E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > Health & Fitness

Health & Fitness
Discuss any topics related to heath and fitness here.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 04-19-2013, 01:21 PM   #1
DylloS

My Ride: nothing
We have a huge problem around here (aka..Shut the F--K up and lift)

Everyone thinks they have to over analyze every fuucking thing they do. Sorry for cursing but it's getting kind of annoying repeating ourselves. There are about 7 of us around here that keep beating this into peoples heads and they just keep trying to argue it or find the magic potion of workout splits. IMO they want unrealistic goals in unrealistic times.

Here's your magic workout...

Squat-front or back or both. I don't give a fuuck.
Deadlift
Barbell Bench Press
Standing overhead press
Power Clean if you feel like learning it
Dips
Pull ups
Chin ups

Then add the accessory stuff in like lunges, leg press, RDL, dumbbell bench, push ups, front raises, side raises, shrugs, tri work, bi work. Do a split, do a ABA BAB split, do an upper/lower slip.

Arrange these lifts however the hell you want. Just hit them frequently and as hard as you can. If you are not failing you are not trying hard enough.

Do 3x5, 4x6, 3x12 whatever. You will make progress if you do this sh1t and stay consistent.

Lift often, eat a lot of good calories, and get a good night sleep.

Come back in 3 years and let us all know your progress.

God I wish I knew this sh1t when I was some of your guys ages.
DylloS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 01:29 PM   #2
M3Inline6
Ain't buying any more cars!

My Ride: A sexy ass ///M4!
:applause:
M3Inline6 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 01:34 PM   #3
dabears

My Ride: 2003 BMW M3
haha good job solly.

i hope all my nutrition blathering isn't considered "over analyzing", even though a lot of it is in a way.

Only set in stone things I see to give my version (at present) is

Train Intensely with Heavy Barbells / Eat a surplus of calories & hit your protein goals from whole foods / Get a good nights sleep

Everything else will either fall into place correctly, or is entirely optional to the individuals lifestyle.
Old 04-19-2013, 01:40 PM   #4
M3Inline6

Quote:
Originally Posted by dabears View Post
haha good job solly.

i hope all my nutrition blathering isn't considered "over analyzing", even though a lot of it is in a way.

Train Intensely with Heavy Barbells / Eat a surplus of calories & hit your protein goals from whole foods / Get a good nights sleep

Everything else will either fall into place correctly, or is entirely optional to the individuals lifestyle.

You do analyze the nutritional stuff, but it's good and it's sound advice/presentation. For the person who doesn't have a handle on their diet, it's an excellent reference point.

We're trying to beat into the head's of those who "want to get bigger" that the barbell is the catalyst to make that happen. It's funny, the biggest/strongest guys on the forum (...and the biggest/strongest of the smaller guys) all banter about the compound lifts, AMRAP's that include the compound lifts, etc.......while the smallest dudes discuss splits. Telling, isn't it?

Last edited by M3Inline6; 04-19-2013 at 01:44 PM.
Old 04-19-2013, 01:42 PM   #5
DylloS

Quote:
haha good job solly.

That just goes under eating right. I think way more people around here are worried about the angle they curl a dumbbell at rather than what they're eating and that's a damn shame.
Old 04-19-2013, 01:43 PM   #6
Gheybe

My Ride: F80 M3
Since talking to some of you, I've been hitting the gym consistently about 4 times a week. Definitely seeing improvements.
Diet still a bit out of whack, but sorting that out as I go.

Feels good. Will also be starting "Insanity" on May 1st, as a supplement to my gym workouts.

Thanks everyone who I've talked to, including solly, m3inline6, and a few other of you girls.
Old 04-19-2013, 01:43 PM   #7
5Serious

My Ride: 2002 525i
Eat work eat lift eat **** eat sleep. Muscles.

Bout time dyollos . Touché sir.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Bimmer App
5Serious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 01:48 PM   #8
M3Inline6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gheybe View Post
Since talking to some of you, I've been hitting the gym consistently about 4 times a week. Definitely seeing improvements.
Diet still a bit out of whack, but sorting that out as I go.

Feels good. Will also be starting "Insanity" on May 1st, as a supplement to my gym workouts.

Thanks everyone who I've talked to, including solly, m3inline6, and a few other of you girls.

Keep at it. Seek the pain......increase the gain!
Old 04-19-2013, 01:50 PM   #9
DylloS

Quote:
Originally Posted by gheybe View Post
since talking to some of you, i've been hitting the gym consistently about 4 times a week. Definitely seeing improvements.
Diet still a bit out of whack, but sorting that out as i go.

Feels good. Will also be starting "insanity" on may 1st, as a supplement to my gym workouts.

