E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Bavarian Soundwerks' Mobile Electronics Forum

Bavarian Soundwerks' Mobile Electronics Forum
Have all your A/V and electronics questions answered here. Ipods, A/V, Radar Detectors Oh My!
Sponsored by Bavarian Soundwerks

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-16-2013, 01:56 AM   #1
razorwired

My Ride: 2002 325i
All 4 Bass speakers rear and front not working? Battery backwards???

After 2 years of not using my car I am trying to figure out how to fix this. This was a problem before I stopped using my car so it is not a problem from the time off. However this time period has fogged my mind. It is possible that it is connected to me hooking my battery up backwards a long time ago which fried my voltage regulator and alternator. The rest of the speakers work fine. There is very faint static that may be in tune to songs coming out of the rear subwoofers. I am not sure if anything is comi out of the front 2 subwoofers but definently not as pounding or loud as it should be and I suspect there is nothing or very faint at best. I have turned the base all the way up and faded the signal to the side and front or back to isolate the speakers but am certain all 4 subwoofers are not on while the rest seem normal. I am about 50 percent sure I started to notice it was not as bass or deep sounding after the the battery incident so am curious if you guys have a guess to the problem. Is there a fuse for the bass subwoofers that would not affect the rest. Is this fuse in the glove box or in the head unit itself. Thanks for the help.

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 04-16-2013, 02:04 AM   #2
NumbaOneNewb

My Ride: 2001 bmw 330ci
There's a radio fuse in there. I believe our cars have that diagram in there

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Bimmer App
Portland Metro: ECU updates, Euro tune, euro corner delete, air bag light, DSC light, cluster and any led color change, soldering work, transponders for keys, and all custom work related to computer or electronics.DIY AK90 A walk through on coding your mcu and transponders EWS3 How to make your own key (ak90 review)
NumbaOneNewb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 02:38 AM   #3
razorwired

Quote:
Originally Posted by NumbaOneNewb View Post
There's a radio fuse in there. I believe our cars have that diagram in there

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Bimmer App
My car it's missing the diagram sheet but I can try to find it online. Ancestors the radio works except for the subwoofers I am curious if there would be fuses for the subs specifically. I would think there would be just a single fuse but I don't know.
Old 04-16-2013, 02:43 AM   #4
NumbaOneNewb

Hmm... Very unlikely that all 4 quit working then agai. The sound system is pure crap. Even being pure crap I still doubt it. I'll give you a hand give me a sec
Portland Metro: ECU updates, Euro tune, euro corner delete, air bag light, DSC light, cluster and any led color change, soldering work, transponders for keys, and all custom work related to computer or electronics.DIY AK90 A walk through on coding your mcu and transponders EWS3 How to make your own key (ak90 review)
Old 04-16-2013, 02:47 AM   #5
NumbaOneNewb

this is the non hk system right? also, when you're saying that all 4 bass speakers aren't working, you're talking about the drivers right? located usually at the bottom of the front doors and on the rear deck as well.

Last edited by NumbaOneNewb; 04-16-2013 at 02:49 AM.
Old 04-16-2013, 02:50 AM   #6
NumbaOneNewb

check fuses 7 and 41
Old 04-16-2013, 05:17 AM   #7
razorwired

Yes the 2 large front lower speakers and the two behind the rear seat headrests. I will check those two fuses tomorrow. Thanks for looking that up. I will report what I find. Also yes this is the non hk system.

Last edited by razorwired; 04-16-2013 at 05:18 AM.
razorwired is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 07:17 AM   #8
lmr2wil

My Ride: '00 328Ci
Seeing as you're getting a faint hum, I doubt that it is a fuse. As it is an easy fix, I would certainly still check. However, if it turns out that the fuses are fine, I would look toward the amplifier itself. It is certainly possible that this was fried in the battery incident. If it was a used one from ebay or a breaker should be cheap.

