E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > BMW Regional Forums > Regional Forums > California

California
Have you seen another BMW while driving around in your area? Maybe you can find their car in the E46Fanatics Garage!
Northern California Southern California

If you don't have your garage setup, sign up today HERE

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 05-08-2012, 06:14 PM   #1
mystert

My Ride: 2003 330Ci
BEWARE! Coast Motor Werks

So I put the Koni FSD and Eiback Prokit in my 330ci this weekend. I took it over to highly recommended Coast Motor Werks to get it aligned. First off, they quoted me $175 dollars 2 months ago when I had my brake fluid flushed. Now its $200. After putting the car on the adjustment machine, he says its going to cost 175$ + and additional fee because its lowered, for a total of $400+ for a 4 wheel alignment. In addition, he says that my rear differential mount is broken and effecting my alignment. Thats going to cost another $500+. So after tax they want approximately $1000 for a 4 wheel alignment. Im sorry but thats ridiculous. Im pretty sure the rear differential bushing doesnt effect alignment. He wasnt too happy either that I told him I would just change it out myself.

So all in all, hes charging me $50 for giving me a ridiculous estimate, WTF, stay away from these guys

MysterT Huntington Beach, CA
mystert is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 05-08-2012, 07:20 PM   #2
Steven747

My Ride: 05 330ci
my dad took his 1989 mercedes there for a while prob like 10 years. and they did a great job with it and its still running at 299,000 miles.. they aren't cheap and i could see this happening but still they took care of my dads car but i would never have a reason to take my car there.
Old 05-08-2012, 09:28 PM   #3
TheCarLessDriven

My Ride: 330
400 for a wheel alignment? lmao!

"SGC > than your general chat"
TheCarLessDriven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 09:32 PM   #4
king kong

My Ride: mid-engine
been there a few times when I was in a bind and though they were pricy, they always fit me in the schedule and did a good job.
king kong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 11:51 PM   #5
choleaoum
Ceiling missing!

My Ride: BMW 330Ci
Send a message via AIM to choleaoum
haha ****, thats steep. i paid 50 bucks for my alignment. differential bushing shouldn't affect alignment at all.
choleaoum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 12:44 AM   #6
w0w

My Ride: '02 M3 Vert
diff bushing affecting alignment? you gotta be kidding me
Old 05-09-2012, 08:19 AM   #7
mystert

Exactly what I was thinking!

Old 05-09-2012, 10:10 AM   #8
choleaoum
Ceiling missing!

maybe he misunderstood? i would like to hear there side of the story haha.
Old 05-09-2012, 10:40 AM   #9
mystert

There side of the story is that when i had them change the brake fluid out 2 months ago,(because I broke my wrist and couldnt do it myself) I asked him to take a quick glance at the suspension and let me know if he saw any major issues. He gave me a list the issues and a quote for $$$$. My wrist healed and I fixed the problems, took it back for an alignment, and hes probably disapointed I fixed it myself instead of paying him thousands of dollars to do it for me. Not good business practices in my book. If he wanted to charge me for the suspension inspection at the time, I would have paid him for it. He took me for a sucker and thought $$$$, his loss, i would have gone back again for the work I dont have time to do myself, their loss.

Last edited by mystert; 05-09-2012 at 10:48 AM.
Old 05-14-2012, 11:42 PM   #10
CoastRon

My Ride: 1988 M3, 1998 528i,
Coast Motor Werks side of the story.

Eric, Iím sorry that you feel the way you do. You were correctly advised to seek out my shop for the work you needed done. You came to one of the best shops in Southern California for BMW work. Your problem is/was that you are/were unhappy with what it will cost to have the required work performed. I hope that you find someone that will help you at a price you want to pay; and I hope that you are satisfied and happy with the work once you are back on the street.

You have not been honest and have been misleading with the readers regarding our business dealing. Originally you were quoted $175.00 for a 4-wheel alignment. Three months expired between the time the quote was prepared and your coming to the shop for the work to be done. In that time the alignment equipment had been upgraded at a significant cost and additional training of employees was accomplished so the price went up $20.00 to $195.00. You also failed to tell the readers that I agreed to align the wheels on your vehicle for the original quote,$175.00. You also failed to tell the readers that you had made significant modifications to your car in the period between my providing you a quote and your appearing to have the work performed. The modifications, lowering the vehicle and installing a strut tower brace, increases the work that must be done to properly align all four wheels of the vehicle. For the price you paid, your car was road tested, put on the alignment system, alignment heads and weights were installed, the suspension was inspected, caster, camber and toe measurements were taken and you were provided a printout of the measurements and an estimate for the work that was required to properly perform a 4-wheel alignment. You were charged $50.00, not $175.00 or $195.00, for a very thorough technical inspection of your vehicle because you did not want the alignment. Anyone coming to my shop today for a 4-wheel alignment on a stock BMW would be charged $195.00. Anyone coming to my shop today for a 4-wheel alignment on a BMW modified as yours has been would be charged according to the work required to overcome the conditions brought by the modifications.

Your willingness to do the repairs yourself does not upset me in the least. I have no doubt you have the skill and the willingness to repair your BMW yourself. In fact, I was doing the same thing before becoming a mechanic and later a business owner. But it also has no bearing on what I charge.