Thanks everyone who i've talked to, including solly, m3inline6, and a few other of you girls.
<3
Old 04-19-2013, 01:52 PM   #10
bimmerchop

My Ride: spins 4
Send a message via AIM to bimmerchop

"A turbo: exhaust gasses go into the turbocharger and spin it, witchcraft happens and you go faster." - Jeremy Clarkson

euro.techniks

EPL | TiAL | SDR | APR | Stratmosphere | 034 | ASP | SPEC | Fidanza | STaSIS | H-Sport | AWE | H&R | StopTech | BBS
bimmerchop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 01:53 PM   #11
Gheybe

My Ride: F80 M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3Inline6 View Post
Keep at it. Seek the pain......increase the gain!
My unbalanced strength is hilarious dude. I don't know what work outs are called, but the one where you sit on an incline and push up weights with your legs, I'm at 480lbs on 3x12 sets. For arm stuff, I'm right around 100lbs total It's absurd.
Old 04-19-2013, 01:56 PM   #12
z00

My Ride: E46 M3 Manual
Who are guys talking about? lol

It's not a huge problem. We're talking. I do all of those lifts you listed, but it's more complicated than just doing those lifts. Timing, frequency, form, sequence all matters.
z00 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 02:49 PM   #13
DylloS

Quote:
Originally Posted by z00 View Post
Who are guys talking about? lol

It's not a huge problem. We're talking. I do all of those lifts you listed, but it's more complicated than just doing those lifts. Timing, frequency, form, sequence all matters.
Everything you just said has been addressed

Timing=often
Frequency= often
Form goes without saying
Sequence=focus on big lifts. Of course they'll be first

It really isn't more complicated than this.

Last edited by DylloS; 04-19-2013 at 02:56 PM.
Old 04-19-2013, 03:06 PM   #14
kushy

My Ride: automatic m3
I thought the biggest problem is that the forum doesn't allow nudes so we can't post naked flex pics
kushy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 03:08 PM   #15
dabears

i blame the bodybuilders who are at such an elite level they require the extremely complicated splits etc. to see gains, and people look up to them and their current state and go "this is what I need to do to get there". When that is the furthest thing from the truth.
Old 04-19-2013, 03:18 PM   #16
M3Inline6

Quote:
i blame the bodybuilders who are at such an elite level they require the extremely complicated splits etc. to see gains, and people look up to them and their current state and go "this is what I need to do to get there". When that is the furthest thing from the truth.

That, and just like any other marketing scheme, they lie for the money.

From my observations of the IFBB pros that I've seen, they lift heavy and beef up during their off seasons (..to put on the mass and build an overall structural profile.....noticing a trend here???), and as they get closer and closer to a show, they alter their workouts to include lots of isolation exercises and they taper off the heavy barbell work (..and implement the cardio).
Old 04-19-2013, 03:25 PM   #17
DME46

My Ride: has free candy.
When I get back in the gym, I'm only going to be performing mostly compound lifts with minor isolation exercises. That's when I've noticed the most noticeable and fastest gains.

embrace this moment
remember
we are eternal
all this pain is an illusion
DME46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 03:56 PM   #18
z00

My Ride: E46 M3 Manual
Yes, but see devil is in the details. Yes, doing what you said will be good, but I don't aim for good, I aim for what's best for me. I care about efficiency. If I can get the same result with 12 sets instead of 16 why waste time and energy?

Frequency is highly debated. One muscle group per day works for some, and not others.

Sequence, little things matter like flat bench before incline. FS before BS. DL always first on back day, then pullups/chinups.

DB version of shoulder presses or BB? Standing or seated?

All of the above make a difference and it's important to know that difference. I like to know why/how something works instead of just using/following it.

I don't discuss nutrition much here because I eat clean and know my food.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DylloS View Post
Everything you just said has been addressed

Timing=often
Frequency= often
Form goes without saying
Sequence=focus on big lifts. Of course they'll be first

It really isn't more complicated than this.

Last edited by z00; 04-19-2013 at 03:57 PM.
z00 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 03:58 PM   #19
M3Inline6

Quote:
Originally Posted by z00 View Post

I don't discuss nutrition much here because I eat clean and know my food.

Hmmmm!

As for the other portions of your previous post, you're right that the devil is in the details. Some people may/will need to train more (..or less) to achieve the same goal. The frequency is a science that is only revealed with trial and error, but frequency is also dictated by adaptation. Example: Training legs once a week would not be enough for me at all. Even twice a week leaves more to be desired, but the day that I perform dead lifts more than makes up for what I need because of the overall intensity and weight used. When I need to mix it up, I'll throw in an endurance workout or something.

Last edited by M3Inline6; 04-19-2013 at 04:09 PM.
Old 04-19-2013, 04:08 PM   #20
dabears

i think if you discussed your nutrition more often zoo you'd find that isn't very true!

and you missed the point of this thread entirely in my opinion.