E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > Gun Talk

Gun Talk
Are you a gun fanatic as well? If so, you'll want to talk to other owners about what you own in this forum.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-17-2013, 09:38 PM   #1
GasKing

My Ride: 14 Jeep Wrangler
Conceal carry in business attire?

Next few weeks il being wearing suits daily, want to CC without having it print on my attire. I recently acquired a glock 26 so thats what il be carrying. I was thinking carrying inside my jacket pocket with a pocket holster, people say it dosnt print if jacket is tailored right. Any other tips?
GasKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 09:45 PM   #2
tailo

My Ride: 02 330I
Any one of the many kydex/leather iwb holsters. I can CC a full sized 1911 in my crossbreed with a t shirt and not print.

http://thepackingrat.net/2011/02/19/...rtuck-holster/

tailo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 09:49 PM   #3
budman
-not a mod-

My Ride: is your mom
Send a message via AIM to budman Send a message via Yahoo to budman
I wear my Blackhawk Serpa with my suit all the time.. basically open carrying but covered and honestly most people dont even notice.. so if you have any sort of iwb holster you should be ok..

Sent from my damn phone
Old 04-17-2013, 11:29 PM   #4
Reedo302

My Ride: F30 328i M Sport
If you're going to have your jacket on, carrying in an high ride OWB holster works the best with the most amount of comfort. Something like a leather Galco or Gould & Goodrich holster, or even better, a Raven Concealment Phantom Modular holster (or similar custom kydex). A shoulder holster is going to be very comfortable as well.
If you are going to be taking your jacket off and want concealment, a tuckable IWB holster is the best option. I personally use the CrossBreed SuperTuck Deluxe, but there are numerous companies making tuckable IWBs.

Gunfighter Training Development and Evaluation
AR15/AR10 Armorer/Advanced Armorer
Glock Armorer

Gunfighter Training YouTube Channel
Reedo302 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 11:39 PM   #5
JDez

My Ride: 2001 330i
I would get a shoulder holster or a IWB holster. I have an old faithful one I use for my EDC and I love it. Its really comfortable, even with my bulky XDm. They have a 30 day money back guarantee too

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Bimmer App

Last edited by JDez; 04-17-2013 at 11:39 PM.
JDez is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 06:31 AM   #6
GlockMan

My Ride: Suburban LT 4x4
Buy an Airweight.

What about ankle holster? Better than nothing and out of the way.

Ranting about Panny plasmas, Canon cameras, Glocks, BlueNile, and HDMI cables on a BMW board since 2005.

2007 Chevy Suburban LT 4x4 with Nav/Bose/DVD/JL (works for me)
1968 Ford Mustang with Polk/ADS (my first car)

2007 Lexus GS350 with every option
2000 BMW DINAN M5
2001 BMW 330ci
GlockMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 08:57 AM   #7
SLVR JDM

My Ride: reclining rear seats
If you know you'll have your jacket on, IWB will be just fine.

** Removed **
SLVR JDM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 10:54 AM   #8
GasKing

Quote:
Originally Posted by tailo View Post
Any one of the many kydex/leather iwb holsters. I can CC a full sized 1911 in my crossbreed with a t shirt and not print.

http://thepackingrat.net/2011/02/19/...rtuck-holster/

Word
Old 04-18-2013, 10:55 AM   #9
GasKing

Yea that maybe route I'm gona go. Just gota make sure nothing is seen. It's ny afterl
Old 04-18-2013, 10:57 AM   #10
GasKing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reedo302 View Post
If you're going to have your jacket on, carrying in an high ride OWB holster works the best with the most amount of comfort. Something like a leather Galco or Gould & Goodrich holster, or even better, a Raven Concealment Phantom Modular holster (or similar custom kydex). A shoulder holster is going to be very comfortable as well.
If you are going to be taking your jacket off and want concealment, a tuckable IWB holster is the best option. I personally use the CrossBreed SuperTuck Deluxe, but there are numerous companies making tuckable IWBs.
I will be taking my jacket off sometimes. So I'm prob gona iwb
Old 04-18-2013, 11:03 AM   #11
SLVR JDM

My Ride: reclining rear seats
Get a good gun belt which matches your attire and you're set.

** Removed **
SLVR JDM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 09:02 AM   #12
SPDSKTR

My Ride: E30 with an S52
I have a Crossbreed Supertuck I carry my S&W M&P 9mm in. It seems to only print when I lean forward. Any advice on how to reduce this?

330i/Ci Bang for the Buck Horsepower Guide
Want 5% off any BimmerBrakes.com purchase? PM me for details!
SPDSKTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 12:58 PM   #13
Celerity

My Ride: 04 325CI
Ah, this is actually a good topic. I conceal everything from the major (combat size glocks) to the tiny (An LCP that goes everywhere with me... because... why not ?)

A typical suit jacket cut will expose a full frame. The Tails of certain jacket styles love to crease up and tuck in behind even a high IWB solution. I use a Don Hume OWB and a Desantis IWB for Glock.

I find kidney carry of a Beretta 84, Bersa 380 Thunder or the like to be most effective. I will choose a IWB that brings the grip below the belt line. Sitting is a bit of an issue (I can feel it, and the muzzle is usually pointed right at the babalooz).

Shoulder rigs also work, but I wear it only my vest or deep concealment within the button-down shirt. Draw is the most difficult thing in the damned world.

