E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > E46 Xi Forum

E46 Xi Forum
The E46 XI was produced from 01-05 in sedan and touring body styles. Powered by either a 2.5L inline 6 in the 325xi or a 3.0L inline 6 330xi. Discuss all thing about BMW AWD E46 'Xi' here.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 04-12-2013, 04:22 PM   #1
Lou3viLL3sLuGGa

My Ride: BMW 325 xi
Hit a deer insurance ?'s

I hit a deer , insurance is paying for a new hood, front fender, headlight and some other misc parts. My question is with saving money on the hood and a few others what things should I get? Anyone think that it's a good time to add projector headlights (OEM is 500 and depo is 550 at khoalty) and are they set to work well on a 02 325xi sedan 4dr? Also would the mtech ii bumper be a good look/fit? Khoalty, mod bargains or umnitza? Others?...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByBimmerApp1365801715.371833.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	82.7 KB
ID:	500123   Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByBimmerApp1365801727.272041.jpg
Views:	128
Size:	81.1 KB
ID:	500124   Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByBimmerApp1365801737.837874.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	75.9 KB
ID:	500125   Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByBimmerApp1365801748.288745.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	89.8 KB
ID:	500126  

Name:	ImageUploadedByBimmerApp1365801758.188527.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	87.1 KB
ID:	500127  
Lou3viLL3sLuGGa is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 04-12-2013, 05:07 PM   #2
basketthis

My Ride: state to state
Umnitza and khoality both have horrible reviews in the rating section of this forum. I wouldn't go through either. Take it to a local body shop. Get a quote to replace the parts with something similar to what you already have. Go through insurance. That's my suggestion.
Whether you choose to go through insurance or not, definitely do not go through either of those companies!
I'll try to update with a link to the section with reviews for you. I'm mobile right now so it may or may not work...

EDIT: It's titled "buyer/seller feedback" in the classifieds section. Take a good, long read in there before you make any purchase!

Last edited by basketthis; 04-12-2013 at 05:09 PM.
basketthis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 05:09 PM   #3
Lou3viLL3sLuGGa

Quote:
Originally Posted by basketthis View Post
Umnitza and khoality both have horrible reviews in the rating section of this forum. I wouldn't go through either. Take it to a local body shop. Get a quote to replace the parts with something similar to what you already have. Go through insurance. That's my suggestion.
Whether you choose to go through insurance or not, definitely do not go through either of those companies!
I'll try to update with a link to the section with reviews for you. I'm mobile right now so it may or may not work...
I went through insurance and will take it to a local body shop Monday. Thanks for the help and not flaming for not searching enough I did try and look around..
Old 04-12-2013, 05:15 PM   #4
basketthis

I want to say that I've seen the mtech ii bumper on the xi. Take a look through the f/s section. A lot of for sale and previously sold ones have tasteful upgrades like your. Maybe that will help give you a better idea.

Last edited by basketthis; 04-12-2013 at 05:16 PM.
Old 04-12-2013, 06:38 PM   #5
Caden

My Ride: '01 325i
Is the deer okay?
Old 04-12-2013, 07:18 PM   #6
Fatrusty

My Ride: '04 325i

Name:	Bambi.JPG
Views:	90
Size:	209.7 KB
ID:	500153 Sleeping...
Fatrusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 07:45 PM   #7
Lou3viLL3sLuGGa

Would an OEM mtech ii fit? Where would I buy OEM parts the cheapest?
Old 04-12-2013, 07:53 PM   #8
basketthis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lou3viLL3sLuGGa View Post
Would an OEM mtech ii fit? Where would I buy OEM parts the cheapest?
check rockauto.com for purchase. and you can reference realoem.com for bmw parts... I haven't had to purchase anything like you will need to, so I can't reference much more as far as where to purchase. Please tell me how you're going to get insurance to pay for an mtech bumper. Always good to know things like that.
Old 04-12-2013, 08:27 PM   #9
White_Knuckles

My Ride: 2003 325xi
Oh no, insurance companies are super easy to switch up parts such as trick bumpers substituted as a part of their scope. Not.

