E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-14-2013, 08:10 PM   #21
dwsounddesign
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Brookline, Boston, MA
Posts: 146
My Ride: 2002 BMW 330xi
ok I'm going to answer this kid's question cause he's probably still waiting for an answer. I think the car looks good. Make sure you inspect the car. Get the car fax, and you had a beemer before. CHECK THE AREAS of common failures and test drive it. If you like then bag it! It's yours and you can fix her up nice with some mods and post the dyi's cause that what this thread is all about. Good Luck and hope to speak soon, brotha!
dwsounddesign is offline  
Old 04-14-2013, 08:14 PM   #22
DarkSyde330ci
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Indianapolis,IN
Posts: 285
My Ride: COUPE
Thats a nice bmw I'm sure there are people that would prefer beige over any other color interior its all about preference, anything can look good. 6000 is about the going rate nowadays if not less for a non m e46 atleast where I come from.
__________________
DarkSyde330ci
DarkSyde330ci is offline  
Old 04-14-2013, 08:19 PM   #23
Razmataz77
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: NJ
Posts: 85
My Ride: 2002 325i
nice care, lock and load bro. Have pops cut the check asap.
Razmataz77 is offline  
Old 04-14-2013, 08:19 PM   #24
lszlszx
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Socal
Posts: 4,523
My Ride: 328i, XC70
I do like the color combo, the beige interior makes the cabin feel bright and airy and the white exterior looks a bit "old school" cool.
__________________


GM No Reverse - posts 443, 456

E46 NO START - A list of possible causes

"Would the codes indicate if it's the carburator?"
lszlszx is offline  
Old 04-14-2013, 08:21 PM   #25
dwsounddesign
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Brookline, Boston, MA
Posts: 146
My Ride: 2002 BMW 330xi
and don't forget to low ball! Looking at it, it looks pretty standard other than the auto, what are the options it have again? and low ball the price so u can have some extra $$$$
dwsounddesign is offline  
Old 04-14-2013, 10:46 PM   #26
mitfa911
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Miami, FL
Posts: 173
My Ride: 2001 330 CIc
If everything checks out and I'm sure it will with the low mileage, go for it. The car looks great. No one in this forum is going to help you make a payment on that car. So don't pay attention to any negativity and enjoy the car. If all you can afford is an entry level e46 and it makes you happy, then that's all that matters.
mitfa911 is offline  
Old 04-14-2013, 11:03 PM   #27
e30mike
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Sacramento, California
Posts: 186
My Ride: 325i
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwsounddesign View Post
ok I'm going to answer this kid's question cause he's probably still waiting for an answer. I think the car looks good. Make sure you inspect the car. Get the car fax, and you had a beemer before. CHECK THE AREAS of common failures and test drive it. If you like then bag it! It's yours and you can fix her up nice with some mods and post the dyi's cause that what this thread is all about. Good Luck and hope to speak soon, brotha!
This. I'd go for a manual tranny myself but it's not everyone's cup of tea.
__________________
e30mike is offline  
Old 04-14-2013, 11:10 PM   #28
E46er75
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: New England
Posts: 298
My Ride: 323i Vert, 330xi
Automatic tranny + interior color = not having enough money for the proper E46.

Last edited by E46er75; 04-14-2013 at 11:12 PM.
E46er75 is offline  
Old 04-14-2013, 11:14 PM   #29
Mango
Over 15,000 visitors
 
Mango's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Southern California
Posts: 22,484
My Ride: M54B30
I think the fact that the OP is 16 means he doesn't exactly need/deserve the sportiest combo E46. I didn't have my "first car" since I was 17 anyway and it was an automatic accord. Believe me, at that point, I was not picky. Also young people often are only offered cars by their parents that the parent(s) can also drive if need be. It's sort of an incentive for the parents. Also I'm not sure OP's ready to learn stick when he hasn't quite learned how to enter his driveway yet.

