E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > Health & Fitness

Health & Fitness
Discuss any topics related to heath and fitness here.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 05-22-2013, 09:22 AM   #101
Glight

My Ride: 2003 325i
Quote:
Originally Posted by k2pilot View Post
I like this, it's simple and straightforward... So I live in the boonies and am getting tired of being scrawny (5'7" 133lbs), what equipment should I pick up for all that stuff? Do you find it used very often? My goals aren't too lofty, 145-150 and cut/healthy is all I'm looking for.

I'm figuring the consensus here is eat well (which I do), and do these things?
http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showth...8920551&page=1
Budget is the most important question here. You can buy cheap stuff that you will end up replacing if you ever get more serious with it (and can probably sell the cheap stuff for not much less than you paid for it) or you can buy some decent stuff from day 1 and never have to think about it again. If you decide its not for you the quality stuff will sell lightning fast for almost what you paid for it.

How much space do you have and how high are the ceilings and how much do you want to spend?
Glight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 10:24 AM   #102
3bananas

My Ride: 1998 328is
Re: We have a huge problem around here (aka..Shut the F--K up and lift)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohde88 View Post
You don't need anything to start.

Do bodyweight exercises right now, today!

Burpees, pushups, shuttle runs, one legged squats, etc.

For a one weight system, get some medium weight dumb bells. Plenty to expand from that, but don't let a $500 in equipment stop you from working out.
This.

You can set up a decent workout with pushup variations, pull ups off tree limbs, rowing water jugs, pressing sandbags, etc.. You might eventually want to expand a bit, but utilizing bodyweight and various heavy objects can definitely work on a budget/lack of gym.

Sent from Bimmerapp

Old 05-22-2013, 10:32 AM   #103
dabears

My Ride: 2003 BMW M3
^ I think people new to lifting would get very disgruntled by that sort of workout. With a proper barbell workout, you can achieve newbie linear progression, and have constant motivation every week as you go up in weights... and it is SIMPLE!

My 2c is that if hes serious, either joining a gym and trying barbell lifts (my suggestion) or biting the bullet and buying his own equipment (still not too risky since you can get close to same value).
Old 05-22-2013, 10:50 AM   #104
DylloS

My Ride: nothing
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3bananas View Post
This.

You can set up a decent workout with pushup variations, pull ups off tree limbs, rowing water jugs, pressing sandbags, etc.. You might eventually want to expand a bit, but utilizing bodyweight and various heavy objects can definitely work on a budget/lack of gym.

Sent from Bimmerapp
he sounds like he's serious about getting some equipment and not concerned with this.
DylloS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 11:39 AM   #105
3bananas

My Ride: 1998 328is
Re: We have a huge problem around here (aka..Shut the F--K up and lift)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dabears View Post

My 2c is that if hes serious, either joining a gym and trying barbell lifts (my suggestion) or biting the bullet and buying his own equipment (still not too risky since you can get close to same value).
By all means, I agree that joining a gym or buying your own equipment is a superior option. But if budget is a problem, this is a way to get started. I was under the impression OP had limited access to these resources.

Sent from Bimmerapp

Old 05-22-2013, 11:40 AM   #106
rohde88

My Ride: S2000
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3bananas View Post
By all means, I agree that joining a gym or buying your own equipment is a superior option. But if budget is a problem, this is a way to get started. I was under the impression OP had limited access to these resources.

Sent from Bimmerapp
he's the son of rich parents!
Old 05-22-2013, 12:17 PM   #107
k2pilot

My Ride: Z4MC & B8 S4
Quote:
Originally Posted by DylloS View Post
What's your budget?

IMO these are the perfect places to start

A squat rack which is probably around $350 new, I got one used for $100 on craigslist. Get one with a pull up bar

a barbell and weight set. Usually sold in 300lb sets. It's about $200-300 new. The barbell isn't anything great but it is good enough. Mine has lasted years with multiple drops.

A bench to slide in the squat rack to bench press.

Then you can get random things as you wish. I love my olympic rings for dips, pull ups, chin ups, ring rows etc.

Most important thing is to eat a lot. Let us know if you have more questions or hit me up on fb
Exactly what I needed to know, those prices aren't too unreasonable. The thing I've been trying to improve on currently is a more regimented eating schedule, generally I used to just a small thing to eat around 10-11, and then eat a big dinner around 8-10, which is just unhealthy anyways.

my diet nowadays more often consists of 2/3 of these (I'll have breakfast and dinner, skip lunch, breakfast and a late lunch, skip dinner.. trying to improve my appetite):

Breakfast(at home):
Smoked Salmon
Yogurt and strawberries
Bacon
Sourdough pao frito with cottage cheese

Lunch:
Pho/vietnamese
Or
carne asada tacos (real mexican ones)
or
Fajitas (the unhealthy kind from chevy's)
or
Burger (fancy ones)
or
Gyro/middle eastern food (w/salad)
or
lamb flatbread (w/salad)

Dinner:
Steak
Or
Tandoori or chicken tikka masala
or
Sushi
Or
Some italian food (pizza included), this stuff is generally processed though.

