E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-14-2013, 08:53 PM   #1
timhelfrich

My Ride: 2001 BMW 325xi
Idle Issue (not ICV, need some advice) and new member introduction

Alright, so about a month ago I bought a 2001 325xi and am only just beginning to understand the BMW love some of my friends have. It's been a wonderful switch from previously owning an Acura Integra which was a great and fun car however I was definitely ready to get out of the Honda game which tends to carry some stereotypes with it (though I don't think I fit most of them).

Anyways, so I got a great deal from a friend on this new car and took the chance on it and here I am. The car is in great cosmetic condition and generally mechanically good, just a few little "new owner" pet peeve/maintenance issues to take care of.

1. First and foremost is the idle issue. Just got done working on it for the day and was thinking I'd fixed the issue but it didn't work. I've read many of the posts on all the forums about the plagued idle bouncing around issue and followed the instructions on cleaning out the ICV which didn't really fix/help the problem. I've read about the possibility of Vanos seals, but those seem to be tied to cold weather starts and stalling, which wasn't a problem while it was snowing in the past month (gotta love Ohio). As I see it, it could be a few things.
1. Completely failed ICV - Where should I look to buy a new one of these if so?
2. Vacuum leak - what's the easiest way to check on this?
3. MAF sensor - I think I'd see a check engine light though...

2. My second issue is with the manual shifter. It sometimes tends to stick over in front of 5th rather than springing back into the "normal" neutral position in between 3rd and 4th. Sometimes it actually feels stuck over there like there's a clearance issue underneath and other times it's just stuck because of spring force keeping it there.

3. The clutch sometimes feels like it's pulsating slightly when i have it pushed down all the way. This almost doesn't feel like an issue, just a weird thing I'm not used to but i'm mentioning it anyway.

4. Finally there's a squeak in the suspension when the steering wheel is at full lock when I'm moving every now and again. Not really worried about this either, probably just a "I'm a car from 2001 give me a break" sound but if someone has an idea I'll hear it! Also to note, front spring squeaks a little on the driver side if you push up and down on it while it's parked.

Hope I haven't overplayed my new to the forum card with this laundry list of things. I'm just trying to get some insight on these issues. I'm most certainly not regretting my decision but I had hoped that these little problems wouldn't have surfaced so quickly. Already owe a big thanks to this BMW community for having such a wealth of knowledge and being a great group of people from just reading thus far.
timhelfrich is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 04-14-2013, 10:49 PM   #2
foo-fighter69

My Ride: 2001 325i
I have the same issue with the idle bouncing. I cleaned out the MAF and IAC but that's it. I'll be sticking around to here about this issue.
Old 04-14-2013, 10:52 PM   #3
trentcdrums

My Ride: BMW 323i Sedan
Had a bad ICV and ordered one from Bavarian Auto located in Cali. They recycle BMW parts. My car hasn't threw a code since. They warrant their parts for 6 months.

trentcdrums is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 11:15 PM   #4
timhelfrich

Yours threw a code for the ICV? If the ICV is completely shot would my car have a CEL because I haven't actually gotten the codes scanned yet because there was no light... lol
Old 04-14-2013, 11:27 PM   #5
BMWCaptain

Location: TEXAS - Where I give Real World advice and don't just criticize others. People here need to RESPECT other's opinions!
My Ride: 03 325iT SportWagon
Regarding your idle problem check:

Your intake boots for any tears or cracks

check your DISA flap if it is working properly mechanically

Check your CVV for any cracked hoses

Engine swap, HG, tranny swap, GM & ZF tranny rebuilds, shocks, struts, brakes, WPs, Thermostats, belts, tensioners, fuel pumps, radiators, window regs, hoses, PS pump, Spark Plugs, VCGs, coils, fuel filters, CVVs, VANOS seals, rack, LCABs, Exp. Tanks, OFHGs, RCABs, OP, boots, ABS, GUIDOs, starter, A/C, DISA, Diff, SAP

Ultra Premium Grand 10 Star+ Super Duper BMW-pedic Sport Plus +++
BMWCaptain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 12:20 AM   #6
timhelfrich

How is the flap supposed to work with the DISA? Probably should have checked while I had it out today.
Old 04-15-2013, 01:59 AM   #7
dznuts007

My Ride: 2001 325i Sedan
Your flap should turn and spring back. Also you need to make sure the diaphragm is still good. You can test the diaphragm by turn the flap then cover the vacuum hole and let go of the flap. If the diaphragm is still good the flap wont spring back since it's holding the vacuum. If the diaphragm is bad the flap will spring back to place.
dznuts007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 04:30 AM   #8
jfoj

My Ride: '06 330CiC, '03 M5
Read the first 3 links below in my signature.

