E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > Health & Fitness

Health & Fitness
Discuss any topics related to heath and fitness here.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 04-19-2013, 05:20 PM   #41
M3Inline6
Ain't buying any more cars!

My Ride: M4 and Range Rover S
Quote:
Originally Posted by z00 View Post
I do listen, the problem here is that I only listen if I understand. I don't like just listening. As you said there is a plethora of information out there, I try to make sense of it and discuss it here. For things I understand I listen. If I don't, I ask for an explanation and see if it fits my needs. I think this is better than just listening. It's like being able to read but not understand. It's not good.

Agree on rehab point vs Olympic lifts.
There's nothing to "make sense" of where the compound lifts are concerned. It's tried and true......and has been since before you were born. What's left to understand? What more explanation do you need?

Quote:
Yes, what you said is true, sleeping, lifting heavy compound movements, and eating is the core of it. But details will help. I have core stuff down. It's the details that I'm looking into.
See my statement above. At this stage in the game, details are YOUR worst enemy. At this stage in the game, you need not worry about the details.

Quote:
I get that I'm stubborn, I know I'm, but I'm rational. When I ask a question, and I get a rational answer, I accept it. The problem here is that people don't like to explain their answers. They just expect people to listen like M3Inline6 said. That does not work well with me; here, when I was in school, work, anywhere.
See my statement above.

Here's a question. We all know that HIV/AIDS can be transmitted sexually. We also know that condoms (..or abstinence) are two of the primary/best ways to avoid infection from sexual contact. We also know that latex is better than lamb skin, etc. Did you keep f*cking without a rubber until somebody provided you with the intricate details? All you need to know is that AIDS/HIV means certain death. All you need to know is that the compound lifts are the mass muscle builders.

Last edited by M3Inline6; 04-19-2013 at 05:25 PM.
M3Inline6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 07:31 PM   #42
z00

My Ride: E46 M3 Manual
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3Inline6 View Post
There's nothing to "make sense" of where the compound lifts are concerned. It's tried and true......and has been since before you were born. What's left to understand? What more explanation do you need?

See my statement above. At this stage in the game, details are YOUR worst enemy. At this stage in the game, you need not worry about the details.

See my statement above.

Here's a question. We all know that HIV/AIDS can be transmitted sexually. We also know that condoms (..or abstinence) are two of the primary/best ways to avoid infection from sexual contact. We also know that latex is better than lamb skin, etc. Did you keep f*cking without a rubber until somebody provided you with the intricate details? All you need to know is that AIDS/HIV means certain death. All you need to know is that the compound lifts are the mass muscle builders.

From your answer it tells me you care about the practical part of things. I want to understand the science/theory driving the practical part.

Man I feel bad for your students, do you teach them Capoeira the same way? When a student asks you why do you drive with the hip when kicking? Do you tell them you just drive with the hip, you dont need to know why, just drive with the hip when kicking?

I might see what you said works with a student that did not have any previous experience. But with someone who has been practicing it's much more efficient to explain why a certain move is done in a certain way.

To answer your STD question, before learning to use rubber I learned how viruses are transmitted and how condoms work. Fluid exchange is one way. Condoms won't help with HVP and Herpes (infection could happen with skin contact if there is an outbreak).

See you provided a good example, in school I was told to use a condom, teachers explained the above, which made me aware of the how/why, instead of not knowing about other factors that could still hurt me even if I use rubber.

Last edited by z00; 04-19-2013 at 07:32 PM.
z00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 08:25 PM   #43
sweetbro858

My Ride: BMW
Old 04-19-2013, 08:44 PM   #44
M3Inline6

We have a huge problem around here

Quote:
From your answer it tells me you care about the practical part of things. I want to understand the science/theory driving the practical part.

Man I feel bad for your students, do you teach them Capoeira the same way? When a student asks you why do you drive with the hip when kicking? Do you tell them you just drive with the hip, you dont need to know why, just drive with the hip when kicking?

I might see what you said works with a student that did not have any previous experience. But with someone who has been practicing it's much more efficient to explain why a certain move is done in a certain way.