So for most of this I'm eating out, though at very high quality restaurants (my food bill is enormous), and I will on the occasional drunken 2am night in SF get some fast food if there's no other option, but all in all not too bad. It seems like more fiber is a good idea, so I'm thinking green smoothies? One with each meal seems wise. Can I maintain this diet while upping the calories and call it good?

Quote:
You don't need anything to start.

Do bodyweight exercises right now, today!
I've been many of those things for some time, but I really don't weigh that much and it seems like the benefits quickly plateaued, that's why I've been wanting to get in to weight training. As I recall, my body type (ectomorph) responds best to a low rep high load scenario, anything else and I'll keep staying skinny.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glight View Post
Budget is the most important question here. You can buy cheap stuff that you will end up replacing if you ever get more serious with it (and can probably sell the cheap stuff for not much less than you paid for it) or you can buy some decent stuff from day 1 and never have to think about it again. If you decide its not for you the quality stuff will sell lightning fast for almost what you paid for it.

How much space do you have and how high are the ceilings and how much do you want to spend?
I'm a firm believer in buy once buy right, I've got a 3 car garage with two of the spaces occupied, I can dedicate the remaining one to a home gym, I could also set up shop in my hangar. Initially I wouldn't want to spend much over say $600, but if I make good progress and it's a smart investment, I will happily put in a couple grand.

Quote:
^ I think people new to lifting would get very disgruntled by that sort of workout. With a proper barbell workout, you can achieve newbie linear progression, and have constant motivation every week as you go up in weights... and it is SIMPLE!
This is exactly the case, as mentioned I've done bodyweight exercises and lose motivation after seeing negligible results, even after months of consistency, seems like weight training is the only viable option.

Quote:
I live about 12 miles away from the nearest gym, and they aren't terribly cost effective long term, so it makes far more sense to invest in the infrastructure I need now to save long term.

Quote:
he's the son of rich parents!
True that, but hey, I do work!

Last edited by k2pilot; 05-22-2013 at 12:20 PM.
k2pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 12:24 PM   #108
DylloS

https://www.facebook.com/SollydsStre...ioning?fref=ts

my home gym to give you an idea of what to buy.

I probably spend about two thousand that's all.
Old 05-22-2013, 12:29 PM   #109
dabears

hey, if you can afford it / have the space... a properly constructed home gym is the best! (i'm jealous...)

the problem with restaurant food is the portion sizes / nutrient breakdown of the food. (besides the cost, but I'm with you on food bill... mine is mostly groceries but utmost quality ones)

they are looking to maximize profits, and their biggest cost is the food. Most get away from this by buying / cooking in bulk, but the fact still remains meat is very expensive (and better cuts even more so). So you don't get "bang for your buck". Even paying $30+ for a good steak cut, you aren't going to find a ribeye over 12oz, and a tenderloin is usually 6oz. This isn't good enough for bulking. Canada it is actually out of the question, but usually in the states (from my own experience and watching shows) your portions sizes are much, much better (to the point of making people "bulk" the wrong way). The focus with 99% of high quality restaurant meals will be cheap carbs like bread, potatoes, pasta -> cheap fats like cheese -> animal protein. (and even worse for fast food).

What limitations do you have towards cooking majority of your meals? When I eat out at restaurants I get a salad + meat on top, or an entree + potato/veggie side. But when I'm looking to add strength and muscle, if I was eating out I would either not get enough calories, or get too many of the wrong kind... it needs to be an occassional thing, not a staple in my opinion
Old 05-22-2013, 01:08 PM   #110
Glight

When i have some more time later I'll put together a package for you for $1,500 - $2,000. It will be 90% of what you will need and should you ever decide to sell it you will recoup 90% of what you spent. If you decide to keep it it will last you 20+ years.
Old 05-22-2013, 01:50 PM   #111
k2pilot

My Ride: Z4MC & B8 S4
Quote:
Originally Posted by DylloS View Post
https://www.facebook.com/SollydsStre...ioning?fref=ts

my home gym to give you an idea of what to buy.

I probably spend about two thousand that's all.
Seems easy enough, messaged ya on facebook to

Quote:
What limitations do you have towards cooking majority of your meals? When I eat out at restaurants I get a salad + meat on top, or an entree + potato/veggie side. But when I'm looking to add strength and muscle, if I was eating out I would either not get enough calories, or get too many of the wrong kind... it needs to be an occassional thing, not a staple in my opinion
No limitations on cooking meals, I actually love cooking and have the facilities to do so, I just eat out frequently to socialize and leave my cave (get stir crazy otherwise), we've also got so many good restaurants here in wine country it'd be a sin not to indulge.

If I did the breakfast I listed everyday, a lunch in town (my house is far from work), and then grilled up a steak/chicken, fish dinner like this,

IMG_3412 by k2pilot, on Flickr

Would that be a good way to go? My guess is I'll get home, do the weight training, then cook up dinner. How time critical is it to eat after the workout? Could I buy some extra time between the workout and dinner with a green smoothie? Either by buying something like green machine (granted it's processed and loses most of the benefits of fresh plant matter), or a home made blend? Or just call it good with a protein shake?
Old 05-22-2013, 02:10 PM   #112
DylloS

Quote:

No limitations on cooking meals, I actually love cooking and have the facilities to do so, I just eat out frequently to socialize and leave my cave (get stir crazy otherwise), we've also got so many good restaurants here in wine country it'd be a sin not to indulge.