Good luck,

Luke
lmr2wil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 09:04 AM   #9
NyC35AV

My Ride: 99' 323i zsp
Also check and make sure the cheap, paper woofers aren't blown out.
NyC35AV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 11:36 AM   #10
NumbaOneNewb

Yeah. What we're wondering is how is it that the system managed to focus it's wrath on all 4 drivers yet leave all others alone? It looked like a very specific damage. If it was because he shorted his system, wouldn't his radio and all his speakers take the hit too? I know this may sound retarded but is the hifi button lit up? Lol. Just figured I'd ask
Old 04-16-2013, 11:39 AM   #11
NumbaOneNewb

Quote:
Originally Posted by razorwired View Post
My car it's missing the diagram sheet but I can try to find it online. Ancestors the radio works except for the subwoofers I am curious if there would be fuses for the subs specifically. I would think there would be just a single fuse but I don't know.
Plus those technically aren't subs. The subs are usually on the rear deck
Old 04-16-2013, 11:40 AM   #12
BonesM80

My Ride: 02 330ci
Sounds like just those 4 channels on the amp are fried......weird
BonesM80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 12:19 PM   #13
razorwired

Quote:
Originally Posted by BonesM80 View Post
Sounds like just those 4 channels on the amp are fried......weird
Is the amp in the cd deck? Just woke up, will go check the hi fi switch in a minute and answer the rest of the questions. Thanks for the help guys.
Old 04-16-2013, 12:33 PM   #14
razorwired

I don't know what the hi fi switch is but the right scream says rds pty. also it says tone fine ok when scanning through the music button
Old 04-16-2013, 12:46 PM   #15
NumbaOneNewb

No amp is in trunk behind left trunk liner. Hifi button is a little speaker button where dsc button us. Try playing a cd
Old 04-19-2013, 01:24 AM   #16
razorwired

My car does not appear to have a hi fi button next to the dsc. I checked the fuses but they are fine. I am going to replace the amp to see if that resolves it. Does anyone know if I can use the Harmon kardon amp in a non hk system car? Found one at the local junk yard for 40 dollars. Thanks for the help everyone and I will report back once the amp is installed.
Old 04-19-2013, 07:06 AM   #17
BonesM80

My Ride: 02 330ci
You can use it just make sure the clip is the same. You might have to cut the clip from the junkyard, but there pretty similiar amps
BonesM80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 06:02 PM   #18
Jeremy Bavsound
Sponsor

My Ride: Bavsound
More than likely it is a fried amplifier related to connecting the battery terminals incorrectly, and it somehow fried the outputs for the Midbass, but not the Midrange/Tweeters. The amplifiers do just fail on their own time to time so that is a possibility as well!

Bavsound | Audio Solutions for YOUR BMW
www.bavsound.com | 404.381.1800

Jeremy Bavsound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 09:22 PM   #19
scottjoh

My Ride: '99 323i & '02 540i
Quote:
Originally Posted by razorwired View Post
My car does not appear to have a hi fi button next to the dsc. I checked the fuses but they are fine. I am going to replace the amp to see if that resolves it. Does anyone know if I can use the Harmon kardon amp in a non hk system car? Found one at the local junk yard for 40 dollars. Thanks for the help everyone and I will report back once the amp is installed.
The HK amp is an 8-channel amp and the original amp in your car (non-HK) is a 10-channel amp. They are wired almost the same with, I believe, the two tweeters wired in parallel with two small midrange speakers. I think the HK system uses a passive crossover on the back of the tweeter and midrange speakers to split up the frequency range so it doesn't overload the amp. The active crossovers and eq settings in the two amps are also different. You can plug a HK amp into a car with the 10-channel system and it will work, which I have done, but, I didn't want to risk blowing a tweeter since I'm not sure there is a passive crossover on it to protect it from lower frequencies which are normally actively filtered out in the 10-channel amp.
scottjoh is offline   Reply With Quote