E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-14-2013, 08:36 PM   #1
clarkson23

My Ride: 325i
Key Programming

If I have the BMW Scanner 1.4 and have had a new key cut for my 325i can i program the key to start my car using that tool?
clarkson23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 04-14-2013, 09:06 PM   #2
HacksawMark
Modded ///Member

My Ride: 2014 Subaru XV
No.
HacksawMark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 09:07 PM   #3
jfoj

My Ride: '06 330CiC, '03 M5
No.

EWS need a chip syncronized with the key. Likely your key may not even have the EWS chip.

New dealer keyfob precut that will start your car without any programming is $165 = tax, in NY around $175 out the door.

Fuel pump failures - http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=929501

Temp Info - http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=964491

Hidden OBC Menu - Check Voltage, Temps, Fuel Level - http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=239619

E46/E39 GM5 Door Lock Info - www.bmwgm5.com

Lower hose fan switch O-ring - BMW #13621743299
jfoj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 04:36 AM   #4
NumbaOneNewb

My Ride: 2001 bmw 330ci
No but I can. I'm the only one who has written a full tutorial on this. Read it.
Portland Metro: ECU updates, Euro tune, euro corner delete, air bag light, DSC light, cluster and any led color change, soldering work, transponders for keys, and all custom work related to computer or electronics.DIY AK90 A walk through on coding your mcu and transponders EWS3 How to make your own key (ak90 review)
NumbaOneNewb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 06:44 PM   #5
clarkson23

Are all 2004 e46 keys cut the same?
Old 04-15-2013, 06:57 PM   #6
NumbaOneNewb

If you're talking about the machinery used, yes but the e46 had 2 different types of key blades
Portland Metro: ECU updates, Euro tune, euro corner delete, air bag light, DSC light, cluster and any led color change, soldering work, transponders for keys, and all custom work related to computer or electronics.DIY AK90 A walk through on coding your mcu and transponders EWS3 How to make your own key (ak90 review)
Old 04-15-2013, 07:10 PM   #7
clarkson23

I know the difference between the two. So would this style key be the same cut as everyone?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/300878494592...4.m1438.l2649#
Old 04-15-2013, 07:17 PM   #8
NumbaOneNewb

For the most part yes. That's the same type of key I have
Old 04-15-2013, 07:21 PM   #9
scottjoh

My Ride: '99 323i & '02 540i
Quote:
Originally Posted by clarkson23 View Post
I know the difference between the two. So would this style key be the same cut as everyone?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/300878494592...4.m1438.l2649#
I don't trust that seller. The seller shows one style of key, but, lists cars that use both types of cut key blades in the description. I call one groove cut (used on ALL E46's, E53's X5's, E83 X3, E85's & 86 Z4's) and the other I call edge cut (are used on all E38 7-series and E39 5-series). See picture below. How do you know you will get the correct one? The description doesn't say anything about letting the seller know what car you have so the correct one can be sent! I suggest contacting the seller to make sure he knows there is a difference between the keys required for the cars he lists. The uncut key blanks are different and not interchangeable. The groove cut blade is 2.9mm thick & 8.1mm wide where as the edge cut is 3.5mm thick & 7.2mm wide. The best thing to do is get the key from the dealer. These aftermarket keys typically don't recharge in the ignition like factory keys and require the battery to be replaced every so often. Aftermarket keys also are not made as well with thinner plastic and are also not as well sealed against moisture (housing snaps together to facilitate battery replacement). In the end the cost is not that much different if you consider the extra hassle involved. $25 for the key, then find a locksmith who can cut it $30-40 and then find someone who can program the transponder so it will start the car $?????. Who knows if there is anyone in your area who can program the transponder so that it will start the engine. For aftermarket keys to accomplish this step the EWS module needs to be taken out of the car and it's flash memory modified with an aftermarket key programmer tool and then the key programmed. A new key from the dealer start from about $160 (and goes up to whatever the dealer wants to screw you, so shop different dealers). These keys will come precut to the locks, preprogrammed to start the car and getting the remote to work takes 10 seconds (key resync procedure)

Last edited by scottjoh; 04-15-2013 at 08:52 PM.
scottjoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 07:33 PM   #10
NumbaOneNewb

I have never seen the one you refer to as the e39 type key on an e46 before either but have seen it on an e39 as you pointed out. However, there are always exceptions. Perhaps an e46 had to get new ignition lock due to some rare occurrence I don't see why it couldn't be fitted with that e39 type although it's not like they are short on the other style. I see what you mean but so long as you get the flat blade key and not the notch type it should work. Also make sure it has a transponder with it or you'll just need tk buy it separately.

Last edited by NumbaOneNewb; 04-15-2013 at 07:34 PM.
Old 04-15-2013, 07:38 PM   #11
NumbaOneNewb

Regardless if you trust them, as long as they send you the physical key, there's no way it wouldn't work. I'm familiar enough with this topic that i feel confident that there's no way it wouldn't unless they just don't send it to you. Seeing as this is ebay and you're protected by them and PayPal, doubt it. They just trying to make a buck

Last edited by NumbaOneNewb; 04-15-2013 at 07:40 PM.