E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > ///M3 Forum

///M3 Forum
The BMW E46 ///M3 is the M version E46 and puts out an amazing 333 HP and 262 lb-ft of torque at stock specs! There are an amazing amount of modifications for both the coupe and convertible models so read up and get started modifying your cars today!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-10-2013, 11:29 PM   #1
Crehzy

My Ride: All cars sold
What type of E46 do i want?

First off, for some background, I am a responsible 17 year old driver with direct family who are mechanics at BMW. I was looking to purchase a new E46 but i dont know if i should get a 330ci or an M3(Sounds very spoiled I'm aware but I raised the money through a part time job on my own). I'm not looking for the speed as much as i am looking for the nice body style the M3 has to offer. The fenders and bumpers are really nice and if i just bought those and put it on a 330, at the end of the day i would only have a 330 and never get that money back. Besides i wouldn't want to disguise my car as something it is not. I am aware however that the M3 is a very fast car and might be too much car for me. I feel like i am a responsible 17 year old and i can handle the car but then again which 17 year old DOESN't think they are that super great driver that can handle any car not knowing how powerful it truly is. Should i forward some more money for the M3? Is it too fast of a car for a 17 year old driver and should i just stick to the 330ci? Let me know what you think. Thanks!
Crehzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 04-10-2013, 11:46 PM   #2
Ecko

My Ride: 2003 M3
I felt the same way as you when I was 17 and I shiver thinking about what could have happened (probably would have) if I had a 340BHP M3. Thankfully my Dad refused to let me get one even though it was a possibility.
I'm about to step into one now at the age of 21; 6 years driving experience, multiple track days, driver training etc.

I learnt in a 318i and progressed to a 530i. Even in the larger 5 series (E39) chassis, there is still a lot of power that WILL comfortably take you to 200KM/H

Get a 330i, dress it up nicely, but don't put quads on the back and an M3 badge

Before I settled on the M3, I was thinking about a 507BHP E60 M5 but declined. Way to much car for me and I know I'd be a muppet if I had that much power at my disposal. Don't be too proud!

My 2c.
Ecko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 12:19 AM   #3
Chea

My Ride: 05 ///M
What about a zhp?
Old 04-11-2013, 08:02 AM   #4
03BIMMERM3

My Ride: 2003 BMW M3
I personally wouldn't get the M3 yet, wait about 5 years lol unless you have a killer job and making bank, this car can become quite expensive to maintain..but if your willing to take the risk, by all means go for it, just know what u might be getting into I just bought my M3 at the age of 22, the car has increased my expenses a good bit but I have a good job so I'm not too worried bout it..think bout it.. just my 2 cents

Sent from my myTouch_4G_Slide using Bimmer App
03BIMMERM3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 08:06 AM   #5
sn1tzr

My Ride: 328ci AC Schnitzer
330 for sure getting parts for an m3 could be costly. Buying a car - the upfront cost is just the start.

When i was 17 i only had a 325

#firstworldproblems
sn1tzr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 08:37 AM   #6
choxor

My Ride: JDM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crehzy View Post
First off, for some background, I am a responsible 17 year old driver with direct family who are mechanics at BMW. I was looking to purchase a new E46 but i dont know if i should get a 330ci or an M3(Sounds very spoiled I'm aware but I raised the money through a part time job on my own). I'm not looking for the speed as much as i am looking for the nice body style the M3 has to offer. The fenders and bumpers are really nice and if i just bought those and put it on a 330, at the end of the day i would only have a 330 and never get that money back. Besides i wouldn't want to disguise my car as something it is not. I am aware however that the M3 is a very fast car and might be too much car for me. I feel like i am a responsible 17 year old and i can handle the car but then again which 17 year old DOESN't think they are that super great driver that can handle any car not knowing how powerful it truly is. Should i forward some more money for the M3? Is it too fast of a car for a 17 year old driver and should i just stick to the 330ci? Let me know what you think. Thanks!
The most dangerous 17-year-old is the one is the one who thinks he can "handle it."

The cost of ownership for an M3 goes WAY beyond the sticker price. Not to mention insurance and gas are going to be way worse. Cost of ownership is going to extend far beyond the earnings of a kid with a part time job.

Get a 330ci so you can actually enjoy the car.

