E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > E46 Xi Forum

E46 Xi Forum
The E46 XI was produced from 01-05 in sedan and touring body styles. Powered by either a 2.5L inline 6 in the 325xi or a 3.0L inline 6 330xi. Discuss all thing about BMW AWD E46 'Xi' here.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-18-2013, 02:43 PM   #1
xDLXSFx

My Ride: 2002 325xi
BMW Mechanics: HELP!

I really need some BMW mechanic help and advice!

I just replaced a M54B25 engine in my 2002 325xi, everything went in smoothly, and everything triple checked with connections. We are having lots of codes thrown and barely any throttle response.

Car starts up; idles kind of rough and fluctuates, but mellows out. You can't FULLY rev up the RPMs either; there is a great loss of power when driving. The codes on the cluster are EML, Engine Service, ABS, BRAKE, and that Exclamation Mark in the triangle. Key note: I did have a different cluster from another car in mine since my old one broke and thought maybe that was the cause. Well I swapped my old cluster back in, same thing.

I talked to a mechanic at a BMW Indy Shop and he said that the EML light can cause the car to go in a certain mode that will result in a loss of power to save the engine. He told me to keep the original cluster in and clear the codes and see what comes back - havent gotten that far yet.

Does anyone have any other good guesses or suggestions to what it could be and what I should do? There is no dealership where I am so wont be able to calibrate the cluster till I get the car functional; thats why Im stuck! Please help guys; Ive waited a year to get to this point, and now Im stuck again!
xDLXSFx is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 04-18-2013, 02:50 PM   #2
taveet330i

My Ride: Jet Black 2002 330i
Seems like your car is in limp mode. It basically shuts down all electronically controlled functions in the car and in our cars its pretty much everything- traction control, TPMS, your electronic throttle control (ETC), braking and steering systems. Either hook it up and pull the codes or have the shop do it. There are many causes of this and it cannot be pinpointed without the codes

[bimmerapp]

Old 04-18-2013, 02:57 PM   #3
bmwbob89

My Ride: M-5 325 X3 528 740
You really need to get the codes read and cleared. First off try to turn the key on for 10 seconds and shut it off for 10 seconds. Do not start the car during this. It may just need to throttle to re calibrate. Then start the car and see if the throttle works. Try that before you go any further. If the problem is still there then get the codes read out.

Read this:
http://home.comcast.net/~jns-johnson..._Procedure.pdf

Last edited by bmwbob89; 04-18-2013 at 03:02 PM.
bmwbob89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 02:59 PM   #4
xDLXSFx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taveet 330i Dallas View Post
Seems like your car is in limp mode. It basically shuts down all electronically controlled functions in the car and in our cars its pretty much everything- traction control, TPMS, your electronic throttle control (ETC), braking and steering systems. Either hook it up and pull the codes or have the shop do it. There are many causes of this and it cannot be pinpointed without the codes

[bimmerapp]

Thanks; yea it was like Christmas on my cluster - so many damn lights! Hopefully clearing the codes will get the car out of "limp" mode? And will run fine again? When I run down there again tonight, I will make sure to see what codes are being thrown.
Old 04-18-2013, 03:01 PM   #5
xDLXSFx

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwbob89 View Post
You really need to get the codes read and cleared. First off try to turn the key on for a minute and shut it off for a minute. Do not start the car during this. It may just need to throttle to re calibrate. Then start the car and see if the throttle works. Try that before you go any further. If the problem is still there then get the codes read out.
Thank you! I need ALL the help I can get. I dont have BMW mechanics in my city! I will try that as well and see if that will work; I did leave the car running trying to see if it would correct itself, but nope.
Old 04-18-2013, 06:49 PM   #6
xDLXSFx

UPDATE

I did reset the way bmwbob mentioned, and it DID clear the EML code, along with ABS, and BRAKE. But I still have lack of power; won't let me hit high RPMs at all. Plus, when you start the car and turn it back off, it wont let you start again without locking and unlocking doors first, or RESET like bmwbob mentioned.

I pulled the codes and came up with a lot! Keep in mind, that some of these codes are most likely from my old engine and didn't clear 'em before the swap; like the misfires in some cylinders.

Here is the list:

-2: Ignition Coil #4
-3: Ignition Coil #6
-27=P1550: Idle Control Valve Closing Coil
-30: Ignition Coil #3
-36=MS 43: Main relay malfuction
-53=P0155: Idle Control Valve Opening Coil
-68: Evap System; Purge Control Valve Circuit
-210: Ignition Feedback, faulty (>2 cylinders)
-245=P1423: Secondary Air Injection (Bank1), flow too low.
-246=P1421: Secondary Air Injection (Bank2), flow too low.

I did clear all these codes, and even tried resetting again, and still same thing. Now with the codes listed above, can anyone that HAS experience tell me or give me a good suggestion to what it could be? Do I have to "reflash" my DME you think? *headache*
Old 04-18-2013, 10:23 PM   #7
redbull 325is

My Ride: 325xit/6
Send a message via AIM to redbull 325is
Looks like the ICV is dead, try replacing that first. After that i'd smoke test the engine if the problems persist, sounds like you have a massive air issue causing the motor to misfire like a pig (perhaps the hoses around solenoid that controls the secondary air pump valve are leaking/broken)
Old 04-18-2013, 10:39 PM   #8
taveet330i

My Ride: Jet Black 2002 330i
Yes what he said^^ hook up a smoker machine to your intake by removing the airbox and seeing for any leaks in the system. You will see smoke billowing out. Check your ICV and all hoses leading to the manifold. Make sure the manifold has no leaks. And look for restrictions in the intake. Also, remove the coils from their housing and hold slightly above the bottom of the inside of the coil shaft and confirm that it is making electrical contact. (It will look similar to lightening)

[bimmerapp]

Old 04-18-2013, 11:32 PM   #9
BMWCaptain

Location: TEXAS - Where I give Real World advice and don't just criticize others. People here need to RESPECT other's opinions!
My Ride: 03 325iT SportWagon
Check your E-box fuses. There are 5 fuses in there that can affect your sensor, etc.

