E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-09-2013, 11:19 AM   #1
nwcfc

My Ride: BMW E46 325Ci
BMW E46 2001 325Ci Problems

Hello everyone,

Im new to the forum but thought i would give it a go and see if anyone would be able to help me.
I have 2 big problems at the moment:

The first is i recently had a reconditioned engine put into the car due to the old one blowing its bottom end.
When i got the car from the garage after the change of engine they told me that i would need to leave the air flow sensor unplugged as when it was plugged in the car would stall immediately. I did this and bought a new air flow sensor but when this was replaced the problem would still occur.
I took the car back and they have replaced a couple of other sensors and re calibrated the vanos and the engine is alot better. However it sometimes cuts out when driving at low revs. I can also sit still in the car and rev just above 1000 and the rev counter will start bouncing and then cut out without my foot moving at all.

The second problem i have is the airbag light is on and the reason for this is just a problem with the (not sure of real name) but the device that retracts the seatbelt in a crash. I have been told that this part is very expensive and i can fit a resistor (bought on ebay for around 8) to the sensor and the light will go off but im not sure if this is right. Also if it is right what kind of resistor will i have to buy?

Would appreciate any help whatsoever.
Thanks Alot
nwcfc is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 04-09-2013, 11:50 AM   #2
NumbaOneNewb

My Ride: 2001 bmw 330ci
Perhaps a fuel problem. How much gas showing on your gauge

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Bimmer App
Portland Metro: ECU updates, Euro tune, euro corner delete, air bag light, DSC light, cluster and any led color change, soldering work, transponders for keys, and all custom work related to computer or electronics.DIY AK90 A walk through on coding your mcu and transponders EWS3 How to make your own key (ak90 review)
NumbaOneNewb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 11:51 AM   #3
NumbaOneNewb

Also I hope you didn't buy a cheap maf sensor. If you did, this will be lesson number one. When it comes to electronic parts or sensors must get oem

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Bimmer App
Portland Metro: ECU updates, Euro tune, euro corner delete, air bag light, DSC light, cluster and any led color change, soldering work, transponders for keys, and all custom work related to computer or electronics.DIY AK90 A walk through on coding your mcu and transponders EWS3 How to make your own key (ak90 review)
Old 04-09-2013, 12:05 PM   #4
trj

My Ride: 325Ci
Before jumping into MAF, I suggest you look at the intake boots. See if they are torn or have crack on them.
Replace them. About $20 each, there are 2.
Check/change fuel filter, if there are no cracks on the intake boots.
Your problem looks like it is due to vacuum leak or fuel pressure regulator(which is built into fuel filter for us with M54 engine).
Also for a 325, we can use seimens MAF from hyundai. Its the same part, costs less because its not stamped as BMW. Search this forum for more info.

I believe the airbag light you are describing is due to the pretensioner failing.
Most of the time it is just the wire(harness), if the pretensioner pyro charge hasn't been deployed. The wire is around $16. Search Tim's DIY. He has the part number there.

You might want to clean the ICV and Throttle body as well while replacing the boots. This will help you isolate the problem area.

Get a BMW scanner 1.4, that will be useful to diagnose problems and not run to a mechanic everytime you have a SES or airbag light. You can also reset/readapt the DME with it. Most of the times when you change the sensors, its recommended to readapt the DME.
Old 04-09-2013, 12:59 PM   #5
Importjunkie

My Ride: 00 Prelude
The bouncing revs problem sounds likely to be a vacuum leak. The lower intake boot is usually the culprit on these cars. The intake camshaft position sensor also causes this to happen when it goes bad, but will usually throw a code.
Importjunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 01:09 PM   #6
Chris C

My Ride: 2001 325Ci
I agree with Importjunkie regarding a vacuum leak. When the car stalls does the check engine light come one?
Chris C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 09:49 AM   #7
nwcfc