To answer your STD question, before learning to use rubber I learned how viruses are transmitted and how condoms work. Fluid exchange is one way. Condoms won't help with HVP and Herpes (infection could happen with skin contact if there is an outbreak).

See you provided a good example, in school I was told to use a condom, teachers explained the above, which made me aware of the how/why, instead of not knowing about other factors that could still hurt me even if I use rubber.
You already know the science behind barbell work (...large muscle recruitment, CNS activity, hormonal benefits, intrinsic/extrinsic muscle growth, core muscle recruitment, blah, blah, blah...), yet you still choose to debate about it. Rather than continue this I'll answer your Capoeira inquiry. If my student were to ask me about hip drive during a kick, I'd simply state that power is derived from the hip, and without hip drive the kick lacks effectiveness. MY STUDENTS would understand and absorb that which matters, and they would not be concerned with minutia. Why? Because the minutia is largely irrelevant at the end of the day when they need to defend themselves and focus on the efficacy of what they are trying to achieve. Sure, YOU might say that they "listen blindly", but God damn it if they aren't little badasses that make me a proud f*cking teacher when I observe them in motion or sparring with someone. THAT is what matters!

P.S. You failed exactly where I expected you to fail (...because you're not listening). I wasn't talking about HPV or Herpes, I was talking about HIV/AIDS. HPV and Herpes are/were irrelevant to the point that I was making about HIV/AIDS. When my FTO said, "New boot, when you pull over a vehicle, angle the car this way to protect yourself from XYZ". Do you think I responded with some bullsh|t rhetoric about the who's, the when's and the why's? No, I shut the f*ck up and listened because Mr.FTO was telling me what I needed to know to potentially save my life and that's ALL THAT MATTERS. I could get into the minutia (..or the "details") once I had my sh|t together. And much like police work, weight lifting takes quite a bit of time before you have your sh|t together.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app

Last edited by M3Inline6; 04-19-2013 at 09:24 PM.
Old 04-20-2013, 09:46 AM   #45
BreakMyWallet

My Ride: B6 A4/ Mini Cooper S

Lift heavy. Switch it up. Eat whatever you want. Look like me. BOOM.

Old 04-20-2013, 09:47 AM   #46
BreakMyWallet

My Ride: B6 A4/ Mini Cooper S

Thread needs to be changed to "shut up and lift"

Old 04-20-2013, 11:54 AM   #47
M3Inline6

Quote:
Originally Posted by BreakMyWallet View Post
Thread needs to be changed to "shut up and lift"

Done!
Old 04-20-2013, 12:01 PM   #48
sweetbro858

Quote:
Done!
Can you actually expand on this?

Quote:
You already know the science behind barbell work (...large muscle recruitment, CNS activity, hormonal benefits, intrinsic/extrinsic muscle growth, core muscle recruitment, blah, blah, blah...)
Feel free to summarize all, but mainly cns activity.
Old 04-20-2013, 12:05 PM   #49
dabears

My Ride: 2003 BMW M3
Old 04-20-2013, 12:11 PM   #50
M3Inline6

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetbro858 View Post
Can you actually expand on this?

Feel free to summarize all, but mainly cns activity.

The heavy compound lifts fatigue the CNS in a way that isolation or non-compound lifts can't. That fatigue generates changes in your body (...namely the release of growth hormones to repair the body, endocrine response, etc.), thus causing your entire body to grow and adapt to the stress. Because of the intensity of that fatigue, recovery time is often longer. I'm sure that you can find a more in-depth analysis, but that's the gist of what I was referring to.

Last edited by M3Inline6; 04-20-2013 at 12:15 PM.
Old 04-20-2013, 12:22 PM   #51
dabears

My Ride: 2003 BMW M3
lol I think he was making fun of zoo, but good summary of CNS stimulation too
Old 04-20-2013, 01:29 PM   #52
dwass325

My Ride: CTA
Send a message via AIM to dwass325
All I'm going to add for now... a lot of people take solace in their understanding/analysis of the details when their physiques show clearly that they don't have a solid understanding of the basics.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacques chirac View Post
I don't see what is ridiculous by robbing with a sword.A sword in one od the most lethal wepon !!!