Ankle rigs are only good if you wear combat boots (No matter how you cinch most of these up, they tend to just drop to your heels. The combat boots keep it up above the hemline VERY well)

In a suit I will carry primarily the Beretta 84 in a shoulder rig, the LCP in appendix carry (again, below the belt line ) and a 38sp j-frame in an ankle rig. On top of that, about 60 rounds of reloads in the bag, pockets, or shoulder rig itself.

During the winter I carry the Fn 5.7 in a high-riding IWB Desantis, but I wear it outside of my shirt. I also carry it at about the 5 o'clock position. Winter coats help with this carry, and my vest fully conceals the print and profile of the gun - even though it's outside of my shirt. Winter time carry also accounts for my assailants wearing down parkas and the like, and the 5.7 round is chosen to penetrate that sort of "Urban Bodyarmor".

Being that I work in CT, this year will change my carry habits entirely. I have to make sure I don't scare the LEO with my amount of ammo, and my quantity of firearms. I will likely be forced into just the .38 revolver.. Just to not scare the sheep.
Celerity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 06:41 PM   #14
Reedo302

Something to consider with regard to using the 5.7 for your purposes:
There are current standard pistol caliber loads (9mm, .40, .45 etc) that are designed to function properly despite those down parkas and the thick Carhart jackets. Federal HST being the best, but Remington Golden Saber Bonded, Hornady Critical Duty and Winchester Bonded PDX-1/RA9B all work quite well without clogging issues. Considering the significant documented shortcomings of small caliber subgun loads like the 5.7x28 and 4.6x30 by the top ballistics experts in the industry, have you looked into changing guns and calibers as a primary carry option?

Glock Armorer

Old 04-22-2013, 02:22 AM   #15
Celerity

My Ride: 04 325CI
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reedo302 View Post
have you looked into changing guns and calibers as a primary carry option?
I'm familiar with the ballistics of the ammunition that I carry. Carry will always be a personal choice, after and even before all your research is complete.

I enjoy the 5.7 for many of it's behaviors, not just one. In 9mm, for instance, I choose an FMJ round over the JHP stuff. Feeding angles on the pieces that I own (only 2 in 9mm.. I'm not the biggest fan) also seems to enjoy the FMJ load-out as well.

I have only played around with my .45 when the idea struck me to grab a down coat, set it up on a post, and actually see what it does. Well, the damage was about similar to a hammer strike at full force blow. The jacket was penetrated, but the hydra-shok was easily found in the post. I haven't replicated the experiment since.

You'll note that I carry the 38 special, and two 380ACPs in my business carry. I HATE the 380 round. I really do. But these little softball rounds happened to be the small ones in my collection that are good for carry. Were money no object, I would upgrade the LCP to the LC9, put the Beretta 84 in the safe (It's an old Italian model) and upgrade the 38 to a 357. But I love the trigger in my old, beat-up Smith iron too much to simply cast it aside. None of the .380s that I carry are rated for +p ammo.
Celerity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 02:46 AM   #16
Reedo302

I want to just offer some thoughts, and I'm saying this as someone who has access to restricted data that most people do not. It's only meant to present a different perspective, as I know some people don't have all this information and could benefit from it.
Not trying to tell you how to run your life, just how to fight more efficiently. Food for thought. Take it or toss it.

First, the 5.7x28 is ballistically inconsistent, and equal to a .22 Magnum according to IWBA testing. Don't count on it reliably stopping a theat. This is why both the 5.7 and 4.6 are being dumped by major groups that started using them, like the Secret Service, CAG and SEALs. CAG and SEALs opting to go to the .300BLK 9" AAC uppers for suppressed CQB use. Even for those that use the sub-caliber loads like 5.7, the standard SOP is to run it like a fire hose and spray the target. Average pentration depths are either insufficient and very shallow, or in the case of FMJ loads, they tend to zip through, causing very little crush cavity damage. Since they are too slow for temporary cavitation to cause damage, the only damage you get is from the actual tissue physically touched by the bullet. It is because of this issue that top name LE ammunition manufacturers like ATK (Federal/Speer), Remington, Winchester and Hornady won't touch 5.7mm or 4.6mm ammo with a 10ft pole.

Second, shooting a wooden post tells you nothing. Unless you're using proper ordnance grade 10% ballistic gel at specified temperatures, or you're shooting a hog carcass, you will not get anything remotely accurate for testing results. Wood is very dense and fiberous, and can stop rounds quite easily.

Third, parkas are not as big of an issue as you would imagine. If I can put a .40S&W JHP through Level IIA soft armor, the average person would have no problem putting pistol bullets through a down parka.

Fourth, the Hydra-Shok is known to clog and has a bad design. The Federal HST and the Tactical Bonded JHP are their good loads. The Hydra-Shok is not. Through our testing, it exhibited a lot of issues through hard barriers like glass, and it clogged easily with the 4 layer denim test.

Fifth, if you are going to use the .380, all JHP loads, regardless of manufacturer, underpenetrate. It is actually recommended by ballistic experts that you use FMJ for .380.

For larger than .380, FMJ bullets are not ideal because they create a sub-caliber crush cavity, and they are prone to over-penetration, which causes concern for collateral damage.

Glock Armorer

Last edited by Reedo302; 04-22-2013 at 03:54 AM.
Old 04-22-2013, 08:57 PM   #17
shwagon
OEM ///Member

My Ride: 325it 5-speed
LCP is in the pocket of my khakis everyday at work.
My Gun Builds: AR-15, GSG-522-SD, Saiga 308
shwagon is offline   Reply With Quote