E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Suspension & Braking Forum by BimmerWorld

Suspension & Braking Forum by BimmerWorld
Have some questions about suspension or brake setups for your E46 BMW? Get all your answers here!
Sponsored by BimmerWorld

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 04-17-2013, 07:48 PM   #1
330iBlue

My Ride: 05 330i
Control arm bushings?

Hey guys, had my oil changed at dealership. I know that is blasphemy, but it only cost $90 and I got a much needed car wash. Anyway, they said both CR bushings are worn out and should be replaced. My question is, should I just replace just the bushings or replace the whole arm, which i believe ,already have the bushing pressed in them?
330iBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 04-17-2013, 07:59 PM   #2
jzwu

My Ride: 2005 BMW 330Cic
Just the bushings.
jzwu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 08:03 PM   #3
noobsthename

My Ride: 2001 330i
The brackets have the bushings pressed in them... then the brackets are pressed onto the arms. You can't buy the arms with the bushings pre-pressed, you are thinking of the brackets. the brackets PN# 31126783376... get the Meyle ones.
noobsthename is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 08:04 PM   #4
Megalocnus

My Ride: 05 330i ZHP/MT
The bushings at the inner ends of the control arms are removable, the ball joints at the outer ends and in the middle are not.
Generally the bushings wear out faster than the ball joints (my old control arms went through three bushing sets). The bushings are already pressed in metal brackets that are completely separate from the control arms.
Chances are you need to replace just the bushings, but it can't hurt to test the ball joints before doing this - just in case.

Last edited by Megalocnus; 04-17-2013 at 08:05 PM.
Megalocnus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 09:03 PM   #5
330iBlue

Thanks guys for the clarification. Follow up question on testing the ball joints. Can you test if with out having go take it of the car? I like to order online and have it ready once I start pulling things off the car?
Old 04-17-2013, 10:01 PM   #6
haurelio

My Ride: 2001 bmw 325i
you can order from bmaparts.com, usually deliver within 2 days sometimes even next day

Also can code your car
haurelio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 10:11 PM   #7
choxor

My Ride: JDM
Old 04-18-2013, 12:17 PM   #8
Bimmerguy91

My Ride: 07 Z4MC
Depends on the condition of your ball joints. I just replaced my front control arms and fcab's. I used Febi parts
Bimmerguy91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 09:03 AM   #9
Xtiananything

My Ride: '01 330i Mtech1
I just replaced my left and right front control arm bushings yesterday. You just need the bracket with bushing in it, not the whole arm. Or if you want, just get the bushing, but popping it out and inserting the new one is kinda tough. I'd spend the $10-$20 extra for the bracket with bushing inserted already
Xtiananything is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 09:26 AM   #10
BMWCaptain

Location: TEXAS - Where I give Real World advice and don't just criticize others. People here need to RESPECT other's opinions!
My Ride: 03 325iT SportWagon
Just replace the control ARM bushing. Check ball joints to see if they could be bad.

Use 2/3 jaw puller to remove and dishsoap to put them on.

Engine swap, HG, tranny swap, GM & ZF tranny rebuilds, shocks, struts, brakes, WPs, Thermostats, belts, tensioners, fuel pumps, radiators, window regs, hoses, PS pump, Spark Plugs, VCGs, coils, fuel filters, CVVs, VANOS seals, rack, LCABs, Exp. Tanks, OFHGs, RCABs, OP, boots, ABS, GUIDOs, starter, A/C, DISA, Diff, SAP

Ultra Premium Grand 10 Star+ Super Duper BMW-pedic Sport Plus +++
BMWCaptain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 10:15 AM   #11
330iBlue

I have 330i 05, do I have to remove the whole control arm from the car to install new bushings?
Old 05-23-2013, 01:51 PM   #12
BMWCaptain

Location: TEXAS - Where I give Real World advice and don't just criticize others. People here need to RESPECT other's opinions!
Quote:
Originally Posted by 330iBlue View Post
I have 330i 05, do I have to remove the whole control arm from the car to install new bushings?
No removal of ARM needed. Just pull the old one off and install the new one. Use dishsoap as a lubricant.

Engine swap, HG, tranny swap, GM & ZF tranny rebuilds, shocks, struts, brakes, WPs, Thermostats, belts, tensioners, fuel pumps, radiators, window regs, hoses, PS pump, Spark Plugs, VCGs, coils, fuel filters, CVVs, VANOS seals, rack, LCABs, Exp. Tanks, OFHGs, RCABs, OP, boots, ABS, GUIDOs, starter, A/C, DISA, Diff, SAP

Old 05-23-2013, 02:00 PM   #13
Red 90

My Ride: 325i
Do a quick search on youtube for E46 bushings and there are plenty of diy videos there. It's a pretty simple procedure especially if you buy the bushing with the carrier on it.
Red 90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 10:37 PM   #14
kfiggins

My Ride: e46 330ci ZHP
Control arm bushings?

Just replace bushings with oem

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
kfiggins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 09:43 PM   #15
330iBlue

Did the bushings this weekend. Hats off to the local guy at Advance Auto. He had this tool kit made to push off the bushing instead of pulling it off. This prevented my from damaging the ball joints on the arm control. The left bushing (driver) was really damaged coated to the right one. Not sure why? Any ways, no more thump when I go over bumps. Good feeling!!!
Old 06-10-2013, 10:50 PM   #16
BMWCaptain

Quote:
Originally Posted by 330iBlue View Post
Did the bushings this weekend. Hats off to the local guy at Advance Auto. He had this tool kit made to push off the bushing instead of pulling it off. This prevented my from damaging the ball joints on the arm control. The left bushing (driver) was really damaged coated to the right one. Not sure why? Any ways, no more thump when I go over bumps. Good feeling!!!
What is the name of the tool you used?

Old 06-10-2013, 11:15 PM   #17
330iBlue

Don't know the name but here is the picture of the case and here it is attached to the left arm control pulling out the inner tubing of what was left of the bushing.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByBimmerApp1370923758.652453.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	52.5 KB
ID:	510432   Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByBimmerApp1370923825.262314.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	71.4 KB
ID:	510435  
Old 06-11-2013, 06:40 AM   #18
BMWCaptain

Nice, thanks for the picture.

I will check with my local Advance to see if they have one.

Old 06-11-2013, 07:52 AM   #19
Astheros

My Ride: 2005 330ci
Re: Control arm bushings?

Guys...I am about to do this 2. Are the polyurethane bushings worth it? And is 125$ for labor a good price? I dont have a garage so diy is hard for me.

Instagram: astherosphoto
Astheros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 11:31 AM   #20
330iBlue

Not sure about the poly. I got the Meyle HD bushings that came already pressed in the metal bracket. If you have to press them yourself, get the Meyle. Too bad about not having garage, but $125 to install, I think is far. I got my bushings at BMA auto. They good price and usually free shipping. Here is a picture of the old one and the new Meyle. This is the front driver side bushing. It was far worse then the passenger side.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByBimmerApp1370968165.023904.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	67.9 KB
ID:	510496