Verify that all your connections are solid. Confirm your engine harness is firmly attached.

Engine swap, HG, tranny swap, GM & ZF tranny rebuilds, shocks, struts, brakes, WPs, Thermostats, belts, tensioners, fuel pumps, radiators, window regs, hoses, PS pump, Spark Plugs, VCGs, coils, fuel filters, CVVs, VANOS seals, rack, LCABs, Exp. Tanks, OFHGs, RCABs, OP, boots, ABS, GUIDOs, starter, A/C, DISA, Diff, SAP

Ultra Premium Grand 10 Star+ Super Duper BMW-pedic Sport Plus +++
BMWCaptain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 12:38 AM   #10
xDLXSFx

Holy ****! She is UP and RUNNING!! Such a relief!

Guess what the **** was? ..a damn relay fuse!! BMWCaptain, you were right on the money with that one!

I just wanted to seriously thank everyone for their time and help and advice on this matter; I have been through hell and back with this car and finally have it to drive! Even though its just a 2.5, she can pick up and go! I absolute love it! Thanks again guys! I will more than likely be posting pics on here soon!

Love all you E46 fans! Cheers!! =]
Old 04-20-2013, 02:27 AM   #11
BMWCaptain

Location: TEXAS - Where I give Real World advice and don't just criticize others. People here need to RESPECT other's opinions!
Thanks. I try to make suggestions that can help and actually might correct the problem.

Glad you are up and running and really enjoy it.

Where did you pick up your replacement motor?

Engine swap, HG, tranny swap, GM & ZF tranny rebuilds, shocks, struts, brakes, WPs, Thermostats, belts, tensioners, fuel pumps, radiators, window regs, hoses, PS pump, Spark Plugs, VCGs, coils, fuel filters, CVVs, VANOS seals, rack, LCABs, Exp. Tanks, OFHGs, RCABs, OP, boots, ABS, GUIDOs, starter, A/C, DISA, Diff, SAP

Old 04-20-2013, 05:44 PM   #12
xDLXSFx

For sure man; helped a lot. But I believe I just blew that fuse again; back in limp mode. Fun.

Anyways, I got the used replacement from BMR Parts located in Cali. They leakdown test and compression test em; turned out to be a good engine! Had to add a little oil so far, but hope that doesn't mean a leak or burning.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Bimmer App
Old 04-20-2013, 10:08 PM   #13
xDLXSFx

Yea it was that damn fuse again in the E Box. 30A. Replaced and she roars. So future reference for anyone stuck in "limp" mode; check those E Box fuses!!

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Bimmer App
Old 04-21-2013, 01:43 AM   #14
Kubica

My Ride: 2003 325xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWCaptain View Post
Check your E-box fuses. There are 5 fuses in there that can affect your sensor, etc.

Verify that all your connections are solid. Confirm your engine harness is firmly attached.
Nice post.
Kubica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 10:47 AM   #15
BMWCaptain

Check what items are on that 30A fuse. One of the items may be drawing too much current and causing your fuse to blow.

Old 04-21-2013, 02:18 PM   #16
bmwbob89

My Ride: M-5 325 X3 528 740
Check the wiring harness and see if you pinched it somewhere during the installation. It can happen to anybody during a huge repair.
bmwbob89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 03:56 PM   #17
DoubleOhSeven

Hey guys I've been reading all the posts on the EML and can't seem to figure mine out, this is the closest to my circumstances and you all seemed to have an extreme amount of knowledge about it. First off it's an 02 325xi EML light comes on at 2k rpm, no less no more. Abs and brake light and the triangle ! Are on constantly. It used to throw a code for stuck ICV but cleaned it and cleared it and hasn't been back since. No there's no codes but will trip the EML at 2k, turn the car off and only the EML goes away. The car was a salvage car with minor damage to the pas front suspension. But had set the curtain and door bag off. I also had to put a mass air in the car, was missing it when I bought it. This is my first BMW but I've worked on plenty of cars. I also went through the glove box fuse panel and everything's good. Is there another fuse box somewhere? I saw somebody say a 30amp in the "E box" any help would be much appreciated trying to get this thing ready for inspection.

Sent from BimmerApp
DoubleOhSeven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 04:53 PM   #18
jmo69

My Ride: 2003 325xi e36 328is
This came up when I googled it. https://www.google.com/search?q=BMW+...2F%3B800%3B533

2003 325xi StahlGrau metalic almost modless, wife's DD. 1998 328is lowered, X-brace, Sparco strut brace, HIDs, AEs, almost everything blacked out, my DD.
jmo69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 04:57 PM   #19
DoubleOhSeven

Awesome, thank you! Gonna go check them right now.

Sent from BimmerApp
DoubleOhSeven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 05:09 PM   #20
jmo69

My Ride: 2003 325xi e36 328is
Glad I could help, now I know where it is myself.

2003 325xi StahlGrau metalic almost modless, wife's DD. 1998 328is lowered, X-brace, Sparco strut brace, HIDs, AEs, almost everything blacked out, my DD.
jmo69 is offline   Reply With Quote