Car looks fine, OP. seems like a direct replacement for what you had.
__________________
A lifetime free of problems if you follow my guides
Cooling | Maintenance | Suspension | Vacuum | Supreme Reliability | Details

OVER A MILLION VIEWS
Mango is offline  
Old 04-14-2013, 11:42 PM   #30
THECLEANERBEAMER
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Oklahoma
Posts: 1,550
My Ride: 2002 325i
I have an auto,4 door,beige interior sure I wanted black and a manual but those options weren't really around my area good ones anyways. They all looked beat to hell and thrashed on. Plus all manual e46's I contacted never replied. My car is my car sure I'd like black interior or a manual or even a different color than "steel blue" at first anyways but it's grown on me and I wouldn't change it. Does that mean its not a proper e46? Of course not if OP wants that car I don't see why not. We're fanatics. No matter that car,what options,color or anything else it becomes our car and no one else's, for us to make fit to how we like.
__________________
Instagram:thecleanerbeamer

Last edited by THECLEANERBEAMER; 04-14-2013 at 11:44 PM.
THECLEANERBEAMER is offline  
Old 04-15-2013, 12:37 AM   #31
tock172
Beachtown Bill Collector
 
tock172's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: San Diego
Posts: 2,885
My Ride: '99 Techno Violet M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by hacksawmark View Post
When I was your age, I wasn't afraid to say "what needs to be said" either. Way too easy on an internet forum to simply say what's on your mind. And no one is challenging you whether you're right or wrong; just the way you show intolerance towards those who don't hold views that are aligned with yours. When OP asked about what you thought, he wanted objective input. It's okay to say you don't agree with his choice; it's not okay to take it to personal level as you did in your first post in this thread. It is you who should give OP a break. He is secure enough with himself to have started a thread about him crashing his car into his home like you did when you crashed your 1st bimmer within hours of buying it.
You make a good point regarding OP having the guts to make a thread like I did. However in my opinion, that's all the more reason for him to take the time to find a BMW that actually suites him. Among enthusiasts, which this community is comprised of, a beige interior undesirable, and I think the fact that OP posted a car with such an interior is indicative of his overall impatience. He needs to exercise restraint and think about his next vehicle more in terms of an investment as opposed to a purchase. I also want to make it clear that I find you choosing to address me as a lessor individual because of my age very rude and in all other regards, irrelevant to this conversation. As a side note, it was my first e46, but my third BMW that I wrecked.

But I must ask, don't you find it a bit funny that you make it a point to talk about my intolerance of the views of others when clearly, you have difficulty tolerating mine? Why else would you take the time respond to me in such a tone?


Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex323Ci View Post
E46s with low mileage and pristine condition are fetching even more than that. Yet no mention of that by you in your assessment.
Again, your post was that it wasn't a "proper E46". And one of the two reasons you posted it wasn't a "proper E46" was that it had beige colored interior.

Your own personal views about beige colored leather interior vs black (or gray) is YOUR own preference. Let's look at the car for what it is overall before dismissing it purely on Your own perference. BMW made E46s with four doors, automatics and tan interiors because there was/is a market for them.

Seems plenty of people who posted agree with me you're the one out of line here.
Fetching more than what? I didn't reference a price, so I'm not sure what you're talking about. Anyway, to clarify my response to you, which you seem to have either misinterpreted or chosen to disregard, automatic transmissions, though they initially cost more as an option, devalue the market price of an e46 in comparison to those equipped with a manual. No one will disagree with me on that. Manuals are more desirable and harder to find, making them more expensive. I'm not sure what is so difficult to understand about that, yet you continue to badger me. From an enthusiasts point of view, an automatic transmission and a beige interior is a deal breaker. But, everyone's encouraging it for the impatient 16 year old. That's what I'm arguing against. I think this car is the wrong choice because he's jumping the gun and just can't wait. Surely you recall when he posted that terrible non sport package vert, right? I'm not sure what anyone would consider out of line about my position. Perhaps you could educate me.
__________________


