E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > Gun Talk

Gun Talk
Are you a gun fanatic as well? If so, you'll want to talk to other owners about what you own in this forum.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 04-17-2013, 08:12 PM   #41
Redline
Registered User
 
Redline's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Florida
Posts: 2,199
My Ride: ///M3 Vert
Quote:
Originally Posted by pancakes View Post
so background checks and family firearm transfers.... what else was "bad" about this?
Lots of hidden sh!t they "failed" to mention and tried to pass behind our backs like typical democrats.
__________________
k.

///M

Last edited by Redline; 04-17-2013 at 08:16 PM.
Redline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 08:17 PM   #42
MDydinanM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: East Coast
Posts: 754
My Ride: is a ///M
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redline View Post
Lots of hidden sh!t they "failed" to mention and tried to pass behind our backs like typical democrats.
ha, like Republicans don't do the same thing. But that's ok with you, right, so long as Republicans sneak things in?

Last edited by MDydinanM; 04-17-2013 at 08:17 PM.
MDydinanM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 08:17 PM   #43
TheDeadner
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: longmont,co
Posts: 220
My Ride: 00 323i
Quote:
Originally Posted by david05111 View Post
The narrow-minded view expressed here neglects the very purpose of the Second Amendment in the first place. And that's the thing most people ignore or don't get.

The Second Amendment is protection for the citizens against the Government. You do NOT want the government knowing who has the weapons and where they are. That leads to targeted confiscation or attack in the event of tyranny.

That is the purpose of the 2nd Amendment and always has been. Its not about hunting, self defense, collection, etc. Its about defense against a tyrannical government.

What happens if the background check system fails? What if, like the no-fly list, your name is mistakenly added to the NICS system? Or its improperly reported? You're barred from buying a firearm until its cleared up. Now what if you're buying it because your life is in immediate danger?

This is also about private property rights and the government not having its fingers in all of it. A sale of a firearm is disposition of property between two willing contracting parties. The government requiring a background check that a buyer and seller has to pay for amounts to a poll tax, a tax to exercise a right.

I can go on and on and on. There are bigger policy issues here than just "people should be checked" and "registration doesnt affect the law abiding". The "If you have nothing to hide, you have nothing to fear" mentality is a serious, serious threat to American rights and liberties
this
Feel free to voluntarily give up your rights but don't volunteer mine.
TheDeadner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 08:18 PM   #44
Grande D
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: PA
Posts: 3,326
My Ride: E90 M-Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redline View Post
Lots of hidden sh!t they "failed" to mention and tried to pass behind our backs like typical democrats.
Like what? I even ventured over to Fox to see all of this horrible shiit that got snuck into the bill, and lo and behold there was nothing there!
Grande D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 08:43 PM   #45
david05111
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Ponte Vedra, FL
Posts: 3,775
My Ride: drei hundert dreißig
While Obama and everyone is up in arms at the moment, let's not forget that there were alternate plans considered as well. The Grassley-Cruz Bill was a fantastic bill, complete with quite a bit of funding to improve safety in a number of areas. If I recall correctly, that bill did almost as well in the voting as the Toomey solution. And guess who primarily voted that bill down? Dems.

So don't criticize the right for not doing something. The left didn't do anything either. They blocked another proposed amendment.
__________________


"You'll Never Walk Alone"

"Psycho Murican" -- beeemerdude of Canada
david05111 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 08:50 PM   #46
Rhumb
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Virginia
Posts: 102
My Ride: 2001 M3 Coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Constantine View Post
I have changed my anti gun stance. I now firmly believe that ALL Americans should own guns without any restrictions. It is in fact their Constitutional right to do so. They should all have multiple weapons and have the right to carry them. Damn the background checks. I now realise that background checks are actually the thin edge of the wedge of Government's attempts to disarm the polulation.

I genuinly believe now that if EVERY American was armed appropriately it would be a much safer place to live and work. You may want to consider taking away some Police powers so that they cannot infringe your civil liberties. I have noted that is is a genuine concern among the more vocal gun advocates.

I apologise for any ill considered remarks I made about gun ownership in the past. This was done in ignorance.
Which explains why America, with by far the highest gun ownership rate of any first world country has, commensurately, the lowest gun crime, injury and death rates.

Ummm, right? The NRA tells me more guns will make us safer, so by that logic, I just gotta presume this to be true, even given all d'em skewed liberal statistics.

Last edited by Rhumb; 04-17-2013 at 08:54 PM.
Rhumb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 09:00 PM   #47
325inthe510
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: The Best Coast
Posts: 6,315
My Ride: 152ci of madness
Today is a good day.

Does that mean prices will finally start dropping and panic buyers will be flooding the market with guns?

