E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > General Off-Topic

General Off-Topic
Everything not about BMWs. Posts must be "primetime" safe and in good taste. You must be logged in to see sub-forums.
Click here to browse all new posts.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-18-2013, 12:36 PM   #1
DylloS

My Ride: nothing
Cruise next month. Ideas for those who've been to these islands...

Going to San Juan, Half moon Cay Bahamas, St Thomas, Grand Turk. Looking for suggestions on what to do.

I've been to San Juan- kind of crappy place. Nothing to do but walk around and get drunk

I was also in St Thomas and did a catamaran snorkel thing and saw Magans bay or whatever it's called. I liked that a lot.
DylloS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 12:40 PM   #2
Fergo

My Ride: still a gay 135i
Been to the VI.... Such a beautiful place, especially st john

2 easy 2 make hp turbos
Fergo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 12:45 PM   #3
cowmoo32
drunken science

My Ride: Trek 1.5
My sister dated a guy that runs a restaurant down in Turks and Caicos but I'm not sure if it's on Grand Turk or not. She's been down a few times and from what I've gathered there isn't a whole lot to do other than lay on the beach and drink.

flickher

What's this about a brownie in motion?

Last edited by cowmoo32; 04-18-2013 at 12:46 PM.
cowmoo32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 12:49 PM   #4
HiHoBrian
OEM ///Member

My Ride: 05 M3
I went to Megans bay as well. It is real nice there,I've seen on TV that nearby St. Johns Beach is the #1 beach in the world if you are into hot rich women and beautiful scenery.

sent from my ATARI sc1224
Old 04-18-2013, 12:59 PM   #5
z00

My Ride: E46 M3 Manual
Just walk around and show your ass, you'll have fun. Don't drink too much so you won't get violated.
z00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 01:13 PM   #6
DylloS

My Ride: nothing
I'd like to do the beach thing along with sight seeing. I guess ill figure it out.
DylloS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 01:21 PM   #7
ThEnder

My Ride: has twin turbos
There's good shopping for jewelry and liqueur in Charlotte Amalie, St. Thomas if you are into that. There are also a few good restaurants around the town, Cuzzin's has good Caribbean style food, the Blue Door in French Town has good Euro style cuisine, and the neapolitan pizza place in the A.H. Rise complex downtown is actually pretty good too. If you need some footwear, stop by Zora's in Charlotte Amalie and get some custom sandals.

Most of the good sights in the USVI are on St. John and difficult to access if you are on a cruise ship and only there for a day. If you have time, you could take the ferry over to St. John and rent a jeep. St. John has a ton of hiking trails and snorkel/dive opportunities but most require a ride from the main town of Cruz Bay.
Old 04-18-2013, 01:23 PM   #8
217Bimmer

My Ride: 2001 BMW 330i
pretend you're lance bass and never pay for a meal
217Bimmer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 01:28 PM   #9
IdahoToyo

My Ride: 4WD Tundra / GS500F
Jealous man, I could use a sunny vacation cruise right about now. Having never been to any of those locations I can't give much insight. However I've always been a fan of just wandering around and immersing yourself in the culture and find some random adventures to have. Love me some snorkeling and just relaxing on the beach.

The difference between school and life? In school, you're taught a lesson and then given a test. In life, you're given a test that teaches you a lesson.
IdahoToyo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 01:31 PM   #10
mattcarle21

My Ride: is Breakin My Wallet
You're going on the exact same cruise I did last year when I got married.

1. Half moon Cay is nothing but a small island with a small party city right at port. They have a huge pirate ship with a dance club I believe, and an area with outside bars/souvenirs etc. We sat on the beach and drank. Went swimming in the ocean and drank. Not much else to do except get involved with some goofy competitions they have. Beautiful scene though sitting on the beach.

2. San Juan like you said isn't much. Many will go see the old fort, but it looked pretty boring. We got a tour guide and drove around for an hour in a van, and he gave us history lessons (blah). We got bored of that and stopped at the Pina Colada place (apparently home of the first Pina Colada) and had drinks, then went shopping around the open market area, then left. Not much else to do there really.

3. St. Thomas we got married, so we didn't see much. Went straight off the boat to the ceremony, then back on the boat for the reception. There seemed to be a good bit to explore, but not really sure. Pulling up to port was beautiful with the mountains and hundreds of sailboats out in the bay.

