E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > Health & Fitness

Health & Fitness
Discuss any topics related to heath and fitness here.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-10-2013, 05:47 PM   #1
dabears

My Ride: 2003 BMW M3
Protein Requirements

So I've been eating incredibly healthy on my cut, I'm talking spinach/kale/cucumber/broccoli/bit of goat cheese salads & couple tbsp of vinagreitte with a couple chicken breasts for lunch and then same salad with a steak at night kind of healthy.

Essentially primal/paleo whatever you want to call it.

And I've been tracking calories diligently... even with these very natural meals, I'm having a hard time getting my required protein intake (minimum of 1g per lb of bodyweight). I get 1550 on rest days, 2000 on training days.

I've only been managing 130-140g's.

So I was thinking of my options... I could throw in casein, (don't want whey since I only believe in it for PWO) but that wouldn't be very natural. I could eat just chicken and rice, but I don't believe in that either.

So I started poking around and found this awesome article, which slightly contradicts a lot of people I consider reputable (including berkhan z00 since you think I'm in love with him lol)

http://mennohenselmans.com/the-myth-...-bodybuilders/

Cliffs:

This article in 6 words: Consume 0.82g/lb of protein every day.

So I read through it, it cites legitimate studies and reasons for why anything past 0.82lb is overkill.

Then I multiply my weight by protein intake... voila. 140g. Exactly what I've been achieving eating the best I can without being ridiculous and just focusing on protein and/or supplements.

Based on my own empirical evidence + scientific evidence presented, once again dogma I've repeated myself (just look at guide) I no longer believe in.

Frustrating world this health & fitness is.

I know pretty much all of you could give less of a fk about nutrition but maybe protein is interesting enough to learn about

btw if you are on a bulk, having the extra 1000-1500 calorie swing makes getting in 200-300g of protein in a day effortless, and useful since it is the most important macro. I was doing it no problem. I was just confused when I was eating as healthy as physically possible and still struggling to hit my supposed protein target with a much more tight calorie restriction.
Old 04-10-2013, 05:57 PM   #2
Born Again

Location: Tis quite a statement. Where do you live - where do we all live? in our minds? our souls? our bodies?
My Ride: She aint much 330ci
Is than .82 /lb of lean body weight?

best mod to date : OEM grocery bag holder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zell View Post
E46Fanatics - the Honda community of gun owners. Keep staying classy, I'm sure you all are going to be excellent examples of how to keep gun rights from being infringed. :facepalm:
Born Again is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 06:43 PM   #3
dabears

For people 20% bodyfat or less, I would do total body weight as there is plenty of positives from increased protein intake that is beyond the scope of the article (satiety, less consumption of crap etc, not having accurate LBM # etc)

But relatively speaking, lean body mass is what you'd want to go by... Obviously a morbidly obese man does not require 450g of protein when a pro bodybuilder requires only 225 lol.
Old 04-10-2013, 07:06 PM   #4
sweetbro858

My Ride: BMW
Hey mayne haven't read that article yet so not sure if this is the same one, but it's prob along the same lines http://www.reddit.com/r/leangains/co...protein_on_if/

Being over 200lbs and trying to eat 1600-1700 cals took me a while to master the 1g per 1lb

I discovered I couldn't eat the fatty cuts because I wouldn't be able to hit macros

Staples for me in the mast month have been:

Either 14oz chick breast or tilapia for first meal with veggies

For my second meal I would eat 16oz of 93/7 beef with 1oz cheese, or 8oz beef with big serving of bacon and eggs.

3 cups of skim milk helped hit the carbs and protein numbers, as well as

Last edited by sweetbro858; 04-10-2013 at 07:08 PM.
sweetbro858 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 07:13 PM   #5
Green_Shine

My Ride: Back seat riding
After all the math, the real question is are you making gains?
Old 04-10-2013, 07:17 PM   #6
sweetbro858

lean gains
Old 04-10-2013, 07:41 PM   #7
dabears

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green_Shine View Post
After all the math, the real question is are you making gains?
every week, including on my cut
Old 04-10-2013, 07:42 PM   #8
DylloS

My Ride: nothing
I'm sure we probably over do it. I'm sure many days I get too little but I'm still making progress. Maybe it could be more if I had more I don't know. I don't know where this 1-1.5g even came from.
DylloS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 07:43 PM   #9
z00

My Ride: E46 M3 Manual
If you did not have a gf I would have my doubts. lol

I get around 200g of protein, all natural. My pancakes with 2 eggs, 10 egg whites, flaxseed, chia seed, and almond powder easily provide 100g of protein and 962 calories.

Another good one for protein is lean turkey burger with spinach and egg whites. Had .5lb burger last night and it tasted so good.

This is good info to know. I take only protein powder pre/post workout and on days when I did not have time to cook.
z00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 07:45 PM   #10
z00

Yes, it's more about how your intake was over a period of time, like a week. A single day won't make much of a noticeable difference.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DylloS View Post
I'm sure we probably over do it. I'm sure many days I get too little but I'm still making progress. Maybe it could be more if I had more I don't know. I don't know where this 1-1.5g even came from.
Old 04-10-2013, 07:52 PM   #11
dabears

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetbro858 View Post
Hey mayne haven't read that article yet so not sure if this is the same one, but it's prob along the same lines http://www.reddit.com/r/leangains/co...protein_on_if/

Being over 200lbs and trying to eat 1600-1700 cals took me a while to master the 1g per 1lb

I discovered I couldn't eat the fatty cuts because I wouldn't be able to hit macros

Staples for me in the mast month have been:

Either 14oz chick breast or tilapia for first meal with veggies

For my second meal I would eat 16oz of 93/7 beef with 1oz cheese, or 8oz beef with big serving of bacon and eggs.

