E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > E46 Convertible

E46 Convertible
The E46 vert forum. Talk about dropping your E46 top here.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 05-24-2013, 12:49 PM   #41
Dave
Moderator
 
Dave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 1969
Location: Miami
Posts: 2,172
My Ride: 323,330,M3,M3,M3
Good point. Looks like this one is recessed a bit, presumably for a reason:

__________________
Perhaps you think multi-million dollar ad campaigns make a beer taste better. Perhaps you're mouthing your words as you read this.
Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 01:15 PM   #42
garrafa
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: NYC
Posts: 67
My Ride: E46 M3 CONV
Quote:
Originally Posted by taylor192 View Post
I found a post where you're advertising it for $50, why the change of price?

Also, could you post up close pics of the sub with the seat installed. Most that have installed a sub in the ski pass have built a triangular box with the front recessed from the metal so that the sub does not hit the seat or removable section of the seat.
Dear Taylor192,

This looks quite nice, but it will limit you to an 8" sub at most, which is the OEM size as it's within the same boundaries/frame as the OEM sub. With my bracket, you can install up to a 12" sub. It also appears to be not entirely flush with the metal frame. My bracket will not be a problem for rear seats since the whole rear seat backrest is one large piece of foam with the front wrapped in leather. It will flex to accommodate my bracket frame and the deflection required will be negligible to the eye. You can always shave off some of backrest foam to accommodate the frame.

P.S. The rear seats, seat belt hardware and rear headrests weight about 50 lbs! why would you want to carry that around?!

Price went up due to my supplier upping the cost due to low-volume precision cutting these within required tolerances as well as me including the special metric bolts and washers. You can always make an offer for one for less on eBay:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/151051003618...witem=&vxp=mtr
garrafa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 01:18 PM   #43
garrafa
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: NYC
Posts: 67
My Ride: E46 M3 CONV
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave View Post
Good point. Looks like this one is recessed a bit, presumably for a reason:
See my prior posts, this BSW will limit you to an 8" sub and much less power for more money and lower quality components... it's all about what you value the most...
garrafa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 07:13 PM   #44
dknightd
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: upstate NY
Posts: 981
My Ride: 2002 330 cic
Quote:
Originally Posted by garrafa View Post
See my prior posts, this BSW will limit you to an 8" sub and much less power for more money and lower quality components... it's all about what you value the most...
bsw sub is 10". Seems to use decent components. Yes the price includes a decent profit. So but so does your $75 piece of mdf and screws. Don't have either. Neither is ideal IMO, so I'll either do it myself, or, fork out the money. Near as I can tell your surface mounted solution would be easiest if you did not mind a sub rubbing against seats. Like you say - it is all about what you value most.
dknightd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 10:58 PM   #45
taylor192
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: The Best Place on Earth
Posts: 1,600
My Ride: 2003.5 M3
Re: E46 convertible subwoofer MDF bracket 12" 10" 8" Haman Kardon upgrade

Quote:
Originally Posted by garrafa View Post
This looks quite nice, but it will limit you to an 8" sub at most
That picture is of a 10" or 12" sub, I forget, yet both sizes can easily be run.

Thanks for pointing out the seat has to flex around your design. Not that big a deal, yet important info for those interested.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using BimmerApp mobile app
__________________
taylor192 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 12:05 AM   #46
garrafa
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: NYC
Posts: 67
My Ride: E46 M3 CONV
Quote:
Originally Posted by taylor192 View Post
That picture is of a 10" or 12" sub, I forget, yet both sizes can easily be run.

Thanks for pointing out the seat has to flex around your design. Not that big a deal, yet important info for those interested.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using BimmerApp mobile app
It's a 12" INCHER
garrafa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 08:52 AM   #47
garrafa
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: NYC
Posts: 67
My Ride: E46 M3 CONV
Few more pics of 3D CAD model:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	front proe.JPG
Views:	64
Size:	19.2 KB
ID:	507608   Click image for larger version

Name:	angled proe.JPG
Views:	68
Size:	23.6 KB
ID:	507609   Click image for larger version

Name:	left proe.JPG
Views:	65
Size:	16.6 KB
ID:	507610   Click image for larger version

Name:	bracket proe.JPG
Views:	58
Size:	15.6 KB
ID:	507611  

garrafa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 09:29 AM   #48
daniel_f.
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Germany
Posts: 494
My Ride: 330iCA
is your sub supposed to be a free-air unit? and if it is, shouldn´t the room behind the sub be completely sealed to the front? i´m no audio expert at all and to be honest i think my harman kardon system is appropiate, but if i would change, i guess i would build something similar to the bsw system, even it only had a 10" sub, which should be more then enough...
__________________
kind regards
Daniel

