E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > Gun Talk

Gun Talk
Are you a gun fanatic as well? If so, you'll want to talk to other owners about what you own in this forum.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-17-2013, 10:17 PM   #61
Grande D

My Ride: Whiiiite BMW!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redline View Post
I don't think that's possible, but here is a drawing of a spider I did, hope you like it.

You have now made without question the most ignorant series of posts in this thread.

I think you assumed that there was a lot of things you'd object to in the bill, but then actually searched and realized that it was not the case. I've done the same thing in the past- more than once. However, I have the integrity to admit it.

Until next time.

i spend it while i can, if i run out i'll swallow all my meds
Grande D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 10:20 PM   #62
david05111

My Ride: drei hundert dreißig
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grande D View Post
Seriously?! Tell me what they put in the bill that you'd object to, because I cannot find it.

Acting like you are puts you on what you believe to be "my level."

Why don't you take two minutes of your time and help me see this from your point of view.
Why would any of us try to get you to see our point of view when you assert that we're paranoid and selfish? Why would we devote any time to that?

"You'll Never Walk Alone"

"Psycho Murican" -- beeemerdude of Canada
david05111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 10:30 PM   #63
Redline

My Ride: ///M3 Vert, 323I
Quote:
Originally Posted by david05111 View Post
Why would any of us try to get you to see our point of view when you assert that we're paranoid and selfish? Why would we devote any time to that?
Which is why I don't waste time with close minded liberals. They get easily offended. I swear I could call a black person the N word and have less repercussions than the sh!tstorm that will ensue if I say something that a liberal doesn't agree with or "offends them"

Redline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 10:32 PM   #64
mattcarle21

My Ride: is Breakin My Wallet
I'm curious too. And speaking of easily offended, aren't you guys being a little easily offended too?

Autozone is for wannabee's, carefull cuz most of them want to be BMW owners - but can't.- Freeflow
mattcarle21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 10:35 PM   #65
david05111

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattcarle21 View Post
I'm curious too. And speaking of easily offended, aren't you guys being a little easily offended too?
I don't take offense. I take exception to wanting to have a reasoned debate and having degrading into personal attacks. It seems to devolve into this so easily

Old 04-17-2013, 10:37 PM   #66
Redline

Quote:
Why don't you take two minutes of your time and help me see this from your point of view.
Well since you asked so nicely, here's what things look like from my point of view. Kinda dark seeing as I'm in bed about to go to sleep to get up early and go to work. Someone's gotta pay for all those bums you guys allow to be on welfare...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByBimmerApp1366256201.976114.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	49.9 KB
ID:	501097  

Last edited by Redline; 04-17-2013 at 11:06 PM.
Old 04-17-2013, 10:47 PM   #67
mattcarle21

Quote:
Well since you asked so nicely, here's what things look like from my point of view. Kinda dark seeing as I'm in bed about to go to sleep to get up early and go to work. Someone's gotta pay for all those bums you guys allow to be on welfare...
Because welfare didn't exist before this administration This is the same stupid generalizations that you are harping about being thrown at you.

Autozone is for wannabee's, carefull cuz most of them want to be BMW owners - but can't.- Freeflow
Old 04-17-2013, 10:48 PM   #68
Dinan e36

My Ride: LEXUS IS350
Send a message via AIM to Dinan e36
Congrats, more guns to kill people.
Old 04-17-2013, 10:49 PM   #69
mattcarle21

Why did you change that Redline? Is that not how you interpret it?

Old 04-17-2013, 10:50 PM   #70
Grande D

Quote:
Originally Posted by david05111 View Post
I don't take offense. I take exception to wanting to have a reasoned debate and having degrading into personal attacks. It seems to devolve into this so easily
Maybe you can pick up for Redline and answer. I'm not the only one who's curious.

If you don't see yourself as paranoid or selfish, fine. You say you have thick skin, well then let's continue.

Enlighten me as to what was wrong with the bill that got shot down (besides the background checks- which most seem okay with). It seems there were other things in this bill that I missed.

Also if you could provide me with a link surrounding the bill you mentioned, that'd be great. If you just search the bill on Google, not much comes up honestly.

Old 04-17-2013, 10:53 PM   #71
david05111

Quote:
Maybe you can pick up for Redline and answer. I'm not the only one who's curious.

If you don't see yourself as paranoid or selfish, fine. You say you have thick skin, well then let's continue.

Enlighten me as to what was wrong with the bill that got shot down (besides the background checks- which most seem okay with). It seems there were other things in this bill that I missed.

Also if you could provide me with a link surrounding the bill you mentioned, that'd be great. If you just search the bill on Google, not much comes up honestly.
I might. But not tonight, maybe tomorrow. Almost bed time for me.

Old 04-17-2013, 11:23 PM   #72
TSR6

My Ride: Keg Sled
Quote:
Originally Posted by MpoweredM View Post
My personal qualm and disagreement with it was it included family transfers. I would need the governments approval to give my son for example a gun?
^^ This.

The problem I have with the background checks directly - to loan someone a gun (family, close friend, what have you...) you'd litterally have to go in, do a background check to transfer it to the person borrowing. Once they're done with their hunt, you'd have to go in again, do another check to transfer it back...

My local gun shop (30 min away) charges for transfers - It's $25 a pop. The next closest gun shop charges $75 for FFL transfers. -- All this hassle so my brother, father, or close friend can borrow a larger caliber gun of mine to go say Elk hunting?

The other aspect that I do not like is the amendments included with this... The Semi-Auto Weapon ban, the magazine capacity ban to name a few...