Body shops are delighted to fit strange, after-market parts owners drag in 'cause they don't have any mark-up or warranty concerns. They just pass on all additional charges to the insurance writer. Right. Good luck with that. Anything outside of original, as-is, condition will not be covered. Some arrangements may be made with the body shop that perhaps can drift outside the norm but owner provided parts are typically not well received.

Last edited by White_Knuckles; 04-12-2013 at 08:27 PM.
White_Knuckles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 08:28 PM   #10
Lou3viLL3sLuGGa

Quote:
Originally Posted by basketthis View Post
check rockauto.com for purchase. and you can reference realoem.com for bmw parts... I haven't had to purchase anything like you will need to, so I can't reference much more as far as where to purchase. Please tell me how you're going to get insurance to pay for an mtech bumper. Always good to know things like that.
Thanks. They already issued the funds to my bank. The adjuster was here yesterday and today I got 3700 3200 after my deductible. The majority is the hood (1540 plus 125 shipping) and I may not replace that. First ViS isn't stocking OEM or GTR hood for my car until late May so Iay paint the csl bumper and go back to stock hood? Wish I could get an M3 hood on my car but don't think you can on a sedan. They aren't technically paying for the mtech II they just are giving me funds for what I had. But if I don't replace the hood I can get a different bumper for the price of the hood. ViS even offered me wholesale which is around 1050 shipped on the hood when it arrives in late may of I decide to go that route again. I'm just wanting to make the best choices I can with the money. One thing I didn't like about the hood is that it looked a bit too aggressive for my car especially without the mtech bumper, and it allowed condensation in my headlights...
Old 04-12-2013, 08:29 PM   #11
Lou3viLL3sLuGGa

Quote:
Originally Posted by White_Knuckles View Post
Oh no, insurance companies are super easy to switch up parts such as trick bumpers substituted as a part of their scope. Not.

Body shops are delighted to fit strange, after-market parts owners drag in 'cause they don't have any mark-up or warranty concerns. They just pass on all additional charges to the insurance writer. Right. Good luck with that. Anything outside of original, as-is, condition will not be covered. Some arrangements may be made with the body shop that perhaps can drift outside the norm but owner provided parts are typically not well received.
True. I wasn't trying to get them to pay for anything that I didn't have on the car. Just trying to use the money in the best ways..
Old 04-12-2013, 08:31 PM   #12
hizhinezz
Outlier

My Ride: 01 330i
Just fyi having lived in VT for four years the deer's VIN is located just below the left antler (ear flap if its a foal or female) and they're all carried by State Farm Insurance of course.

Sorry couldnt resist lucky you're ok and car took the hit I've seen pickups totaled from hitting large bucks etc.

Good luck with ride!

Edit: holy shite just noticed balloon on deer. "Get well" omg that's frikken hilarious... That you went to the trouble of getting it and taking pic etc, holy god I'm dying...

Last edited by hizhinezz; 04-12-2013 at 08:36 PM.
hizhinezz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 08:36 PM   #13
Lou3viLL3sLuGGa

Quote:
Originally Posted by hizhinezz View Post
Just fyi having lived in VT for four years the deer's VIN is located just below the left antler (ear flap if its a foal or female) and they're all carried by State Farm Insurance of course.

Sorry couldnt resist lucky you're ok and car took the hit I've seen pickups totaled from hitting large bucks etc.

Good luck with ride!
Lol true, and thanks. I was surprised when I stopped and looked, I couldn't believe it wasn't worse. The car (hood) took the hit really well, I thought!
Old 04-12-2013, 09:28 PM   #14
hizhinezz
Outlier

My Ride: 01 330i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lou3viLL3sLuGGa View Post
Lol true, and thanks. I was surprised when I stopped and looked, I couldn't believe it wasn't worse. The car (hood) took the hit really well, I thought!
Yeah I've actually got a VIS cf hood myself and I've just assumed that it would shatter into a million pieces on initial contact... Nice to see it hold up like that upon impact, really took it well. Question is now what to do with left over cf? I'd already have my deemed buzzing making cf this cf that cf everything!!!