1999 Techno Violet Metallic BMW M3
2005 Audi B6 S4 quattro 6MT
2004 BMW 330i
1986 BMW 535i

tock172 is offline  
Old 04-15-2013, 05:36 AM   #32
Alex323Ci
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Huntington Beach -Surf City USA
Posts: 16,839
My Ride: M3 & 323Ci (sold)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tock172 View Post
Anyway, to clarify my response to you, which you seem to have either misinterpreted or chosen to disregard, automatic transmissions, though they initially cost more as an option, devalue the market price of an e46 in comparison to those equipped with a manual. No one will disagree with me on that. Manuals are more desirable and harder to find, making them more expensive. I'm not sure what is so difficult to understand about that, yet you continue to badger me. From an enthusiasts point of view, an automatic transmission and a beige interior is a deal breaker. But, everyone's encouraging it for the impatient 16 year old. That's what I'm arguing against. I think this car is the wrong choice because he's jumping the gun and just can't wait. Surely you recall when he posted that terrible non sport package vert, right? I'm not sure what anyone would consider out of line about my position. Perhaps you could educate me.
Are you really that much in denial or just playin? Can you not read the thread about how people are posting now directed at your comments? That should tell you they are NOT in line with your thinking and comments.
And now you find fault with others replies and respond basically they're being insulting? After the insults you first introduced to the thread?? Seems like you're dishing it out, but scream foul to others.
As for from an enthusiast's point of view, sedans are also less desirable than coupes. Coupes have always cost more (given same) features. So why not state that? Oh thats right, because You have a sedan. And this is about what YOU think. That's what people find fault with.
As for automatic. EVERYONE who can drive can drive an automatic. But same is not true for a manual. He's just 16, lives at home and is new to driving.
And really, you still trying to pass off the beige interior as non-enthusiast? Sport package is more important to an enthusiast than black. Guess what, beige leather still made by BMW!
I'm not saying this is a great car, haven't inspected it. But it might be the perfect car for OP if all checks out. I'm not 16 nor him.
__________________
OE CSL WHEELS - OE CSL BRAKES - OE AUTOFLD MIRRORS - CSL TRUNK - CSL DIFFUSER - AA TUNE - AA PULLEYS - AS 40% SSK - BILSTEIN PSS9s
CF CSL LIP - NAVI - BMWPERF CF STRUT BAR - BMW GROUP N MNTS - GRUPPE M CF INTAKE - SUPERSPRINT - UUC BRKLINES, TRANS, RTABs - H&R SWAYS - 4.10 M-SPORT DIFF
Alex323Ci is offline  
Old 04-15-2013, 05:50 AM   #33
HacksawMark
OEM ///Member
 
HacksawMark's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 1,101
My Ride: 2014 Subaru XV
Quote:
Originally Posted by tock172 View Post
You make a good point regarding OP having the guts to make a thread like I did. However in my opinion, that's all the more reason for him to take the time to find a BMW that actually suites him. Among enthusiasts, which this community is comprised of, a beige interior undesirable, and I think the fact that OP posted a car with such an interior is indicative of his overall impatience. He needs to exercise restraint and think about his next vehicle more in terms of an investment as opposed to a purchase.
What in your opinion, would make you think OPs choice of BMW doesn't suit him? You may be right about many enthusiasts choices of interior color, but I'm sure there are plenty of enthusiasts here that have beige interiors. Are they all impatient, impulsive purchasers of BMWs who don't see their cars as investments?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tock172 View Post
I also want to make it clear that I find you choosing to address me as a lessor individual because of my age very rude and in all other regards, irrelevant to this conversation.
My apologies; it wasn't my intent to be rude. It must be my old age; I forgot that this was all about you in someones else thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tock172 View Post
As a side note, it was my first e46, but my third BMW that I wrecked.
Wow! Really? You have gained a lot of experience. I mean to show such patience and restraint at such a young age....that's really something! Clearly, OP as well as I and many others are not as experienced as you are in investing in BMWs. We must be too impatient and lack restraint; yeah, that's it. You are very fortunate to have those gifts. They will serve you well in later life.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tock172 View Post
But I must ask, don't you find it a bit funny that you make it a point to talk about my intolerance of the views of others when clearly, you have difficulty tolerating mine? Why else would you take the time respond to me in such a tone?
Oh yeah, I find it hilarious!

Seriously though, it's the way you express your views in such personal terms that I and others on this thread have difficulty with. There's no call for that. Your preference of black interiors vs beige interiors is one thing and you're entitled to your opinion. Dissing someone like you did however is out of line. There are better ways (or better choices of words) of getting your point across without going personal.
HacksawMark is offline  
Old 04-15-2013, 10:05 AM   #34
sunsetcoast
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: SW Michigan
Posts: 802
My Ride: '99 323i & '00 323iT
Quote:
Originally Posted by tock172 View Post
Among enthusiasts, which this community is comprised of, a beige interior undesirable.
One interior color functions every bit as well as another. And this car has the best "enthusiast" seats: sport and manual: support and less weight than power seats.

