E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > E46 Convertible

E46 Convertible
The E46 vert forum. Talk about dropping your E46 top here.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 05-20-2013, 12:02 PM   #21
e46 330ci vert

My Ride: e46 vert
Send a message via ICQ to e46 330ci vert
firstly let me say bsw make some very nice upgrades and there a perfect fit.
however by being a bit adventures you can get a baffle plate made to fit in the ski hatch and fit a nice 10" powerfull sub in there.
id max makes the perfect sub for this and almost any amp will run it.
or you can get cheaper subs and still keep your bootspace completely
e46 330ci vert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 04:08 PM   #22
garrafa

My Ride: E46 M3 CONV
Dave,

This bracket will accept ANY subwoofer upto 12". All you need to tell me is the cutout of the sub which is always smaller than the actual sub diameter (you can measure this or look in the manual that comes with the subs, they all have a dimension sketch.).

If you are hooking up only a subwoofer and using a dedicated amplifier (mono or one channel amp is all you need), YOU DON'T NEED a crossover.

I think BSW's solution is overpriced and underpowered. You are paying for the plug and play and nice fit in your trunk, but for $400 which is what they charge, you could easily install at least twice the power that they offer and with better components (they don't use any known subwoofer brand such as JBL, Infinity etc... and they use paper cones vs. glass fiber on Infinitys or even better materials on JBL's etc...)

Best place to start, is call Crutchfield, they'll educate you for free. Then go on amazon and buy the stuff, then order your bracket from me

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave View Post
Getting back to discussing the bracket and that sub, is there a guide to what other subs might fit there without sacrificing trunk space? I was drawn to the BSW because of that and the plug/play nature of not needing to wire up another amp (which I'm sure is not difficult... but I'd have to find space for it and know what I was doing and start wondering about crossovers and whatnot) If there's a cheaper alternative (with better customer service) with a guide on how to integrate it with a good set of front door speakers, I'd love to see it.

I'm sure there's plenty of wiring guides and speaker comparisons in the ICE forum. But vert-specific subwoofer suggestions that could use this bracket, or links to them, would be a nice addition here.
garrafa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 04:26 PM   #23
limpiabota809

My Ride: 330 XI
Build this for sedans with ski pass
Old 05-20-2013, 06:34 PM   #24
dirty vert

My Ride: 2001 330ci
It will depend on the amp if you need a seperate crossover, if the amp has a built in sub crossover you will be fine withought a seperate one.
dirty vert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 07:07 PM   #25
dknightd

My Ride: 2002 330 cic
garrafa,
I see two problems with your solution.
1) it is surface mounted. Which probably means the sub will hit the rear seats, and you can probably not run it with the center section in place.
2) it looks like it leaks like a sieve. You can't have a proper IB sub unless the back is isolated from the front. Looks like your solution leaks above the sub, and, through the triangular cutouts behind the sub.
Just starting to look into sub options for my vert. so I welcome your comments on my comments. For now, just duct taping the HK sub door shut helped a lot. I'm thinking I want something that sits flush (so I can use with center rear seat in place) and seals trunk from cabin so at least I can simulate an IB. Or, I might just build a small box. Or just buy BSW (when you think about it $50-100 for box, $150 for sub, $150 for amp and you are pretty close to what they charge. And they they've taken care of R&D - might be worth it. . . )
dknightd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 07:40 PM   #26
BonesM80

My Ride: 02 330ci
E46 convertible subwoofer MDF bracket 12" 10" 8" Haman Kardon upgrade

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
BonesM80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 08:54 PM   #27
dirty vert

My Ride: 2001 330ci
I have 2-10" subs in my car..
dirty vert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 10:01 PM   #28
garrafa

I had the same concern about the sub not being totally sealed and was planning on sealing it with Dynamat but after initial testing, found that it sounds very good without the Dynamat. I went ahead and sealed it with Dynamat and found that the sound was not particularly better. I'm personally very satisfied with the way the sub sounds (note that this Infinity Kappa sub is a "free-air" design which is made to work in not airtight compartments such as in this application). I think your comments would be more valid for "regular non-free-air subs". Again, sealing is just an extra step and easily done with Dynamat, but I found it was not necessary in this case and given the free-air design sub.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dknightd View Post
garrafa,
1) it is surface mounted. Which probably means the sub will hit the rear seats, and you can probably not run it with the center section in place.
2) it looks like it leaks like a sieve. You can't have a proper IB sub unless the back is isolated from the front. Looks like your solution leaks above the sub, and, through the triangular cutouts behind the sub.
Just starting to look into sub options for my vert. so I welcome your comments on my comments. For now, just duct taping the HK sub door shut helped a lot. I'm thinking I want something that sits flush (so I can use with center rear seat in place) and seals trunk from cabin so at least I can simulate an IB. Or, I might just build a small box. Or just buy BSW (when you think about it $50-100 for box, $150 for sub, $150 for amp and you are pretty close to what they charge. And they they've taken care of R&D - might be worth it. . . )
Old 05-20-2013, 10:03 PM   #29
garrafa

Center seat section fits, see pics on page 1.