Must have been scary as **** though right? My fn heart would stop afraid it was a person...

Last edited by hizhinezz; 04-12-2013 at 09:29 PM.
hizhinezz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 02:44 AM   #15
White_Knuckles

My Ride: 2003 325xi
Basically, to get something outside of the paid quote agreement, there is little room to work. You will always pay out of pocket to get any labor adjustment as the labor rate they charge owners is higher than the rate insurance companies pay. They often won't allow owner supplied parts as, "our policy is, we can't warranty the work". They should say, "we can't mark-up owner supplied parts to increase our profits so we make up policies".

This all depends how reasonable your shop is. In my area, they're all crooks. The room you have to work is where they quoted high dollar factory parts where items you supply are cheaper then what was paid out. Watch out for part substitution tripping a labor increase where it's outside the original scope. An after-market bumper, for example, may require 2-4 additional hrs. as fitment or paint prep may be higher from a factory unit. Discuss before you assume a bumper is a bumper.
Old 04-13-2013, 07:21 AM   #16
Lou3viLL3sLuGGa

Quote:
Originally Posted by White_Knuckles View Post
Basically, to get something outside of the paid quote agreement, there is little room to work. You will always pay out of pocket to get any labor adjustment as the labor rate they charge owners is higher than the rate insurance companies pay. They often won't allow owner supplied parts as, "our policy is, we can't warranty the work". They should say, "we can't mark-up owner supplied parts to increase our profits so we make up policies".

This all depends how reasonable your shop is. In my area, they're all crooks. The room you have to work is where they quoted high dollar factory parts where items you supply are cheaper then what was paid out. Watch out for part substitution tripping a labor increase where it's outside the original scope. An after-market bumper, for example, may require 2-4 additional hrs. as fitment or paint prep may be higher from a factory unit. Discuss before you assume a bumper is a bumper.
That's all good info and true. Thanks. I'm leaning toward painting the csl trunk and having OEM hood put back on. How much should it cost to get that hood buffed out a bit, maybe re-painted? Also would m3 front fenders fit? Look good? Should I just stick with the same fenders and bumper I have? Just wanting a bit more aggressive looking front end, nothing major...
Old 04-18-2013, 09:35 AM   #17
Lou3viLL3sLuGGa

What's some opinions on the hood and trunk options? Should I paint the cf csl trunk black and put the OEM hood back on? Put OEM trunk and hood back on with some needed buff and possibly repainting? Keep the ViS trunk and get a Seibon OEM style cf hood? Wait for ViS to get more OEM or GTR cf hoods in late may to match the ViS trunk? Bottom line does anyone know whether the ViS cf would look diff from the Seibon if I had one of each manufacturer and or do many think keep OEM?
Old 04-18-2013, 10:34 AM   #18
chilone

My Ride: 04 330xi, 97 Miata
Q: What's the difference between Beer nuts and Deer nuts?

A: Beer nuts are $2.95 - Deer nuts are under a buck!
chilone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 10:41 AM   #19
TheColdE46

My Ride: 2003 325i
If your getting the mtech ii id go with umnitza. I know they have bad reviews but it was fine for me. I got it pre painted and they shipped it the same week! Perfect fitment and the color matched perfect aswell! I couldnt be happier with it.

Carbon Fiber CSL Trunk Lid | Mtech II Front Bumper | K&N CAI | JL Audio 10" Sub | Smoked Led Tails | Eonon Head Unit | M Stitched Boots and Armrest | Led Angel Eyes | Carbon Fiber Emblems | 27% Tint All Around
TheColdE46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 10:51 AM   #20
Lou3viLL3sLuGGa

Quote:
Originally Posted by 325iAllday View Post
If your getting the mtech ii id go with umnitza. I know they have bad reviews but it was fine for me. I got it pre painted and they shipped it the same week! Perfect fitment and the color matched perfect aswell! I couldnt be happier with it.
Thanks I did order the m tech ii from umnitza and my body shop is going to paint that along with the new fender when they arrive early next week. Can't decide whether to go with Seibon hood with ViS trunk, or go back to stock