E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > Health & Fitness

Health & Fitness
Discuss any topics related to heath and fitness here.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-16-2013, 04:19 PM   #1
dabears

My Ride: 2003 BMW M3
Being Ineffective

This blog post had me laughing pretty hard...

http://www.aworkoutroutine.com/ineffective-workouts/

I don't know about anyone else, but I went through EXACTLY what this dude did, and almost in the exact same stages too.

He has a pretty legit site if anyone hasn't seen it before either.
Old 04-16-2013, 05:47 PM   #2
M3Inline6
Ain't buying any more cars!

My Ride: M4 and Range Rover S
Funny read!
M3Inline6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 05:58 PM   #3
kushy

My Ride: automatic m3
tldr
kushy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 06:07 PM   #4
SeanC

My Ride: 330i
the infamous whatever the heck I want to do today routine

Sent from my SGH-I997 using Bimmer App

Sapphire Black MetallicNatural BrownSilver Cube e46 330i ZHP/ZCW/6MT - Sold
HellrotDove Grey e36 ///M3 - RIP
Alpine WhiteTanSand High Gloss e46 330i SunRoofLess/5MT
SeanC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 09:54 PM   #5
z00

My Ride: E46 M3 Manual
Interesting read. But if you count the sets done in four-day upper/lower split, they're lower than sets done in a four-day BB one muscle per day split (my current split).

The only advantage of upper/lower split is more muscle stimulation (each muscle group gets hit twice per week). This is good for beginners. I don't see how an intermediate to advanced level person would benefit from it. 5-6 sets are not going to exhaust any major muscle group (chest, hams, back,etc...).

In most exercise books research had shown you need 12-20 sets per muscle group to build muscle. With upper/lower split work gets split into two sessions per week.

The question is which is better for muscle gain, one session of 12-20 sets, or two sessions of 5-6 sets per week?
z00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 10:03 PM   #6
dabears

I actually didn't care for his recommended workout, doesn't even have deadlifts. But the cycles in the first two parts I definitely went through!

And to be honest, I would say 10-12 sets done over a period of two days (with the proper nutrition/surplus) would be more effective at stimulating muscle gain than one session of 12-20 sets. Moreso from a nutrition/workout frequency combo than muscle stimulus. That's just pure opinion, not scientific fact... but it makes sense to me splitting it into two days would be better.
Old 04-16-2013, 11:49 PM   #7
z00

I did go through the cycle as well lol

I think for 4 day BB split, most people including myself don't have enough volume or keep workout intense enough to see results. Once I figured out what works for me I see good results from it, gains could be faster though time wise.

At both of gyms I worked out at, for beginners trainers recommend upper/lower split, for more intermediate/advanced people trainers recommend either a BB split (one muscle per day), or more of a CF workout style.

Important point is to pick a routine and stick with it for at least 3 months. If you see no results switch. That's what I do.
Old 04-17-2013, 12:56 AM   #8
bostonsc4

My Ride: BMW 323i
I don't know, I feel like he makes a lot of good points, but a lot of generalization. I really enjoyed reading that, it was great to read. However, I feel like what he's saying are general guidelines to avoid if you want real gains. Anyways, I feel as if its relative to each person though... I like to workout 5 days a week and pound the **** out of each muscle group once per day and rest the weekend and do it again the next week, and I've seen amazing gains in not necessarily size, but strength. Size has come a long way too, but more so in the strength department. My split includes all 3 major compound movements, such as squat, dl, and bench. Its highly isolation based too. Muscles are muscles, they're going to get stronger and grow if you isolate them and work them. I suppose its just a matter of how you break down the tissue and how you supplement your muscles to get the best results for you. I like my routines, and I like the gains I've received by doing some of the things he calls ineffective.
bostonsc4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 02:10 AM   #9
M3Inline6
Ain't buying any more cars!

My Ride: M4 and Range Rover S
Quote:
Originally Posted by z00 View Post
Interesting read. But if you count the sets done in four-day upper/lower split, they're lower than sets done in a four-day BB one muscle per day split (my current split).

