E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > Gun Talk

Gun Talk
Are you a gun fanatic as well? If so, you'll want to talk to other owners about what you own in this forum.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-13-2013, 10:29 PM   #21
JonJon
Tinfoilhatatarian

My Ride: .
Send a message via AIM to JonJon
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW_Matt View Post
It's sad I come into these threads just to see your posts, read and learn.
What's sad is I come in here to see his posts (and see if he posted another pic of himself. )

Quote:
Originally Posted by 'busa View Post
I agree with JonJon.

Last edited by JonJon; 04-13-2013 at 10:29 PM.
JonJon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 09:12 AM   #22
customisbetter

My Ride: 02 325xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reedo302 View Post
Most people who have never been in an actual physical altercation of any significance commonly hesitate. Unless it's something that you've been accustomed to, there will always be a disconnect with processing and acting. If you're familiar with the OODA loop (Observe, Orient, Decide, Act), you obviously immediately observed the incident and recognized that there was a threat, but you did not acknowledge how much of a danger the threat was. You Observed, and then you failed to correctly Orient because it was something you were not familiar with and didn't have previous experience and innoculation to. You had no basis for understanding how serious the threat really was until hindsight, and hindsight is always 20/20. Because you had poor orientation, you Decision was to try and diffuse things and smooth things over, which is likely inline with your personality and how you've traditionally handled situations in the past. Not a bad thing in general, but it was situationally inappropriate. That was your decision, and you acted accordingly.

Then it devolved in the bedroom to a further, more dire circumstance. You observed that he was assaulting her, and from that you developed your orientation to that incident. Because you had prior exposure to him recently, you then had a good basis and understood that he was drunk and aggressive and you understood that there was a serious threat. Your decision to tell him to stop was implemented into action, but here the question lies with why you chose to be vocal instead of taking immediate action. This is up to you, and I'm not going to beat you up over it.
In this instance, your OODA loop started to get better, because you got to OO before you started to have a disconnect.

Then, he attacks you. You observed the attack, and you react by reaching for your knife. You observed a threat, perceived it as a serious threat, decided to grab for your knife to use it, but then decided to not use the knife because he apparently de-escalated.

Basically, your pacifist reaction occurred because you knew of no other reaction. It was based around apprehension, lack of confidence in your own abilities, intimidation of the threat, lack of exposure to this kind of threat and violence, and lack of mindset on how to handle the issue. It's nothing to be ashamed of, but it is most certainly something you need to learn from.

----------------------
As far as what happened, here's an overview of what occurred:

DWI -> Public intoxication -> Disorderly Conduct -> Burglary/B&E -> Criminal Trespass -> Domestic Assault by Strangulation -> Felony Assault by Strangulation -> DWI

That's how I break down the progression of events as they happened.
The instant he started trying to get into the house, someone should have been calling 911. Even if she doesn't want them, she really does. Women many times think they don't, but after we show up, they are usually happy we did by the time we leave.

Perfect! I will take every word to heart.
Old 04-14-2013, 10:45 AM   #23
david05111

My Ride: drei hundert dreißig
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonJon View Post
What's sad is I come in here to see his posts (and see if he posted another pic of himself. )

+1

"You'll Never Walk Alone"

"Psycho Murican" -- beeemerdude of Canada
david05111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 06:54 PM   #24
Reedo302

My Ride: F30 328i M Sport
Sorry, no nudes..

OP- if you want to read about some stuff that may turn on some lightbulbs to the situation, read stuff by Col. Jeff Cooper, Col. David Grossman, and Miyamoto Musashi. There are plenty of things online to read, but the publications all have a lot of information about developing mindset and understanding how to mentally interpret and react to threats and dangers.

When we go to capture or use force against people in LE, our rookies tend to be apprehensive and often times either hesitate to act, or they act inappropriately. Most often, the actions are insufficient and too "mild", and we get the proverbial "tug-of-war" with the suspect's arm and won't do a take-down, or the common "Stop, or I will tell you to stop another 5 times!"
It's not until one of us with experience gets into the mix and starts using real force that often times our rookies will begin to use the appropriate amount of force. Training can only do so much. The stress innoculation you get from a high risk or critical incident cannot be artificially replicated, so there's no way to get people used to experiencing it without actually putting them in the real-life situations.

If it happens with professionals, it only makes sense that it would also happen to others such as yourself.
Food for thought.

Gunfighter Training Development and Evaluation
AR15/AR10 Armorer/Advanced Armorer
Glock Armorer

Gunfighter Training YouTube Channel
Reedo302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 08:38 AM   #25
customisbetter

My Ride: 02 325xi
^Added to my reading list! Thanks a bunch Reedo!