E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > General Off-Topic

General Off-Topic
Everything not about BMWs. Posts must be "primetime" safe and in good taste. You must be logged in to see sub-forums.
Click here to browse all new posts.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-16-2013, 10:13 PM   #61
Sentaruu

My Ride: Xterra
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattcarle21 View Post
I'm guessing you didn't ace the analogy part of the SAT.
explain.

its asking how easy it is to make a lawful object unlawful...or did u completely miss that?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grande D View Post

Rights are conditional. Just look at the 1st amendment.
remember that when your car gets illegally searched at your next traffic stop.

Last edited by Sentaruu; 04-16-2013 at 10:16 PM.
Sentaruu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 10:14 PM   #62
NFRs2000nyc

My Ride: 2003 FormulaRedS2000
Quote:
Absolutely all of this.

Rights are conditional. Just look at the 1st amendment.
Fail. The law ALLOWS a person in texas to open carry a rifle. Your post is irrelevant.
Old 04-16-2013, 10:15 PM   #63
NFRs2000nyc

Since he was on a hiking trail, do you think he would have been harrassed if he was carrying this?

What's the difference between this and an AR?
Old 04-16-2013, 10:18 PM   #64
Grande D

My Ride: Whiiiite BMW!
Quote:
Originally Posted by NFRs2000nyc View Post
Fail. The law ALLOWS a person in texas to open carry a rifle. Your post is irrelevant.
Re-read what I said. This guy wants fiscal legal support because the officer clearly did something illegal under current laws.

The guy with the rifle also clearly freaked some people out otherwise the cop would not even be there. Since I think swag-stepping around with a rifle should be illegal, I do not give a fvck that what happened was illegal. Not one, single, fvck.

i spend it while i can, if i run out i'll swallow all my meds
Grande D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 10:25 PM   #65
mattcarle21

My Ride: is Breakin My Wallet
[QUOTE=Sentaruu;15347274]explain.QUOTE]

An AR is made to shoot bullets, modifying it makes it shoot bullets faster.
A home appliance is made to do, well, various house work. Modifying it to make a bomb has nothing to do with its initial intentional purpose. Bad analogy.
Better might be taking a cat off a car to make it perform better although it's illegal.

Autozone is for wannabee's, carefull cuz most of them want to be BMW owners - but can't.- Freeflow
mattcarle21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 10:27 PM   #66
Vin Vega

My Ride: 2000 328Ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman831 View Post
I can pull up plenty of stories of black, gay, handicapped, women, being shot or being roughed up by the hands of the police. If he was black, they probably would have shot first and asked questions later.
Yea, IN THE PAST that was the case.
Vin Vega is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 10:28 PM   #67
Sentaruu

[QUOTE=mattcarle21;15347309]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sentaruu View Post
explain.QUOTE]

An AR is made to shoot bullets, modifying it makes it shoot bullets faster.
A home appliance is made to do, well, various house work. Modifying it to make a bomb has nothing to do with its initial intentional purpose. Bad analogy.
Better might be taking a cat off a car to make it perform better although it's illegal.
i am looking at it more from a legal/illegal standpoint than the "intended purpose" standpoint. bad analogy? maybe, but i am sure anyone with half a brain can get the message.
Old 04-16-2013, 10:30 PM   #68
nardog

My Ride: e34, totaled e46
Quote:
Re-read what I said. This guy wants fiscal legal support because the officer clearly did something illegal under current laws.

The guy with the rifle also clearly freaked some people out otherwise the cop would not even be there. Since I think swag-stepping around with a rifle should be illegal, I do not give a fvck that what happened was illegal. Not one, single, fvck.
You're clearly not understanding that you can't arrest people/violate their constitutional rights because people got "freaked out" about what they were doing and called the cops.