The last item I need to clarify is the rear differential mountsí effect on the alignment. Under normal conditions on a stock vehicle the dif mount has very little affect on the rear alignment. On vehicles with lowered springs, it will cause problems. The axles are normally level when a stock vehicle is driving. On vehicles that are lowered, the axles are pointing up the amount of the lowering ( ĺ of an inch in your case) when driving. With the diff mount in bad shape, the diff is down in the back as much as 1 inch. Besides causing pinion angles issues that cause the rear of the vehicle to improperly squat, it causes the rear wheels to camber in and wear the rear tires due to the axles not telegraphing. This is why I recommended it being done before aligning your car.

I know most of the people reading this are not my customers, but if there is one thing I feel strongly about, itís misinformation, especially when it relates to my business. And I hope this clarifies things.

Ron Inchausti
Owner
Coast Motor Werk of HB
CoastRon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 04:22 PM   #11
joey2cool

My Ride: 2001 BMW 330i Sedan
I don't think that he has ever had alignment problems before otherwise he wouldn't be crying about the price. For what its worth if you are going to be dishonest about what they had quoted you in my opinion you deserve to really get ripped off go and spread your lies to another forum that doesn't care preferably a Honda forum.

I had work done at their shop and they were outstanding.
joey2cool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 11:38 PM   #12
CoastRon

My Ride: 1988 M3, 1998 528i,
I forgot to mention: per his request, we were also going to lower the rear trailing arms and verify his work. That was also part of the repairs/adjustments estimate.

Ron Inchausti
Coast Motor Werk
CoastRon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 04:15 AM   #13
choleaoum
Ceiling missing!

Ouch, there are always two sides to a story haha.
Old 05-18-2012, 08:47 AM   #14
perucho330i

My Ride: 02 330I
Cholea what are you doing up at 2am brotha lol....and dang....for what its worth $200 bucks is still high...but maybe its because I am budget man lol I had my alignment done and my car feels worse lol
Old 05-18-2012, 12:14 PM   #15
AMCINK

My Ride: 2000 323CI
Sounds like Coast Motor Werk are a rip off. We have few of those here in Northern California full of snake oil sales practices. Bait and switch baby!!!!! Long live the DIYers

Last edited by AMCINK; 05-18-2012 at 02:04 PM.
AMCINK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 01:21 PM   #16
mystert

Just for the record, the strut bar has been on the car for about 4 years now and it was on when the estimate was given. If I remember correctly, M3's have factory strut bars. Guess they would have to charge more than advertised price to align an M3 then?

I called the local dealer for an estimate before finally having another local indy shop align the car, and they both stated that their standard advertised alignment price covered all adjustments needed to align the 4 wheels of the car, even with 3/4" lowering springs . Two hours after dropping my car at the other local indy shop, I got a call, cars ready to go. They said they had no issues and the car was ready for pick up.

About the differential mount being worn, Yes under acceleration it will effect pinion angle and that will cause the car to squat, causing the rear tires to camber in, eventually causing more wear on the rear tires. With that said, it still doesnt effect the static/stationary wheel alignment of the car. On the phone, I was told that the 4wheel alignment could not be done unless that was done as well.

I went in a happy previous customer with a quote for $175 to align the car. I understand that things happen and sometimes it costs more to do a repair, but DOUBLING the price because of 3/4" lowering springs and a strut bar that was installed when quoted (and stock equipment on other BMW's) is out of line.

Like said in the previous post- Standard Bait and Switch

Old 05-19-2012, 03:40 PM   #17
E40SICK

My Ride: 2001 330ci
there is a local shop here who does lifetimes...
Old 07-17-2014, 03:13 PM   #18
vagcave

My Ride: car
I am not a yelper, so i will bump this.

i recently stopped by, as my usual mechanic is too busy to deal with small stuff and i cant wait.

TERRIBLE attitude here, i could believe it. My car looks stock, so i know i was not pulling up with a gawdy car or "image"

but i could not believe their lack of customer service, i quickly left and will never return. IRVINE location fyi

Last edited by vagcave; 07-17-2014 at 03:14 PM.
vagcave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2014, 03:38 PM   #19
cd330
ModZombie Moderator

My Ride: manual stl gry 330i
Quote:
Originally Posted by vagcave View Post
I am not a yelper, so i will bump this.

i recently stopped by, as my usual mechanic is too busy to deal with small stuff and i cant wait.

TERRIBLE attitude here, i could believe it. My car looks stock, so i know i was not pulling up with a gawdy car or "image"

but i could not believe their lack of customer service, i quickly left and will never return. IRVINE location fyi
I live right by the Irvine location..... what was lacking at this location?
Old 07-17-2014, 03:49 PM   #20
vagcave

My Ride: car
very bad attitude and very unwelcoming. They made it seem like they were doing me a favor by quoting me
I never actually got any work done, so that can not be reviewed.

i usually deal with Michelangelo Motorwerks from my 2002 roundie days and he has even lent me tools to bring home with me without a deposit.
so i think this was just a rude awakening and not somewhere i will support.
vagcave is offline   Reply With Quote