__________________

325inthe510 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 09:05 PM   #48
mattcarle21
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: B'ham, AL
Posts: 745
My Ride: is Breakin My Wallet
Love Biden's facepalm
__________________

Autozone is for wannabee's, carefull cuz most of them want to be BMW owners - but can't.- Freeflow
mattcarle21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 09:07 PM   #49
Xcelratr
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: So Cal - 310
Posts: 958
My Ride: 04 330Ci ZHP
Quote:
Originally Posted by pancakes View Post
did he make a statement? is there a vid? what did he say?
He did what politicians always do. He went out, postured, and acted like what he wanted was the "one and only true best solution" and that anyone that opposed it was crazy, out of touch, heartless, corrupted by lobbyists, should be voted out of office and so on.

What he didn't do was acknowledge that perhaps what he wanted wasn't the "one and only true best solution" and that it's entirely possible that the 46 Rep and Dem Senators that voted against this 1 amendment to 1 bill that's addressing a very complex issue MIGHT have found this amendment to be a poor solution.

Welcome to politics.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grande D View Post
Sadly? Do you know how many more people would die if any old teenager or bum could drive a car? This country's license laws and "privileges" are actually too lax in most cases.

Background checks and registration would only hurt people who shouldn't own guns. I doubt it would effect anyone on this forum.
How would current or expanded background checks have prevented Sandy Hook?
__________________
----------------------------------------------
Quote:
As a juror, do you think the trial was a publicity stunt?

Yes
----------------------------------------------
Xcelratr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 09:24 PM   #50
Grande D
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: PA
Posts: 3,326
My Ride: E90 M-Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by david05111 View Post
The narrow-minded view expressed here neglects the very purpose of the Second Amendment in the first place. And that's the thing most people ignore or don't get.

The Second Amendment is protection for the citizens against the Government. You do NOT want the government knowing who has the weapons and where they are. That leads to targeted confiscation or attack in the event of tyranny.

That is the purpose of the 2nd Amendment and always has been. Its not about hunting, self defense, collection, etc. Its about defense against a tyrannical government.

What happens if the background check system fails? What if, like the no-fly list, your name is mistakenly added to the NICS system? Or its improperly reported? You're barred from buying a firearm until its cleared up. Now what if you're buying it because your life is in immediate danger?

This is also about private property rights and the government not having its fingers in all of it. A sale of a firearm is disposition of property between two willing contracting parties. The government requiring a background check that a buyer and seller has to pay for amounts to a poll tax, a tax to exercise a right.

I can go on and on and on. There are bigger policy issues here than just "people should be checked" and "registration doesnt affect the law abiding". The "If you have nothing to hide, you have nothing to fear" mentality is a serious, serious threat to American rights and liberties
What if? All I see are hypotheticals. Look in the mirror- your position can just as easily be seen as narrow minded.

Background checks would prevent at least some unnecessary violence, which is better than nothing. I think background checks are the equivalent to the, no Fire! in a movie theater limitation on free speech.

Background checks are also required on purchases of other dangerous things. Don't act like this is something new.

It's a reasonable step, but you are not reasonable enough to except it due to your anti-government views. De-arm you? This isn't The Hunger Hames. Do not flatter your paranoia.

Quote:
Originally Posted by david05111 View Post
While Obama and everyone is up in arms at the moment, let's not forget that there were alternate plans considered as well. The Grassley-Cruz Bill was a fantastic bill, complete with quite a bit of funding to improve safety in a number of areas. If I recall correctly, that bill did almost as well in the voting as the Toomey solution. And guess who primarily voted that bill down? Dems.

So don't criticize the right for not doing something. The left didn't do anything either. They blocked another proposed amendment.
When was the bill voted on? What are the specifics of the bill? I saw it said- put in place provisions to prevent the mentally ill from having guns. How would they accomplish that?


Quote:
Originally Posted by Xcelratr View Post


How would current or expanded background checks have prevented Sandy Hook?
They may not have, but Sandy Hook is far from the only preventable shooting. Obviously, 100% of shootings are not preventable. Gun owners like to pretend that that gives them a free pass to do nothing. Gun owners in OT generally seem to be some of the most selfish people I've ever talked to.

IIRC several of the guns used in Columbine were purchased at gun shows since no checks were needed to be run to buy a gun there. Just because a bill wouldn't prevent all gun violence doesn't mean it wouldn't reduce it by a substantial margin.

Last edited by Grande D; 04-17-2013 at 09:33 PM.
Grande D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 09:26 PM   #51
Reedo302
Registered User
 
Reedo302's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 7,763
My Ride: F30 328i M Sport
The Bidenpalm is the best. That's a Biden Facepalm of Defeat, mixed with Silver Wolf vodka and about 600mg of Percocet.

__________________



Gunfighter Training Development and Evaluation
AR15/AR10 Armorer/Advanced Armorer
Glock Armorer


Gunfighter Training YouTube Channel

Last edited by Reedo302; 04-17-2013 at 09:27 PM.
Reedo302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 09:53 PM   #52
JonJon
Tinfoilhatatarian
 
JonJon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: One of the most evil states ever to exist
Posts: 3,476
My Ride: .
Send a message via AIM to JonJon
Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reedo302 View Post
The Bidenpalm is the best. That's a Biden Facepalm of Defeat, mixed with Silver Wolf vodka and about 600mg of Percocet.