3 cups of skim milk helped hit the carbs and protein numbers, as well as
yeah I remember discussing that with you...

I honestly thought that eating a solid chunk of chicken or tuna plus a fatty cut of meat a day in two meals would be plenty. But its not... and I feel thats a natural way of eating. I shouldn't have to slam down 800g of chicken breast or tuna (about 5 breasts) every single day to meet my goals, just doesn't make sense to me. And is also $$$. And beef is naturally fatty, and a staple in my diet, along with lots of other protein sources. My macros on my cut have been ~ 50f/30p/20c, I stopped cycling fat and carbs since bimmerchop brought up some legit points, and I have yet been able to find anything that backs up this method so I threw it out the window.

Essentially my food beliefs kind of screw me in a way when it comes to typical bodybuilding diet (low fat protein sources), and this article further confirmed that you can still get the bodies requirements eating the way (i feel) nature intended. I continue to be my own guinea pig...
Old 04-10-2013, 07:57 PM   #12
dabears

Quote:
Originally Posted by z00 View Post
If you did not have a gf I would have my doubts. lol

I get around 200g of protein, all natural. My pancakes with 2 eggs, 10 egg whites, flaxseed, chia seed, and almond powder easily provide 100g of protein and 962 calories.

Another good one for protein is lean turkey burger with spinach and egg whites. Had .5lb burger last night and it tasted so good.

This is good info to know. I take only protein powder pre/post workout and on days when I did not have time to cook.
You are bulking though right? When I was eating 2500-3000 calories, getting over 200 was a breeze, even with natural food. Some days I was over 300... it was ridiculous. That was more like 3500 calories though.

Not to call you out, but im curious why you think those pancakes have 100g of protein? The eggs + whites is only 43g, and I know we've joked about the chia seeds but I don't see them + the almond flour making up the other 57g unless you are using like 2 cups of almond flour etc. I'm sure I'm just missing information
Old 04-10-2013, 08:18 PM   #13
z00

Yes, I'm bulking.

Lets do the math:

3 tbs of fat free Greek yogurt. 10g
10 egg whites, 50g
2 large eggs, 12g
33g flaxseed 8g
33g almond 7g
1tbs chia seed 3g
.3lb carrots 3g

Am I missing something? I did not mention the yogurt before which would bring it to about 90g without it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dabears View Post
You are bulking though right? When I was eating 2500-3000 calories, getting over 200 was a breeze, even with natural food. Some days I was over 300... it was ridiculous. That was more like 3500 calories though.

Not to call you out, but im curious why you think those pancakes have 100g of protein? The eggs + whites is only 43g, and I know we've joked about the chia seeds but I don't see them + the almond flour making up the other 57g unless you are using like 2 cups of almond flour etc. I'm sure I'm just missing information
Old 04-10-2013, 08:22 PM   #14
sweetbro858

Old 04-10-2013, 08:24 PM   #15
dabears

Quote:
Originally Posted by z00 View Post
Yes, I'm bulking.

Lets do the math:

3 tbs of fat free Greek yogurt. 10g
10 egg whites, 50g
2 large eggs, 12g
33g flaxseed 8g
33g almond 7g
1tbs chia seed 3g
.3lb carrots 3g

Am I missing something? I did not mention the yogurt before which would bring it to about 90g without it.
Its a healthy meal regardless, but personally I count egg whites as 3.6g of protein per (36g for your egg whites) and the greek yogurt was missing so that helps. I wouldn't bother counting the "protein" in the rest of the ingredients, considering the body won't make use of it like it does with the egg whites. (Incomplete BCAA profile)

But considering you are well above your protein requirements, who cares, its calories to be used for muscle building. Splitting hairs.

If I could find almond powder/meal (believe me I've tried) I would attempt to make these one weekend, as I am assuming that is a key ingredient in keeping them together.
Old 04-10-2013, 08:26 PM   #16
dabears

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetbro858 View Post

I still consider what I'm doing "leangains" bra, don't worry

(I think andy from rippedbody was more obsessed with macro cycling than martin anyways)
Old 04-10-2013, 08:28 PM   #17
sweetbro858

Ha I was jk.

Mah feels tho
Old 04-10-2013, 08:31 PM   #18
z00

I went with info from nutrition label on package.

If you cannot find almond powder in store you can order it online. If you don't wanna do that, you can use ground flax seed, which should be available in your store. I replace wheat flour with flaxseed or almond powder in all of my meals, and they still taste pretty good. I have pancakes almost daily. Cannot beat this meal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dabears View Post
Its a healthy meal regardless, but personally I count egg whites as 3.6g of protein per (36g for your egg whites) and the greek yogurt was missing so that helps. I wouldn't bother counting the "protein" in the rest of the ingredients, considering the body won't make use of it like it does with the egg whites. (Incomplete BCAA profile)

But considering you are well above your protein requirements, who cares, its calories to be used for muscle building. Splitting hairs.

If I could find almond powder/meal (believe me I've tried) I would attempt to make these one weekend, as I am assuming that is a key ingredient in keeping them together.
Old 04-10-2013, 08:36 PM   #19
sweetbro858

Old 04-11-2013, 08:10 AM   #20
Mike Larry

My Ride: 575 nello
the internet is so weird