E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > Political Talk

Political Talk
You may discuss anything regarding politics in this forum ONLY. If you cannot respect others opinions, your access to this forum will be removed.

Old 04-18-2013, 04:20 PM   #101
Act of God

My Ride: Beach Cruiser
Send a message via AIM to Act of God
Quote:
Originally Posted by brew View Post
Tell that to Feinstein with her specially approved CA concealed carry permit, or Bloomberg with his armed security team. Ordinary people face real threats, too. Cops are just there to figure out who did it after the fact.
Well she's better than you, that's why its ok for her (little man Bloom too)

“I wanted [Jimmy] Carter in and I wanted [Ford] out,” comedian Chevy Chase would later admit of his mocking Ford impersonation on "Saturday Night Live", “and I figured look, we're reaching millions of people every weekend, why not do it."
Act of God is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 04:23 PM   #102
brew

My Ride: F150 X5 MR2
Quote:
Originally Posted by 'busa View Post
The law specifically differentiates between gay and straight marriages?
I don't believe gay marriages are currently recognized under federal law . . . therefor they would not be considered "spouses" under the law.
brew is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 04:23 PM   #103
david05111

My Ride: drei hundert dreißig
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zell View Post
The results of the poll said that 60% want stricter laws covering the sales of firearms, and 87% supported background checks for private gun sales and sales at gun shows.

The law states that private sales do not require background checks - in other words, people at gun shows as well. About 2 out of 5 guns sold do not get background checks, last time I read a statistic about it. I can go buy a rifle at a gun show from a seller without a background check.

So yes, the answer from this poll is that approximately 87% of Americans are seeking to expand background checks.

I don't know how they'd enforce private gun sales unless they did something like they do with car VINs.
Ohh Jesus, not the 40% of sales argument again. That statistic has been disproven over and over again and was an incorrectly drawn conclusion in a study that too place over 20 years ago. Obama still loves to cling to it though

And again, sales between individuals at gun shows ARE private sales.

"You'll Never Walk Alone"

"Psycho Murican" -- beeemerdude of Canada
david05111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 04:26 PM   #104
brew

Quote:
Considering how much Feinstein's name gets brought up in anger on this forum and others by the pro-gun crowd, I'm not surprised she would take extreme measures. I don't know if people bring up your name in the same tone at the same rate.

Yes, people face threats. Of course. But I am unlikely to urgently need a gun in 5 days, and be completely oblivious to that fact today. If I am the type of person that might find myself in that position in 5 days, or am I surrounded by people that would cause me to need a gun in such a short period, I'd damn well better know this about myself way ahead of time before I need a gun.
Cool - just let the guy who is threatening you that you need a few days to sort things out.
Old 04-18-2013, 04:31 PM   #105
NFRs2000nyc

My Ride: 2003 FormulaRedS2000
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeski3d View Post
No need for a handgun safe if I don't plan to have a handgun.
Your long guns need to be locked up as well if you have kids in the house, or at the very least, secured.
Old 04-18-2013, 04:33 PM   #106
NFRs2000nyc

My Ride: 2003 FormulaRedS2000
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeski3d View Post
Don't plan to keep a pistol in the house. I have two sons. I have every intention of teaching them to use and respect firearms... but I don't want either of them to be able to causally walk out of the house with my firearm for any reason at all.

A shotgun is kind of hard to hide in your pants.
Not caring about laws that currently don't apply to you is a very slippery slope.
Old 04-18-2013, 04:42 PM   #107
'busa

My Ride: E90 335i (sold)
Quote:
I don't believe gay marriages are currently recognized under federal law . . . therefor they would not be considered "spouses" under the law.
Well, in that case, if one person thinks they should have a gun, so should the other. Great reason to promote equality.

Quote:
Cool - just let the guy who is threatening you that you need a few days to sort things out.
So, someone I have not met yet, or someone who I wouldn't think would threaten me in such a way, is going to suddenly appear in my life and threaten my life?

If I have such people around me, I know it already. If I don't, I don't. I guarantee you that I'm more likely to win the lottery than I am to need a gun for self protection in 5 days.
Old 04-18-2013, 04:47 PM   #108
joeski3d

My Ride: 2000 323i
Quote:
Originally Posted by NFRs2000nyc View Post
Your long guns need to be locked up as well if you have kids in the house, or at the very least, secured.
http://www.brownells.com/shooting-ac...441500_d_10071

Ballbusters Inc.

DISCLAIMER: No balls were physically hurt during the reading of this post. Should redness and/or swelling occur consult your gynecologist immediately.
joeski3d is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 04:50 PM   #109
joeski3d

My Ride: 2000 323i
Quote:
Originally Posted by NFRs2000nyc View Post
Not caring about laws that currently don't apply to you is a very slippery slope.
I'm just not sure how different these inconvenient laws are from other states.

Are they really infringing upon your rights or are they just a pain in the ass?

Ballbusters Inc.

DISCLAIMER: No balls were physically hurt during the reading of this post. Should redness and/or swelling occur consult your gynecologist immediately.
joeski3d is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 04:57 PM   #110
5ynd1cat3

My Ride: swagger wagon
The reason why this joke didn't pass is because there is no funding to study the mating habits of the tufted titmouse or funding to study why lesbians are fat.
Old 04-18-2013, 04:57 PM   #111
brew

Quote:
Well, in that case, if one person thinks they should have a gun, so should the other. Great reason to promote equality.

So, someone I have not met yet, or someone who I wouldn't think would threaten me in such a way, is going to suddenly appear in my life and threaten my life?

If I have such people around me, I know it already. If I don't, I don't. I guarantee you that I'm more likely to win the lottery than I am to need a gun for self protection in 5 days.
All I can say is that someday something may happen to you or a friend that will change your perspective.
Old 04-18-2013, 04:59 PM   #112
5ynd1cat3

Quote:
All I can say is that someday something may happen to you or a friend that will change your perspective.
"A liberal is just a conservative who hasn't been mugged yet"
Old 04-18-2013, 05:04 PM   #113
NOVAbimmer

My Ride: 14 Impala FXST M796
So has anyone actually been able to explain how the "expanded background checks" would help? Or what "closing the gun show loophole" really means?
Old 04-18-2013, 05:11 PM   #114
Sentaruu

My Ride: Xterra
i havent heard anything...
Old 04-18-2013, 05:18 PM   #115
NOVAbimmer

Well, I guess if one life could potentially be saved, we need to support whatever it is that the president wants.
Old 04-18-2013, 05:20 PM   #116
5ynd1cat3

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOVAbimmer View Post
Well, I guess if one life could potentially be saved, we need to support whatever it is that the president wants.
You're right. The president and first lady are like the mother and father of this country. When they speak, we should listen.
Old 04-18-2013, 05:28 PM   #117
NOVAbimmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5ynd1cat3 View Post
You're right. The president and first lady are like the mother and father of this country. When they speak, we should listen.
Hope.
Change.
Hnnnngghhhh!
Old 04-18-2013, 05:32 PM   #118
Sentaruu

My Ride: Xterra
listen to your daddy now.
Old 04-18-2013, 05:34 PM   #119
NOVAbimmer

Big Daddy O is mad and scolding us today.
Old 04-18-2013, 05:38 PM   #120
5ynd1cat3

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOVAbimmer View Post
Hope.
Change.
Baaaaaaaaa!!!

fixed.