My new computer desktop
__________________
Malo periculosam libertatem quam quietum servitium

Quote:
Originally Posted by 'busa View Post
I agree with JonJon.
JonJon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 09:53 PM   #53
david05111
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Ponte Vedra, FL
Posts: 3,775
My Ride: drei hundert dreißig
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grande D View Post
What if? All I see are hypotheticals. Look in the mirror- your position can just as easily be seen as narrow minded.

Background checks would prevent at least some unnecessary violence, which is better than nothing. I think background checks are the equivalent to the, no Fire! in a movie theater limitation on free speech.

Background checks are also required on purchases of other dangerous things. Don't act like this is something new.

It's a reasonable step, but you are not reasonable enough to except it due to your anti-government views. De-arm you? This isn't The Hunger Hames. Do not flatter your paranoia.



When was the bill voted on? What are the specifics of the bill? I saw it said- put in place provisions to prevent the mentally ill from having guns. How would they accomplish that?




They may not have, but Sandy Hook is far from the only preventable shooting. Obviously, 100% of shootings are not preventable. Gun owners like to pretend that that gives them a free pass to do nothing. Gun owners in OT generally seem to be some of the most selfish people I've ever talked to.

The amendment was voted on directly after the Toomey amendment was this afternoon. My how informed you are.

You know, you love to personally attack. My Paranoia? Most selfish people? I wont even address you any further. Good day to you, sir.
__________________


"You'll Never Walk Alone"

"Psycho Murican" -- beeemerdude of Canada
david05111 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 09:55 PM   #54
JonJon
Tinfoilhatatarian
 
JonJon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: One of the most evil states ever to exist
Posts: 3,476
My Ride: .
Send a message via AIM to JonJon
Quote:
Originally Posted by david05111 View Post
The amendment was voted on directly after the Toomey amendment was this afternoon. My how informed you are.

You know, you love to personally attack. My Paranoia? Most selfish people? I wont even address you any further. Good day to you, sir.
Ignore them. They refuse to even marginally educate themselves on the topic. They know little about the law, firearms or even when a vote is taking place let alone what's in it. They are only shadowed by the idiots that actually proposed the legislation
__________________
Malo periculosam libertatem quam quietum servitium

Quote:
Originally Posted by 'busa View Post
I agree with JonJon.

Last edited by JonJon; 04-17-2013 at 09:56 PM.
JonJon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 10:00 PM   #55
Redline
Registered User
 
Redline's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Florida
Posts: 2,199
My Ride: ///M3 Vert
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonJon View Post
Ignore them. They refuse to even marginally educate themselves on the topic. They know little about the law, firearms or even when a vote is taking place let alone what's in it. They are only shadowed by the idiots that actually proposed the legislation
This
__________________
k.

///M
Redline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 10:00 PM   #56
Grande D
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: PA
Posts: 3,326
My Ride: E90 M-Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by david05111 View Post
The amendment was voted on directly after the Toomey amendment was this afternoon. My how informed you are.

You know, you love to personally attack. My Paranoia? Most selfish people? I wont even address you any further. Good day to you, sir.
You are paranoid if you think background checks will result in the government confiscating your weapons.

My comment about selfishness addressed many gun owners on this forum, not you specifically. You'd see that if you read it the way it was written

I googled the bill you listed and came up with only shady, not so great news sources (no I'm not referring to Fox) so I asked you. Thanks for educating me.
Grande D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 10:00 PM   #57
Grande D
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: PA
Posts: 3,326
My Ride: E90 M-Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redline View Post
This
Reply to my post. Neither you nor any of the pro-gun owners have brought up anything besides family->family sales. Is that what you object to?
Grande D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 10:05 PM   #58
Redline
Registered User
 
Redline's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Florida
Posts: 2,199
My Ride: ///M3 Vert
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grande D View Post
Reply to my post. Neither you nor any of the pro-gun owners have brought up anything besides family->family sales. Is that what you object to?
I object to annoying liberals
__________________
k.

///M
Redline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 10:07 PM   #59
Grande D
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: PA
Posts: 3,326
My Ride: E90 M-Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redline View Post
I object to annoying liberals
Seriously?! Tell me what they put in the bill that you'd object to, because I cannot find it.

Acting like you are puts you on what you believe to be "my level."

Why don't you take two minutes of your time and help me see this from your point of view.
Grande D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 10:13 PM   #60
Redline
Registered User
 
Redline's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Florida
Posts: 2,199
My Ride: ///M3 Vert
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grande D View Post
Seriously?! Tell me what they put in the bill that you'd object to, because I cannot find it.

Acting like you are puts you on what you believe to be "my level."

Why don't you take two minutes of your time and help me see this from your point of view.
I don't think that's possible, but here is a drawing of a spider I did, hope you like it.

__________________
k.

///M
Redline is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Censor is OFF





All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:31 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
(c) 1999 - 2011 performanceIX Inc - privacy policy - terms of use