E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 04-17-2013, 12:57 PM   #21
pleiades

My Ride: M52TU
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mango View Post
More good info. Wondering how rebuilders get away with just replacing the bearings and a new coat of paint and maybe brushes.

I will caution against replacing the VR though while still inside the car. The screws are of very soft material (brass maybe?) and strip very easily as they are very tight. So I recommend taking it out of the car to remove the VR so you can visually match the correct size screwdriver and apply the appropriate amount of torque at the right angle. Even off the car they started to strip!! luckily I used a bigger screwdriver and they came off easily with minimal scarring.

The VR I bought was Bosch and only $37!!
Well, on my alt the regulator mounting screws are steel but you know, if space limitations are a factor in how well you can replace the regulator with the unit on the car, removal seems like a good option.

Just bear in mind that some people will also have problems with alt removal/re-installation and the risk of damaging other things much more serious ... e.g., cracking the aluminum alternator mount on the OFH by trying to use force against tight tolerances, or being unable to de-tension the serpentine belt tensioner without stripping the pulley spindle bolt.... etc etc.
pleiades is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 12:59 PM   #22
Mango
Grand Superpatriot Sport+

My Ride: M54B30
Quote:
Originally Posted by pleiades View Post
Well, on my alt the regulator mounting screws are steel but you know, if space limitations are a factor in how well you can replace the regulator with the unit on the car, removal seems like a good option.

Just bear in mind that some people will also have problems with alt removal/re-installation and the risk of damaging other things much more serious ... e.g., cracking the aluminum alternator mount on the OFH by trying to use force against tight tolerances, or being unable to de-tension the serpentine belt tensioner without stripping the pulley spindle bolt.... etc etc.
You are right. In those cases, I would recommend a mechanic for those people!

OVER A MILLION VIEWS
Mango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 03:29 PM   #23
David McMahon

My Ride: 15/Dec/98 E46 328i
Mango if successful perhaps worth refurbishing some Alternators for other people as a business?

Also I'm sorry my previous comment not the best I was just eluding to the need to really strip it down and see what bearing it *actually* uses. Perhaps in the factory they have different bearings for different years of manufacture or even different for each batch?
David McMahon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 03:43 PM   #24
Mango

Quote:
Originally Posted by David McMahon View Post
Mango if successful perhaps worth refurbishing some Alternators for other people as a business?

Also I'm sorry my previous comment not the best I was just eluding to the need to really strip it down and see what bearing it *actually* uses. Perhaps in the factory they have different bearings for different years of manufacture or even different for each batch?
Not at all. No interest in alternators as a business whatsoever.

OVER A MILLION VIEWS
Old 04-17-2013, 08:07 PM   #25
David McMahon

My Ride: 15/Dec/98 E46 328i
Quote:
Not at all. No interest in alternators as a business whatsoever.
Ok, will get the sub and hope to hear you get your alt refurbed
David McMahon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 11:49 PM   #26
Mango

I did a little more looking and verified the E46 Bosch 120A alternator does in fact use the bearing sizes I listed. The Bosch alternator part# is 0123515022. So this Bimmerfest article DOES apply to our E46s that use the Bosch 120A alternator that has the# 0123515022 on it.

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=454325

OVER A MILLION VIEWS
Old 04-20-2013, 01:44 AM   #27
pleiades

My Ride: M52TU
Quote:
... The Bosch alternator part# is 0123515022...
Good, that's the same P/N for the one in my '99 528i.
pleiades is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 10:43 PM   #28
dslboomer

My Ride: 2001 BMW 330I
Quote:
Eh I'm not trying to save money. It's a project for fun. I know what's involved with an alternator. I don't need any lessons or advice. I know exactly what I'm getting into.

Moving on
So, it has been 5 months since you posted this.
Have not finished job yet or care to give a feedback to this kind of post?

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthr...ght=alternator
dslboomer is offline   Reply With Quote