The biggest aspect that I don't like, is this whole legislative process that was started in regards to gun control was sparked by an incident in which would not have been prevented by any single measure that is being proposed. I truly wish these folks would sit down and realize we have a PEOPLE problem, not a guns, bombs, ect problem. What is causing these kids, folks, people to get messed up in the head to where this is acceptable?

Theres my rant for the night.
Old 04-17-2013, 11:25 PM   #73
Grande D

Quote:
Originally Posted by TSR6 View Post
^^ This.

The problem I have with the background checks directly - to loan someone a gun (family, close friend, what have you...) you'd litterally have to go in, do a background check to transfer it to the person borrowing. Once they're done with their hunt, you'd have to go in again, do another check to transfer it back...

My local gun shop (30 min away) charges for transfers - It's $25 a pop. The next closest gun shop charges $75 for FFL transfers. -- All this hassle so my brother, father, or close friend can borrow a larger caliber gun of mine to go say Elk hunting?

The other aspect that I do not like is the amendments included with this... The Semi-Auto Weapon ban, the magazine capacity ban to name a few...

The biggest aspect that I don't like, is this whole legislative process that was started in regards to gun control was sparked by an incident in which would not have been prevented by any single measure that is being proposed. I truly wish these folks would sit down and realize we have a PEOPLE problem, not a guns, bombs, ect problem. What is causing these kids, folks, people to get messed up in the head to where this is acceptable?

You make some good points.

To solve the issue with loaning guns, you could either create a government registration system- where you can loan a gun out like a car but liability is yours- or you could have a private industry insurance type of deal for gun owners that is mandated. Obviously- the insurance would require background checks to insure you in the first place. You could loan the gun out then I suppose.

Thoughts on that?

Old 04-17-2013, 11:30 PM   #74
Redline

^or you can just leave it as it is

Last edited by Redline; 04-17-2013 at 11:36 PM.
Old 04-17-2013, 11:31 PM   #75
david05111

Quote:
You make some good points.

To solve the issue with loaning guns, you could either create a government registration system- where you can loan a gun out like a car but liability is yours- or you could have a private industry insurance type of deal for gun owners that is mandated. Obviously- the insurance would require background checks to insure you in the first place. You could loan the gun out then I suppose.

Thoughts on that?
Outright oppose. A mandate to purchase insurance places a financial burden on all, including those who are less fortunate who might not be able to afford it. It amounts to a poll tax, a tax/fee to exercise a constitutional right.

And we oppose registration, for reasons I've already enumerated.

Old 04-17-2013, 11:42 PM   #76
mattcarle21

Quote:
Originally Posted by TSR6 View Post
^^ This.

All good points, and finally some substance here. So, it was a sure deal that you would need a check everytime you transfer? How long does the check last before it expires, and do they give you documentation? I could see maybe some card being made that needed to be renewed periodically, but yea that would be a pain. I mentioned in a different thread a while back that psychological tests should be done more so than background checks, so I agree there. I got jumped on for saying that though, but honestly I don't see how that could be a definite process that wasn't easily fooled either. The problem now is access, and really it's too late to fix that. There are so many guns out there, someone (with enough money) can get one. This problem is so difficult because we have to work at it in reverse. Honestly, it may be too late to have any real change now. Even looking at the future (if strict laws were in place) we would still have an enormous amount of guns out in circulation. Like you said it's in the psychology of the shooters. Background checks could catch the most obvious suspects, but as said before with enough money you can get a gun in other ways. Having thought about this for awhile, I really believe we are already in too deep. Everyone is not a psychologist or psychiatrist, but I do believe a public campaign made by these professionals would help. Similiar to the DARE campaign that got it out in public, it wouldn't hurt to have some kind of campaign that would help the general public look for signs of mentally instable people or dangerous patterns of behavior that could be reported. I know this could lead to a storm of infringements and profiling though. Any other ideas?

Last edited by mattcarle21; 04-17-2013 at 11:46 PM.
Old 04-17-2013, 11:44 PM   #77
mattcarle21

Quote:
^or you can just leave it as it is
Did we awaken you? Better get back to sleep so I can get my check and buy diapers and malt liquor!

Old 04-17-2013, 11:55 PM   #78
Tom5933
<3s Euro-Spec

My Ride: 2003 325i
The way I see it, is that people opposed to background checks are more afraid of the next piece of legislation going after guns. It doesn't appear that further background checks will end the gun control debate and they are worried that if you give them an inch (background checks), they will take a mile later on (gun registration, etc..). They don't want to begin down a slippery slope.
Old 04-18-2013, 12:30 AM   #79
NFRs2000nyc

My Ride: 2003 FormulaRedS2000
I've said many times. I will concede to background checks if...

1)Gun laws are stripped from states, and become federal.
2)All guns, including 50cals, full autos, mini gattlers, etc are legal to own.
3) Background checks are done once, not everytime someone buys a gun. There is no reason to check weekly if the person was arrested. The systems can be united and scannable. The buyer pays to have the card issued to them, but the checks are free (since they will be computerized.)
4) CCW and open carrying become legal on every square inch of the country, except courts and other sensitive government buildings.
5) Law passed that the top 4 can't be messed with.

Give me those 5, and you can have your background checks.
Old 04-18-2013, 12:46 AM   #80
Act of God
E46Fanatic

My Ride: 3.5 Liters of fury
Send a message via AIM to Act of God
Obama seems like someone who has never been told "no" in his life. He's the most divisive president I can remember, all partisan politics all the time.