E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Lighting Forum

Lighting Forum
Angel Eyes, DDEs, lighted rings, Clear Turn Signals, LEDs, Xenon, HID, or Bi-Xenon. If it lights up and you want to discuss it, post here!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-15-2013, 05:44 PM   #21
wallyworld

My Ride: 2003 325i 4dr sedan
the corners are always on in full on position? i guess i never noticed.
wallyworld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 05:49 PM   #22
NumbaOneNewb

My Ride: 2001 bmw 330ci
I believe that's correct. Now regarding coding. Whether you code the car for bixenon or not, your hid should come on. The difference is if coded add bixenon, you wouldn't need capacitors to stop the flickering because the car understands that. Seeing 35watt hids is totally normal. Not coding it will cause flickering but can be solved with capacitors. Now what light cancel error are you asking about

And the corners, US style corners will have them on with light switch on position 1 and 2. Euro style will not have them on except for signaling, which is how I have mine.
Portland Metro: ECU updates, Euro tune, euro corner delete, air bag light, DSC light, cluster and any led color change, soldering work, transponders for keys, and all custom work related to computer or electronics.DIY AK90 A walk through on coding your mcu and transponders EWS3 How to make your own key (ak90 review)

Last edited by NumbaOneNewb; 04-15-2013 at 05:54 PM.
NumbaOneNewb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 07:28 PM   #23
wallyworld

i was going to get warning cancellers/anti-flicker to solve my problem. This would work wouldnt it? how do I get euro styling corners so they arent on all the time? They are a very ugly watered down amber.
Old 04-15-2013, 07:30 PM   #24
sillieidiot

My Ride: '06 AW 330ci
Send a message via AIM to sillieidiot
you need to get it reprogrammed by a fanatic in your area with ncs expert experience. if you're going to do that, then no point in getting the warning cancellers since you can just code for xenons as well (probably bixenons cause you have an 03). otherwise, just live with it. replace the bulbs, it sounds like you have clear bulbs in the clear corners. use an amber bulb or LEDs or something.

Have a lighting problem? Read this first:
Lighting-related Troubleshooting Guide
sillieidiot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 07:45 PM   #25
wallyworld

ok im still a bit confused. I ordered warning cancellers/anti flicker. I just cancelled them because all I need is coding? So by coding the car will deliver 35w to the ballasts instead of the OEM 55w? Everything will work great? Im not doubting whatsoever, Im just new to all this and would like to learn and understand better.
Old 04-15-2013, 07:50 PM   #26
NumbaOneNewb

First off, do you know how to code? No? Well the most simplest way to code your hids is with a thing called pa soft bmw scanner v1.4. I also recommend it for reading check engine lights. It will not code your corners to euro corners however. That requires much more advanced knowledge. The pa soft can be bought for under $30
Portland Metro: ECU updates, Euro tune, euro corner delete, air bag light, DSC light, cluster and any led color change, soldering work, transponders for keys, and all custom work related to computer or electronics.DIY AK90 A walk through on coding your mcu and transponders EWS3 How to make your own key (ak90 review)
Old 04-15-2013, 07:54 PM   #27
NumbaOneNewb

Stay with that. You can also activate the oem alarm that all US bmws have built already in it, make your lights flashduring llock unlock roll windows up with remote. If you feel more comfortable move to more advanced stuff

Word of caution. If you dont know what it does, Google it or ask. You may regret your actions and all the crying won't save your car

Last edited by NumbaOneNewb; 04-15-2013 at 07:57 PM.
Old 04-15-2013, 08:02 PM   #28
wallyworld

yea fortunately i found another fanatic who will do it for free. so I will get OEM alarm coded, windows to go up with remote, euro corners.

So coding for xenon "in theory" will fix this projector/HID issue im having?
Old 04-15-2013, 08:03 PM   #29
NumbaOneNewb

In fact, a member had lost all remote functions on both his key, couldn't reinitialized them, and couldn't start car with one key. I was able to get the one key to start his car again but still lost all remote functions. I probably could have helped if i was there but unfortunately I couldn't.
Old 04-15-2013, 08:04 PM   #30
NumbaOneNewb

Not in theory, it will
Old 04-15-2013, 08:24 PM   #31
sillieidiot

but you may or may not lose your highs. if that guy is experienced enough, he'll be able to keep the highs for you too.

