E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Suspension & Braking

Suspension & Braking
Have some questions about suspension or brake setups for your E46 BMW? Get all your answers here!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-18-2013, 11:38 PM   #1
Rahsblk330i

My Ride: 328i
330i zhp? Suspension

What kinda struts come on this vehicle and what should I have on the vehicle i baught the car with the present suspension I'm not impressed. The steering is tight but I want everything tight just like it any suggestions ?

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 04-18-2013, 11:43 PM   #2
tock172
Beachtown Bill Collector

My Ride: '99 Techno Violet M3
They're probably completely worn out. How many miles do you have? Order a set of Bilstein sport dampers. You will not be disappointed.

1999 Techno Violet Metallic BMW M3
2005 Audi B6 S4 quattro 6MT
2004 BMW 330i
1986 BMW 535i

tock172 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 11:43 PM   #3
Solidjake
Zero. Oil. Leaks.

My Ride: 2002 330i
What's the mileage on the car?
Solidjake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 11:47 PM   #4
Hermes

My Ride: cars older than you
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rahsblk330i View Post
What kinda struts come on this vehicle and what should I have on the vehicle i baught the car with the present suspension I'm not impressed. The steering is tight but I want everything tight just like it any suggestions ?
likely Sachs, I never looked since I plan on an upgrade. The only difference from regular Sport Package suspension are the front control arms, so whatever you find for sport is the same.

Personally, my ZHP will soon be receiving a full TCK Racing Smart Design D/A Coilover Kit. Lots of $$$, but worth it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tock172 View Post
They're probably completely worn out. How many miles do you have? Order a set of Bilstein sport dampers. You will not be disappointed.
Bilstein HD (over Sport), but preferably Koni Yellows (IMHO) if you're only replacing struts and shocks. Probably should buy a set of springs, xi rough road strut reinforcement plates, and some upgraded rear shock mounts at the same time. Make sure to buy a progressive set of springs as you likely don't own a track car, therefore don't need linear springs.

Respect Your Elders

Last edited by Hermes; 04-18-2013 at 11:52 PM.
Hermes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 12:46 AM   #5
Rahsblk330i

My Ride: 328i
Need something that can handle these f@$)Ed up nyc street
Rahsblk330i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 10:08 AM   #6
trizzuth

My Ride: gobbles oil like a B
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rahsblk330i View Post
Need something that can handle these f@$)Ed up nyc street
Then you must get touring heavy duty shocks and raise it up like a 4x4.
Old 04-19-2013, 04:59 PM   #7
Alex323Ci

My Ride: M3 & 323Ci (sold)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermes View Post
likely Sachs, I never looked since I plan on an upgrade. The only difference from regular Sport Package suspension are the front control arms, so whatever you find for sport is the same.

Bilstein HD (over Sport), but preferably Koni Yellows (IMHO) if you're only replacing struts and shocks.
curious why you suggest the Bilstein HD over the Bilstein Sport with the factory "sport" springs? do people find these to be a better match in the travel?
Old 04-20-2013, 10:04 PM   #8
Hermes

My Ride: cars older than you
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex323Ci View Post
curious why you suggest the Bilstein HD over the Bilstein Sport with the factory "sport" springs? do people find these to be a better match in the travel?
my experience over many chassis codes with the two versions, I just prefer the feel of the HD's over the Sport's

Respect Your Elders
Hermes is offline   Reply With Quote