E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Bavarian Soundwerks' Mobile Electronics Forum

Bavarian Soundwerks' Mobile Electronics Forum
Have all your A/V and electronics questions answered here. Ipods, A/V, Radar Detectors Oh My!
Sponsored by Bavarian Soundwerks

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 04-09-2013, 09:25 PM   #1
MattBimmerz

My Ride: 2002 BMW 330CI E46
WinCE Android 7" Touch Panel head unit from China, EW40, Eonon, Enco, Dynavin, etc.

I've edited my original post because I was ranting a lot in it. I may have sounded a bit... crazy. Also, Dynavin is in the title (which I can't edit out), but Jeff says Dynavin is completely different than these Chinese turd head units.

Here is the short version of my post.

So I purchased this item from EwayGPS. It's their EW40 System.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...m=251257580482

All of the different branded Android 4.0+ stuff that is hitting the streets appears to be the same thing on the surface. I don't know, maybe the Enco, Eonon, Szenco units are different, but look the same. Here is my experience with EWAYGPS's EW40.

I bought this because I really want to use an android tablet in my car and still keep the OEM look. I knew it had WinCE as the front end. If I didn't care about the Android side of things, this unit might... maybe,.. be OK. But.. there are a bunch of issues with it. There was hardly any documentation that came with it. What little information that was provided was very broken english.

1. Resistive touch screen is really bad under android. I've had to press so many things over and over again to get it to register. This is extremely dangerous in a car. Don't kill yourself.
2. During the day there are major problems with glare. The screen isn't bright enough during the day and too bright at night with no way to adjust the brightness easily.
3. Depending on the settings in my Radio, I can get a loud popping sound through my speakers when I turn my car on. The sound is due to the android board powering on.
4. I installed this into a BMW E46. I had to sink some time and money into buying parts to make it compatible with the HK system. It was advertised to be plug and play for my specific model. The volume was a huge issue, Volume from 0% to 1% was more like an increase of 10% volume.
5. I needed a right angle antenna adapter for the unit to fit.
6. Android takes way too long to turn on and boot up. This unit is advertised as a GPS Navigation through Android. It's useless as a GPS system on the android side due to a lot of reasons but mainly because android can't stay powered. Stopping at the convenience store makes your trip that much more inconvenient. I had to root and patch the head unit for GPS navigation to work AT ALL!
7. Provided WiFi dongle is very bad and horribly inconsistent. An overall royal PITA.
8. The finish on the hard buttons is rough. It looks cheap. It was made in China though... so yeah.
9. I think maybe the Android side could be decent with a custom ROM. But.. these are too new and the community hasn't figured out how to reverse engineer these yet. Maybe we aren't too far off with this. Right now it's just way too sluggish. Even with the 'fastest' processor spec of all the different models out there. It doesn't seem to matter.
10. Every time I get in the car and turn it on it's a guessing game which input/source the head unit will pick. For some reason mine likes to pick the empty DVD player AND put it in a PIP window that I have to close out of every single time. Very annoying.
11. No multi-touch support because it uses a cheap resistive touch screen.
12. Bluetooth is not an option on the android side. It is not enabled nor compiled into the kernel from what I can tell. I've tried over 15 different bluetooth adapters with no success.
13. No microphone on the android side. The advertising says.. Google Now Voice... whatever that is supposed to mean. But... Google and any voice related stuff are on two different sides of this head unit so why are they in the same sentence?
14. Google play store isn't the same. Because it's such a turd of a head unit, many apps say they won't run on it and don't show up on the Play store. I had to get all my APK files and install my apps manually in order to get them to run at all.

Give me enough time and I could come up with more issues that far outweigh any of the positive things I could say about this thing. The moral of the story... these things are junk. Buyer beware. Either buy a pure WinCE head unit and be happy with it being mostly functional, or wait for pure android head units to come out. At least then hopefully it won't be a hodge podge of crap thrown together like this WinCE/Android debacle is.

I probably won't be able to return this piece of sh*t so it will likely be stripped down and used for parts. The form factor looks decent, maybe I can stick a new 7" android tablet in there somehow. Maybe these head units would be more well received and rapidly developed by the DIY community if the tools these manufacturers use were made available. If anyone needs information about the internals of this unit please let me know. I'll be taking it all apart and documenting it as much as I can. Maybe something will come of it. Maybe not.

