E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > Health & Fitness

Health & Fitness
Discuss any topics related to heath and fitness here.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-17-2013, 11:04 AM   #21
DylloS

My Ride: nothing
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Larry View Post
for a long time, i tried to figure out the "perfect" split or routine or a magic number of exercises or sets to do, and i finally got sick of it all last year. nowadays, i just go into the gym, pick a body part that isnt hurting, and beat the everliving sh1t out of it, without much regard to numbers of sets or reps. in the interest of efficiency, i start off with compound exercises (bench for chest, deads for back, squats for legs, etc.), but finish off with more isolating exercises (e.g. flies, raises, machines, etc.) until i just feel like i can't bear to do anymore.

i feel like it's worked for me (and takes away a lot of the headache of planning your workouts), but i feel like i've been hit by a truck most mornings
You probably over do it. I wouldn't just do what doesn't hurt. Most of the times I go to squat my legs still hurt a little bit. Make a routine and do it.
DylloS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 11:16 AM   #22
sweetbro858

My Ride: BMW
dabears needs to post up his accessory lifts
Old 04-17-2013, 11:21 AM   #23
dabears

My Ride: 2003 BMW M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetbro858 View Post
dabears needs to post up his accessory lifts
lol what I posted is my entire workout

I used to do like 8-10 exercises a workout, 4 days a week. At least I learned all the different lifts
Old 04-17-2013, 11:23 AM   #24
dabears

mike larry, I'm a creature of habit. I would fail miserably doing what you do... not to say you will. workouts are so unique to each individual imo. thats why looking up programs online is risky business, what works for one may not work for anyone else

i need a plan for everything in my life lol, just how I operate
Old 04-17-2013, 11:30 AM   #25
sweetbro858

Quote:
Originally Posted by dabears View Post
lol what I posted is my entire workout

I used to do like 8-10 exercises a workout, 4 days a week. At least I learned all the different lifts

We pretty much do the exact same routine, I just add in lying tricep extensions.

U SHOULD TOO
Old 04-17-2013, 11:42 AM   #26
dabears

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetbro858 View Post

We pretty much do the exact same routine, I just add in lying tricep extensions.

U SHOULD TOO
pushups
Old 04-17-2013, 01:05 PM   #27
M3Inline6
Ain't buying any more cars!

My Ride: M4 and RRS (sold!)
Quote:
Originally Posted by z00 View Post
We both could be wrong or right. At the end science and studies have something to teach us.

http://anthonycolpo.com/which-is-bet...-per-exercise/

http://www.jopp.us/journal/free/5-1sets.pdf

Has set volume ranges
http://www.muscleandstrength.com/art...s-is-more.html

Great point from 1st link, not all people respond the same way to exercises. Each person needs to find what works for them.

There are too many variables for any one approach to be "the proven best", which is why I countered your original statement.
M3Inline6 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 01:26 PM   #28
sweetbro858

Quote:
pushups
Do them once a week and feel dat soreness.

Martin wants you to bro
Old 04-17-2013, 01:28 PM   #29
z00

My Ride: E46 M3 Manual
24-32 reps, twice per week (you do them once a week don't you?). I aim for 90-110 reps for big muscles, 60-70 for small muscles. Can be done either twice a week or once a week, does not matter as long as the volume is reached.

For guys that work out major muscle groups twice a week. How do you do it? Do you take something to speed up recovery? Or you're not working out hard enough. I'm sore for at least 4 days post leg/back workout. Rest of muscle groups yes I could train them twice a week but recovery is just as important as working out.

I cannot believe some people do DLs and squats on the same day. Does not make sense. Even front and back squats on the same day are becoming a problem for me.

Quote:
interesting first link, I don't like the study design for numerous reasons but mainly because diet wasn't controlled (and in my opinion, completely flaws the study if its referring to muscular gain) but it does have some merit. Essentially it proves that multiple sets are far superior to single sets. I think this is common sense though.

Reading through those, do you notice something in common? I did...24-32 rep range for muscular hypertrophy... To me it seems like the "golden ratio" of weightlifting lol

Last edited by z00; 04-17-2013 at 01:34 PM.
z00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 01:30 PM   #30
z00

lool sweetbro

Martin and you want a piece of that white Canadian

Last edited by z00; 04-17-2013 at 01:49 PM.
Old 04-17-2013, 02:00 PM   #31
DylloS

Quote:
24-32 reps, twice per week (you do them once a week don't you?). I aim for 90-110 reps for big muscles, 60-70 for small muscles. Can be done either twice a week or once a week, does not matter as long as the volume is reached.

For guys that work out major muscle groups twice a week. How do you do it? Do you take something to speed up recovery? Or you're not working out hard enough. I'm sore for at least 4 days post leg/back workout. Rest of muscle groups yes I could train them twice a week but recovery is just as important as working out.

I cannot believe some people do DLs and squats on the same day. Does not make sense. Even front and back squats on the same day are becoming a problem for me.
Completely disagree. While I believe it works well for some I think most people can benefit from more frequent lifting rather than super long sets. For some reason we're all taught to not workout a muscle more than once a week and if we're sore, forget it. Let it rest.

You don't need as much rest as you think. To me it sounds like you have a problem with running out of gas.

Last edited by DylloS; 04-17-2013 at 02:03 PM.
Old 04-17-2013, 02:05 PM   #32
dabears

lol I actually enjoy triceps extensions, and I may add in an arms exercise once a week when I'm done my spring cut.

Any particular reason why you have those rep targets? I've stopped thinking of "what muscle does this train" and just made sure I included all the main lifts + accessory compounds with sufficient volume for growth (which I judge based on results).

Watching Solly do the bear complex made me think... that would be a great workout 3x a week if done heavy. It hits everything lol.