The only advantage of upper/lower split is more muscle stimulation (each muscle group gets hit twice per week). This is good for beginners. I don't see how an intermediate to advanced level person would benefit from it. 5-6 sets are not going to exhaust any major muscle group (chest, hams, back,etc...).

In most exercise books research had shown you need 12-20 sets per muscle group to build muscle. With upper/lower split work gets split into two sessions per week.

The question is which is better for muscle gain, one session of 12-20 sets, or two sessions of 5-6 sets per week?

I think you're generalizing as much as the writer in the OP's link, and I think you're wrong on many points. 5-6 sets of the right movement performed at the right weight with the right intensity is MORE THAN ENOUGH to exhaust a major muscle group. An intermediate/advanced lifter CAN benefit from hitting a body part twice a week. After all, I fall into that category and I squat twice a week and bench twice a week (currently). Lastly, I almost NEVER recommend a typical 5-day split.
M3Inline6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 07:35 AM   #10
SeanC

My Ride: 330i
Quote:

Care to link to said research? 12-20 sets a week per muscle group sounds a bit excessive IMO.

Sapphire Black MetallicNatural BrownSilver Cube e46 330i ZHP/ZCW/6MT - Sold
HellrotDove Grey e36 ///M3 - RIP
Alpine WhiteTanSand High Gloss e46 330i SunRoofLess/5MT
SeanC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 09:11 AM   #11
Mike Larry

My Ride: 575 nello
lol i might as well have written that article myself. i still remember back when i was a teenager, i'd move from machine to machine and pick whichever one targeted the parts of my body that i felt needed the most work
Old 04-17-2013, 09:12 AM   #12
DylloS

My Ride: nothing
Quote:
Originally Posted by bostonsc4 View Post
I don't know, I feel like he makes a lot of good points, but a lot of generalization. I really enjoyed reading that, it was great to read. However, I feel like what he's saying are general guidelines to avoid if you want real gains. Anyways, I feel as if its relative to each person though... I like to workout 5 days a week and pound the **** out of each muscle group once per day and rest the weekend and do it again the next week, and I've seen amazing gains in not necessarily size, but strength. Size has come a long way too, but more so in the strength department. My split includes all 3 major compound movements, such as squat, dl, and bench. Its highly isolation based too. Muscles are muscles, they're going to get stronger and grow if you isolate them and work them. I suppose its just a matter of how you break down the tissue and how you supplement your muscles to get the best results for you. I like my routines, and I like the gains I've received by doing some of the things he calls ineffective.
I'd say at your age you'd have even more gains doing a split like I did or dabears. You don't need to rest each muscle 6 days. You're probably not hitting them often enough.
DylloS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 09:17 AM   #13
dabears

From everything I've read and sifted through all the bs, I've taken one thing away. There seems to be a "magical" set/rep target combination of 24-32 reps. If you are in this range, that is most likely plenty to stimulate muscle growth. 3 x 8, 3 x 10, 4 x 6, 3 x 6-8, 5x5 etc.. (most of the recommended straight set ranges) all fall within in this target level.

My current routine:

day 1
squats, 4 sets for 26 reps
rom dl, 3 sets for 20 reps
calf raises, 3 sets for 45 reps total (bit of an anomaly since its calves)

Total of 10 sets

day 2
bench, 4 sets for 26 reps
incline db, 3 sets for ~21 reps
pushups for burn, I get to 35

Total of 7 sets + pushups

day 3
deadlift, 2 sets for 11 reps (another anamoly, I don't believe in multiple sets / high reps of dl for most... very taxing exercise)
OHP, 3 sets for 18 reps (small muscle, gets hit well)
chinups, 3 sets for 20-24 reps
barbell row, 3 sets for 24 reps

Total of 28 sets per week...

I'm always looking for ways to make my routine better and welcome any opinions, but it is definitely based more on the 24-32 rep range combined with specific compound exercises than worrying about total # of sets. If you are in the 24-32 range, that means your sets/reps will have had to work together to achieve that total. I also use reverse pyramid training for squats, OHP, bench to get the most out of the sets.