4. Grand turks we got off and there really wasn't much kinda like Half Moon. Most people just sat around eating/drinking and buying souvenirs. My wife and I wanted to get away and explore, so we rented a scooter and took off around the island. Not really much to see, but near 3rd world conditions. We stopped at a little shack type secluded restaurant on the beach and had lunch and a couple drinks. The scooter ended up not restarting, and luckily the owner of the bar (Canadian lady who just moved there on a whim) gave us a ride back to port so we didn't miss our snorkel trip. The snorkeling was pretty good, and I'd say worth it for $50. Got to pet a couple nurse sharks swimming by and see some decent reefs and tropical fish.

So, snorkeling would be a suggested excursion, and exploring what St. Thomas has to offer (besides matrimony). The excursions they list usually have user ratings (1-5 star) and were very helpful. I would not do anything below a four star rating. Have fun, and hope you don't get stuck . What boat are you on? We took the Liberty.

Autozone is for wannabee's, carefull cuz most of them want to be BMW owners - but can't.- Freeflow
mattcarle21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 01:36 PM   #11
Breezy

My Ride: LSB M3, saab 900s
Quote:
Originally Posted by HiHoBrian View Post
I went to Megans bay as well. It is real nice there,I've seen on TV that nearby St. Johns Beach is the #1 beach in the world if you are into hot rich women and beautiful scenery.

sent from my ATARI sc1224
It's crazy that it's rated so highly..Megans bay is cool but nothing close to beaches in Barbados. I liked it when I went though, but that was before I moved to Bados temporarily.
Breezy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 01:36 PM   #12
Carskibum

My Ride: E90
Send a message via AIM to Carskibum
San juan... go to el batay. It is the perfect dive bar if there was ever one. The fort is also very impressive and close to cruise port.

St Thomas... make it st john, beautiful snorkling.
Old 04-18-2013, 01:37 PM   #13
Breezy

I second St. John, or if you can make it to any of the BVI, Tortolla specifically.
Old 04-18-2013, 01:40 PM   #14
mattcarle21

My Ride: is Breakin My Wallet
I'm sure he will have much success telling the captain to steer toward St. John instead of St. Thomas because a forum celebrating 10 year old BMWs told him it's legit.

Autozone is for wannabee's, carefull cuz most of them want to be BMW owners - but can't.- Freeflow
mattcarle21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 01:43 PM   #15
Breezy

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattcarle21 View Post
I'm sure he will have much success telling the captain to steer toward St. John instead of St. Thomas because a forum celebrating 10 year old BMWs told him it's legit.
Don't they stop for a day or so there? He could easily do that, although I don't know how cruises work with logistics of being back at place x at a certain time..which is why I don't do cruises. That and all the poop problems lately on these ships.
Old 04-18-2013, 01:59 PM   #16
GlockMan

My Ride: Suburban LT 4x4
St John
Bacardi Factory and Forts in San Juan
Magans Bay

Ranting about Panny plasmas, Canon cameras, Glocks, BlueNile, and HDMI cables on a BMW board since 2005.

2007 Chevy Suburban LT 4x4 with Nav/Bose/DVD/JL (works for me)
1968 Ford Mustang with Polk/ADS (my first car)

2007 Lexus GS350 with every option
2000 BMW DINAN M5
2001 BMW 330ci
GlockMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 02:01 PM   #17
GRIFFIN
NWS

My Ride: 04 330i zsp,zpp,zcw
if taking a Carnival cruise learn to liek the taste of sh1t.

** Removed - Please stop - Tim330i **
*NWS GIF REMOVED*
*GIF REMOVED*
* Continuing to put animated images in your sig will get you banned - Tim330i *
**You make me so horny.- Tim330i **
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedges View Post
I can honestly say that because of Griffin, i am desensitized to alot of wierd stuff!
GRIFFIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 02:14 PM   #18
NFRs2000nyc

My Ride: 2003 FormulaRedS2000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fergo_the_mule View Post
Been to the VI.... Such a beautiful place, especially st john
This. The other places are ok, but if you have a full day on St Thomas, take a Ferry over to St John and head out to Trunk Bay.

It's like swimming in a screensaver. DO NOT waste your money on restaurants on ANY of those islands. I have been at all the best restaurants on various Caribbean islands, and they are all crap, overpriced to hell, and are made to fleece tourists. Do yourself a favor and eat cheap local food, which is 100x better.

Last edited by NFRs2000nyc; 04-18-2013 at 02:19 PM.
NFRs2000nyc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 02:38 PM   #19
v8 5

My Ride: 6 speed BMW

We have 4 websites within the family.
v8 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 02:40 PM   #20
CollinsE90

My Ride: 330i
Quote:
Originally Posted by v8 5 View Post
He's going on a cruise, not San Francisco.