daniel_f. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 10:00 AM   #49
garrafa
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: NYC
Posts: 67
My Ride: E46 M3 CONV
Quote:
Originally Posted by daniel_f. View Post
is your sub supposed to be a free-air unit? and if it is, shouldn´t the room behind the sub be completely sealed to the front? i´m no audio expert at all and to be honest i think my harman kardon system is appropiate, but if i would change, i guess i would build something similar to the bsw system, even it only had a 10" sub, which should be more then enough...
Nope. The whole point of using a free-air unit is that it DOES NOT have to be sealed...
garrafa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 11:05 AM   #50
dirty vert
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: North Texas..Dfw
Posts: 212
My Ride: 2001 330ci
In a free air setup, if you have more than 1/4" of a gap between the trunk and the cab you will loose db's.. it needs to be tight-no gaps to produce the best sound and punch.
dirty vert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 11:34 AM   #51
garrafa
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: NYC
Posts: 67
My Ride: E46 M3 CONV
Quote:
Originally Posted by dirty vert View Post
In a free air setup, if you have more than 1/4" of a gap between the trunk and the cab you will loose db's.. it needs to be tight-no gaps to produce the best sound and punch.
The manual says nothing about above, they say it is designed for rear of sub facing the trunk of a car.... and in my experience as installed, it is plenty loud, so loud I can only crank it up about 75% before I can't take it any more....
garrafa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 11:52 AM   #52
garrafa
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: NYC
Posts: 67
My Ride: E46 M3 CONV
Quote:
Originally Posted by garrafa View Post
Few more pics of 3D CAD model:
Sold first one to Ontario, Canada, woo whoo!! big woop
garrafa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 08:50 AM   #53
daniel_f.
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Germany
Posts: 494
My Ride: 330iCA
Quote:
Originally Posted by garrafa View Post
The manual says nothing about above, they say it is designed for rear of sub facing the trunk of a car.... and in my experience as installed, it is plenty loud, so loud I can only crank it up about 75% before I can't take it any more....
So one more point to go 10" instead of 12" and have it proper mounted inside instead of on top of
__________________
kind regards
Daniel

daniel_f. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 09:51 AM   #54
TheHulk9er
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Annapolis, MD
Posts: 50
My Ride: 2000 323ci Convert
A couple of points here. One, the BSW sub has an Aluminum cone (not paper) and at one point was made by a company named Alumapro that made a 1st class sub. Two, in infinite baffle the whole idea behind the baffle is to separate the rear wave from the front wave as the rear wave can cause wave cancellation and affect both the quantity and the quality of the bass. Most subs can be run IB but the best have a Qts in the neighborhood of .707 as this is where the suspension delivers the best compromise between low frequency extension and transient response. The Qts of the speaker indicates the shape of the roll-off. While I applaud the idea here, I would make sure to seal up the baffle, and I would also clean up the area behind the seats so that the suspension of the sub woofer did not come into contact with the seats. I do love the idea of a 12" sub over a 10". I have even considered losing my back seats (I don't need no stinking back seats!) so I could do two 12" subs or IB one 15".
TheHulk9er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 10:06 AM   #55
garrafa
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: NYC
Posts: 67
My Ride: E46 M3 CONV
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHulk9er View Post
A couple of points here. One, the BSW sub has an Aluminum cone (not paper) and at one point was made by a company named Alumapro that made a 1st class sub. Two, in infinite baffle the whole idea behind the baffle is to separate the rear wave from the front wave as the rear wave can cause wave cancellation and affect both the quantity and the quality of the bass. Most subs can be run IB but the best have a Qts in the neighborhood of .707 as this is where the suspension delivers the best compromise between low frequency extension and transient response. The Qts of the speaker indicates the shape of the roll-off. While I applaud the idea here, I would make sure to seal up the baffle, and I would also clean up the area behind the seats so that the suspension of the sub woofer did not come into contact with the seats. I do love the idea of a 12" sub over a 10". I have even considered losing my back seats (I don't need no stinking back seats!) so I could do two 12" subs or IB one 15".
I considered insulating the sub-woofer frame to the car chassis by using 1/4" medium density foam along all the contact areas, but I found that without the foam, the impact of the sub actually travels to my front driver's seat, and I LIKE IT! And since the car is so well built, nothing rattles! (I still can't get over that fact) . It adds to the experience of "feeling" your music, not that a 12" 1400 Peak Watt Sub won't do that for you!

All in all, as I've said before, my setup sounds very good, bass is powerful and clear, all I wanted and even more... When I have the time, I may create an optional "box" to attach to the rear of the sub for those who must have an ported/non-ported enclosure...
garrafa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 02:52 AM   #56
BranchTwenty1
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Maryland
Posts: 54
My Ride: '04 330Ci Vert 6-Spd
Any luck on that enclosure project, garrafa?
BranchTwenty1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 06:38 PM   #57
garrafa
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: NYC
Posts: 67
My Ride: E46 M3 CONV
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beeej21 View Post
Any luck on that enclosure project, garrafa?
Works like a charm, you can buy bracket on eBay.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...m=151051003618
garrafa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 02:02 AM   #58
BranchTwenty1
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Maryland
Posts: 54
My Ride: '04 330Ci Vert 6-Spd
Thanks, but I wasn't referring to the bracket, but the sealed ENCLOSURE that you said you might start working on. So I was wondering if you had any luck with that project. :-)
BranchTwenty1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 09:02 AM   #59
garrafa
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: NYC
Posts: 67
My Ride: E46 M3 CONV
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beeej21 View Post
Thanks, but I wasn't referring to the bracket, but the sealed ENCLOSURE that you said you might start working on. So I was wondering if you had any luck with that project. :-)
Not yet, it's on my to do list, will let u know .
garrafa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 08:14 AM   #60
ohtaile
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Wilmington, North Carolina
Posts: 24
My Ride: 2002 BMW 325CI
Do you have any more pics of this install? I am very interested in doing this to my 2002 325CI.
ohtaile is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Censor is ON





All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:37 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
(c) 1999 - 2011 performanceIX Inc - privacy policy - terms of use