Last edited by dabears; 04-17-2013 at 09:42 AM.
dabears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 10:03 AM   #14
z00

We both could be wrong or right. At the end science and studies have something to teach us.

http://anthonycolpo.com/which-is-bet...-per-exercise/

http://www.jopp.us/journal/free/5-1sets.pdf

Has set volume ranges
http://www.muscleandstrength.com/art...s-is-more.html

Great point from 1st link, not all people respond the same way to exercises. Each person needs to find what works for them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3Inline6 View Post
I think you're generalizing as much as the writer in the OP's link, and I think you're wrong on many points. 5-6 sets of the right movement performed at the right weight with the right intensity is MORE THAN ENOUGH to exhaust a major muscle group. An intermediate/advanced lifter CAN benefit from hitting a body part twice a week. After all, I fall into that category and I squat twice a week and bench twice a week (currently). Lastly, I almost NEVER recommend a typical 5-day split.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanC View Post
Care to link to said research? 12-20 sets a week per muscle group sounds a bit excessive IMO.

Last edited by z00; 04-17-2013 at 10:17 AM.
Old 04-17-2013, 10:08 AM   #15
Mike Larry

^(referring to dabears) do you feel like you get enough work in from that split? i easily do 2-3 times that amount, just because i wouldnt feel like i did enough if i followed your routine

Last edited by Mike Larry; 04-17-2013 at 10:08 AM.
Mike Larry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 10:19 AM   #16
sweetbro858

My Ride: BMW
I get by with a little help from my lying tricep extensions

Last edited by sweetbro858; 04-17-2013 at 10:20 AM.
sweetbro858 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 10:20 AM   #17
dabears

with the compound exercises combined with reverse pyramid style (theres also warmup sets of 5/4/3 increasing weight) I'm gassed at the end. I've also seen weekly results since I made it back in december, if that were to change I'd have to reevaluate.

Since I believe in the 70/30 diet to workout in regards to importance (or somewhere around that), I try and keep my workouts to 3 days a week, simple & effective. It's easy to fit into a busy lifestyle, because I found I wasn't able to get to the gym consistently enough on the 4 day / high volume splits.

If I were able to clean I would tweak it significantly as well. Someone linked me to wendlers 5/3/1 program and I was happy to see I had a ton in common with it, albeit a lot more exercises/work than the barebones program.
Old 04-17-2013, 10:28 AM   #18
dabears

Quote:
We both could be wrong or right. At the end science and studies have something to teach us.
interesting first link, I don't like the study design for numerous reasons but mainly because diet wasn't controlled (and in my opinion, completely flaws the study if its referring to muscular gain) but it does have some merit. Essentially it proves that multiple sets are far superior to single sets. I think this is common sense though.

Reading through those, do you notice something in common? I did...24-32 rep range for muscular hypertrophy... To me it seems like the "golden ratio" of weightlifting lol
Old 04-17-2013, 10:37 AM   #19
Mike Larry

for a long time, i tried to figure out the "perfect" split or routine or a magic number of exercises or sets to do, and i finally got sick of it all last year. nowadays, i just go into the gym, pick a body part that isnt hurting, and beat the everliving sh1t out of it, without much regard to numbers of sets or reps. in the interest of efficiency, i start off with compound exercises (bench for chest, deads for back, squats for legs, etc.), but finish off with more isolating exercises (e.g. flies, raises, machines, etc.) until i just feel like i can't bear to do anymore.

i feel like it's worked for me (and takes away a lot of the headache of planning your workouts), but i feel like i've been hit by a truck most mornings

Last edited by Mike Larry; 04-17-2013 at 10:38 AM.
Mike Larry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 10:53 AM   #20
DME46

My Ride: has free candy.
This is why I now squat every other day and try to bench twice a week. Matter of fact, I don't think I perform any compound lift only once every week.

embrace this moment
remember
we are eternal
all this pain is an illusion
DME46 is offline   Reply With Quote