Color preference is a matter of taste. Reasonable people can disagree. We currently have 2 e46s. One has a black interior; the other is beige. I prefer the beige. As noted above, it "opens" up the car quite a bit. And it looks "richer". Cheap leather can still look presentable when dyed black or dark brown. That is not the case with lighter colors.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tock172 View Post
He needs to exercise restraint and think about his next vehicle more in terms of an investment as opposed to a purchase.
Unless the vehicle is something like a GT250, there is no "investment" here. The car is going to depreciate. Especially a DD. And, with few exceptions, mods will return pennies (mostly in the single digits) on the dollar.

The bigger question when buying an older vehicle is overall condition and prior maintenance. We should be counseling him on taking care of that aspect, first.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tock172 View Post
automatic transmissions, though they initially cost more as an option, devalue the market price of an e46 in comparison to those equipped with a manual. No one will disagree with me on that.
Hmm, the public valuation sites (KBB, Edmunds, etc.) deduct for manual transmissions. As also noted above, anyone can drive a slushbox. Not true for cars with 3 pedals.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tock172 View Post
From an enthusiasts point of view, an automatic transmission and a beige interior is a deal breaker.
Those who use their cars to commute in LA, DC, Chicago, Atlanta, NYC, Atlanta, etc. may not come to the same conclusion. BMW sold many more autoboxes in the US than manuals.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tock172 View Post
But, everyone's encouraging it for the impatient 16 year old. That's what I'm arguing against. I think this car is the wrong choice because he's jumping the gun and just can't wait. Surely you recall when he posted that terrible non sport package vert, right? I'm not sure what anyone would consider out of line about my position. Perhaps you could educate me.
The OP seems to like the e46. There are worse e46s for a novice driver to have than an automatic '01 325i. Such as an "enthusiast" M3. Or a ZHP, for that matter. And in light of the fact that his current skill level resulted in a crash into his own house, any variety of 'vert doesn't seem like a very safe option.

But he's 16. It is the nature of the beast to be impatient. Let's help him focus on what matters first: a safe vehicle, then good mechanical condition. After that, consider cosmetic condition, and, finally, option packages. Problem is, ads can tell us about option packages and show cosmetic condition, but provide no clue about mechanical condition.
sunsetcoast is offline  
Old 04-15-2013, 10:09 AM   #35
aahmed2016
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Jonesboro, GA, USA
Posts: 759
My Ride: 2003 330i ZSP/CP/PP
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwsounddesign View Post
ok I'm going to answer this kid's question cause he's probably still waiting for an answer. I think the car looks good. Make sure you inspect the car. Get the car fax, and you had a beemer before. CHECK THE AREAS of common failures and test drive it. If you like then bag it! It's yours and you can fix her up nice with some mods and post the dyi's cause that what this thread is all about. Good Luck and hope to speak soon, brotha!
Thanks for the advice, and yes, of course! I'll definitely be getting a decent PPI this time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwsounddesign View Post
and don't forget to low ball! Looking at it, it looks pretty standard other than the auto, what are the options it have again? and low ball the price so u can have some extra $$$$
It's just a sport package, with manual seats [Light =)]. Yeah, I'll offer less. I'll start at 5K, and then go up to about 5.2-5.5K. Is that a good price area?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tock172 View Post
Fetching more than what? I didn't reference a price, so I'm not sure what you're talking about. Anyway, to clarify my response to you, which you seem to have either misinterpreted or chosen to disregard, automatic transmissions, though they initially cost more as an option, devalue the market price of an e46 in comparison to those equipped with a manual. No one will disagree with me on that. Manuals are more desirable and harder to find, making them more expensive. I'm not sure what is so difficult to understand about that, yet you continue to badger me. From an enthusiasts point of view, an automatic transmission and a beige interior is a deal breaker. But, everyone's encouraging it for the impatient 16 year old. That's what I'm arguing against. I think this car is the wrong choice because he's jumping the gun and just can't wait. Surely you recall when he posted that terrible non sport package vert, right? I'm not sure what anyone would consider out of line about my position. Perhaps you could educate me.
So to get this straight, you would buy a car that only you and no one else in your family could drive, killing the point of having a fairly quick family car? I don't like black interiors, because IMO, it makes the interior look dark, and mush smaller than it is. I was asking if it was a sport package, because I was confused seeing chromed (ew) M68's, Tri-Spoke steering wheel, and flat seats. I do not mean to be rude, or disrespectful, but I've been going through quite some **** recently. Please go pull out whatever it is up your ass that is making you be such an ignorant piece of trash. I asked for an opinion, not for your personal judgement of me.
__________________

