2 make hp turbos

Last edited by Fergo; 04-08-2013 at 07:30 PM.
Fergo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 07:30 PM   #3
andrewrossnagel
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: nyc
Posts: 245
My Ride: .
oh ok
andrewrossnagel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 07:31 PM   #4
mattcarle21
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: B'ham, AL
Posts: 745
My Ride: is Breakin My Wallet
There were a couple months in high school when some friends and I did this weekly.
__________________

Autozone is for wannabee's, carefull cuz most of them want to be BMW owners - but can't.- Freeflow
mattcarle21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 07:31 PM   #5
GasKing
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Long Island.
Posts: 604
My Ride: 14 Jeep Wrangler
Yes.
__________________
Exitus acta probat
GasKing is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 07:32 PM   #6
Grande D
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Dirty South
Posts: 3,343
My Ride: E90 M-Sport
Yeah I have and I do. Although it's not no intention, it's more like very little chance.
Grande D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 07:33 PM   #7
Fergo
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: GA
Posts: 532
My Ride: still a gay 135i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grande D View Post
Yeah I have and I do. Although it's not no intention, it's more like very little chance.
yeah that's more like it
__________________

2 easy 2 make hp turbos
Fergo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 07:39 PM   #8
NJ///M
Registered User
 
NJ///M's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: BEAST COAST
Posts: 362
My Ride: TACO TRUCK/CBR600F4
Done it before. Salesmen dont have souls anyway.
__________________

"You see, in this world there's two kinds of people, my friend; Those with loaded guns and those who dig."
NJ///M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 07:49 PM   #9
SPDSKTR
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Birmingham, AL, USA
Posts: 2,143
My Ride: E30 with an S52
Last time I did this, I was asked to not come back to the dealership. I apparently scared the salesman in the 335i coupe I was test driving. I deviated from the "normal" test drive route and took my own path. It was glorious.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brucifer325 View Post
I know I suck as an OT poster, but at least I have Edken to make me look good.
SPDSKTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 07:50 PM   #10
Fergo
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: GA
Posts: 532
My Ride: still a gay 135i
^
__________________

2 easy 2 make hp turbos
Fergo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 07:52 PM   #11
kuksul08
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: California
Posts: 2,108
My Ride: M3
There is usually some intention but not much.
__________________

Look at that subtle jet-black coloring. The tasteful thickness of it. Oh my God, it even has a 6mt.
S54 Valve Adjustment Spreadsheet & Info: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/28231781/S54...ent%20info.zip
S54 VANOS DIY Video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9SkT2j3jsU0
kuksul08 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 07:53 PM   #12
PatrickZHP
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Lexington, KY
Posts: 3
My Ride: 2005 Imola Red 330I
I went to test drive a Grabber Blue Mustang GT with no interest in buying it...

Drove off the lot with it.

-Patrick
PatrickZHP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 07:59 PM   #13
Vin Vega
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Cary NC
Posts: 22
My Ride: 2000 328Ci
Someone find the video of that guy that drove the **** out of that SVT mustang with no intention to buy on video. When he was done roasting the tires he asks the poor guy if they had it in another color.
Vin Vega is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 08:01 PM   #14
mattcarle21
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: B'ham, AL
Posts: 745
My Ride: is Breakin My Wallet
Quote:
Originally Posted by SPDSKTR View Post
Last time I did this, I was asked to not come back to the dealership. I apparently scared the salesman in the 335i coupe I was test driving. I deviated from the "normal" test drive route and took my own path. It was glorious.
I did this at the Carmax in Hoover. Went in to see how much they'd give me for an accord I had for 3 months . I already had my 330 at the time and was eyeing a manual vert M3 they had. Salesman thought we should kill some time why I waited on a quote. I definitely took advantage of it. Salesman was speechless from about 80-135. Then when back down to 70 with a scared look on his face he said 'I've never been that fast before". Brought the car back and got a quote for 2k for the accord. Sold it on craigs for 6k.
__________________

Autozone is for wannabee's, carefull cuz most of them want to be BMW owners - but can't.- Freeflow

Last edited by mattcarle21; 04-08-2013 at 08:02 PM.
mattcarle21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 08:10 PM   #15
SPDSKTR
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Birmingham, AL, USA
Posts: 2,143
My Ride: E30 with an S52
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vin Vega View Post
Someone find the video of that guy that drove the **** out of that SVT mustang with no intention to buy on video. When he was done roasting the tires he asks the poor guy if they had it in another color.