Yes the check engine light does come on when the car stalls. These problems were not present before the old engine packed in, so does that not mean that these problems are from parts within the new engine that has been put in? Or could the bottom end going have upset the ancillaries aswell?
I will probably take the car back to the place that fitted the engine as i have a 6 month warranty but what shall i say? And does everyone think it wont be a problem with the engine itself?
Also any other feedback on the airbag light at all? The codes read are showing the pre-tensioner is at fault, has anyone heard of this resistor stopping the light from showing?
Old 04-10-2013, 09:50 AM   #8
nwcfc

And no the MAF sensor was not bought cheap, came from BMW themselves for over 100.
Old 04-10-2013, 09:59 AM   #9
NumbaOneNewb

that's actually pretty cheap. Nice. well, not cheap as in china cheap but affordable. anywho, sounds like you have oil gunking up your spark plugs, causing that erratic idling. thank me when you change them out.
Old 04-10-2013, 10:01 AM   #10
nwcfc

Is there any chance this could be an ECU problem? I was told when i was handed down the car that when he bought it, the lambda sensor had been deliberately cut by the previous owner. I was the one that had a new sensor put in and it was 3 months down the line that the engine packed up.
Old 04-10-2013, 10:09 AM   #11
NumbaOneNewb

no. very rare case that it would be your ECU. even if they cut the sensor, as long as you have it all connected it up correctly, you're ok. which sensor was it? if it was any of the post cat sensors, you're in great shape.
Old 04-10-2013, 11:17 AM   #12
slimsojar

My Ride: 2001 BMW 330ci
In reference to your second problem. Just type "E46 airbag bypass" in the search box on eBay. There will be a sensor that just plugs in to where the old sensor was. The airbag light won't just go off though, it has to be reset. The part is not expensive at all and it works. The shop may charge a diagnostic fee to reset it also.
slimsojar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 11:20 AM   #13
slimsojar

My Ride: 2001 BMW 330ci
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByBimmerApp1365610769.820841.jpg
Views:	116
Size:	55.3 KB
ID:	499764

This is what it looks like.
slimsojar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 12:19 PM   #14
nwcfc

And this will still work even with the problem being the pre-tensioner and no actually the airbags themselves?
Old 04-10-2013, 02:19 PM   #15
nwcfc

It seems like these bypass units are only for the common passenger occupancy sensor problem? Thats not going to work for the seatbelt pre-tensioner is it?
Old 04-11-2013, 04:54 PM   #16
nwcfc

Had the diagnostics machine plugged in today and the code coming back is:
P0011 A Camshaft Position - Timing Over-Advanced or System Performance (Bank 1))

Apparently this is a timing issue however the garage assured me they got the timing done perfectly. Any chance this could have anything to do with the solenoid?
And its confusing me how this can cause the irratic reving when between 1000 and 2000 revs.

Any ideas? Would be very appreciated? Also still scratching my head on what to do with this airbag light
Old 04-11-2013, 05:16 PM   #17
Importjunkie

My Ride: 00 Prelude
Quote:
Originally Posted by nwcfc View Post
Had the diagnostics machine plugged in today and the code coming back is:
P0011 A Camshaft Position - Timing Over-Advanced or System Performance (Bank 1))

Apparently this is a timing issue however the garage assured me they got the timing done perfectly. Any chance this could have anything to do with the solenoid?
And its confusing me how this can cause the irratic reving when between 1000 and 2000 revs.

Any ideas? Would be very appreciated? Also still scratching my head on what to do with this airbag light
Probably has to do with the solenoid since a faulty position sensor would be P0340
Importjunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 06:02 PM   #18
nwcfc

Probably a stupid question but if I had a complete engine fitted with no ancillaries, would the solenoid have been replaced aswell or is that classed as an ancillary?
Old 10-05-2013, 12:47 AM   #19
JohnnyJTown

My Ride: 99 323i
The shop telling you that you needed to keep any sensor unplugged to run it, is kind of a red flag right there. Did you ever get this situation resolved?
JohnnyJTown is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
airbag, e46, ecu, engine, vanos