Old 04-15-2013, 09:45 PM   #32
NumbaOneNewb

Experienced or not you will lose your highs unless you retro bixenons. Only thing I can think of the most convenient is if you don't use your fogs, you can use them as a way to power the high beams

Last edited by NumbaOneNewb; 04-15-2013 at 09:46 PM.
Old 04-15-2013, 09:54 PM   #33
wallyworld

Quote:
Originally Posted by NumbaOneNewb View Post
Experienced or not you will lose your highs unless you retro bixenons. Only thing I can think of the most convenient is if you don't use your fogs, you can use them as a way to power the high beams
if I got the wire harness would this make the xenons work and high beams work too?

I'd like all my lights to work.
Old 04-15-2013, 11:03 PM   #34
sillieidiot

Quote:
yes, if you only do add the bixenon option. you have to do a little more programming to get the highs to work as well.

Old 04-15-2013, 11:11 PM   #35
sillieidiot

Quote:
Originally Posted by wallyworld View Post
if I got the wire harness would this make the xenons work and high beams work too?

I'd like all my lights to work.
you won't need a wiring harness. and it won't do anything btw lol anyways, just ask the fanatic that is doing the coding for you. if he is using NCS expert, he should be able to code it so that both the lows and highs work. coding for xenons (or bixenons) will get rid of the flickering as i stated.

don't listen NumbaOneNewb. although his comments are somewhat accurate, he's not reading or doesn't understand what we're trying to accomplish. if anything, he's making you more confused for no reason.

Old 04-15-2013, 11:20 PM   #36
sillieidiot

Quote:
First off, do you know how to code? No? Well the most simplest way to code your hids is with a thing called pa soft bmw scanner v1.4. I also recommend it for reading check engine lights. It will not code your corners to euro corners however. That requires much more advanced knowledge. The pa soft can be bought for under $30
just to clear this up. you can't code for euro corners period with that program. so even if you have advanced knowledge of that program it's not going to help you. you need another more advanced program. hence why i told him he needs to find someone that knows how to use NCS. which he already found. stop wasting his time and confusing him more.

Quote:
I believe that's correct. Now regarding coding. Whether you code the car for bixenon or not, your hid should come on. The difference is if coded add bixenon, you wouldn't need capacitors to stop the flickering because the car understands that. Seeing 35watt hids is totally normal. Not coding it will cause flickering but can be solved with capacitors. Now what light cancel error are you asking about

And the corners, US style corners will have them on with light switch on position 1 and 2. Euro style will not have them on except for signaling, which is how I have mine.
when you code for xenons/bixenons, it turns off the cold checks. so you don't have headlight warnings which causes the flickering. on some cars, if you don't code, the headlights don't come on at all. so you have to get this done.

the difference is, if you code for bixenons, you will lose your inner high beams. that is because OEM bixenon units, use a different plug that activates a shutter in the xenon low beams for the high beams. if it's coded for xenons, the function stays the same.

however, you can only code for regular xenons for cars up to mid 02. since he has an 03, it will only show the bixenon option, hence losing his highs. but you can also program it to keep the highs (another european option). that's only if the coder knows how to do it. hence why i told him to ask the coder.

Quote:
Stay with that. You can also activate the oem alarm that all US bmws have built already in it, make your lights flashduring llock unlock roll windows up with remote. If you feel more comfortable move to more advanced stuff

Word of caution. If you dont know what it does, Google it or ask. You may regret your actions and all the crying won't save your car
again, why are you making it hard for him? he's not doing it. and don't spread false information. THERE ARE NO US BMWS THAT COME WITH THE ALARM STANDARD. it was an option. however, they are all prewired for it. you can program the car to blink for locking/unlocking and for the clown nose to blink when locked. but there is no chirp, nor is there an alarm.

Old 04-16-2013, 07:11 PM   #37
wallyworld

k im going to code but I want to make sure i have everything wired right first. here are some stock pictures which show how I connected everything.

as for corner lights, im still on the fence on going to euros (if the coder can do that ) or getting some nice white bulbs? input would be appreciated.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Ballast.png
Views:	11
Size:	87.0 KB
ID:	500855   Click image for larger version

Name:	hid_bulb_connectors.png
Views:	6
Size:	100.8 KB
ID:	500856  

Last edited by wallyworld; 04-16-2013 at 07:14 PM.
Old 04-16-2013, 08:42 PM   #38
wallyworld

pics updated
Old 04-17-2013, 12:29 AM   #39
sillieidiot

yes the wiring is correct. as for the corners, it's whatever you like. technically it's illegal in the US not to have them on. I would just use an LED amber bulb or a white LED to try to match the angel eyes.

Old 04-17-2013, 07:28 AM   #40
wallyworld

any place i could possibly get the corners bulbs locally?