Quote:
Originally Posted by mattcarle21 View Post
I did this at the Carmax in Hoover. Went in to see how much they'd give me for an accord I had for 3 months . I already had my 330 at the time and was eyeing a manual vert M3 they had. Salesman thought we should kill some time why I waited on a quote. I definitely took advantage of it. Salesman was speechless from about 80-135. Then when back down to 70 with a scared look on his face he said 'I've never been that fast before". Brought the car back and got a quote for 2k for the accord. Sold it on craigs for 6k.


I bought my 2003 Mustang GT from there. Shame I didn't get to enjoy it more...

Oh. I drove an E93 ///M3 at Donohoo Auto not too long ago. They sent a kid with me for the ride along (he was 17 years old). When I told him I took it to 130-ish MPH (on a closed course, obviously), he had the biggest ****-eating grin on his face. I hit the on-ramp from Valleydale Rd. onto I-65 South fast enough to make the rear end try and kick out. You could definitely hear the tires protesting my efforts.

I made that kid's day.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brucifer325 View Post
I know I suck as an OT poster, but at least I have Edken to make me look good.
SPDSKTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 08:10 PM   #16
Redline
Registered User
 
Redline's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Florida
Posts: 2,202
My Ride: ///M3 Vert
Used to all the time, i like the higher end/or exotic dealerships because business is slow and chances are the salesmen are bored and itching to go for a test drive. Last time I was at Porsche we both ragged on a cayman s for an extended test drive, took turns driving it. Was fun.

Just choose a used car to test drive. New cars are harder and a PITA if its on the showroom floor and a waste of their time...
__________________
k.

///M

Last edited by Redline; 04-08-2013 at 08:15 PM.
Redline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 08:10 PM   #17
2000beamer
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: SoFlo
Posts: 529
My Ride: 2000 323i
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattcarle21 View Post
There were a couple months in high school when some friends and I did this weekly.
These days I can't imagine that a 16 y/o can walk into a dealership and test drive a 400 horsepower muscle car without a parent to accompany them. I haven't tried, but I'm just assuming.
__________________
[/SIGPIC]
2000beamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 08:16 PM   #18
Redline
Registered User
 
Redline's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Florida
Posts: 2,202
My Ride: ///M3 Vert
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2000beamer View Post
These days I can't imagine that a 16 y/o can walk into a dealership and test drive a 400 horsepower muscle car without a parent to accompany them. I haven't tried, but I'm just assuming.
Usually gotta be 18 to test drive...
__________________
k.

///M
Redline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 08:18 PM   #19
LeMansteve
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: USA - GA
Posts: 1,754
My Ride: '04 330i 6mt ZSP ZPP
There was a brand new 1M that was ragged out pretty hard straight off the truck by a dealership employee - all before it was delivered to the customer. Just like in Braveheart where the dickhead English lord would claim virgin brides on their wedding night.
__________________
BMW CCA member - Peachtree Chapter

Last edited by LeMansteve; 04-08-2013 at 08:20 PM.
LeMansteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 08:19 PM   #20
Fergo
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: GA
Posts: 532
My Ride: still a gay 135i
Quote:
Originally Posted by SPDSKTR View Post






I bought my 2003 Mustang GT from there. Shame I didn't get to enjoy it more...

Oh. I drove an E93 ///M3 at Donohoo Auto not too long ago. They sent a kid with me for the ride along (he was 17 years old). When I told him I took it to 130-ish MPH (on a closed course, obviously), he had the biggest ****-eating grin on his face. I hit the on-ramp from Valleydale Rd. onto I-65 South fast enough to make the rear end try and kick out. You could definitely hear the tires protesting my efforts.

I made that kid's day.
Almost bought a car from donohoo, they always have pretty good cars
__________________

2 easy 2 make hp turbos
Fergo is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Censor is ON





All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:01 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
(c) 1999 - 2011 performanceIX Inc - privacy policy - terms of use