I'm not surprised that people called him given that most people aren't informed about guns and gun laws. They only see a big scary gun that kills people in movies that they've seen. This is why we have these rights/laws. You can't arrest someone based solely on their appearance
Old 04-16-2013, 10:30 PM   #69
NFRs2000nyc

Quote:

Again, you are babbling. He wasn't swagstepping. He was in the middle of nowhere with his son. Hardly trying to fish for overzealous cops or walking into a Macys trolling.
Old 04-16-2013, 10:33 PM   #70
mattcarle21

My Ride: is Breakin My Wallet
[QUOTE=Sentaruu;15347316]
Quote:

i am looking at it more from a legal/illegal standpoint than the "intended purpose" standpoint. bad analogy? maybe, but i am sure anyone with half a brain can get the message.
I'm sure they could, but they should also think it's a bit extreme.

Autozone is for wannabee's, carefull cuz most of them want to be BMW owners - but can't.- Freeflow
mattcarle21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 10:36 PM   #71
tinman831

My Ride: M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vin Vega View Post
Yea, IN THE PAST that was the case.

Still is.
tinman831 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 10:41 PM   #72
badfast

My Ride: A Car
Quote:
Since he was on a hiking trail, do you think he would have been harrassed if he was carrying this?

What's the difference between this and an AR?
Seriously? Are you really that dumb?

The picture you posted is Ruger 22. Rimfire 22 cartridge. As an AR-15 fires a centerfire 5.56 round (even though you can get rimfire 22 variants, nice try). Not to mention blowback vs. impingement.

There are also differences in muzzle velocity and effective range.

Last edited by badfast; 04-16-2013 at 10:41 PM.
badfast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 10:42 PM   #73
Sentaruu

thats kind of the point... you wouldnt restrict the public from owning household appliances(legal) just because they have the potential to be used as part of a bomb(illegal) would you? of course not. anything in the world has the potential to be used in an unlawful manner for an unlawful purpose... you cant just restrict a lawful item because something unlawful *might occur...
Old 04-16-2013, 10:42 PM   #74
alphawhiskey

My Ride: Foxtrot
Quote:
So many holes it's almost comical. Replies in bold.
lol. It's sad that you actually think you brought up valid points. It's even sadder that you are wasting your childish arguments on someone that supports gun rights.

1. You just implied that a Black person is as dangerous as a person carrying a rifle openly. Nice job. There is a big difference between simply being Black, and a person that is carrying an AR-15 that is capable of mass murder.

2. I don't have to retreat into my "controlled environment." I have a right to be in public without having to fear for my safety. And if I see a random STRANGER that I don't know carrying an AR-15, hell yeah I am GTFO and calling the cops. If I were at a shooting range, it would be a different story. If I were in a state where that was the norm, it would be different. But here, it isn't. Even in TX, where it is legal, it wasn't (that's not me. I didn't report him. Other Texans did). If the guy was carrying a machete, I'd call the cops too.

3. You right-wing gun toters give the rest of us gun supporters a bad name. You are the reason why liberals have fuel for their arguments that you are nutjobs.

I'd like to know in what state you live in where it is normal for people to be toting AR-15s at the mall. If you are really in NYC, you know for damn sure you're mentality isn't the norm.

But hey, go ahead and test out your beliefs. Take your gun and carry it into a mall or on the street. See what happens to you.

Last edited by alphawhiskey; 04-16-2013 at 10:45 PM.
alphawhiskey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 10:49 PM   #75
david05111

My Ride: drei hundert dreißig
Quote:
Well excuuuuse me. I shot M-16s in the military. The only difference between those and an AR is the 3 round burst on M16. Right? So, technically it's not an assault rifle, yes. How easy is it to mess with the trigger mechanism and make it full auto though? Serious question.
Not that easy of a conversion. Need a select fire control group, including an autosear. Also need to mill the receiver a bit, make sure you're running a full auto bolt carrier group, etc. it can be done, but its not a drop-in part. And it is very, very illegal. Like 10 years in prison illegal.