If I did the breakfast I listed everyday, a lunch in town (my house is far from work), and then grilled up a steak/chicken, fish dinner like this,

Would that be a good way to go? My guess is I'll get home, do the weight training, then cook up dinner. How time critical is it to eat after the workout? Could I buy some extra time between the workout and dinner with a green smoothie? Either by buying something like green machine (granted it's processed and loses most of the benefits of fresh plant matter), or a home made blend? Or just call it good with a protein shake?
PWO meals are the most important. Pig out on meats, veggies, good carbs. I would drink the green smoothie in addition but not before it.

Just take some time one or two times a week and make a sh1t load of food. Get a bunch of tupperware and prepare your meals.
Old 05-22-2013, 02:22 PM   #113
dabears

Quote:

Protein shake would be ideal, you aren't going to wither away if you don't immediately get amino acids after a heavy workout but its good to get some fast digesting protein within an hour or two. If you are looking to bulk, add some 2% milk instead of water. I usually come home from the gym around 6:30, start cooking and eat around 7:30, maybe a shake post workout maybe not.

And I hear you on the restaurants, I love good food myself... but I've learned I actually love to cook it myself even more, so I've been trying to create some pretty gourmet meals. Nothing wrong with being social and going out, just make the proper choices from the menus. That meal looks perfect btw, nice sear + finish on the steak.

No need for me to get complicated here... basically if you are eating lots of vegetables, fruit, a variety of meats, essential fats (from fish/other animal meats, avocados, olive oils, nuts etc.) and carbs to fuel your workouts (white rice or potatoes, preferably sweet with skin on) and eating until you are very very full you will see awesome progress week in, week out with your home gym + a properly structured barbell program. Avoiding processed foods will minimize fat mass gain as well, which is why it is difficult to eat out (except for fine restaurants, with proper food choices these mimic home cooked meals).
Old 05-22-2013, 03:38 PM   #114
Glight

Here's what I would buy with a $2,000 budget if I were starting from scratch

http://www.roguefitness.com/rogue-w-...-mount-rig.php + spotter arms ($700)

http://www.roguefitness.com/rogue-bt-bench.php ($200)

https://www.againfaster.com/en/shop/...-lb-plate-set/ ($550)

http://www.roguefitness.com/ader-kettlebells.php ($80)

http://www.roguefitness.com/spealler-speed-ropes.php ($20)

Used Airdyne from Craigslist ($200)

http://www.roguefitness.com/rogue-wood-rings.php ($70)

Total - $1,820. Including shipping you'd probably be right around $2,000 and set up real nice. Might have to add some iron weights from CL but that's cheap.
Old 05-22-2013, 03:38 PM   #115
dabears

I copied that Glight, thanks. I'll be looking to this within the next year or two hopefully.
Old 05-23-2013, 11:48 AM   #116
dabears

From a random reddit posting:

Quote:
I've been lifting for ten years.

I've looked at all different kinds of programs, lifting styles, supplements, I've seen fads come and go. Here's what I wish I'd known way back at the beginning (and not just when I started LG a few months ago):

All the stressing about tiny details, macros, what's the 'best carb', when to take this powder or drink that shake, rep scheme, when to split...altogether, it might make up 5% of your success. IF THAT. The other 95% comes from one word: CONSISTENCY. If there's a secret in this whole thing, it's that. And when I say consistency, I mean following the one, original, tried-and-true formula that has lasted the test of time:

1) lift hard on compound movements (squats, deads, chins, dips, bench, etc).
2) eat big, eat clean, eat real food.
3) rest.
4) drink a lot of water.
5) don't overtrain.

If you follow that CONSISTENTLY, you will get to where you want to go. Cutting might require a bit more detail but not much. I really believe that lack of progress is caused by the OCD-like obsession with details that has come to define bodybuilding. People get so mixed up in their thinking, constantly changing and tweaking every little variable that they just spin around in circles for years instead of just dropping the ego and being patient while following the above five rules.
Old 05-23-2013, 12:14 PM   #117
z00

My Ride: E46 M3 Manual
^ Great advice. But it's disappointing nothing is mentioned about rules for cutting. Anything similar?

Last edited by z00; 05-23-2013 at 12:14 PM.
z00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 12:22 PM   #118
dabears

Quote:
Originally Posted by z00 View Post
^ Great advice. But it's disappointing nothing is mentioned about rules for cutting. Anything similar?
don't stuff your face
Old 05-23-2013, 12:30 PM   #119
DylloS

Quote:
Originally Posted by z00 View Post
Quote:
don't stuff your face
lol z00 what do you think
Old 05-23-2013, 12:42 PM   #120
z00

My Ride: E46 M3 Manual
I was hoping for more details. Not overeating when cutting is obvious lol

Quote:
don't stuff your face