I can see how you could do a squat workout and then a deadlift workout the very next day, before the DOMS sets in... but once I hit the two day mark (tomorrow for me) my legs are stiff as a board and sore, which would be unsafe to deadlift with. And I'd be way too fatigued to lift optimally doing them both in the same workout... but perhaps others have superior muscular endurance.

Edit: maybe bear complex doesn't have direct chest movement but I'm sure its hit indirectly moving that barbell all over

Last edited by dabears; 04-17-2013 at 02:07 PM.
dabears is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 02:26 PM   #33
z00

This is a great read, but for our discussion check out #9. Total body workouts won't give you the physique you're looking for. Splits is where it's at.

http://www.t-nation.com/free_online_...g_training&cr=

I see bear complex as a great conditioning/strength workout. Honestly, most people will not be doing their max because there is a front & behind head shoulder press, people will have to use lighter weights to get through the whole move. Legs & back won't be pushed enough. You need to exhaust the muscle.
Old 04-17-2013, 03:13 PM   #34
DylloS

Quote:
This is a great read, but for our discussion check out #9. Total body workouts won't give you the physique you're looking for. Splits is where it's at.

I see bear complex as a great conditioning/strength workout. Honestly, most people will not be doing their max because there is a front & behind head shoulder press, people will have to use lighter weights to get through the whole move. Legs & back won't be pushed enough. You need to exhaust the muscle.
No one said total body training is the way to go. Most of the people here that you think are doing "full body" are doing multiple body parts. I think the author is referring to those people literally doing full body 3 times a week.

I wouldn't call my training "full body"

Monday
Front Squat
Overhead Press
Pull up/Chin up
Conditioning workout related to the two big lifts. Usually more leg stuff and shoulder work.

Tuesday
Power Clean
Ring Dips
Conditioning work. Usually fast hang cleans and something else paired up

Wed off

Thursday
Front Squat
Bench Press
Ring Dips
Conditioning related to big lifts. More leg stuff, more shoulder/chest work

Friday
Deadlift
Pull up or chin up
Conditioning related to deadlift. Mosre back stuff and conditioning.
Old 04-17-2013, 03:20 PM   #35
DylloS

Quote:

I just read the second part of your post.

Go do the bear complex and tell me your muscle is not exhausted.
Old 04-17-2013, 03:40 PM   #36
z00

You do two muscle groups per workout session which is different from upper/lower body split, the original one in article we were discussing.

I see you only workout legs/back twice a week. It's funny because these two muscle groups I can only workout once a week as I would not fully recovered. Rest of muscle group I can do twice a week. Soon I might switch to two muscle groups per session to vary my workouts.

I did try bear complex last time, my shoulders and forearms where getting tired, my legs and back did not feel much because the weight was not heavy. I did it with 95lbs BB. I would rather do squats, DLs, OHPs separately to use enough weights for each exercise. Don't get me wrong, it's a great conditioning workout, but my goal is to gain muscle mass.
Old 04-17-2013, 03:52 PM   #37
sweetbro858

Quote:
lool sweetbro

Martin and you want a piece of that white Canadian
Who wouldn't want a piece of dabears?

Old 04-17-2013, 05:06 PM   #38
M3Inline6
Ain't buying any more cars!

My Ride: M4 and RRS (sold!)
Quote:

z00, you need not believe everything you read. You are way off!

I also find it funny that you even had to ask "If we're working out hard enough". I found myself saying, "Is this dude serious??" You're a noob dude! Many of us workout at intensity levels that you aren't even close to achieving yet. We can train larger muscle groups more than once a week for a variety of reasons, but I don't have the time to list all of the variables that make that possible. Talk less, lift more!

Quote:

Quote:
I see you only workout legs/back twice a week. It's funny because these two muscle groups I can only workout once a week as I would not fully recovered. Rest of muscle group I can do twice a week. Soon I might switch to two muscle groups per session to vary my workouts.

So are you asserting that because he can workout twice and you can only achieve one workout, that he isn't workout out as hard as you are? Laughable! What if he eats better than you do? Eats more than you do? Sleeps more than you do? Just naturally recovers faster than you do? Maybe his muscles are more resilient than yours? And the list of possibilities goes on........

Last edited by M3Inline6; 04-17-2013 at 05:13 PM.
M3Inline6 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 09:35 PM   #39
z00

That's why we're debating, no one knows it all including you. I read and discuss here to figure out what's right and what's wrong. I learned a lot from this forum.

You guys better be lifting the weights you're lifting because you have been lifting for a long time. Yes, I'm not as experienced as some of you. But I don't claim I know everything.

Yes, variables you listed make a big difference. As you may have noticed, I was speaking for myself and my recovery speed. Each person is different. There are guys who have been lifting for years and they cannot do 15 pullups or 15 dips. Everybody is different and has their weaknesses and strengths.

Given the timeframe I have been lifting, I'm happy with my progress. I hope you're too.

Peace out!

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3Inline6 View Post
z00, you need not believe everything you read. You are way off!

I also find it funny that you even had to ask "If we're working out hard enough". I found myself saying, "Is this dude serious??" You're a noob dude! Many of us workout at intensity levels that you aren't even close to achieving yet. We can train larger muscle groups more than once a week for a variety of reasons, but I don't have the time to list all of the variables that make that possible. Talk less, lift more!

So are you asserting that because he can workout twice and you can only achieve one workout, that he isn't workout out as hard as you are? Laughable! What if he eats better than you do? Eats more than you do? Sleeps more than you do? Just naturally recovers faster than you do? Maybe his muscles are more resilient than yours? And the list of possibilities goes on........

Last edited by z00; 04-17-2013 at 09:36 PM.