If you plan on keeping this 12 year old car and doing DIY, you need software and/or a scan tool. Read this - http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=967204

Be prepared to sort out the cooling system as well, read the sticky at the beginning of the forum.

Fuel pump failures - http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=929501

Temp Info - http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=964491

Hidden OBC Menu - Check Voltage, Temps, Fuel Level - http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=239619

E46/E39 GM5 Door Lock Info - www.bmwgm5.com

Lower hose fan switch O-ring - BMW #13621743299
jfoj is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 05:09 AM   #9
NumbaOneNewb

My Ride: 2001 bmw 330ci
Do you have a valve cover gasket oil leak? Look along the edge of the valve cover for signs. Also look right along this piece of thin metal running parallel to the engine on the left slightly below where the valve cover gasket runs along. Oil marks on there also. Did your "friend" mention any maintenance done recently? Anywho, if valve cover is leaking, it's your spark plugs that's covered in oil causing those surges
Portland Metro: ECU updates, Euro tune, euro corner delete, air bag light, DSC light, cluster and any led color change, soldering work, transponders for keys, and all custom work related to computer or electronics.DIY AK90 A walk through on coding your mcu and transponders EWS3 How to make your own key (ak90 review)
NumbaOneNewb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 09:09 AM   #10
timhelfrich

Thanks for all the replies. No oil leaks as far as I can tell anywhere really, everything's pretty clean in that regard. My friend (who sold me the car) is actually a far better mechanic than I am and had every intention of sorting out the idle issue before I ever bought the car, I ended up buying the car a little sooner than he planned on though.

I'll give the DISA a quick check tonight when I get home from work and see if that's all good.

As far the scan tool is concerned, I've been debating the purchase of a standard obdII scan tool for a while so I think I'll pull the trigger on that one now. I'd get that tool you mentioned in your other post jfoj, but I'm currently living in Mac world and I'd need to dig out an old Windows laptop for it every time.
Old 04-15-2013, 10:07 AM   #11
BMWCaptain

Location: TEXAS - Where I give Real World advice and don't just criticize others. People here need to RESPECT other's opinions!
My Ride: 03 325iT SportWagon
Quote:
Originally Posted by timhelfrich View Post
How is the flap supposed to work with the DISA? Probably should have checked while I had it out today.
Just need to verify it is still attached to the shaft and rotates freely. You should be able to move the lever on the outside and see the flap rotate. Spring will cause it to return to closed position after you release it.

Engine swap, HG, tranny swap, GM & ZF tranny rebuilds, shocks, struts, brakes, WPs, Thermostats, belts, tensioners, fuel pumps, radiators, window regs, hoses, PS pump, Spark Plugs, VCGs, coils, fuel filters, CVVs, VANOS seals, rack, LCABs, Exp. Tanks, OFHGs, RCABs, OP, boots, ABS, GUIDOs, starter, A/C, DISA, Diff, SAP

Ultra Premium Grand 10 Star+ Super Duper BMW-pedic Sport Plus +++
BMWCaptain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 10:45 AM   #12
NumbaOneNewb

You will regret getting generic scanner. with other software, you'll be aroto do more things. If you have to bust out ol' windows, it's worth it if we're talking about your car
Portland Metro: ECU updates, Euro tune, euro corner delete, air bag light, DSC light, cluster and any led color change, soldering work, transponders for keys, and all custom work related to computer or electronics.DIY AK90 A walk through on coding your mcu and transponders EWS3 How to make your own key (ak90 review)

Last edited by NumbaOneNewb; 04-15-2013 at 10:47 AM.
Old 04-15-2013, 07:41 PM   #13
dznuts007

Yeah if you have a laptop laying around (newer one is faster of course), get an OBD2 to USB connector (tons of them on ebay..make sure it has some software packaged with it) I've been using INPA alot recently since the codes they scan are WAAAAAAY more in detail (specifically for BMW) compared to a generic handheld scanner. But either way, you should have some sort of scanner so that you at least know where to start (or at least forum members have a better idea to give suggestions if you at least post a code)

If you're gonna do the laptop thing, make sure you have Win7 x86 (NOT x64) installed because it's gonna save you alot of headaches. Some of the software won't properly install or operate on Win7 x64. OR if you have an older OS on it already that's fine
Old 04-15-2013, 08:06 PM   #14
NumbaOneNewb

As of now however all of the software is easily compatible with 64 bits windows except ncs expert. You just need the newer more recent version
Old 04-15-2013, 08:32 PM   #15
dznuts007

Ah thats good to know. I couldn't get some to work on Win 7 x64 so reformatted and installed Win 7 x86 and everything worked