It's more easy to kill with a sword than with a gun.

A sword is more frightening than toy-looking gun like glock.

robbing with a sword is a good thing
dwass325 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 02:12 PM   #53
kushy

My Ride: automatic m3
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwass325 View Post
All I'm going to add for now... a lot of people take solace in their understanding/analysis of the details when their physiques show clearly that they don't have a solid understanding of the basics.
go on...
kushy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 02:18 PM   #54
sweetbro858

Quote:
The heavy compound lifts fatigue the CNS in a way that isolation or non-compound lifts can't. That fatigue generates changes in your body (...namely the release of growth hormones to repair the body, endocrine response, etc.), thus causing your entire body to grow and adapt to the stress. Because of the intensity of that fatigue, recovery time is often longer. I'm sure that you can find a more in-depth analysis, but that's the gist of what I was referring to.
Gotcha. Thanks
Old 04-20-2013, 06:13 PM   #55
bgsmith

My Ride: No longer an e46
Send a message via AIM to bgsmith
Funny how people have come in here and turned Solly's thread into exactly what he was saying is wring with the forum

Either way it inspired me to start a progress thread.

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthr...5#post15359175
Old 04-20-2013, 06:44 PM   #56
DylloS

My Ride: nothing
Quote:
Originally Posted by bgsmith View Post
Funny how people have come in here and turned Solly's thread into exactly what he was saying is wring with the forum

Either way it inspired me to start a progress thread.

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthr...5#post15359175
Don't worry. That person was the inspiration for this thread lol
DylloS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 09:58 PM   #57
Green_Shine

My Ride: Back seat riding
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwass325 View Post
Those that can, do. Those who cannot, coach.
Old 04-21-2013, 01:12 AM   #58
z00

lol, finally I inspired someone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green_Shine View Post
Those that can, do. Those who cannot, coach.
Old 04-21-2013, 01:20 AM   #59
z00

Quote:
You already know the science behind barbell work (...large muscle recruitment, CNS activity, hormonal benefits, intrinsic/extrinsic muscle growth, core muscle recruitment, blah, blah, blah...), yet you still choose to debate about it. Rather than continue this I'll answer your Capoeira inquiry. If my student were to ask me about hip drive during a kick, I'd simply state that power is derived from the hip, and without hip drive the kick lacks effectiveness. MY STUDENTS would understand and absorb that which matters, and they would not be concerned with minutia. Why? Because the minutia is largely irrelevant at the end of the day when they need to defend themselves and focus on the efficacy of what they are trying to achieve. Sure, YOU might say that they "listen blindly", but God damn it if they aren't little badasses that make me a proud f*cking teacher when I observe them in motion or sparring with someone. THAT is what matters!

P.S. You failed exactly where I expected you to fail (...because you're not listening). I wasn't talking about HPV or Herpes, I was talking about HIV/AIDS. HPV and Herpes are/were irrelevant to the point that I was making about HIV/AIDS. When my FTO said, "New boot, when you pull over a vehicle, angle the car this way to protect yourself from XYZ". Do you think I responded with some bullsh|t rhetoric about the who's, the when's and the why's? No, I shut the f*ck up and listened because Mr.FTO was telling me what I needed to know to potentially save my life and that's ALL THAT MATTERS. I could get into the minutia (..or the "details") once I had my sh|t together. And much like police work, weight lifting takes quite a bit of time before you have your sh|t together.

You still explain part of the answer to your students, you're not just telling them to follow blindly.

I hope you don't teach sex education, you'll be very bad at it
Old 04-21-2013, 01:24 AM   #60
M3Inline6

Quote:
You still explain part of the answer to your students, you're not just telling them to follow blindly.

I hope you don't teach sex education, you'll be very bad at it

Excuse me for being frank but.....you seriously are an idiot. Really! Read the very first sentence in that response again.

Last edited by M3Inline6; 04-21-2013 at 06:15 AM.