Quote:
garrafa,
Old 05-20-2013, 11:11 PM   #30
Dave

My Ride: 323,330,M3,M3,M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by garrafa View Post
BSW's ... for $400 which is what they charge,
Actually it's $659.
Old 05-21-2013, 04:44 AM   #31
dknightd

My Ride: 2002 330 cic
Quote:
Center seat section fits, see pics on page 1.
You can run sub with center section in place without it hitting?
dknightd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 05:24 AM   #32
Retrax

My Ride: 2004 325CI vert
Quote:
You can run sub with center section in place without it hitting?
Review posts 8, 12, and 16.
Retrax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 07:03 AM   #33
garrafa

Quote:
Actually it's $659.
ouch! BSW price went way up! forget about it! go custom!
Old 05-21-2013, 12:06 PM   #34
taylor192

My Ride: 2003.5 M3
Quote:
ouch! BSW price went way up! forget about it! go custom!
A decent 10" sub, amp, and wiring will run you $400, plus $75 for this bracket. Yes BSW is expensive, yet compared to similar quality its not that expensive. Sure you can cheap out on a sub and amp for $200, yet you get what you pay for.
taylor192 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 12:18 PM   #35
garrafa

To be exact, BSW costs $659 vs. about $385 for your own custom setup below:

Now, compare power: BSW does not even disclose how much power their sub can handle on their website (correct me if I'm wrong). If you buy the setup I recommend below, you get a 12" sub guaranteed to fit your car with 350 Watts RMS/1400 Watts peak and an amplifier to power it adecuately. I doubt BSW has that kind of power and they only offer a 10" sub. There is a big difference between a 10" and 12" sub, you will surely notice it. I also know that BSW uses paper cones on their subs.

The suggested Infinity sub below uses glass fiber weave, which is much stiffer (for better sound) and even looks better. One more question, what brand of amp does BSW use? They don't say. By going custom, you can have full control of what amp and sub you buy, JBL is the best and for less money than BSW. With BSW, you are stuck with what they sell you and unknown output specs.

My recommended shopping list:

AMP= MTX TH350.1D (350 Watts RMS, 750 Watts Peak at 2 ohms)=$135 on Amazon or Crutchfield

SUB= Infinity Kappa 12" (350 Watts RMS, 1400 Watts Peak at 2 ohms)= $175 from Amazon (less expensive and great subs available too, or you can go all out on a JBL sub)

Bracket Kit (includes metric bolts, washers and instructions)= $75

-----------------------------
Total $385
(compare to $659 for less power and smaller & paper cone 10" from BSW!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by taylor192 View Post
A decent 10" sub, amp, and wiring will run you $400, plus $75 for this bracket. Yes BSW is expensive, yet compared to similar quality its not that expensive. Sure you can cheap out on a sub and amp for $200, yet you get what you pay for.

Last edited by garrafa; 05-23-2013 at 06:19 AM. Reason: kit description
Old 05-23-2013, 12:19 AM   #36
Dave

Does the 12" Kappa take up as little space? How does it sound? Quality of bass, not quantity. How does a 350w sub integrate with a system driven by stock amp and speakers that is surely much lower powered? Would someone who is interested in the top to bottom quality of sound rather than window-shaking bass be content with that setup?
Old 05-23-2013, 06:12 AM   #37
garrafa

Quote:
Does the 12" Kappa take up as little space? How does it sound? Quality of bass, not quantity. How does a 350w sub integrate with a system driven by stock amp and speakers that is surely much lower powered? Would someone who is interested in the top to bottom quality of sound rather than window-shaking bass be content with that setup?
Both the BSW and the Kappa protrude into the "tunnel" to the trunk but don't actually protrude into the trunk, so no, it doesn't take up significantly space than a BSW. Look at the posted pics and compare with BSW pics.

This 350 W amp or similar sub needs its own amp, any OEM amp will not work (BSW also includes an amp with their sub, they don't run it off the OEM amp)

It is nice to have the capability to create monstrous bass, but you can keep it low as well, either way, it sounds incredible, but only you can be the judge of that given that each person has specific tastes. In my experience, this sounds great with all types of music (from classical to country to rap to rock) and at all levels (recall you are using name brand components which are higher quality than BSW and more powerful).

Last edited by garrafa; 05-23-2013 at 06:26 AM. Reason: typo, more bsw detail
Old 05-23-2013, 06:24 AM   #38
garrafa

Quote:
Originally Posted by taylor192 View Post
Are you a sponsor? I don't think this site condones advertising by members... especially for a $75 piece of wood.
It has now been advertised in the classifieds section. For $75 you get more than a piece of wood, you get a Kit. The wood has been precisely cut and designed to fit your car and any sub up to 12". You also get metric bolts and washers to install it as well as instructions.

Last edited by garrafa; 05-23-2013 at 06:28 AM. Reason: kit detail
Old 05-24-2013, 11:40 AM   #39
Dave

I sent you a PM a few days ago. Would like your input.
Old 05-24-2013, 12:20 PM   #40
taylor192

My Ride: 2003.5 M3
Quote:
It has now been advertised in the classifieds section. For $75 you get more than a piece of wood, you get a Kit. The wood has been precisely cut and designed to fit your car and any sub up to 12". You also get metric bolts and washers to install it as well as instructions.
I found a post where you're advertising it for $50, why the change of price?

Also, could you post up close pics of the sub with the seat installed. Most that have installed a sub in the ski pass have built a triangular box with the front recessed from the metal so that the sub does not hit the seat or removable section of the seat.

Last edited by taylor192; 05-24-2013 at 12:20 PM.
taylor192 is online now   Reply With Quote