E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-13-2013, 03:43 PM   #1
jorgeownz

My Ride: 2005 325i e46
How do you hook up an amp and a subwoofer

I have a factory unit and all i really want is to add a 10' kicker but i have no idea on how to hook up the amp to make this happen, is it possible to add an amp and a sub woofer to a factory bmw sound system? my car is an 05.
jorgeownz is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 04-13-2013, 04:01 PM   #2
Kris323i

My Ride: 323i
Yes you need a low to high level converter hooked to the factory amp wiring harness. 20 bucks at autozone. I just did this works great go to soundwerks for wiring to factory harness.
Kris323i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 04:47 PM   #3
killj0y

My Ride: 2000 323i
Yup just make sure you grab the signal from a wire before it reaches the stock amp.
killj0y is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 05:33 PM   #4
jorgeownz

My Ride: 2005 325i e46
Where is the stock amp?!?!?!?

and any DIY'S out there for me to check out?

Last edited by jorgeownz; 04-13-2013 at 05:40 PM.
jorgeownz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 08:23 PM   #5
scottjoh

My Ride: '99 323i & '02 540i
The stock amp is the trunk on the left side behind the trunk liner. It's below the CD changer is you have one.
scottjoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 08:31 PM   #6
HiHoBrian
OEM ///Member

My Ride: 05 M3
BSW has a decent install diy. I think it is a PDF. It will tell you what wires are the low level inputs and the amp signal wire.

Edit: click on install info to download the PDF. It is an excellent DIY!

http://www.bavariansoundwerks.com/pr...-Series-Sedan/
Sent from my ATARI sc1224

Last edited by HiHoBrian; 04-13-2013 at 08:35 PM.
HiHoBrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 08:39 PM   #7
Grande D

My Ride: Whiiiite BMW!
With many hoses.
dont listen to these fuQ faces... just go to a junk yard and get a used complete left rear end. i cracked my left rear control arm on the highway because i was driving w/o shocks... lol! ***Was too busy caking on these bitches instead of taking care my car!***
Grande D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 09:25 PM   #8
IrunBimmer

Buy custom amp and custom subs; don't be cheap your a BMW owner act like one. Make the system sound good; not like crap
IrunBimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 01:19 AM   #9
Megalocnus

My Ride: 05 330i ZHP/MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by IrunBimmer View Post
Buy custom amp and custom subs; don't be cheap your a BMW owner act like one. Make the system sound good; not like crap
BMW is cheap on sound systems, lol.
It makes sense though - you either drive the car or you listen to music. Can't do both at the same time.
Megalocnus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 01:50 AM   #10
NumbaOneNewb

My Ride: 2001 bmw 330ci
sure you can do both at the same time.

anyways, to the guy who started the thread. no matter how much you spend on a high low pass, or Line out converter as they're called, you will never do your system justice. it can be a temporary thing but I can guarantee that as soon as you hook that sub up the correct way, with rca outputs, it will sound so much better. not a little bit, but a lot. i actually thought the system sounded good, the bass hitting hard when I used the line out converter. when i installed aftermarket head unit, i finally realized how crappy it was. huge difference. the bass is now cleaner, hits even harder, and is the only way to everntually go.
Portland Metro: ECU updates, Euro tune, euro corner delete, air bag light, DSC light, cluster and any led color change, soldering work, transponders for keys, and all custom work related to computer or electronics.DIY AK90 A walk through on coding your mcu and transponders EWS3 How to make your own key (ak90 review)
NumbaOneNewb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 02:59 PM   #11
eldonzorro

My Ride: 2003 325i
so I can trash the factory amp when I get an aftermarket head unit?

and subsequently, run the factory speakers powered just by the head unit and subwoofers off a mono amp?
eldonzorro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 03:10 PM   #12
IrunBimmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by eldonzorro View Post
so I can trash the factory amp when I get an aftermarket head unit?

and subsequently, run the factory speakers powered just by the head unit and subwoofers off a mono amp?
Remove the. Stock unit put in a pioneer or smthing wire that to an amp and sub in your trunk and don't touch anything else your speakers will be connects to the unit don't think about it to much it's not hard
Old 04-14-2013, 07:19 PM   #13
NumbaOneNewb