"You'll Never Walk Alone"

"Psycho Murican" -- beeemerdude of Canada
david05111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 10:50 PM   #76
Grande D

My Ride: Whiiiite BMW!
Quote:
Originally Posted by nardog View Post
You're clearly not understanding that you can't arrest people/violate their constitutional rights because people got "freaked out" about what they were doing and called the cops.

I'm not surprised that people called him given that most people aren't informed about guns and gun laws. They only see a big scary gun that kills people in movies that they've seen. This is why we have these rights/laws. You can't arrest someone based solely on their appearance
Movies? No, real life shootings. That happen every damn day.

i spend it while i can, if i run out i'll swallow all my meds
Grande D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 10:50 PM   #77
NFRs2000nyc

Quote:
Originally Posted by badfast View Post
Seriously? Are you really that dumb?

The picture you posted is Ruger 22. Rimfire 22 cartridge. As an AR-15 fires a centerfire 5.56 round (even though you can get rimfire 22 variants, nice try). Not to mention blowback vs. impingement.

There are also differences in muzzle velocity and effective range.
I meant rifle vs rifle, not round vs round. Here, happy now? The only reason why I posted the ruger is simply because of the way it looks, and nothing to do with the fact that it's a smaller caliber rifle.

Does this make my example better or something?

Quote:
Available in .223, 5.6 x 39 and 7.62 x 39.

Last edited by NFRs2000nyc; 04-16-2013 at 10:51 PM.
NFRs2000nyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 10:52 PM   #78
Sentaruu

Quote:
I meant rifle vs rifle, not round vs round. Here, happy now? The only reason why I posted the ruger is simply because of the way it looks, and nothing to do with the fact that it's a smaller caliber rifle.

Does this make my example better or something?

fixed
Old 04-16-2013, 10:53 PM   #79
nardog

My Ride: e34, totaled e46
Quote:
Movies? No, real life shootings. That happen every damn day.
I'd cite the stat for the usage of rifles vs. handguns, but it's already been established in multiple threads on this forum that rifles are rarely used in shootings/murders compared to handguns. In fact, hammers and baseball bats are used more in murders than rifles.

Last edited by nardog; 04-16-2013 at 10:57 PM.
nardog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 10:54 PM   #80
NFRs2000nyc

Quote:
Originally Posted by alphawhiskey View Post
lol. It's sad that you actually think you brought up valid points. It's even sadder that you are wasting your childish arguments on someone that supports gun rights.

1. You just implied that a Black person is as dangerous as a person carrying a rifle openly. Nice job. There is a big difference between simply being Black, and a person that is carrying an AR-15 that is capable of mass murder.

2. I don't have to retreat into my "controlled environment." I have a right to be in public without having to fear for my safety. And if I see a random STRANGER that I don't know carrying an AR-15, hell yeah I am GTFO and calling the cops. If I were at a shooting range, it would be a different story. If I were in a state where that was the norm, it would be different. But here, it isn't. Even in TX, where it is legal, it wasn't (that's not me. I didn't report him. Other Texans did). If the guy was carrying a machete, I'd call the cops too.
No you do not. You don't have a right to safety. You have a right (in some states) to protect yourself.
3. You right-wing gun toters give the rest of us gun supporters a bad name. You are the reason why liberals have fuel for their arguments that you are nutjobs.

I'd like to know in what state you live in where it is normal for people to be toting AR-15s at the mall. If you are really in NYC, you know for damn sure you're mentality isn't the norm. Read my previous post. I said exactly that. In NYC it would be out of place. In texas, on a hiking trail, it isn't http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showpos...5&postcount=44

But hey, go ahead and test out your beliefs. Take your gun and carry it into a mall or on the street. See what happens to you.
I would have no problem taking my gun out and walking down the street with it, so long as I comply with the law.

Last edited by NFRs2000nyc; 04-16-2013 at 10:56 PM.
NFRs2000nyc is offline   Reply With Quote