Last edited by MattBimmerz; 04-10-2013 at 02:03 AM.
MattBimmerz is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 04-09-2013, 10:59 PM   #2
jeffb325@NavigationSolutions
J&T Distributing

My Ride: BMW
Posting on multiple forums I see......

While I did enjoy your rant I would ask that you remove Dynavin from that list since it is a completely different product from a completely different company, sold and supported by a lot of competent and decent dealers (of which I am one). I really don't appreciate you lumping them all together based on your bad experience with your one crappy knock off unit. FYI, I don't think the android dynavins are perfect but at least they work. Your rant is basically what ive been saying about the other units for a while, their "better" specs mean nothing if the thing doesnt work! I have thousands of happy customers and hundreds of pages on these forums that say you should not be including us in your rant.

sorry you got screwed but your story is why I'm in business....to give you guys a decent product and good support, I've tried to warn people before that these "clones" are not clones at all, but I usually get bad mouthed for it, oh well, Ive tried....., buyer beware.

LATEST DYNAVIN INFO: http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=1044105
DYNAVIN FAQ:http://www.jandtdistributing.com/pages/faq-links
///AVIN INFO: http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=1015704
TO BUY http://jandtdistributing.com

Last edited by jeffb325@NavigationSolutions; 04-10-2013 at 04:51 PM.
jeffb325@NavigationSolutions is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 04:51 PM   #3
haurelio

My Ride: 2001 bmw 325i
you are just describing all the things that are already well known and documented with those android units, with the exception of the touch screen. what made you think this unit will be different?
I do not have any complains with my wince unit (only the random boot, which can be fix by a new can bus). Screen is very responsive, gps is always on, bluetooth is great, and sound is just like OEM.

Also can code your car

Last edited by haurelio; 04-10-2013 at 07:33 PM.
haurelio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 11:31 PM   #4
MattBimmerz

My Ride: 2002 BMW 330CI E46
Most of all the forum posts involve different units that are either older and slower or by different named manufacturers. This is simply stating that EwayGPS EW40 is no different. All the forum threads involving similar units are also very, very long going into the hundreds of pages. I read as much as I could. There were a few that said they had good luck and so I was willing to give it a shot. I actually really want to like this unit but uggh, no.

Today the NAVI button stopped working and wouldn't allow me to switch between the WinCE and Android side. I rebooted it half a dozen times with no change. I had to hit the reset button on the front of the unit to get it to function again. After that my Canbus controls were wacky but the NAVI button worked! I thought I would factory reset the android side as well and it seems to have sped it up a bit and the touch screen responds a little better. I have a Samsung Galaxy S3 as my phone which has comparable specs. Apparently on this head unit running Torque widgets, Pandora, and Waze is just too much going at once and may cause the touch screen controls to be very sluggish. It seems to be better but this android really needs to be optimized or something. On my phone I can load up WAY more apps without any detriment in performance.
MattBimmerz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 10:30 AM   #5
bcw448

My Ride: 2000 BMW 323ci coupe
Hi MattBimmerz, I understand that you don't recommend this machine since it's Android side still need polishing. But may I ask does this EW40 run WINCE maps like IGO Primo or it just run android IGO? Incase the Android side is not stable, I can still use the WINCE, right?

A friend of mine got a WINCE only hand unit and it is running quite stable and well.

I have been looking for this type of hand unit for a while(almost a year, so itchy...) and still have not pull the trigger because of all the negative comments on the web.

And per the EwayGPS manufacturer site, they might have a new model EW50 coming out soon with capacitive touch screen. If this is true it will improve the experience on the Android side a lot.

I am still debating on should I just get a WINCE only unit or a Android + WINCE unit.

Any input will be appreciated!!

Last edited by bcw448; 05-16-2013 at 05:31 PM.
bcw448 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 02:23 PM   #6
haurelio

My Ride: 2001 bmw 325i
why risk over 400 dollard for a unit that has that many bugs, just stick with what works, in this case a wince unit.. Mine is almost 1 1/2 years and not a single problem...

Also can code your car
haurelio is offline   Reply With Quote