Quote:
Originally Posted by MercForHire View Post
Spends $2000 on car DVD + stereo -> Running 25000 mile oil changes and 87 gas with blown shocks
aahmed2016 is offline  
Old 04-15-2013, 11:17 AM   #36
mxracer707
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Atlanta
Posts: 36
My Ride: 2006 BMW 325ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by tock172 View Post
You make a good point regarding OP having the guts to make a thread like I did. However in my opinion, that's all the more reason for him to take the time to find a BMW that actually suites him. Among enthusiasts, which this community is comprised of, a beige interior undesirable, and I think the fact that OP posted a car with such an interior is indicative of his overall impatience. He needs to exercise restraint and think about his next vehicle more in terms of an investment as opposed to a purchase. I also want to make it clear that I find you choosing to address me as a lessor individual because of my age very rude and in all other regards, irrelevant to this conversation. As a side note, it was my first e46, but my third BMW that I wrecked.

But I must ask, don't you find it a bit funny that you make it a point to talk about my intolerance of the views of others when clearly, you have difficulty tolerating mine? Why else would you take the time respond to me in such a tone?




Fetching more than what? I didn't reference a price, so I'm not sure what you're talking about. Anyway, to clarify my response to you, which you seem to have either misinterpreted or chosen to disregard, automatic transmissions, though they initially cost more as an option, devalue the market price of an e46 in comparison to those equipped with a manual. No one will disagree with me on that. Manuals are more desirable and harder to find, making them more expensive. I'm not sure what is so difficult to understand about that, yet you continue to badger me. From an enthusiasts point of view, an automatic transmission and a beige interior is a deal breaker. But, everyone's encouraging it for the impatient 16 year old. That's what I'm arguing against. I think this car is the wrong choice because he's jumping the gun and just can't wait. Surely you recall when he posted that terrible non sport package vert, right? I'm not sure what anyone would consider out of line about my position. Perhaps you could educate me.
You are out of your effing mind dude
mxracer707 is offline  
Old 04-15-2013, 11:20 AM   #37
wildirish317
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Louisville, KY
Posts: 2,594
My Ride: 2004 325Ci vert
Boy this thread went downhill in a hurry. OP, I like the car. It's an E46, what's not to like?

I have a beige interior. Interior color wasn't on my "must have" list when I bought the car, but I like beige because it doesn't get as hot as black.

Don't worry about the automatic transmission. When I was 16 -19 years old, I used to trade cars a lot, alternating between manual and automatic. I'd get tire of shifting and get an auto. Then I'd miss the shifting and get a manual. I still do this, but I keep the cars a lot longer between trades.
__________________


“The test of the machine is the satisfaction it gives you. There isn't any other test. If the machine produces tranquility it's right. If it disturbs you it's wrong until either the machine or your mind is changed.”
wildirish317 is offline  
Old 04-15-2013, 11:21 AM   #38
Mango
Over 15,000 visitors
 
Mango's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Southern California
Posts: 22,484
My Ride: M54B30
Quote:
Originally Posted by wildirish317 View Post
Boy this thread went downhill in a hurry. OP, I like the car. It's an E46, what's not to like?

I have a beige interior. Interior color wasn't on my "must have" list when I bought the car, but I like beige because it doesn't get as hot as black.

Don't worry about the automatic transmission. When I was 16 -19 years old, I used to trade cars a lot, alternating between manual and automatic. I'd get tire of shifting and get an auto. Then I'd miss the shifting and get a manual. I still do this, but I keep the cars a lot longer between trades.
grass is always greener
__________________
A lifetime free of problems if you follow my guides
Cooling | Maintenance | Suspension | Vacuum | Supreme Reliability | Details