Hm..... I don't think it works that way nor is it that simple and of course you have to think about it
Portland Metro: ECU updates, Euro tune, euro corner delete, air bag light, DSC light, cluster and any led color change, soldering work, transponders for keys, and all custom work related to computer or electronics.DIY AK90 A walk through on coding your mcu and transponders EWS3 How to make your own key (ak90 review)

Last edited by NumbaOneNewb; 04-14-2013 at 07:26 PM.
Old 04-14-2013, 07:24 PM   #14
NumbaOneNewb

This is what you do If you dont plan on running an amp for your door speakers Upon getting aftermarket head unit, install it. Now, for the most part, since I did use an amp for door speakers, i didn't connect any of the speaker wires in the back. For you, you will need to hook all the wires up pretty much back there. Then, you need to go to the amp in the back, the stock amp that us, and disconnect the harness to it. It'll split into 2 separate connectors. Now bmw didn't make it simple where one harness was for inputs the other outputs. It's all mixed and criss crossed. So you'll need to find all the door speaker wires that are headed towards the stock amp and use whatever method you want to have it connect directly over to the wire heading out to that speaker. You want to skip over that stock amp.

I'd also leave that connector disconnected because it will no longer be of any use. You can also tap into the white wire back there to get the remote wire for your sub amp instead of running one from the front. It's already there for you.

This method will at least give you the best sound your equipment was capable of producing. If you dont plan on switching the door speakers, expect the quality to fall below stock standards. The speakers in there are of the most unusual ohms, and nothing aftermarket that's worth the money have that type of ohms. No head unit or amp is compatible with those specs. Switching out your door speakers will then provide compatible sound

Last edited by NumbaOneNewb; 04-14-2013 at 07:37 PM.
Old 04-14-2013, 07:34 PM   #15
IrunBimmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by NumbaOneNewb View Post
Hm..... I don't think it works that way nor is it that simple and of course you have to think about it
Iv don't this on 4bmws and counting its simple. Study the diagram and you will be good.
Old 04-14-2013, 07:39 PM   #16
NumbaOneNewb

Oh brother. Those 4 bmws must sound horrible because it just would. Ask any stereo expert this. Don't ask me. I already know My mmethod is the acceptable one, the right way to do it.
Old 04-14-2013, 07:42 PM   #17
NumbaOneNewb

Well, as for the OP, do what you want. I'd recommend searching this subject like you should have and you would know the correct way to hook up a stereo in a bmw
Old 04-14-2013, 07:46 PM   #18
NumbaOneNewb

One more thing. Don't buy any of that bsw crap they sell. Installation may somewhat plug and play but way over priced. It'd probably cost you the same to buy decent speakers and pay someone to install it for you. Their setup is also for those guys who want a better than stock sound system but don't want to switch head unit out. It's like the stock head unit is a piece of gold or something. That thing is just pure crap
Old 04-14-2013, 08:02 PM   #19
vandyboy

My Ride: 2001 325i
Quote:
Originally Posted by NumbaOneNewb View Post
One more thing. Don't buy any of that bsw crap they sell. Installation may somewhat plug and play but way over priced. It'd probably cost you the same to buy decent speakers and pay someone to install it for you. Their setup is also for those guys who want a better than stock sound system but don't want to switch head unit out. It's like the stock head unit is a piece of gold or something. That thing is just pure crap
So Newb, what kind of speakers would you install in the rear deck? I have the base system with no subs. Would you buy mid-range speakers?
vandyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 08:17 PM   #20
Saintluk2

My Ride: 2000 323i sedan
I don't think BSW sells crap. They sell speakers and convenience. It takes actual research and tinkering around to install aftermarket speakers/amp into our cars. Their system is simply plug and play. Took me a total of about 8 hours. I installed an alpine processor which allows me to keep the stock head unit. I then used the factory speaker wiring to connect aftermarket speakers and amps. Had to cut holes into the speaker door sheet metal and fabricate custom mounting brackets. Are my aftermarket speakers better than what BSW offers ? I would wager yes but i did lots of research and chose to go with high quality, but less durable speakers that are marketed for the home.
Saintluk2 is offline   Reply With Quote