E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > The Tire Rack's Tire & Wheel Forum

The Tire Rack's Tire & Wheel Forum
Use this forum to discuss anything in relation to wheels to tires to offsets.
Sponsored by The Tire Rack

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-16-2013, 08:18 AM   #1
Hulett17

My Ride: 2003 BMW 325xi
Aftermarket rims

I have 4 Enkie Klamp 18" rims that I use for summer rims on my '03 325xi and bought Falken ziex ZE912 225/40R18 tires to go on them last June ran them for 20,000 miles then put my winter set of rims and tires on once snow fell. Went to get my summer set put on yesterday and am told my tires are to bald to put back on. I paid $700 for the tires and ran them for only 6 months and am told they are to bald. I know BMW are stances or something like that. How do I know if my rims are causing this or what else could cause this problem? Help please!
Hulett17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 04-16-2013, 09:27 AM   #2
HacksawMark
Modded ///Member

My Ride: 2014 Subaru XV
Your tires came with a 40,000 mile warranty. If you only have 20,000 miles on them AND all 4 tires are equally bald, then you may have a defective set. If that is the case, you'd have a pro-rated warranty for 50% of the tire. Some places will warranty the tire for 100% during the first year under certain conditions. I'd take them back to where you bought them and inquire.

Do the tires look bald? How much tread is left on them? Worn tires are those which have 2/32 of tread or less. Not sure I understand what you said about BMW stances. Your wheels won't be the cause. With only 20,000 miles, it's either defective tires or your suspension components are either worn or severely out of alignment. Have you had any work done to your suspension like lowering it etc...?

Last edited by HacksawMark; 04-16-2013 at 09:30 AM.
HacksawMark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 09:37 AM   #3
Hulett17

I bought the tires at a place called Tire Warehouse and they tell me I have no warranty which I find very hard to believe. By "stanced" I mean the tires are some what tilted in someone told me is how BMWs are? No I haven't done anything as far as suspension I haven't done any sort of modifications at all. They are all worn on the insides of the tires but only lasting 20,000 miles is ridiculous.
Old 04-16-2013, 09:49 AM   #4
HacksawMark
Modded ///Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hulett17 View Post
I bought the tires at a place called Tire Warehouse and they tell me I have no warranty which I find very hard to believe. By "stanced" I mean the tires are some what tilted in someone told me is how BMWs are? No I haven't done anything as far as suspension I haven't done any sort of modifications at all. They are all worn on the insides of the tires but only lasting 20,000 miles is ridiculous.
Okay, check your paperwork you received with the tires. Also check the Falken website for more info. If they are wearing out on the insides, you have a suspension problem of some type. Your wheels/tires should not be tilted in. Are all four tires wearing on the inside? This type of wear will not be covered by warranty. Did you have an alignment performed when you purchased the tires? If so, who performed it?
Old 04-16-2013, 09:55 AM   #5
HacksawMark
Modded ///Member

Also does your 325xi have the base suspension or the sport suspension? What size wheel came with the car?

Last edited by HacksawMark; 04-16-2013 at 09:58 AM.
Old 04-16-2013, 10:07 AM   #6
Hulett17

Yes I had an alignment done when I bought all 4 new tires. Yes they all seem to be more worn on the inside then the outside. Is there any way to know the difference in suspensions? When I bought the car it only had the aftermarket wheels and I purchased a set of wheels and winter tires off Craigslist.
Old 04-16-2013, 10:11 AM   #7
HacksawMark
Modded ///Member

Your vin number would reveal that. There's a site where you can do that, I don't remember where. When I'm back at my computer, I'll try to find it. Meanwhile, do a search on the forum for vin decoder.

06 Quartz Blue 325Ci - Sold
Old 04-16-2013, 10:15 AM   #8
HacksawMark
Modded ///Member

In looking at the Tire Warehouse website, I did see your tires but some had warranty while others did not. I initially looked up the tire on the Discount Tire site which where I got the warranty info. The difference in warranty info could be whether you got H rated tires or V rated.

06 Quartz Blue 325Ci - Sold
Old 04-16-2013, 10:32 AM   #9
Hulett17

I looked up the VIN and it says Front Suspension: Ind Rear Suspension: Ind. so I'm assuming that means its not sport.
Old 04-16-2013, 12:07 PM   #10
VMRWheels
Sponsor

My Ride: 1:25 Scale Enzo
Send a message via AIM to VMRWheels Send a message via Yahoo to VMRWheels
Sounds like your toe is out of spec. If that's the case, a tire warranty will not cover something like that.

Post pics of your tires though, just to be sure.

Facebook! | Flickr! | Blog! | Instagram!
New for 2014: V702 Multispoke | V810 Flow Form

Last edited by VMRWheels; 04-16-2013 at 12:07 PM.
VMRWheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 12:11 PM   #11
Hulett17

I will put up pictures as soon as I can. What do you mean toe is out of spec though?
Old 04-16-2013, 12:12 PM   #12
VMRWheels
Sponsor

Your car comes with certain adjustments so you can change your alignment. Toe is one of those adjustments, and if it is not within factory specs, your tires will wear unevenly.

Old 04-16-2013, 12:15 PM   #13
Hulett17

Where can I find what it should be? Or would an alignment solve that problem?
Old 04-16-2013, 12:19 PM   #14
VMRWheels
Sponsor

The alignment shop would need to verify whether your car was out of spec or not. You may have gotten an alignment right when you got the tires, but your alignment can change depending on the conditions. I generally try to get two alignments a year, to make sure that my toe doesn't get knocked out of spec.

Old 04-16-2013, 12:21 PM   #15
HacksawMark
Modded ///Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hulett17 View Post
I looked up the VIN and it says Front Suspension: Ind Rear Suspension: Ind. so I'm assuming that means its not sport.
Turns out none of the online decoders will tell you if you have the sport pkg or not. Best thing to do is call a BMW dealer and they can decode it for you.
Old 04-16-2013, 12:26 PM   #16
HacksawMark
Modded ///Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by VMRWheels View Post
The alignment shop would need to verify whether your car was out of spec or not. You may have gotten an alignment right when you got the tires, but your alignment can change depending on the conditions. I generally try to get two alignments a year, to make sure that my toe doesn't get knocked out of spec.
You may also have some worn suspension components. How many miles are on the car and do you know if the FCABs and RTABs were ever replaced? I lean towards your alignment simply being off as mentioned but I would have your suspension components checked out before investing in new shoes.