OVER A MILLION VIEWS
Mango is offline  
Old 04-15-2013, 11:22 AM   #39
tock172
Beachtown Bill Collector
 
tock172's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: San Diego
Posts: 2,885
My Ride: '99 Techno Violet M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex323Ci View Post
Are you really that much in denial or just playin? Can you not read the thread about how people are posting now directed at your comments? That should tell you they are NOT in line with your thinking and comments.
And now you find fault with others replies and respond basically they're being insulting? After the insults you first introduced to the thread?? Seems like you're dishing it out, but scream foul to others.
As for from an enthusiast's point of view, sedans are also less desirable than coupes. Coupes have always cost more (given same) features. So why not state that? Oh thats right, because You have a sedan. And this is about what YOU think. That's what people find fault with.
As for automatic. EVERYONE who can drive can drive an automatic. But same is not true for a manual. He's just 16, lives at home and is new to driving.
And really, you still trying to pass off the beige interior as non-enthusiast? Sport package is more important to an enthusiast than black. Guess what, beige leather still made by BMW!
I'm not saying this is a great car, haven't inspected it. But it might be the perfect car for OP if all checks out. I'm not 16 nor him.
Do you forget that I drive an automatic sedan? What are you trying to prove? As far as I know, the difference between the sedan and coupe performance wise is negligible and for all intents and purposes, not even worth mentioning. Everyone knows that, which is why we never have coupe vs sedan arguments here.

I can see, from the nature of your response that you still have yet to wrap your head around what I am trying to say here. Cars with beige interiors and automatic transmissions sell for less than cars with the more desirable black interiors. It only makes sense that the 16 year old OP is posting such a car, because of course, he is most likely broke and impatient. Buying a $6,000 e46 is a terrible idea, given my assumption that OP probably won't have a single extra penny to allocate for maintenance. The beige interior and automatic transmission only lends credence to my argument, it solidifies the fact that I think OP is being impatient and rushing to judgement. My advice is to find an e30/e36 for $4,000 (top) and spend the remainder of his cash on maintenance. I'm not sure what is so damn difficult to understand about that, but somehow, you keep missing my point and trying to make it personal. Believe me it's far from. However judging from the fact that you responded to me at 3:30 in the morning, it does seem a bit personal to you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hacksawmark View Post
What in your opinion, would make you think OPs choice of BMW doesn't suit him? You may be right about many enthusiasts choices of interior color, but I'm sure there are plenty of enthusiasts here that have beige interiors. Are they all impatient, impulsive purchasers of BMWs who don't see their cars as investments?

My apologies; it wasn't my intent to be rude. It must be my old age; I forgot that this was all about you in someones else thread.

Wow! Really? You have gained a lot of experience. I mean to show such patience and restraint at such a young age....that's really something! Clearly, OP as well as I and many others are not as experienced as you are in investing in BMWs. We must be too impatient and lack restraint; yeah, that's it. You are very fortunate to have those gifts. They will serve you well in later life.

Oh yeah, I find it hilarious!

Seriously though, it's the way you express your views in such personal terms that I and others on this thread have difficulty with. There's no call for that. Your preference of black interiors vs beige interiors is one thing and you're entitled to your opinion. Dissing someone like you did however is out of line. There are better ways (or better choices of words) of getting your point across without going personal.
This BMW does not suite OP because I am willing to bet that he won't have enough money to properly maintain it, which is why he is scraping the bottom of the barrel for e46s. If he wants a car that will suite him, he should find one that he can actually afford to own and maintain. I will say it again, if your budget for e46 ownership is $6,000, look for another car. No one here seems be able to comprehend such a simple statement.

This is not about me, this is about the 16 year old OP trying to purchase a car he can't afford. You, Alex and others continue to make this thread about me because you so vehemently disagree with my statements which are not unreasonable.

Also, when I wrecked my first e46, I waited 3 months to collect my thoughts and conduct research on my next car purchase because, as I stated earlier, I view it as an investment. I waited until I found a car that met my specifications, for a price I could afford. I don't see what is so ridiculous about putting time, effort and money (investing) in a car I'm going to be using every single day for years, yet you continue to publicly challenge me over it.

I never stated my preference for black interiors in this thread. I never said they were superior, and I never said I preferred them, all I stated was that e46s with black interiors fetch higher market prices than those with other colors. The way I compose my statements is the way I speak on a daily basis. If you have a problem with it, I cordially invite you to add me to your ignore list. It seems as though this would do both of us a favor as you simply cannot tolerate me sharing my opinion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunsetcoast View Post


Unless the vehicle is something like a GT250, there is no "investment" here. The car is going to depreciate. Especially a DD. And, with few exceptions, mods will return pennies (mostly in the single digits) on the dollar.

The bigger question when buying an older vehicle is overall condition and prior maintenance. We should be counseling him on taking care of that aspect, first.