Last edited by choxor; 04-11-2013 at 08:37 AM.
choxor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 08:37 AM   #7
redbull 325is

My Ride: 325xit/6
Send a message via AIM to redbull 325is
I dunno which will look better in a ditch *shrug*
Old 04-11-2013, 09:18 AM   #8
evilpinkeye

My Ride: E46 M3
I just picked up an M and at the age of 30 and a systems engineer earning on the low-end, this sucker gets expensive quick!

Everything is just way more expensive when it comes to the usual things that have to get done such as oil changes and that's if nothing goes wrong with the car.

And like choxor said, nothing is more dangerous than someone says "he can 'handle it."
This car just wants to go fast. Love it but my only regret is how expensive it is to drive, but then I just stomp on the gas forgetting shortly after what I was talking about lol-
evilpinkeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 09:58 AM   #9
MMH2009

My Ride: 2002 m3 convertible
Buy the M3

Last edited by MMH2009; 04-11-2013 at 10:02 AM.
MMH2009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 10:02 AM   #10
MMH2009

My Ride: 2002 m3 convertible
Hey when I was 17 years old I was driving my dad's corvette, and never had an issue cuz I knew that if I f&cked up I would never drive it again. With that said, I know each kid is different but if you are responsible, humble and appreciate what you're about to get into buy the M3. Just have fun and be responsible and use common sense and don't listen to your idiot friends.
MMH2009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 10:25 AM   #11
Hockeyguy02

My Ride: E46 m3
I've learned some good lessons with my m3. Leave the speeding for the track. It's not worth it. And doing burnouts, yes they can impound your car for that. Ask me how I know.

CarbonBlackCinnamon
30% Tint/Black Grilles And Gills/CF Wrapped Trim/MeganRacingExhaust/DepoSmokedCorners
Hockeyguy02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 10:28 AM   #12
BringsMeWomen

My Ride: 2001 330ci
I got my 330ci when i was 17 and am 18 right now and love it!
BringsMeWomen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 10:52 AM   #13
helmutm3

My Ride: 04 m3
Please do not buy an 330 and put m3 bumpers on it. That being said, if you can afford an m3 , then get one. (There are many young kids with money contrary to what many of us think, how they came about having it is none of our business). You could crash anything if you are careless no matter how old you are. The OP seems more reasonable then many adults, or he is putting on a good front at least.
Old 04-11-2013, 11:00 AM   #14
helmutm3

My Ride: 04 m3
Also, I had a e36 m3 when I was 19. Living at home and eating for free sure makes it way more affordable. I did a lot of stupid things in it but never crashed it. Before that I had a Ford Probe GT and crashed it twice, kind of bad. So one could say that the Ford was easier to crash or that by the time I was done with it I got more experience and sense in my head to prevent me from crashing the Bmw.
Old 04-11-2013, 11:00 AM   #15
M3HER310

My Ride: 2003 BMW M3
Zhp
M3HER310 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 08:02 PM   #16
tinman831

My Ride: M3
Putting responsibility issues aside (since we don't know you well), the cost of ownership of an M3 is prohibitive for a person who has only a part time job and is still in highschool.
tinman831 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 08:35 PM   #17
rcsummers

My Ride: M3
330 zhp. id stay away from a M untill your 21ish. I did the same, and i kind of appreciate the power of an M more. Sadly it might be a somewhat inexpensive car, but its still too much power for a first car, IMHO.
Old 04-12-2013, 01:18 AM   #18
KR///m3

My Ride: 01 e46 m3
Get the m3 bro so much sicker and honestly you get used to the hp after about 2 weeks.. Mine feels slow to me now after having it a year
KR///m3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 03:48 AM   #19
Ecko

My Ride: 2003 M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by KR///m3 View Post
Get the m3 bro so much sicker and honestly you get used to the hp after about 2 weeks.. Mine feels slow to me now after having it a year
I can't think of anything worse than a 17 year old thinking that.
Ecko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 03:53 AM   #20
Chewy

My Ride: '03 LSB M3 Vert SMG
If you are reasonable and don't plan on doing anything stupid, then get the m3. But you will be tempted to give it a go so maybe go fir something less. At the end of the day, you won't be happy unless it's ///M