Hmm, the public valuation sites (KBB, Edmunds, etc.) deduct for manual transmissions. As also noted above, anyone can drive a slushbox. Not true for cars with 3 pedals.



Those who use their cars to commute in LA, DC, Chicago, Atlanta, NYC, Atlanta, etc. may not come to the same conclusion. BMW sold many more autoboxes in the US than manuals.


The OP seems to like the e46. There are worse e46s for a novice driver to have than an automatic '01 325i. Such as an "enthusiast" M3. Or a ZHP, for that matter. And in light of the fact that his current skill level resulted in a crash into his own house, any variety of 'vert doesn't seem like a very safe option.

But he's 16. It is the nature of the beast to be impatient. Let's help him focus on what matters first: a safe vehicle, then good mechanical condition. After that, consider cosmetic condition, and, finally, option packages. Problem is, ads can tell us about option packages and show cosmetic condition, but provide no clue about mechanical condition.
I simply do not agree with your statements regarding viewing a car as an investment. As I stated above in this post, I spend money, time and energy on my car, just like everyone else on this board. Why? Because we all receive value in return for such an investment in the form of clean, well maintained and fun to drive cars. That's an investment. It's not all about breaking even in terms money, there are numerous unquantifiable values involved in owning a car that I shouldn't have to explain here, it should be a given. I'm not sure why you miss this. You derive value from being able to drive a reliable car every day, do you not?

I'm glad you bring up maintenance because this is an indispensable part of my argument. Once again, as I have already stated, if an individual has a cash outlay of only $6,000 to spend on an e46, it is strongly advisable for that person to consider another car. $6,000 is barely enough to purchase a decently maintained e46 and nowhere near enough to bring to a satisfactory level of reliability and performance. We all know the costs associated with the cooling system, suspension and all of the other odds and ends.

I find your statement regarding KBB and other valuation services to completely unrelated to the topic at hand. I am talking about the market prices that e46s actually sell for, not what websites suggest they should sell for. Need more evidence? Go to the classifieds and look for well maintained e46s with black interiors and manual transmissions and you will see that they consistently go for more than there less desirable counterparts.

He's 16 and seemingly into cars. My advice is to take more time when thinking about this situation; consider other cars which are more affordable and practical, yet just as fun.
Quote:
Originally Posted by aahmed2016 View Post


So to get this straight, you would buy a car that only you and no one else in your family could drive, killing the point of having a fairly quick family car? I don't like black interiors, because IMO, it makes the interior look dark, and mush smaller than it is. I was asking if it was a sport package, because I was confused seeing chromed (ew) M68's, Tri-Spoke steering wheel, and flat seats. I do not mean to be rude, or disrespectful, but I've been going through quite some **** recently. Please go pull out whatever it is up your ass that is making you be such an ignorant piece of trash. I asked for an opinion, not for your personal judgement of me.
If a beige interior is your honest preference, than by all means, purchase an e46 with one. However, I have a difficult time believing this, given your situation, age, previous cars you have posted and the asking prices for the cars you have shared with us.

I don't understand why you feel the need to react to me in such an immature way. All I'm doing is advising you to think this situation through and consider more practical and affordable cars.

Let me ask you an honest question. How much do you actually have to spend on your next car, and how much do you have set aside for maintenance? This is the real question no one is asking. If you have $6,000 to spend on the car and another $2,000 to $3,000 to spend on maintenance, then get the white sedan inspected and buy it. Otherwise, keep looking.

What is so damn offensive about that?
__________________


1999 Techno Violet Metallic BMW M3
2005 Audi B6 S4 quattro 6MT
2004 BMW 330i
1986 BMW 535i

tock172 is offline  
Old 04-15-2013, 11:26 AM   #40
Mango
Over 15,000 visitors
 
Mango's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Southern California
Posts: 22,484
My Ride: M54B30
To be fair, I'm fairly certain the OP doesn't have an income and his parents are helping with the car and maintenance. I think they want to buy him something he likes whil e making sure it's safe and driveable by either parent. I say that because that's exactly what my parents did.
__________________
A lifetime free of problems if you follow my guides
Cooling | Maintenance | Suspension | Vacuum | Supreme Reliability | Details

OVER A MILLION VIEWS
Mango is offline  
Closed Thread

Tags
tick tock

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Censor is ON





All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:57 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
(c) 1999 - 2011 performanceIX Inc - privacy policy - terms of use